Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

We were on another cruise line and we heard this lady going on and on about how good the Captain was.

But that is not what she meant.

What she really meant to say was that he looked very distinquished in his uniform, had greying hair, was personable, handsome, and had a 'radio' voice. I don't think she had any knowledge of ship management skills or his seafaring skills.

We both thought that this was a little funny since to us the latter attributes are much more important to our safety and well being.

Silliest thread... I'm visiting ... in Spain and wondered if the shops and restaurants will take US Dollars or do I have to convert to Euro??

DUH.... You are not in AMERICA

Some foreign countries welcome U.S. Dollars, Mexico being one that immediately comes to mind. So the question is not completely crazy..

Some foreign countries welcome U.S. Dollars, Mexico being one that immediately comes to mind. So the question is not completely crazy..

Those countries are few and far between though and generally speaking, bringing their currency and offering US $, I have found the pricing better in their currency.

I have a mantra - when in Rome....

No one in the U.S. will take euros or pesos so why expect those in the other countries to reciprocate????

I take the currency of the country and it works well. I have seen the "looks" when the "do you take U.S. dollars" question get asked. I honour the countries I visit by using THEIR currency. I think that's a given - at least, for us.

No one in the U.S. will take euros or pesos so why expect those in the other countries to reciprocate????

We helped one older couple out when we were in Portugal - they walked into town and had lunch with drinks, and were surprised (shocked, actually) to find that the restaurant wouldn't take US dollars. We were seated a couple of tables away, listening to the exchange between the server and the couple, and it became very clear they didn't have any Euros, just US dollars. We went over and offered to lend them the money and although the lady was quite put out that the restaurant insisted on "their kind of money" instead of US, they accepted our offer of assistance. What surprised me is this was not their first European cruise - I don't know if they had someone else with them previously who handled the finances, or maybe they just used credit cards. We still smile and shake our heads about insisting on "their kind of money". As much as some people may think, the US dollar is not international currency.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

What a nice blast from the past to come across on my first day back on Cruise Critic in a half year! :D

I especially loved reading some of the back remarks ... including my own from (yikes!) 3 years ago!

Now, to the thread topic:

In January aboard the Rotterdam, during a VIP party in the Crows Nest, someone asked the Captain if he liked driving. The Captain grinned and said: "Love it ... especially when using my new Callaway XR 16 Driver." The passenger who asked the question never got the joke.

Welcome back Mr Kotter..I mean Reverend Neal. Good to see you back.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

My husband and I were at a mariners luncheon and the "gentleman" beside us - and i use the term loosely - was having an in depth conversation about his wife and how he could "never be with anyone smarter than him" with the poor couple stuck at the table with him.

It was a bit too much, and if you had heard what he said before hand you would realize how low the bar was set for his wife's intelligence. I could barely bite my tongue. Bless his wife, she must have the patience of a saint :')

Another comment from this one guy who was whining to his wife about how the performers on board were "negligent" in regards to their fitness and shape/size/weight. :rolleyes:

Sometimes just listening to people's conversations are the best form of entertainment.

Similar story. But it was some woman seated at our MDR table who wanted us all to hold hands and pray before dinner. I think that she and her husband were from a fundamentalist denomination. We switched to a table for a two top. We had no interest in a repeat performance.

This is not our custom so I politely declined. Not to mention that who wants to shake a stranger's hand on a cruise given the Noro issue.

We had just left port and were about a quarter of a mile from shore and all of a sudden the ship lost all power. A cruise employee told us "The electric cable that the ship was attached to on shore came loose". We laughed but he was serious.

I doubt he was serious.

Since everyone needs a "silly" every now and again I'm compelled to post the following post I found on the Carnival boards.

"Leaving soon for my first cruise and I've picked up a lot of information from this forum but I'm still a bit confused about the beach towels. I know...a minor issue but the less time I have to spend figuring things out the more time I can have on the ship enjoying my cruise. emoji2.png

So what I am assuming...

In the cabin you have a blue beach towel per person when arriving. You can exchange for a fresh towel at the towel station or your steward will exchange if you leave it on the floor of your cabin. You can take it with you in port and return when getting back on the ship or exchange for fresh towel. Correct?

