Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

After several days at sea most people find their SEA LEGS.

While visiting Volcano Park in Hawaii I was sure I felt the earth move like an earthquake before an eruption.

I ask the park ranger, "was that an earthquake?"

He replied "No we get that same question every Monday when you BOAT people visit us"

Did you feel the earth moving when you disembarked.:o

LOL if you had been on the October 2006 15 Day Circle Hawaii it WOULD have been an earthquake (that left the rest of us on Oahu without power for more than 24 hours). The stories from that cruise are HILARIOUS.

Yes, indeed! Mother and I are booked! :)

"Clue for Dave! ..." I just read your sig block and realized you are on the 24 Aug Amsterdam sailing RT Seattle. Yay! Looking forward to seeing you again (and RuthC for the first time!)

We will be spending a couple of days with our sons in our former home town of Seattle before embarking. Do you have any plans for Seattle?

(Added on edit: oops, sorry for the thread hijacking. Maybe we can come up with some silly comments on the cruise. ;=})

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Years ago I was asked by a fellow passenger "Where are you from?" (Standard on board question). When I answered West Virginia the gentleman stared at me, mouth agape and said "I didn't think people who lived in West Virginia could afford to cruise." I still chuckle every time I think of it.

Years ago I was asked by a fellow passenger "Where are you from?" (Standard on board question). When I answered West Virginia the gentleman stared at me, mouth agape and said "I didn't think people who lived in West Virginia could afford to cruise." I still chuckle every time I think of it.

Thank you :D That gave me a laugh-out-loud moment :D

"Clue for Dave! ..." I just read your sig block and realized you are on the 24 Aug Amsterdam sailing RT Seattle. Yay! Looking forward to seeing you again (and RuthC for the first time!)

We will be spending a couple of days with our sons in our former home town of Seattle before embarking. Do you have any plans for Seattle?

(Added on edit: oops, sorry for the thread hijacking. Maybe we can come up with some silly comments on the cruise. ;=})

Hey, Dave! Mom and I will fly into Seattle on the Saturday afternoon before the cruise, spend the night in some hotel, and then board the ship on Sunday. We'd like to fly a couple days earlier, of course, but the week prior to that cruise will be a busy one for me and I won't be able to finish up until Friday, August 22nd. We MIGHT fly on Friday night ... if I can manage that ... but otherwise we'll just come on out on Saturday. But ... we'll certainly see you aboard the lovely Amsterdam!

Hey, Dave! Mom and I will fly into Seattle on the Saturday afternoon before the cruise, spend the night in some hotel, and then board the ship on Sunday. We'd like to fly a couple days earlier, of course, but the week prior to that cruise will be a busy one for me and I won't be able to finish up until Friday, August 22nd. We MIGHT fly on Friday night ... if I can manage that ... but otherwise we'll just come on out on Saturday. But ... we'll certainly see you aboard the lovely Amsterdam!

We stayed at the Seattle Sheraton last year. I loved it because it was in the middle of Seattle so we were close to everything . Just a recommendation .

• 3 years later...

Encountered rough seas enroute to Hawaii. As the attendants worked to close the Lido pool, a woman attempted to climb the ladder. One moment her feet were visible on the lowest rung, as the ship pitched, her head was submerged.

A woman behind me: "Oh, look! They turned on the wave machine!"

Old thread, but still fun reading.

My funny is from the then Captain of ms Volendam. It was a trans-Pacific from Kobe to Vancouver. I was at a suite party and I jokingly said to him that I hoped he knew the way across the Pacific. He said" Oh, we're just following Princess." And darned if we weren't.

I feel very fortunate to have convinced my husband to go on his very first cruise with a pair of dear friends and myself. He was always saying..." BEEN THERE.. DONE THAT... NEVER WANT TO GO ON A CRUISE AGAIN... Of course he was referring to his time in the USMC and those 'cruises' he had to suffer through.. I think we convinced him after several all inclusive trips on land and now he is looking forward to the Cruise as much as I am.. NO, It won't be like your USMC Midshipman cruises.. yuck

Old thread, but still fun reading.

My funny is from the then Captain of ms Volendam. It was a trans-Pacific from Kobe to Vancouver. I was at a suite party and I jokingly said to him that I hoped he knew the way across the Pacific. He said" Oh, we're just following Princess." And darned if we weren't.

Charming!

I believe the statement was "No tipping requested or required". Many people took that as no tipping allowed.

I don't remember what the Holland doc's or brochure said but we were told by a travel agent in 1989 that on HAL there was no tipping allowed which made it a bargain compared to other lines. Since that was our first cruise we believed our travel agent and I am sorry to admit that we did not tip anyone. By the time of our 2nd HAL cruise in 1996 we had a different travel agent who explained that tipping was not required however most people did tip their room stewards and food and/or wine servers, plus anyone else who gave us exceptional service.

The silliest comment I ever heard was few short minutes ago as a reply on another thread here to someone who was asking a very valid question :

"Although I know the answers to your questions, I suggest you contact HAL directly, so that you will have an authoritative response. Smooth sailing $ $ $"

The silliest comment I ever heard was few short minutes ago as a reply on another thread here to someone who was asking a very valid question :

"Although I know the answers to your questions, I suggest you contact HAL directly, so that you will have an authoritative response. Smooth sailing $ $ $"

Wow. Just wow. I'm shaking my head.

Why bother to post at all, then, unless it's just to increase your post count? Certainly it wasn't a helpful comment.

Yeah, I saw that too. I thought it was such a weird response. If you're not going to answer the question, why bother responding??

Alaska and Hawaii:

Don't feel all alone, the people in New Mexico have stories to last for days

YUP! Our monthly New Mexico magazine has a permanent column called, "One of our Fifty is Missing".

Do we need passports to visit the US?

How do we prove our nationality to get on a plane?

Do we still use the Paso?

What do we use for zip codes?

Why would be celebrate the 4th of July?

Will the US government send Social Security checks here?

At least we don't have to pay taxes! :eek:

on and on.....

m--

I agree with you! What a silly response to someone looking for advice. Thanks for posting it, I missed it the first time around.

I agree with you! What a silly response to someone looking for advice. Thanks for posting it, I missed it the first time around.

Of course there is the real possibility that someone vapid enough to post that non-response would also be ignorant enough to think that his (quite possibly incorrect) notion was correct.

So, by refusing to reply with information which may very well have been incorrect, he may actually (inadvertently, of course) been doing the questioner a favor.

What a nice blast from the past to come across on my first day back on Cruise Critic in a half year! :D

I especially loved reading some of the back remarks ... including my own from (yikes!) 3 years ago!

Now, to the thread topic:

In January aboard the Rotterdam, during a VIP party in the Crows Nest, someone asked the Captain if he liked driving. The Captain grinned and said: "Love it ... especially when using my new Callaway XR 16 Driver." The passenger who asked the question never got the joke.