New Wine Policy - no more whining about wine

kazu

Given all the online activity when they introduced the "new policy", can anyone now doubt the power of social media? I'm sure that in the "olden days" there would have been no amendment.

I agree. I wonder if the people who were so vocal in their beliefs that writing, emailing and petitioning was a waste of time are re-thinking that now.

A poster who boarded in Sydney said that they record the wine (producer, type, etc.) when you board. Your free allotment gets one color sticker. Your paid gets another color. If you take your free wine to the dining room, you have to pay corkage on it - because you haven't yet. If you drink your free wine en suite, no corkage.

bolding mine

Thanks for that reminder! I probably would have never even considered that until too late :D

It sounds like everybody wins with this policy. Congratulations to all that love wine and the policy works for them.

speaking for ourselves only, we are very happy with this. HAL's policy was liberal and while we didn't abuse it, we did enjoy it. I am happy to pay a corkage fee to enjoy some unique wines in some of our ports of call.

It certainly sounds like someone is reading these threads and paid attention to our emails. We did a great job of getting this policy to change. Pat ourselves on the back.

I so agree - I'm going to post on their FB page and say thank you and I will also email Christine Ferris as well :D

This is the only good thing that has happened this weekend, so I am perhaps a bit too enthusiastic :rolleyes:;)

It certainly sounds like someone is reading these threads and paid attention to our emails. We did a great job of getting this policy to change. Pat ourselves on the back.

I know for sure there are a number of people from HAL who read these forums. Some have told me directly face to face. :)

Thinking a bit more about this new policy - for most of us it probably will end up being about the same as before.

Personally, drinking 2 bottles of wine (could be more if you get a gift from your TA, HAL or ?) in our cabin is more than enough for most cruises. If you brought more than that onboard previously we would be taking them to the MDR and paying the corkage fee.

DaveOKC

This was posted on a couple of threads but for those that don't go to these threads - the wine policy has been amended.:D:D

For those who wanted to bring on wine and pay corkage - YOU CAN:

here is the policy from the HAL website:

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Updated: 01/30/2014

I'm happy with this and happy that HAL listened:D:D

Thanks Jacqui! I just had an email from Carol who told me about this. We're in Barbados today....too late to buy the French wine I saw in St. Maarten! Hopefully I can find some in port here or in St. Croix. Martinique tomorrow but we have an excursion that will eat up all of the short day we have.

Bottom line is that's very good news. I can report they're taking the $18 corkage fee very seriously. I paid it the other evening...as usual with our recent cruises. I will pass the word along to some we've met on the ship who are moving on to the Noordam along with us and not too happy.

Interesting cruise. :eek: No Internet on the ship...something to do with the new upgrades. Our lanai door did not work so we suffered through for the 1st four...then moved to a lanai down the hall (I do like the concept though). We paid $1,100 upsell for the 11 days...basically $100 a day. And couldn't use it for four. :rolleyes:

Our phone doesn't work so no ordering room service for me! We have early fixed and ended up with a two top on the lower level jammed between other tables. When I voiced an issue with that, they told me "this is fixed dining." OK.

Sorry to hijack the wine thread....I am happy about that, however. Sitting at Coconuts in the Barbados port listening to blaring music so I'm not too swift...and I had to buy a rum punch to get their password...LOL!

Ah yes...they finally come to their senses right at the 11th hour. I am very happy with the policy in current configuration and will gladly pay corkage upon embarkation. What perplexes me is why 1) they swung the pendulum 180 degrees from as much as you want to two; and then 2) implement this policy as late in the game as possible.

As I said, I'm very happy with the change. Still doesn't give me comfort that Seattle has it's act together. And after my wonderful Oceania cruise I just got back from, they have serious competition. Review to follow.

Thanks for the head's up via email, Carol. Perhaps I will ask our wine steward about it tonight....she how she answers the question about the "new policy". Will report if I can from Martinique tomorrow or St. Croix on Tuesday.

