Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

Sounds like she has an old....really old....brochure. :D

That was the case when we cruised with them in 2002 to Alaska. They said that it was optional but that we were their guess and felt they treat us as such.

Danny

I was on a cruise with Silversea last month - my first with them. We had open seating at dinner. One night my husband and I were seated with two other couples. One of the woman asked what cruise lines we had been on. When I told her Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Holland America, her immediate reply was, "I would never sail on one of those cruise lines. They have such filthy people."

On the same note, I was on a cruise few years back and at a function in MDR a woman seated at our table said "my next cruise is to Australia, then I have been to every country in the world:

I asked her her favourite sights things she visited etc.. her replied silenced the lot of us "oh I never get off the boat nor would I mingle with those filthy native people."

Edited by BoatyBex

The silliest comment I've ever heard on a cruise was in the form of a question.

It was 2008 and I was on an Antarctica cruise aboard the Rotterdam. We were passing Elephant Island, all covered with ice and snow, and were awed by its harsh, rugged, desolate beauty ... yes, even despite the pungent odor of Penguin poo that was assaulting our senses.

ant03.jpg

A lady to my right was peering at the island through her binoculars as she asked: "I can see and smell the Penguins, but where are all the Elephants?"

Our dear RuthC, who was standing to my left, stated matter-of-factly: "They're on the far side, sliding down the slopes on their trunks." Laughing, she then began humming the tune to the "Teddy Bears' Picnic" song. I'm not sure why.

Here our dear Ruth, a few seconds after that event:

ant13.jpg

I love cruising with this dear soul.

It was 2008 and I was on an Antarctica cruise aboard the Rotterdam. We were passing Elephant Island, all covered with ice and snow, and were awed by its harsh, rugged, desolate beauty ... yes, even despite the pungent odor of Penguin poo that was assaulting our senses.

ant03.jpg

A lady to my right was peering at the island through her binoculars as she asked: "I can see and smell the Penguins, but where are all the Elephants?"

Our dear RuthC, who was standing to my left, stated matter-of-factly: "They're on the far side, sliding down the slopes on their trunks." Laughing, she then began humming the tune to the "Teddy Bears' Picnic" song. I'm not sure why.

ant13.jpg

A dear soul indeed!! :)

I know I think of Florida as a northern state that got tacked on to the southern end of the country. Do any southerners live there?
It varies regionally throughout the state. Where we are, just below Cape Canaveral and Patrick AFB, we are heavily populated by technical types and military, and retirees from both. I'm one of them.

I would guess that over my working years I encountered maybe 10% native FL "crackers" (born and raised here) at the company I worked for. BTW, in FL "cracker" is not considered a slur but rather a source of pride by many who claim it. Kinda like a FL DAR! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker

Edited by jtl513

How funny! (Thanks for the earworm, by the way: "... a picnic for teddy bears...":D)

Dave

Dear Rev

Nice to see you back here on CC.

Thanks for posting the photo of dear RuthC. She always looks so happy. You are so lucky to have cruised with her!

Thanks ... it's been about 5 months since I last posted anything on the Main HAL CC board. Time flies.

And, yes, I am VERY fortunate. RuthC and I did a little calculating and it turns out that we've cruised together (separate cabins, same ship and sailing) eight times since 2006 for a total of 116 days aboard ship together. Among many other things, she's fabulous table-time entertainment.

I sang it (softly) in a jury box one time.

The judge was canceling a scheduled trial day, and I started singing "'Cause that's the day the teddy bears have their pic-nic". :D

Good thing he didn't hear me.

ant03.jpg

ant13.jpg

I also love to read your posts. A sort of lapsed RC, but still a Christian.

Thanks ... it's been about 5 months since I last posted anything on the Main HAL CC board. Time flies.

And, yes, I am VERY fortunate. RuthC and I did a little calculating and it turns out that we've cruised together (separate cabins, same ship and sailing) eight times since 2006 for a total of 116 days aboard ship together. Among many other things, she's fabulous table-time entertainment.

I can't wait to help you add 14 more days to that tally in AUGUST!!!! WOOT WOOT!!

