Please be completely HONEST

champagne123

Please be honest  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Please be honest

• I do not care how I look...to anyone
    • I care how I look only to myself and possibly my partner
    • I care how I look to myself and everyone surrounding me.

Wow. I think everyone is getting way too technical AND touchy.

I think the poll is very simple. The OP did not ask if you are heavy, older, sloppy, comfortable, age appropriate, have cellulite, so on and so forth. She asked WHO do you dress for. When I first started to read this thread it was nice and proceeded to get nastier and nastier.

Simply put, I voted for #3, REGARDLESS of whether I am fat, have cellulite, older, have thick legs, grey hair, etc. I STILL care how I look when I walk out the door. Nuff said.

I voted for self and significant other, but dressing for comfort would be my real choice.

I have a hard to fit figure. Hips and chest match in size, but my waist is big and puts me in a size much bigger. Most jeans are low-rise, automatically giving me a muffin top. I haven't found pants that fit. Even the low-rise require a belt to not fall down.

I also figure skate, so I have pretty muscular legs. They also make it difficult to find clothes that fit.

Because of my fit problems, I tend to stick with jeans and tees and am fully aware of my muffin top/thick middle and how it looks. Do I care? Yes. Can I do much about it? Not really. Not until the fashion industry figures out that all women don't fit their standard shape.

I knew this thread would end up where it is. Anytime something like this is put out on CC, it goes downhill to judgements :(

Some posters on similar threads would posit that "dressing for comfort" equated to sloppy dress. They'd say "if you just took a little time, you'd look better." I remember one last Winter that got particularly nasty and people were personally bashing people. Bah. What is "sloppy" to one woman is "comfortable and perfectly presentable" to another.

PurpleHays - you dress just fine!!! I have several girlfriends who are/have been world-class athletes with very large quads/thighs. They also lived in jeans (once they found a pair that fit decently). Don't sweat it - they always looked just fine and no one ever had to shield their eyes or look away in horror ;)

I think there are ways to dress for comfort and still look wonderfully put together. Take a look at the fashions that Eileen Fisher designs. They are just as comfortable as yoga pants and a t-shirt yet stylish and sophisticated and actually looks like you didn't just pull the cleanest thing out of the laundry basket. Knock-offs can be found in many moderate department stores. Most look great with flats as well. That's just one example.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I think there are ways to dress for comfort and still look wonderfully put together. Take a look at the fashions that Eileen Fisher designs. They are just as comfortable as yoga pants and a t-shirt yet stylish and sophisticated and actually looks like you didn't just pull the cleanest thing out of the laundry basket. Knock-offs can be found in many moderate department stores. Most look great with flats as well. That's just one example.

Popcorn popped…

Glad you think Eileen Fisher is comfortable. Up where I live, that would be formal wear (and, just so you know, I DO own Eileen Fisher - they are the pieces I wear if I'm going out to a fine dining restaurant) ;) Why would yoga pants or jeans and a T-shirt look like I (or others) merely pulled the "cleanest thing out of the laundry basket"? Are you implying that I'd pull out dirty jeans/yoga pants out of my basket??? I'm running around town for cripe's sake, not going to Le Bernadin or The French Laundry for lunch...

Sigh… Outta here. I KNEW this would happen

Edited by slidergirl

Popcorn popped…

Glad you think Eileen Fisher is comfortable. Up where I live, that would be formal wear (and, just so you know, I DO own Eileen Fisher - they are the pieces I wear if I'm going out to a fine dining restaurant) ;) Why would yoga pants or jeans and a T-shirt look like I (or others) merely pulled the "cleanest thing out of the laundry basket"? Are you implying that I'd pull out dirty jeans/yoga pants out of my basket??? I'm going out to the market, for cripe's sake, not going to Le Bernadin for lunch...

Sigh… Outta here. I KNEW this would happen

Eileen Fisher formal? Um, no. I've never seen gowns or anything beyond a couple of pieces that would be suitable cocktail attire. Most is casual or resort casual.

Eileen Fisher formal? Um, no. I've never seen gowns or anything beyond a couple of pieces that would be suitable cocktail attire. Most is casual or resort casual.

