Specialty restaurant last night

Looking to book our reservations in the specialty restaurants for our upcoming March 9 cruise on Independence. On our last cruise on Liberty we booked Portifinos on the last night of the cruise mainly because IMHO the MDR menu is least appealing on the last night. However, we found Portifinos to also be subpar. The bread basket was non existent and food just ok. Has anyone else experienced this in the specialty restaurants or was this a fluke? Thanks for your input. Also our first with Gionani,s Table will we be happy?

I don't think Giovannis is far superior to Portofino by any means...

Atmosphere wise, Portofino is more upscale than Giovannis. Food wise, quality is probably slightly higher in Portofino, but I like both menus equally.

I think both are fantastic. I've never had a bad experience with either. Chops, on the other hand, we did have a subpar experience with on Oasis. Sometimes it is just an off night.

Just off Serenade of the Seas, and we eat at Givionni's Tale twice the first night (half priced) and the last night. Meals and service great. Get the 3 specialty dining package on the ship is cheaper than pre booking and the available times on board are better. We like to eat early and pre booking only allowed late. On ship we were able to eat early. Only Chops was busy on first night. We eat at Izumi, just OK, if going again would only order the spicy tuna roll and the chrispy spicy shrimp roll. They were good. Did not go to Mexican (Rita's) or Chefs Table (pricey and we don't drink wine so was not worth the wine with dinner parings).

I don't think Giovannis is far superior to Portofino by any means...

Atmosphere wise, Portofino is more upscale than Giovannis. Food wise, quality is probably slightly higher in Portofino, but I like both menus equally.

I think both are fantastic. I've never had a bad experience with either. Chops, on the other hand, we did have a subpar experience with on Oasis. Sometimes it is just an off night.

Hmmmm. That is good to know. There are so many varied comments on the food that it is hard to gage. The reality (for me) is that I am a terrible cook so it is rare for me to be disappointed in food other than what I cook. Plus I love Italian food so I expect I would enjoy either restaurant. Actually, I'll probably be totally satisfied with the MDR and the Windjammer too. I'll find out soon!

Looking to book our reservations in the specialty restaurants for our upcoming March 9 cruise on Independence. On our last cruise on Liberty we booked Portifinos on the last night of the cruise mainly because IMHO the MDR menu is least appealing on the last night. However, we found Portifinos to also be subpar. The bread basket was non existent and food just ok. Has anyone else experienced this in the specialty restaurants or was this a fluke? Thanks for your input. Also our first with Gionani,s Table will we be happy?

We also did not care for the menu on the last evening of our recent Liberty cruise and we ate at Chops the last night on both cruises. Wonderful food and service.:)

Yes, the buy one get one free at specialty restaurants for the 1st night are only for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle.

Could you tell me if there were any restrictions,such as must be for four people or you must be Diamond + or above to get this deal on 1st night. Thanks

Am I correct at deducing that since no one responded, there is no difference in food or service experienced in the specialty restaurants on the last night of the cruise - at least none perceived. In that case I will try again on Independence.

We eat in the specialties regularly and have never seen a difference in service based on what night we go. In fact, on my last cruise, the Allure, our sub-par service was mid-cruise in 150. We ate Giovanni's on the last night and it was excellent.

We were on Brilliance 2 times in Dec and Chops was Wonderful..Last week we ate at Chops on Serenade and it was sub par..excuse..given was new chef and this was his first on own..Filet was great cut..served on cold plate as was side dishes which meant everything was not hot when served ..also s l o w service. so you see same class ship..different review. Brilliance,,2 thumbs up...Serenade 1 thumb down...;)

Interesting question. We went to Portofinos as well. It was ok, but I'm not sure I'd go back. I'd be interested in how Giovanni's is as well.

There is no rhyme or reason for it, and to me it is inexcusable, but the experience in the specialty restaurants varies across the fleet, and sometimes from cruise to cruise. You would think that RC would put some effort into guaranteeing that this is always a "premium" experience.

That having been said, I just had dinner at Giovanni's Table on the Independence on December 29th.

Service was excellent. Food was good without being excellent, which was a disappointment, because it was a much better experience on the Oasis and the Allure, every time.

I, too, like to skip the last night in the MDR. My least favorite menu.

Yes, the buy one get one free at specialty restaurants for the 1st night are only for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle.

Just off the Freedom. We found out that BOGO for D+/Pinnacle....as long as you PAY for the BOGO on the first night you can dine ANY night. Just tell them that this is what you want to do. We also found this to be true on the Brilliance last month. I wish I had learned this sooner !! :):)

• 1 month later...

Just returned on FOTS, had a wonderful dinner at specialty restaurant, Portofino's. Ordered the filet, perfectly grilled with an added slice of Ahi tuna. I think on our next cruise will order the tuna and skip the filet. The veal and mushroom risotto with delicious !!!! Very flavorful . However, did not have the same experience at Chops Grill and is need of a makeover, IMO. RC portrays Chops as a high end steak restaurant, mid range at best! Steaks are not grilled on an open flame. The steaks were delivered to our table at room temperature as well as most of the other food. We were offered variety of sauces for the steak, the red wine reduction was fabulous Overall, the meal tasted good and the steak was the perfect done ness. OMG, how could I forget, the best dessert on the cruiseTiramasu from Portofino's.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App