Need Help with pros and cons

Justprettynpink

We book the Ruby early and now are need to chose another ship.

We are considering the Caribbean Princess or the Regal Princess (7 day).

Caribbean is a 9 day ( a 4 and a 5 day can be booked seperate )

Caribbean Pros- We haven't been to those ports

9 days :-)

Cons- No formal Night? Since some folks will be on either a 4 or 5 day (or will it be on the 5 day leg?)

Regal Pros- New Ship

Cons- Have been to the ports

Anything else I should consider?

We are looking for the end of March 20015

Thanks for your opinions!

If you are considering a 9 day, then why not think about the Royal...doing a 10 days.

Pros....newish ship

Pros....probably new ports(?)

Pros...extra day

Pros....not spending a day in FLL is doing the b2b for 9 days

Edited by chrysalis

The Caribbean Princess is the sister ship to the Ruby.

Guess in the interest of accuracy we should correct this post. The Ruby's sister ships are the Emerald and the Crown. The Caribbean Princess is actually somewhat different in that it has an additional passenger deck and carries several hundred more passengers.

Hank

Caribbean is a 9 day ( a 4 and a 5 day can be booked seperate )

Caribbean Pros- We haven't been to those ports

My vote is for the 9 days. You will get to visit ports you've never been to before, AND it will count as TWO cruises, which will help you move up to Elite faster. :)

If you do a b2b guarantee do they usually give you 2 different cabins? Do you need a coffee card for each segment?

I might have to put another deposit it down ....and lose a little credit from my FCC but I am looking into it :-)

Edited by Justprettynpink

Booking it as a 9 day will count as two cruises?

Yes, I know it sounds wrong, but a B2B booked as one sailing will get credited for 2 sailings (in the Caribbean and some other areas). You have to call customer service after the sailing. Possibly, the Captain's Circle host can do it while on board.

Is there a price benefit in booking it as a 9 day? I booked our last b2b separate to get the 2 credits.

Sometimes booking as one trip will get you a lower fare and more on board credit. So go whichever way is cheapest. Call customer service. They go back at least 2 years.

Guess in the interest of accuracy we should correct this post. The Ruby's sister ships are the Emerald and the Crown. The Caribbean Princess is actually somewhat different in that it has an additional passenger deck and carries several hundred more passengers.

Hank

I'm confused. I've been on both the Ruby and Caribbean Princess twice and believe they have the same number of passenger decks.:confused: Am I missing something?

The Emerald, Crown, and Ruby have the same additional passenger deck (Riviera Deck). It's the layout of the ships that make them different from the Caribbean Princess. For instance, they have Sabatini's and Adagio's at the back of the ship a couple of decks under Skywalker's.

Since Caribbean Princess is moving to 7 day cruises to replace the Ruby in March 2015. So the 9-day Caribbean Princess option for spring break 2015 might be non-existent.

See this thread about the Ruby re-deployment and cruise cancellations.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1985587

We were had our sail date changed and ship changed to the Caribbean...the 7 day cruise we were on is nonexistent now....my TA called Princess, my options for my sail dates are the Regal and Caribbean :-)

And back to the original question, while I'd generally prefer the longer cruise, I'd probably go with the 7-night on the Regal with these choices and try to add a couple of extra nights in Fort Lauderdale.

We did our first back-to-back cruises in December on the Ruby. The dates worked out better for us due to DH's teaching schedule than taking a 7-night cruise. But doing the b2b cruises meant having many of the same menus, the same entertainment, plus the half wasted day in Fort Lauderdale. The best thing about going back to Fort Lauderdale was being able to replenish our wine with two more bottles. It was also nice to be able to skip the second muster.

Hank

I'm confused. I've been on both the Ruby and Caribbean Princess twice and believe they have the same number of passenger decks.:confused: Am I missing something?

I just checked the online deck plans. Both ships have a total of 19 decks. Both ships have passenger cabins on decks 5 - 15.

I just checked the online deck plans. Both ships have a total of 19 decks. Both ships have passenger cabins on decks 5 - 15.

I was originally confused by that also. I think they are referring to the public deck layouts. After the Caribbean was built, the subsequent builds altered the layouts to better accommodate passenger flow. For instance The Crown Grill, Sabatini's and the Shore Excursion desks are in different locations.

I was originally confused by that also. I think they are referring to the public deck layouts. After the Caribbean was built, the subsequent builds altered the layouts to better accommodate passenger flow. For instance The Crown Grill, Sabatini's and the Shore Excursion desks are in different locations.

And Skywalker's on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby is mounted differently.

Also, of the four, only the Caribbean has the window suites.