Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

I believe the statement was "No tipping requested or required".

No, the policy was as I stated previously: "No tipping required" we were never told it was not allowed.

Edited by RuthC

Lady on a HAL excursion bus in Barbados turned to her husband and grade-school aged kids and said very loudly: "The next time we cruise I will make sure the ship staff are all Americans. This is ridiculous having all these foreigners working on the ship!"

Or better yet, the young man in the Lido with 2 small kids hanging on him the way little ones do - and the ship did a big bouncy. He disgustingly informed all around him that "this guy (Captain) has no clue how to handle this ship."

Edited by Linda&Vern

I think one of the funniest ones I have seen was a post on these boards where a poster stated that the people on the catamaran tour had to use the Jacob's ladder to get to the catamaran in Tracey Arm.

too funny - for those that don't know - that's that rope ladder thing - you seriously think HAL would ever use that for tours :p:p

I think you would need 17 walking people for the symbol for that tour if it were true. ;)

Edited by kazu

Or better yet, the young man in the Lido with 2 small kids hanging on him the way little ones do - and the ship did a big bouncy. He disgustingly informed all around him that "this guy (Captain) has no clue how to handle this ship."

I am howling! THAT is a good one.

3 Star Mariner on HAL

My daughter was married in October but because she is a teacher she and her husband have to postpone their honeymoon til the summer, after school is out. They have both sailed HAL and Princess (preferring HAL), and they have booked a 12 night cruise of the Baltics on the Eurodam in July. When she told her co-worker who is also a part-time travel agent of her plans, this lady was horrified, telling my daughter "why did you book HAL, you'll hate it: they are only for old people." My daughter put her straight, saying she loves HAL. Makes you wonder how many people are negatively affected by ill-informed travel agents.:rolleyes:

My daughter was married in October but because she is a teacher she and her husband have to postpone their honeymoon til the summer, after school is out. They have both sailed HAL and Princess (preferring HAL), and they have booked a 12 night cruise of the Baltics on the Eurodam in July. When she told her co-worker who is also a part-time travel agent of her plans, this lady was horrified, telling my daughter "why did you book HAL, you'll hate it: they are only for old people." My daughter put her straight, saying she loves HAL. Makes you wonder how many people are negatively affected by ill-informed travel agents.:rolleyes:

Funny! The same thing happened to me back in 1998. I had only cruised HAL 2x and the TA said try Celebrity it's just as nice as HAL but will be a younger demographic....Huge mistake....since then it's been HAL all the way...

I love being considered one of the youngsters on the ship...it makes up for being considered old by my staff here at home :)

3 Star Mariner on HAL

Sounds like what happened to me yesterday lol (btw, I'm only 31 and love HAL)

Sent from my SGH-T779 using Tapatalk

My parents have only been on one cruise -NCLA around Hawaii. I warned them not to go. But they didn't listen and had a horrible time (I knew it wasn't their scene). Fast forward 7 years later, I've been begging my parents to join us in Alaska this August and my dad's response has been, "it's too cold." O.o no, dad, it's not too cold. You just don't want a repeat of NCLA... LOL

P.S. my mom really really wants to go...

I was at the hairdresser's and while chatting with my stylist about cruising,a lady in the next station interjected and said " oh I would never cruise because I wouldn't eat enough to justify the cost" :confused::D

My stylist and I exchanged looks in the mirror....I was going to enlighten her about,ocean breezes, scenery, romantic dinners ,dancing and fun destinations but frankly...I just wondered how much she thought she would have to eat to break even.:D

I was at the hairdresser's and while chatting with my stylist about cruising,a lady in the next station interjected and said " oh I would never cruise because I wouldn't eat enough to justify the cost" :confused::D

My stylist and I exchanged looks in the mirror....I was going to enlighten her about,ocean breezes, scenery, romantic dinners ,dancing and fun destinations but frankly...I just wondered how much she thought she would have to eat to break even.:D

My cruise motto is "The more you eat, the cheaper the cruise ! " :D

Maybe it's not the silliest comment but one of the things I've heard, and in a way had to deal with, is the notion that you have to be wealthy to cruise. To some extent, at least when say co-workers look at our cruises, it's a self-inflicted wound since we take longer cruises in upper category cabins. I'm not going to brag, that's not my nature, and it is in my mind totally unacceptable but I'm not going lie and say it's not expensive but just because we chose to do that doesn't mean everybody has to or does. It's a mixed bag and full range of human emotions from jealousy and envy to true interest and shared excitement. I'm sensitive to this and really try not to dwell on the size of our cabin or special amenities or whatever and I certainly never mention or say what it cost us for a cruise. Luckily for us we're basically destinations cruisers so it's pretty natural for us to stress where we went and what we saw versus how we got there other than to say it was a cruise.

Somewhere on CC I read this, but have no idea if it was on HAL. A woman showed up on an Alaska cruise with tropical cruise wear packed. Had nothing for cold weather. Why? Because when she was looking at a map pre-cruise, there was Alaska right next to Hawaii. (in the inset).

P.S. my mom really really wants to go...

pssst. she knows she can go without him, doesn't she???
Just start talking alternatives to him going, like either a single for her or getting a lady friend to share the cabin ... in his presence of course ... and he may just decide he doesn't want to be left home! Edited by jtl513

:D You made my day. I needed a good laugh. :D

The one and only time I used a TA, I was sternly warned that I would need dressy clothes each day, all day (never mind formal night) and that we were far too young and that we would regret sailing HAL......think I was 45 or something, hardly too young. He really tried to discourage us, and what makes me sick now, is how much we paid for that cruise, not knowing any better. It was outrageous.