Running on the Eurodam

Wish I had better news for you, but the sports deck is where runners are directed on most HAL ships. The promenade is a no running zone as it is "slippery when wet", and often is. The noise factor for those in cabins directly below could be another factor.

I have tried to run on the sports deck of the Noordam and NA, but zig zagging around all the obstacles gets old. It is just about as annoying as running on a treadmill. I have crossed some rave runs off my bucket list while in port, however. Good luck!

The noise factor for those in cabins directly below could be another factor.
There are no cabins below the promenade on the Eurodam but there are many public areas that wouldn't appreciate the thumping of a runner overhead. I think the main reason HAL doesn't want running on the prom is the potential for accidents because of the congestion.

I ran on the Maasdam on my March and December cruises. I ran around the deck above the Lido. I ran endless loops on the section between the crow's nest and the tennis and basketball courts. It's around 11-13 laps to make a mile. I just did it by time as there was no way to keep count. I felt like a hamster in an exercise wheel. A music player helps!

I just read that running is not allowed on the Promenade deck Is this so? And if this is so, where do they allow running?

In the morning you'll see people walking and running on the promenade deck.

No running during the day (except port days) when many passengers are enjoying the beautiful deck.

Runners may retun late night when the promenade is empty.

The best time, of course, is early morning.

Teak deck is the least slippery surface you'll see on the open decks.

There are no cabins below the promenade deck. Views are beautiful. Experience is inspiring.

No one on the ship cares if you are walking there or running there. No timers. No speedometers. No road police.

Utilize reasonable precautions.

Wear good shoes and enjoy!

Edited by cruisetrail

True, no one cares if you are walking there; there are no walking restrictions. When I was on Eurodam, there were clearly posted signs restricting running on the Promenade. There were no posted exceptions. It is an individual decision to heed or not.

True, no one cares if you are walking there; there are no walking restrictions. When I was on Eurodam, there were clearly posted signs restricting running on the Promenade. There were no posted exceptions. It is an individual decision to heed or not.

I agree with the above. My last three cruises (Noordam, Zaandam, and Eurodam) I made it a point to check for the signs. They do exist. They are, however, kinda small. They contain arrows captioned forward and aft, advise slippery when wet and no jogging.

Your choice as to compliance. Like many things aboard the ship, enforcement is lax -- the crew does not want any confrontation.

My husband and I are runners (I'm really more of a jogger) and he had to fit in a few training runs for a 10 mile race he was scheduled to run a week after we returned from our cruise. Running on the promenade is not a pleasant experience and should not be attempted.

I took a mid-morning brisk walk and that was difficult enough. People stroll (as is their right) and there is constantly work being done - painting, vent cleaning, general sprucing up, etc. There are a number of tight turns and blind corners. At one point there was a large tarp spread across the deck.

My husband ran 6 miles on the treadmill (I know - yuck) or stuck to Deck 10. However - he did a really nice run on Half Moon Cay on the trail behind the pirate ship bar. This was our fourth time there so he didn't mind squeezing in a training run at one of our favorite places in the world. I walked it later and it was very pretty back there, although hot and humid, much like running here at home June through August.

FYI - We both decided scheduling a run a week or two after vacation is a horrible idea. He was nervous a lot about what he ate and drank, afraid of residual effects from heavy salt or alcohol. Meanwhile, I ate and drank what I wanted to and was secretly pleased I missed the 10 miler registration (and only gained 1.5 lbs!)

Edited by 1884Vic

I was on the Eurodam in December. There were two signS. IIRC, the starboard side was near the most forward lifeboat station next to the door leading inside, and the port side was near the lifeboat station most aft. I might have that backwards.

However it does not matter if there is one sign or twenty. Our host (HAL) requests that no one jog on the promenade deck. You admit that you saw one sign and you chose to ignore it and the wishes of HAL.

That's interesting. I will pay attention to this.

I did not see that on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November.

Sure I will do on the promenade what I usually do.

Edited by cruisetrail

That's interesting. I will pay attention to this.

I did not see that on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November.

Sure I will do on the promenade what I usually do.

You say you will pay attention. How many signs would there have to be, how big would they need to be and where would they have to be placed in order for you to refrain from jogging / running on the promenade deck?

I have seen a try running on the Promenade deck but one is not supposed to do this.

This is strictly a walking deck for people who like myself either cannot run or choose to walk for our exercise. The treadmill is a great machine to run on for runners. There are several of them in the gym which is on the Lido Deck forward.

I have seen a try running on the Promenade deck but one is not supposed to do this.

This is strictly a walking deck for people who like myself either cannot run or choose to walk for our exercise. The treadmill is a great machine to run on for runners. There are several of them in the gym which is on the Lido Deck forward.

This is what I have to use at home when weather does not permit jogging outside.

Never ever on a cruise ship.

To sum it up. Many (most? all?) HAL ships have at least one sign asking that passengers refrain from jogging / running on the promenade deck. Even cruisetrail has admitted that he saw one.

Despite that, some people still choose to jog / run on the promenade deck.

Chances are pretty good that the ships crew will not say anything to you if you choose to jog / run.

Each passenger will make a choice.

Edited by richwmn

This is what I have to use at home when weather does not permit jogging outside.

Never ever on a cruise ship.

I've seen an elderly gentleman knocked over by a runner on the promenade. Sure, none of my business but it does seem at best thoughtless and certainly selfish behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The OP asked where running is allowed, not where no-running is enforced. There are a lot of rules for the benefit of the majority of passengers that are ignored by the selfish few, and not enforced by crew who wish to avoid confrontations.

Edited by catl331