Disembark Fort Lauderdale Port going to Airport

easyport

We have taken a free shuttle bus to the airport in the past - I would use this only if you had considerable time before your flight - as KK said they wait until the bus is full. (this is not a HAL transfer). I agree that a taxi is the fastest way to get to the airport.

Taxis are not necessarily the fastest anymore. If the port is full of ships the day you disembark the taxi queues can be up to three hours wait depending on the time you get off the ship. There is no free transport at the port. You can however prearrange a shuttle for about ten dollars per person which is usually the most efficient and reasonable.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

The airport is very close to the port, just under 5 miles. On Saturday & Sunday during high season there will be 5-7 ships in port. Many are large vessels & taxis may require a wait.

If you arrive on a weekday, taxis are usually plentiful & the fastest way to go.

Edited by POA1

We took the "free" bus 2 years ago February - when we exited the terminal we asked where the taxis were and were told where - but, we were also told that there was a shuttle bus - to the right of the terminal - it was free - however we did give the driver a tip. Things might have changed in two years.

Over twenty years of sailing in and out of Ft Lauderdale, short of walking to the airport which is obviously not possible, I think we've tried just about every method or mode of transportation to get from the terminal to the airport. Quite frankly we've settled on using a taxi. We've come into the port when there were no other ships and other times when it's been packed with maybe five ships and while it might have been slightly a longer wait with the multiple ships we still made it to the airport with no issues. Our worse experience, and that's a relative statement as it wasn't horrible, was HAL transfers but that just because of standing around waiting for the bus to fill and then watching to make sure our luggage stayed on the bus until we got to our drop off point. Not worth the hassle and certainly not cheaper.

Edited by Randyk47

As others have said- check the schedule and see how many ships will be arriving that day. We had six ships arriving on the Sunday we arrived, and we stood in line for a taxi for over an hour-- this was last month- and it was very warm and uncomfortable. Should we do another Fort Lauderdale cruise- I would prearrange some kind of transport. Worth more $$ if not having to stand in line in the heat. We were going to a hotel, not the airport. The hotel (Hyatt Place) did not provide pick up service at the port because as they said (very correctly) they did not want to "get into that mess".

{HAL transfers} Not worth the hassle and certainly not cheaper.
In every place we've ever compared costs, a HAL transfer is about the same per person as a taxi for two. Usually the taxi is cheaper, even including a tip. For a person traveling solo, then, a HAL transfer is about the same cost, and is sometimes the more convenient option. Edited by jtl513

There are some services that you can reserve in advance, we used All star. it was really cheap, I think about 16 for the 2 of us. Try google, for airport transport Ft Lauderdale

Thanks for the recommendation. All Star quoted $10 pp from the port to FLL.

We will disembark on a Monday - 4 ships including ours in port. Is that considered "busy"?

Edited by zelker

For a person traveling solo, then, a HAL transfer is about the same cost, and is sometimes the more convenient option.

You're right that the cost is about the same in both Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego; the HAL transfer costs less everywhere else I have used it.

I agree that the HAL transfer is more convenient, I think everywhere except Ft. Lauderdale.

In Ft. Lauderdale, the HAL transfer brought me to the terminal, but then went past it a significant distance. We had to walk back. For someone with a mobility problem, the walk uphill, dragging my carry-ons, was difficult. The taxi dropped me right in front of the curb-side check-in desk. Very easy.

For the same price, in Ft. Lauderdale I'll take a cab.

You're right that the cost is about the same in both Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego; the HAL transfer costs less everywhere else I have used it.
My experience has been the opposite.

In Venice the HAL transfers were $79 per person each way, and a taxi was 45 Euro plus a 5 Euro tip, or about $65 then.

In NYC transfers to/from LGA are $39 pp each way, and a taxi for two was cheaper (including tip) on a Saturday and a Sunday. We used flat rate one way and metered the other way, and they worked out about the same. Even on a weekday I'm pretty sure the taxi would be cheaper.

In Barcelona, the transfers were $25 pp, and an "estimator" site said that a taxi would run about 33 Euro including an airport surcharge of 3 E and and surcharge of 1 E per bag, so with a tip the taxi would have been just slightly cheaper. We opted for the HAL transfer ... and they put us in taxi with one other woman going to the ship! (We were joining the last segment of a GV, so there were only about 20 people flying in that day.)

Edited by jtl513

There are some services that you can reserve in advance, we used All star. it was really cheap, I think about 16 for the 2 of us. Try google, for airport transport Ft Lauderdale

That's about what a taxi costs, give or take a dollar or two.