Sheila,

Happy you learned about the change in policy.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and have a smooth, easy transfer to Noordam.

We are likely getting snow twice this week so enjoy the warmth and sunshine and think of us here in New England with the white stuff piling up. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Ah yes...they finally come to their senses right at the 11th hour. I am very happy with the policy in current configuration and will gladly pay corkage upon embarkation. What perplexes me is why 1) they swung the pendulum 180 degrees from as much as you want to two; and then 2) implement this policy as late in the game as possible.

As I said, I'm very happy with the change. Still doesn't give me comfort that Seattle has it's act together. And after my wonderful Oceania cruise I just got back from, they have serious competition. Review to follow.

I think the tipping point was the cruiser who's been on 97 Princess cruises and 3 Hal coastal cruises and a repo every three years. They didn't want to lose him.

They know who butters their bread

I think the tipping point was the cruiser who's been on 97 Princess cruises and 3 Hal coastal cruises and a repo every three years. They didn't want to lose him.

They know who butters their bread

Do you EVER have anything nice to say? Everyone is happy. Why not join in ?

I guess my 30 day cruises don't count in your book either - no worries - you are happy and so are we.

We're not wining anymore - I would have thought you would be happy by now

It has become evidently clear today that there is at least one person who is very unhappy with the turn of events, and has to take a swipe wherever possible. How dare we win the battle, LOL. How dare we achieve something through CC and social media.:rolleyes: Guess you just can't please everyone.:D Whatever, it's a Good News day, and nothing can detract from the success.

Do you EVER have anything nice to say? Everyone is happy. Why not join in ?

I guess my 30 day cruises don't count in your book either - no worries - you are happy and so are we.

We're not wining anymore - I would have thought you would be happy by now

Yes...I'm happy for all the wine enthusiasts

Please see post #55

But I'm thrilled with the new policy. :)I'm happy to see that the petition wasn't a fool's errand after all and I'd like to personally thank everyone who signed and wrote detailed thoughtful comments. The fact that this issue stayed front and center at CC for as long as it did spoke volumes to Seattle.

IMHO this policy was what HAL intended all along but first needed to soften us all up by having the more more draconian policy published and ready to enforce. If none of us had objected they probably would've implemented it.

But we did voice our concerns. And HAL had a perfectly fine face-saving measure waiting in the wings; they are happy and we are too!

Too bad Amsterdam isn't a hotbed of local wines, but I'm sure I'll find something fun to bring on board in August:D

But I'm thrilled with the new policy. :)I'm happy to see that the petition wasn't a fool's errand after all and I'd like to personally thank everyone who signed and wrote detailed thoughtful comments. The fact that this issue stayed front and center at CC for as long as it did spoke volumes to Seattle.

IMHO this policy was what HAL intended all along but first needed to soften us all up by having the more more draconian policy published and ready to enforce. If none of us had objected they probably would've implemented it.

But we did voice our concerns. And HAL had a perfectly fine face-saving measure waiting in the wings; they are happy and we are too!

Too bad Amsterdam isn't a hotbed of local wines, but I'm sure I'll find something fun to bring on board in August:D

:D You just might have a point.

I'm a (wine) glass half full kind of person, and even I agree this is likely the case. For a cruise line to go from the giant wine free-for-all to 2 bottles, even when sailing in wine-drenched regions for 30 days or more, seemed way too harsh.

With that said, as a wine drinker heading to Europe in April on HAL, I am glad I'll be able to potentially bring back an extra bottle or two.

To make a smiley face, type:

: ) with no space between the two characters :)

OR, if you have brought up the message box by clicking "Post Reply" on the left side of the screen vs the quick reply box on the right side of the screen, you will see the selection of emoticons on the right side of the message box. Click whichever one you want to use. ;)

Test--thanks!! I don't know why I thought it was hard...we'll see if this works.

Well thisis good news! Now I can happily be a wine "porter" on our next cruise as DH is the only drinker of wine in our house. He can bring on his own:rolleyes:;) A few ports and we will have enough for that wine tasting!