Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

In the lady's possible defense, she may have been married to a sailor. Many of us that spent time on aircraft carriers routinely referred to the bow, stern, and the superstructure as "the pointy end, the roundy end, and the sticky-up part". This was thought to be the height of humor.

We took our pleasures where we could find them.;)

Exactly. My husband is a docent on the carrier museum the Midway, and he finds this much the easiest way to explain directions to visitors.

One of my favorites (and I'm sure I've posted this somewhere before), my husband had gone to one of the bars to get us a glass of wine and the guy sitting on the bar stool looked at my husband and asked "which ship are you on." Obviously sir, the same one you're on![/quote

In fairness,depending on how much he'd had to drink ,he may of just been trying to figure out which ship he was on.:D:D

Exactly. My husband is a docent on the carrier museum the Midway, and he finds this much the easiest way to explain directions to visitors.

Ok, this is off topic, but DH and I just spent a few weeks in San Diego in our RV, and went to the Midway for the first time (although I have a sneaky suspicion my dad may have been on it some following WWII). The docents couldn't have been better! Thank your husband for us.

Trish

On our recent Regent cruise a lady asked where we were from. I replied Las Vegas but that my husband was originally from Hawaii, to which she replied, "Oh how does he like living in America?"!!!!!!
That's ok. Years ago I lived in Hawaii. When I first moved there, I was asked where I'd moved from. When I said 'Seattle' the other person (a local) asked me what it was like "to live in the US". :eek:

I was on a cruise with Silversea last month - my first with them. We had open seating at dinner. One night my husband and I were seated with two other couples. One of the woman asked what cruise lines we had been on. When I told her Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Holland America, her immediate reply was, "I would never sail on one of those cruise lines. They have such filthy people."

That's ok. Years ago I lived in Hawaii. When I first moved there, I was asked where I'd moved from. When I said 'Seattle' the other person (a local) asked me what it was like "to live in the US". :eek:

Still holding a grudge because of the Queen's overthrow, perhaps??? ;)

Still holding a grudge because of the Queen's overthrow, perhaps??? ;)
I'm not that old, Ruth. ;)

My point is - Stupid is everywhere. Sad, but true.

Also, I give some (not a lot, just a little) slack to the woman cited earlier who didn't know Hawaii is part of the US. Not all Hawaiians do either.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Also, I give some (not a lot, just a little) slack to the woman cited earlier who didn't know Hawaii is part of the US. Not all Hawaiians do either.

Ruth has a point. A lot of Native Hawaiians here do not acknowledge that Hawaii is an American state because they are still upset about the overthrow. There is a large population who would like us to become an independent country again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

I once jokingly told an American I had met on a cruise that Eastern Canadians consider Florida to be our 11th province. He pretended to think about it seriously and then allowed that it was no problem because a lot of Americans don't consider Florida to be part of the US. We both had a good laugh about that.

I once jokingly told an American I had met on a cruise that Eastern Canadians consider Florida to be our 11th province.

I know I think of Florida as a northern state that got tacked on to the southern end of the country. Do any southerners live there?

Edited by RuthC

We are fresh off the Noordam and met 4 people who just "found" the wraparound Promenade deck almost a week into the cruise. We just smiled and said, "Yes, it's a big ship and it takes some time to learn your way around."

Inside though, we were wondering how this was possible, since muster is held there before you leave port. Although I guess it's possible to just go outside to your lifeboat station and not realize that it's one big deck.

My best was from my travelling companion the one time the Evil Twin and I didn't sail together. The morning after our first night closing the Crow's Nest, she said, "tonight can we go to a bar with younger people?"

"Sure," I said, "I'll call the helicopter."

Weird thing is, we're both pushing 50 and were not obviously "out aged" at all.

My best was from my travelling companion the one time the Evil Twin and I didn't sail together. The morning after our first night closing the Crow's Nest, she said, "tonight can we go to a bar with younger people?"

"Sure," I said, "I'll call the helicopter."

Weird thing is, we're both pushing 50 and were not obviously "out aged" at all.

Speaking of helicopters, on the Osterdam heading for Hawaii in 2012 our cruise director Eric tells us he was asked by a nice lady if the crew goes home at night.

He replied oh yes we send them home each night in helicopters at midnight.

The next night this same lady approached Eric to complain. The helicopters woke her up last night and she had a hard time getting back to sleep

Edited by Seawoff

DH came back from a port last week on the Zuiderdam. Gangway was mid-ship A Deck. The elevator arrives but the couple in front of him don't make a move to get in. So he gets in and says "this is going up, are you getting on?" The reply was "no, we're waiting for the elevator going Aft." :eek: He came bursting into our stateroom laughing hysterically!

Edited by Linda&Vern

I know I think of Florida as a northern state that got tacked on to the southern end of the country. Do any southerners live there?

It's the 6th borough of NYC (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan being the contiguous ones. :) )