It varies regionally throughout the state. Where we are, just below Cape Canaveral and Patrick AFB, we are heavily populated by technical types and military, and retirees from both. I'm one of them.

I would guess that over my working years I encountered maybe 10% native FL "crackers" (born and raised here) at the company I worked for. BTW, in FL "cracker" is not considered a slur but rather a source of pride by many who claim it. Kinda like a FL DAR! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_cracker

Not to hijack the thread, but I am a native born and raised in IHB. Where are you at?

To contribute to the discussion, though, the silliest in recent memory was actually an all-in-the-family misunderstanding. I used to work for DCL and got very used to using nautical speak whenever referring to ships. My parents were on an Alaska cruise and I was online, looking at one of the port's webcams. In front of the camera was a small sea plane. I saw my parent's ship coming into view and asked them if they were on the port or starboard side of the ship. They replied port but they couldn't see the plane. Sure enough, the ship was traveling through the frame right to left. I even made my hands into "L"s to make sure I remembered which way left was. This went on forever. When they returned I was advised that they were looking right at the port and were obviously on the port side!

Not to hijack the thread, but I am a native born and raised in IHB. Where are you at?

To contribute to the discussion, though, the silliest in recent memory was actually an all-in-the-family misunderstanding. I used to work for DCL and got very used to using nautical speak whenever referring to ships. My parents were on an Alaska cruise and I was online, looking at one of the port's webcams. In front of the camera was a small sea plane. I saw my parent's ship coming into view and asked them if they were on the port or starboard side of the ship. They replied port but they couldn't see the plane. Sure enough, the ship was traveling through the frame right to left. I even made my hands into "L"s to make sure I remembered which way left was. This went on forever. When they returned I was advised that they were looking right at the port and were obviously on the port side!

ROFL! Too cute!!

"Table-time entertainment": you are very fortunate. If we had a chance to sit with her, we might just give up the table for 2!!

Hope you will be cruising HAL in the near future. And returning to these boards once in a while.

ant03.jpg

ant13.jpg

Ah a good one

I sang it (softly) in a jury box one time.

The judge was canceling a scheduled trial day, and I started singing "'Cause that's the day the teddy bears have their pic-nic". :D

Good thing he didn't hear me.

Yes, it was a good thing he didn't hear you. I bet it was picked up on the court reporting microphone, though!!!! ;) :D

And I can see how that song popped into your head, given the cancellation of a scheduled trail day.

I'm still clueless as to why THAT tune popped into your head in Antarctica concerning the Elephants on Elephant Island. LOL It still makes me laugh.

I'm still clueless as to why THAT tune popped into your head in Antarctica concerning the Elephants on Elephant Island. LOL It still makes me laugh.

You certainly don't think I can figure it out, do you??? :p

RuthC and I did a little calculating and it turns out that we've cruised together (separate cabins, same ship and sailing) eight times since 2006 for a total of 116 days aboard ship together. Among many other things, she's fabulous table-time entertainment.
One of my favorite cruise memories was when the HotMan presented you two with your 'chocolate medallions'. IIRC we were about a week short of earning them at the time. Now that we have earned our chocolate medallions, we're waiting, waiting, waiting... Anyway, we have a picture from that (yummy) presentation. :D

One of my favorite cruise memories was when the HotMan presented you two with your 'chocolate medallions'. IIRC we were about a week short of earning them at the time. Now that we have earned our chocolate medallions, we're waiting, waiting, waiting... Anyway, we have a picture from that (yummy) presentation. :D

I still have the ribbon that was attached. :p

After several days at sea most people find their SEA LEGS.

While visiting Volcano Park in Hawaii I was sure I felt the earth move like an earthquake before an eruption.

I ask the park ranger, "was that an earthquake?"

He replied "No we get that same question every Monday when you BOAT people visit us"

Did you feel the earth moving when you disembarked.:o

After several days at sea most people find their SEA LEGS.

While visiting Volcano Park in Hawaii I was sure I felt the earth move like an earthquake before an eruption.

I ask the park ranger, "was that an earthquake?"

He replied "No we get that same question every Monday when you BOAT people visit us"

Did you feel the earth moving when you disembarked.:o

It's called Mal de debarquement.