Honey Chicken & Roast beef

kshees

I am new to Royal after being long time Carnival cruisers and I have a strange question. We are going on the Oasis in May and I keep reading about honey stung chicken and how great the roast beef sandwiches are on board. What is the honey stung chicken, what does it taste like and where do you get it and why is the roast beef so great? Just curious. Thanks.

I am new to Royal after being long time Carnival cruisers and I have a strange question. We are going on the Oasis in May and I keep reading about honey stung chicken and how great the roast beef sandwiches are on board. What is the honey stung chicken, what does it taste like and where do you get it and why is the roast beef so great? Just curious. Thanks.

The honey stung chicken is served only on embarkation day at lunch, in the Windjammer (buffet). That's the novelty, because it signifies your cruise is starting. It's just a fried piece of breaded chicken.

The roast beef is served in Park Cafe every day.

Edited by clarea

I think the honey stung chicken is not as good as it used to be but it still is a tradition to have it in the Windjammer right when I board. It means my cruise has begun. It is also available on the room service menu anytime, that seems to be better.

Is it like a Chinese honey chicken? Is it spicy or sweet?

It actually has almost no flavor. I will allow that maybe it's better on some sailings than mine was, but yuck. Dried up piece of breaded chicken with no flavor.

I haven't heard about the roast beef sandwiches. I will give them a try next time.

Set your standards low and maybe you will like the chicken. :p The roast beef sandwiches are OK. There is so much wonderful food onboard, you don't have to settle.

I would highly suggest you purchase the Specialty Restaurant package that includes the Chef's Table and you will get to please your palate on a whole new level!

We have had the roast beef sandwiches in Park Cafe on both the Allure & Oasis. It is warm roast beef sliced fresh-more similar to a thin prime rib with au jus. It comes on a little roll with a touch of sea salt. Not at all like cold cut roast beef. We loved them!

We love the roast beef sandwiches at Park Cafe. It's thin sliced warm beef on a fresh bun with au jus. Yum.

The honey stung chicken is basically a fried, boneless chicken breast with a sweet flavor. It's usually pretty good, but if you don't catch it on the first day, its on the room service menu and comes with sweet potato files.

The roast beef sandwich is much like the Western New York "Beef-on-Weck" sandwich. In addition to the au jus it is served with horseradish sauce. Up here Charlie the Butcher and Anderson's have perfected it. On Royal's version the beef is sliced a little thicker, and the Kummelweck roll isn't as heavily salted or seeded. It's still a yummy take on Buffalo's second favorite regional specialty food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I usually find the chicken to be pretty cold and soggy. Maybe that's from fighting the crowds to find a seat at lunch the first day.LOL! Flavor okay. I don't see what people go crazy about either other than tradition. The CSR at RCI Thursday told me to try the roast beef sandwiches at Park Cafe. Never heard them do that before!

The roast beef sandwich is much like the Western New York "Beef-on-Weck" sandwich. In addition to the au jus it is served with horseradish sauce. Up here Charlie the Butcher and Anderson's have perfected it. On Royal's version the beef is sliced a little thicker, and the Kummelweck roll isn't as heavily salted or seeded. It's still a yummy take on Buffalo's second favorite regional specialty food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I was wondering if you could get it served with horseradish….I will be having this for sure….( Sunday Jan 26th Allure ).:)

I was wondering if you could get it served with horseradish….I will be having this for sure….( Sunday Jan 26th Allure ).:)

I always ask for extra. mmmmm nummy. sometimes there is gravy as well as au jus. ( I prefer the gravy but I am weird) enjoy with a cup of their excellent potato soup and you have the perfect light lunch.

If interested in the soggy honey stung chicken you can get it daily on the room service menu.

As far as the roast beef sandwich, get a double serving of roast beef...................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

The roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe is pretty good. I've tried it twice and always seem to get it from a piece that has a large layer of fat at the top that I wish they would cut off before slicing. You can get it with or without au jus, horseradish, mustard,, etc.

As far as the honey stung chicken goes, yes I always try a piece on embarkation day. It is hit or miss for sure, so I would try a small piece to see how it is that day before going back for more. I've had it where it's pretty bad, but also had it more than once when it was delicious! Tried it from room service and it was delivered hot, crispy and I believe it came with sweet potato fries -- double yum!

The above reply is exactly right: when the honey stung chicken is fresh and crispy, it is delicious. When it's sat for a bit, or from the bottom of the bin, it can be soggy and loses it's good flavor. When fresh, it's out of this world. It's the sauce that really makes it, though, so don't forget a big spoonful of the remoulade sauce in the bin next to it. Also, if you are a pasta salad fan, there is a tomato sauce based cold pasta salad on the first day that is delicious. You will find that RC buffet food is miles above anything you'll find on Carnival. No comparison.