Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

Not such a silly question. I have been on TAs that stopped in Bermuda, Madeira, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Not all on the same cruise but there were stops on all three of our TA cruises.

I should have explained that the well-travelled people with whom I was having the discussion were "of a certain age" and should have been aware of the traditional Atlantic crossing. They were certainly aware of the great ships of not so long ago - famous ships that were built to operate the express liner service, often called the Atlantic Ferry. It seemed as if they thought the Queen Mary, Normandie, France, Nieuw Amsterdam, Rex, and dozens more (ships they had heard of) were built as cruise ships. They were aware that one-way cruises or positioning voyages meander across the Atlantic - having taken some themselves - but seemed to be unaware that many fine ships ran the traditional routes, such as Cunard and Canadian Pacific on the Montreal-Liverpool run and Cunard and many other European lines on the New York - Europe routes. I let them know that our favourite voyages continue to be the Atlantic crossing on Cunard (lengthened to seven nights from five because of the cost of fuel) and they reacted as if a fast - or reasonably fast these days! - crossing was something new.

While on a Collector cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I unfortunately overheard the following request at the Customer Service desk. A couple explained to the very patient customer service person that they washed all their clothes in the bathtub and didn't realize the ship did not have self laundry facilities, and therefore, could not dry their clothes. They wanted HAL to give them a break for their drying services. :eek:

Thought I'd heard just about everything, but this took the cake! Don't know how this was resolved, as I left once I picked up the rented DVD movie.

While on a Collector cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I unfortunately overheard the following request at the Customer Service desk. A couple explained to the very patient customer service person that they washed all their clothes in the bathtub and didn't realize the ship did not have self laundry facilities, and therefore, could not dry their clothes. They wanted HAL to give them a break for their drying services. :eek:

Thought I'd heard just about everything, but this took the cake! Don't know how this was resolved, as I left once I picked up the rented DVD movie.

Wow, that's a good one:D. It's a wonder they didn't string a close line up on the balcony (if they had one).

Haven't had a chance to read all posts yet, so hope this is not already mentioned. I think my favorite was asked by someone getting ready for an Alaskan cruise---

"Can we use American money in Alaska?"

Forgot to say the poster was from the U.S.!!!

For me some of my favorites were on the same cruise. It was on a Royal Viking ship in the 1980s. One woman thought that we just 'happened' to be in Tampa on the day the ship sailed. No, we'd booked the cruise months before and flew to Tampa specifically for the cruise. She was very surprised that people did that.

While at Montego Bay a woman asked me how we got to our next port. :confused: Not quite sure of what she was asking, I thought she wanted to know if we docked, like we did that day, or if we need to Tender ashore. Nope, her question was how the ship would get there. When I explained that we would sail there overnight, just as we had done leaving Tampa, she didn't seem to grasp that the ship would move.

I have a couple which made me laugh:

Someone asked and officer "how far above sea level are we?"

"I wonder how they find so many people called Stewart to look after all the cabins"

Friends were sailing Honolulu/Sydney when it was announced that they'd be crossing the International Dateline in ten minutes. There were people heard to complain at the Pursers Office that they weren't given enough time to get their cameras to take a photo of it.

[As to do they take US dollars in Alaska. We are Australian but lived in Alaska for six months over winter. We were often asked what language we spoke in Australia or were told how good our English was!!!! We also ordered items on the net from the lower 48 and were sometimes told that they did not ship to other countries]

Haven't had a chance to read all posts yet, so hope this is not already mentioned. I think my favorite was asked by someone getting ready for an Alaskan cruise---

"Can we use American money in Alaska?"

LOL! We get that here in Hawaii too.

I recently did a secret swap with an online club I'm in and the person who had me complained that I lived in Hawaii and she wasn't prepared for international shipping. O.o

Heard around 7:30pm in the Pinnacle Grill on the Eurodam. February 4, 2014.

Woman to waiter:

" I'd like the Caesar Salad with no anchovies and with Ranch dressing."

Actually I ordered this way for DH several times a few weeks ago in the main dining room. He just wanted a plain salad with Ranch dressing and this was the best way to get it.

LOL! We get that here in Hawaii too.

I recently did a secret swap with an online club I'm in and the person who had me complained that I lived in Hawaii and she wasn't prepared for international shipping. O.o

That sort of reminds me of the times Jay Leno did those "questions on the street" skits. Some of the answers - from "real" people - were hilarious, but sadly showed a complete lack of knowledge and an education gap.:D

That sort of reminds me of the times Jay Leno did those "questions on the street" skits. Some of the answers - from "real" people - were hilarious, but sadly showed a complete lack of knowledge and an education gap.:D

Or Rick Mercer's "Talking To Americans"...

We still love our neighbours south of the 49th parallel even if you know very little about us!

I can't recall much in the way of silly comments from my last cruise, aside from "How do they get waffles shaped like that?"

I think you phrased that very nicely. :D If I were to comment about those "on the street" interviews I'm not sure I would have been as kind. To this day I have to wonder if those people we high on something - or were they really that d _ _ b? :eek:

Or Rick Mercer's "Talking To Americans"...

We still love our neighbours south of the 49th parallel even if you know very little about us!I can't recall much in the way of silly comments from my last cruise, aside from "How do they get waffles shaped like that?"

A shame, and I'll admit to being one. In defense, I have always lived near Mexico, and in grammar school we studied as much of Mexican history as those in the north probably do Canadian. I love to play trivia, and have a couple of Canadian friends who know more about the USA than I do and I have been to over half the states. If I don't get any older, I may drive to the rest of them! This may show why the US is so low on world education tests; and dropping.

Alaska and Hawaii:

Don't feel all alone, the people in New Mexico have stories to last for days

Edited by Taxguy77
Add content.

We took our HAL tote bag on a Carnival Cruise. The "shopping expert" noticed it and said, laughing, "Did anyone DIE on your cruise?!" Yes, she was very tactful :eek:

A tasteless comment, which really begged for a response along the lines of "No. Did anyone fall overboard on yours?" My bad.

I over heard a couple while on a top deck coming into Acapulco bay. wife: "Oh look that is our balcony down there. husband: "No our balcony is on the other side of the ship." "Well it was on the other side until the Captain turned the boat around."