Where I'm confused...

I've read if you lose/leave the towel when off the ship, you will be charged for it, in the range between 20 and 30 dollars. I also have read about people hogging chairs by leaving towels on them to reserve a spot. So why would people leave towels unattended if they will be charged if it goes missing? Anyone can walk up and take it and no one would question it. Is it just a case of musical towels? When the music stops (cruise ends) people just grab the nearest towel and those who can't find one get charged?

Thanks"

Gotta love the poster! :D

What a nice blast from the past to come across on my first day back on Cruise Critic in a half year! :D

I especially loved reading some of the back remarks ... including my own from (yikes!) 3 years ago!

Now, to the thread topic:

In January aboard the Rotterdam, during a VIP party in the Crows Nest, someone asked the Captain if he liked driving. The Captain grinned and said: "Love it ... especially when using my new Callaway XR 16 Driver." The passenger who asked the question never got the joke.

how nice to see you posting. We've missed you :loudcry:

I know you are busy with your very successful evangelical efforts but delighted to see you here so I hope you don't mind if I say - welcome home:ship: ;)

Wow. Just wow. I'm shaking my head.

Why bother to post at all, then, unless it's just to increase your post count? Certainly it wasn't a helpful comment.

I will tell you why. A significant number of the questions on CC can be answered by just typing the question onto Google and usually clicking one of the first few hits. It is just that the person asking the question is either too lazy (most likely) or to ignorant to do it. When this occurs, I refuse to answer their question. I merely say that they should look it up in Google. I never make this response if the Google search is a bit difficult but I do it all the time if the search is easy.

How many times have you seen a question on CC such as What sort of temperatures will we have in location x in July or how far is is from location x to location y which can be easily answered using Google Maps.

Sort of like this proverb - give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

DON

"Boy, those French: they have a different word for everything !"

(author: comedian Steve Martin)

We were once on a river cruise in Egypt. That very French lady (Parisian?) was completely insulted when she saw that the plan for the day was to visit the West bank. She said in her most insulted French way...But what is this, to visit a B A N K. I did not come to Egypt to see a bank. I am not going.

Mais qu'est ce que c'est que cette banque, je ne suis pas venue en Egypte pour voir une banque..... je reste sur le bateau. :')

The first time I sailed on HAL, a lady at the sail away party was saying that she always cruised on HAL because of their "no tipping" policy. What???:eek:

There's a grain of truth in that, since I remember being happily surprised that when I ordered a drink on HAL I didn't have to sign anything, whereas on other lines I remember having to sign and there was a space for an additional tip beyond the automatic 15%, which creates confusion and some tip guilt (and pushy drink servers hoping to score the extra tip). The other aspect is that my mother was surprised on her first HAL cruise that she didn't have to hand out individual tip envelopes to dining room staff (as she always did on RCCL) and that it's automatically billed and distributed more equitably (I found the RCCL envelope handing out awkward, especially to the annoying headwaiter who only walked around making small talk and interrupting meals so he could justify getting a tip at the last night).

So while there is tipping, HAL does a good job of removing the 'friction' and stress of gratuities, which I also enjoy when taking Uber and Lyft, where you tip after leaving the car but it isn't compulsory, versus a surly taxi driver who expects a tip after driving poorly and being unpleasant and who will give even more attitude if not tipped sufficiently.

We've had several friends and colleagues respond, upon hearing that we cruise with Holland, "Why with them, they are for old folks?" or my favourite, "Holland, the Grey Line".
Lol. Perpetuate this myth so us HAL cruisers can keep enjoying with wild abandon! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lol. Perpetuate this myth so us HAL cruisers can keep enjoying with wild abandon! [emoji4]

I hope you realize that posts like this one of yours might bring crowds of NCL and Royal Caribbean cruisers across to the bright side. Please -- let the myth live on.

Remember: Loose lips crowd ships.

In the MDR we were exchanging plans for disembarkation in Amsterdam with our table mates. One gentleman had plans for staying on and exploring the city post-cruise. He happily explained that his hotel was in downtown Holland. We all slip up from time to time and its fun to enjoy a little giggle!