Silliest Comment You've Heard

AlohaPride

pssst. she knows she can go without him, doesn't she??? ;)

Let me talk to her.

Just start talking alternatives to him going, like either a single for her or getting a lady friend to share the cabin ... in his presence of course ... and he may just decide he doesn't want to be left home!

I so would (and her sister tried to talk her into it) but my dad will have a birthday while we are gone. :-/

I was at the hairdresser's and while chatting with my stylist about cruising,a lady in the next station interjected and said " oh I would never cruise because I wouldn't eat enough to justify the cost" :confused::D

My stylist and I exchanged looks in the mirror....I was going to enlighten her about,ocean breezes, scenery, romantic dinners ,dancing and fun destinations but frankly...I just wondered how much she thought she would have to eat to break even.:D

My husband tries his best every.single.time. it's a life goal of his... he spends a lot of time on the treadmill. ROFL

I so would (and her sister tried to talk her into it) but my dad will have a birthday while we are gone. :-/

Just a thought - cruises make really good birthday presents!!! Your mom could give your dad a cruise! Or all of you could give your dad a cruise. Dad's can be sooooo hard to buy for!!!

...but my dad will have a birthday while we are gone. :-/

He'll still have his birthday if your mom comes with us.

He thinks it would be too cold, eh? Tell ya what---some day, when it's sunny, we'll all put on light summer clothes, go outside, and have a picture taken. You send it to him, telling him how warm it is up there.

Just so long as there's no thermometer in the pic, he won't know. :D

OK it's not really about "cruising" but it is Nautical. Living where we do in Washington we are very dependent on our state ferries.

A woman boarded the M/V Spokane for the 35 minute crossing to Bainbridge Island from Seattle. She looked up at the name of the boat after they had sailed and panicked- grabbed a crew member and told them she was on the wrong boat- she didn't want to go to Spokane :D

M "Why didn't anyone tell me it was going to be hot. . .

A few

Q) Do the crew sleep on the boat?

A) No they never sleep

Q) that is not true, really do they have beds or cabins?

Q2) Does the ship have generators?

A) No we drag a really long extension cord

Silliest Comment You've Heard

I agree with what was posted earlier: the single most "outstanding" comment was about a surcharge in the MDR.

Noticeable 'pearls" keep coming from time to time.

Recently seen ones that I can mention:

"HAL ships sail slower than Celebrity to save fuel".

"Lack of deck space on the Eurodam".

"Best ship for solo cruisers is the one with "solo" cabins category".

:)

I think one of the funniest ones I have seen was a post on these boards where a poster stated that the people on the catamaran tour had to use the Jacob's ladder to get to the catamaran in Tracey Arm.

too funny - for those that don't know - that's that rope ladder thing - you seriously think HAL would ever use that for tours :p:p

I think you would need 17 walking people for the symbol for that tour if it were true. ;)

Wish we had had one on a snorkel trip in Cozumel! Climbing up onto the Cat was tough for we older folks. :(

The good part was we got a glass (or two) of Tequila when we made it. We seemed to be a generation older than most of the folks, and when they said "Jump if you want to swim" a lot of folks stayed on board.

Hi

I have a few

Can I use American dollars in Alaska' date=' do they speak English will I see igloos.

also its has been warmer in Alaska than its been in Boston this January[/quote']

My cousin grew up in Indianapolis and was stationed in Alaska while in the Army. He said the average winter temperature was warmer in anchorage!

Our average temperature here is in the 70s now. I'll stay here.

We just returned from the Noordam and stoped in Aruba where we went on the submarine excursion. We went down about 133 feet where the pilot sat us on the bottom. When we reached the surface again a gentelman asked, "Did the submarine go completely underwater or was there still a portion above the surface" LOL

Mine was sitting behind two guys on a tender. The whole way in they were talking about how excited they were and what they were doing that day in Monte Carlo.......only problem was we were in Cannes so wrong city and wrong country :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Overheard the following on recent Oosterdam cruise as we entered the main dining room (which of course is at the stern of the ship) for lunch. Passenger in front of us requested that he had a table as close to the Bow as possible and by a window so he could get a good view!!.....it's a long walk from the MD to the Bow on the Oosterdam! Dining room manager made no comment just allocated him a table!

Mine was sitting behind two guys on a tender. The whole way in they were talking about how excited they were and what they were doing that day in Monte Carlo.......only problem was we were in Cannes so wrong city and wrong country :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Why would you view this as silly? Monte Carlo is less than an hour's drive from Cannes and they could very easily have planned an excursion to visit Monaco.

"Tipping not required" was the way Holland America phrased it less than 15 years ago. I have seen a number of cruisers who don't find out that tipping is expected until well into the cruise.

My very first cruise was with HAL in 1976, and the passengers were definitely told that tipping was not required, as opposed to the way they did things on other cruise lines. So it was very strange that near the end of the cruise, the cruise director made "suggestions" as to how much we should tip. We did not realize that "tipping not required" did not mean "no tipping allowed" until the CD pointed it out.

At that time, there was no system in place in which you used your keycard to pay for stuff. In fact, I had a cabin key, not a keycard. I remember paying for drinks with cash. And I also remember having to insist on getting your change back, because the bartenders always assumed that any change was their tip, which was silly, since we were told that tipping wasn't required.

I remember only the CD, his wife, and an engaged couple working as host and hostess. The CD and his wife gave dance lessons and did a magic show in the theatre. The engaged couple handled all of the daytime activities. I don't remember there being any Bingo or trivia contests. There wasn't too much to do during the daytime, so I hung out at the pool when we weren't in port.

My next cruise with HAL was in 1980, and it seemed to be another bare-boned cruise like my first one. I went to the cocktail party for people who had sailed with HAL before. You weren't acknowledged at the party unless you had sailed with them at least 3 times. I found it depressing that everyone who was acknowledged were either married couples or solo women. There weren't any solo men. And both members of each couple had taken exactly the same number of HAL cruises as his/her spouse. It seemed that no one had sailed on HAL when he/she was single, and then got married and then said, 'Honey, how about we go on an HAL cruise? I really liked it, and I'm sure you will like it, too."

In 1976 and 1980, the majority of the passengers on those ships were old. Even though you say that that's not the case nowadays, I haven't been on an HAL ship since then. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

I hope they aren't still pushing that "tipping not required" thing, because it definitely is misleading.

I overheard a woman telling her friends that the CD told her that the ship traveled one foot per gallon of fuel. He must have been pulling her leg, or just making something up, or someone was pulling his leg, because at that rate a typical Trans-Atlantic would require about 26 million gallons. In fact, the ship we were on (Amsterdam) gets about 50 feet per gallon, a more manageable 600 K gallons.

" Do the cabin windows open?"
Yes, if you're in a Lanai or veranda cabin. :) Edited by jtl513