Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

Originally Posted by luckysadie viewpost.gif

As we were sailing away from Fort Lauderdale, a woman on the verandah below us asked. "Which way is the pointy end?"

This is so funny. I have the worst sense of direction and for years my DH thought it was just hilarious when we got off the elevator and I always turned the wrong way to get to our cabin. Then one day I miraculously discovered that there is a picture of the ship showing the bow and stern. I now proudly admit that I rarely turn the wrong way when heading to our cabin.

ROCKFAN2

• 2 weeks later...

On Prinsendam I was looking at the giant world globe by explorers lounge, a lady looking out the window sees a line of floating kelp and comes over to globe and points at the

longitude and latitude lines on the globe and says "do you think that is one of those line? "

I mean what can you reply to that ??????

WE crossed the international date line, I was at the front desk listening to a "lady" screaming at the desk staff that she "wanted a refund of the night she missed, it was a 20 night cruise and the day of the 12th disappeared so she wanted a refund" The front desk explained in every possible way how the dateline worked but just kept getting screamed at. So finally front desk said "mam you aree flying back to uSA at the end of the cruise arent you?" "Yes" "well you will gain a day flying home"

"well dont think I am paying the airline for that !" I didnt see the resolution as I was doubled over laughing around the corner

Mine was sitting behind two guys on a tender. The whole way in they were talking about how excited they were and what they were doing that day in Monte Carlo.......only problem was we were in Cannes so wrong city and wrong country :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Maybe they were planning on getting the train to Monte Carlo ? That's what we did ...

At dinner one memorable evening, the person seated next to me turned and said, apropos of nothing, "I've never understood why people speak Spanish in Puerto Rico."

We were not in the Caribbean and no one at the table had been talking about Puerto Rico. I was speechless...had no idea what to say. :confused:

During a port visit to Noumea, New Caledonia, passengers sitting behind us in the Lido, were complaining that when they were ashore, they could not understand the street names, as they were written in French instead of American.

I was told once that HAL, and specifically their Alaska sailings were a "Floating Nursing Home". What a laugh. There were all ages on our Alaska cruise with HAL!!

Not to mention the 600+ kids on the Amsterdam a few years ago.

The Lido pool and surrounding area became a playground

and was virtually unuseable to many onboard. It was crazy in there !

Thank goodness for the aft pool. ;)

During a port visit to Noumea, New Caledonia, passengers sitting behind us in the Lido, were complaining that when they were ashore, they could not understand the street names, as they were written in French instead of American.

"Boy, those French: they have a different word for everything !"

(author: comedian Steve Martin)

Not a cruise comment, but happened when my husband and I were cruising on HAL with our then 4-year-old daughter.

I am a very fair-skinned, blue-eyed, redhead. My husband is a large swarthy Greek man. Our daughter is a small Chinese girl. A lovely lady commented on how pretty our daughter looked and asked if she was adopted. I said yes, and the lady replied, in a stage whisper, "Are you ever going to tell her?"

Nah, the kid'll never notice. Well, bless her heart, that became a family joke!

It was some years ago when at the first dinner in the MDR we were getting to know our tablemates and someone asked where I was from. When I responded "Japan," one gentleman asked me how day-to-day life was now that we had been handed back over to the Chinese. I was so starled, I couldn't reply immediately.

Another gentlemen jumped in and said, "I believe you are thinking of Hong Kong. Japan is a different country."

The original questioner asked, "When did Hong Kong stop being a part of Japan?"

Not a cruise comment, but happened when my husband and I were cruising on HAL with our then 4-year-old daughter.

I am a very fair-skinned, blue-eyed, redhead. My husband is a large swarthy Greek man. Our daughter is a small Chinese girl. A lovely lady commented on how pretty our daughter looked and asked if she was adopted. I said yes, and the lady replied, in a stage whisper, "Are you ever going to tell her?"

Nah, the kid'll never notice. Well, bless her heart, that became a family joke!

I still think of your daughter as the sweet little girl I met on the Maasdam but that was six years ago. She must be a lovely young lady by now.

It was some years ago when at the first dinner in the MDR we were getting to know our tablemates and someone asked where I was from. When I responded "Japan," one gentleman asked me how day-to-day life was now that we had been handed back over to the Chinese. I was so starled, I couldn't reply immediately.

Another gentlemen jumped in and said, "I believe you are thinking of Hong Kong. Japan is a different country."

OMG!! ROFL :eek:

Overheard a rather large and loud American gentleman (clearly a smoker) whilst on a cruise ship coach tour saying how stupid it was that people were asked not to throw cigar or cigarette butts overboard. After all........" the ocean is huge and one cigar butt wouldn't make any difference". Maybe not to the ocean but it would if it landed on your balcony and caused a fire. He didn't seem to realise the significance of the request related to passenger safety as opposed to the environment! It wasn't particularly funny - just showed his ignorance.

Sadly he could have been someone's Travel Agent :D

Assigned time dining...one of our tablemates was staying in the PH suite. He told us we needed to have our gratuities removed from our bill to save money. REALLY....I don't think I would ever do that. I think quite a few of us give out extra on top of instead of taking away.

I love being considered one of the youngsters on the ship...it makes up for being considered old by my staff here at home :)

3 Star Mariner on HAL

Gee, I seem to remember those distant days. I'm now at the other end of the spectrum - but still going strong! :D

As we were sailing away from Fort Lauderdale, a woman on the verandah below us asked. "Which way is the pointy end?"

In the lady's possible defense, she may have been married to a sailor. Many of us that spent time on aircraft carriers routinely referred to the bow, stern, and the superstructure as "the pointy end, the roundy end, and the sticky-up part". This was thought to be the height of humor.

We took our pleasures where we could find them.;)

One of the very first comments that we have ever heard, on our first ever cruise, back in August 1974 on Sitmar's Fairwind (waiting to disembark) some woman commented "the food was so bad on this cruise that I wouldn't even feed it to my dog".

We thought the food (and service) was exceptional. To this very day we still wonder what she actually fed her dog.

:p

One of my favorites (and I'm sure I've posted this somewhere before), my husband had gone to one of the bars to get us a glass of wine and the guy sitting on the bar stool looked at my husband and asked "which ship are you on." Obviously sir, the same one you're on!