Yeah, but you're the person who says that people with cellulite should always keep it covered, (even if it means they can't snorkel with their children on vacation) so we all have to take your opinions with a grain of salt. :)

Yeah, but you're the person who says that people with cellulite should always keep it covered, (even if it means they can't snorkel with their children on vacation) so we all have to take your opinions with a grain of salt. :)

Are you saying that people shouldn't dress in a way to minimize flaws and accentuate their positives? I'd rather see someone with cellulite on their butt in a cute skirted tankini than a skimpy bikini bottom. The skimpy bottom will only draw the eye to the cellulite, while a cute skirted bottom will make you notice whatever is making it cute (pattern, ruffle, other embellishment) instead of the figure flaw. Don't you agree?

Did you miss the sentence where I stated …"up where I live"? What is "formal" wear in one place (for instance, a mountain resort town) is different form what is formal in New York City. According to a commercial for dining in our town, our mayor describes what is "semi-formal" for men in town: clean jeans, cowboy boots and a hideous Hawaiian shirt."

Excuse me while I shower and get dressed to go out to work - I'm going to wear my newly-washed jeans and my "Ready to Fly" T-shirt (which was bought to support our amazing US Women's Ski Jumping Team) and my black Mountain Hardware down jacket. I'll put out the flares so people may avert their eyes as I stop off at the market to buy dinner-to-go ;)

Are you saying that people shouldn't dress in a way to minimize flaws and accentuate their positives? I'd rather see someone with cellulite on their butt in a cute skirted tankini than a skimpy bikini bottom. The skimpy bottom will only draw the eye to the cellulite, while a cute skirted bottom will make you notice whatever is making it cute (pattern, ruffle, other embellishment) instead of the figure flaw. Don't you agree?

No, I don't agree, because for instance I don't think anyone over the age of 15 should ever wear ruffles, but I didn't want to say that when you posted a picture of the swimsuit you have. And who said anything about butt? Newsflash: not all cellulite is on the butt. If you think a woman who has cellulite all over her thighs should always be sweating and confined and miserable in a long skirted bottom just so your poor little eyes don't get damaged, then you are nuts.

I do truly, truly hope that someday you will realize that your opinion isn't the only one that is right and the only one that matters.

Edited by LrgPizza

Did you miss the sentence where I stated …"up where I live"? What is "formal" wear in one place (for instance, a mountain resort town) is different form what is formal in New York City. According to a commercial for dining in our town, our mayor describes what is "semi-formal" for men in town: clean jeans, cowboy boots and a hideous Hawaiian shirt."

Excuse me while I shower and get dressed to go out to work - I'm going to wear my newly-washed jeans and my "Ready to Fly" T-shirt (which was bought to support our amazing US Women's Ski Jumping Team) and my black Mountain Hardware down jacket. I'll put out the flares so people may avert their eyes as I stop off at the market to buy dinner-to-go ;)

IT's not worth it, Slidergirl. She has an extremely myopic view of fashion and the world, and she absolutely can't see it. I give up. You might as well, also. If everyone doesn't dress and look like her, she truly believes it is wrong. Scary that there are people like that.

I was not familiar with Eileen Fisher, so I googled it. It's a similar style and cut to what my mom wears but in a more monochromatic color scheme with the occasional red top thrown in. I would say it's chic resort wear. It's not my style, especially the harem pants with the crotch at the ankles, but if you are a black and white person I can see the appeal. Thanks for making me aware of another designer...I will tell my mom to check it out. :)

Lisa

IT's not worth it, Slidergirl. She has an extremely myopic view of fashion and the world, and she absolutely can't see it. I give up. You might as well, also. If everyone doesn't dress and look like her, she truly believes it is wrong. Scary that there are people like that.

Back out of the shower, hair air drying (naturally curly), makeup for work on, jeans and Tshirt on….

What's really weird is that we agree on so many things (packing light, taking trains, no group excursions). Cie la vie.

One of my Eileen Fisher pieces is a pair of viscose jersey leggings (available at Nordy, Saks, and other fine clothing stores, as well as Garnet Hill catalog/website). Now, if I wear them with a tunic top, I'm dressed "appropriately" stylish and sophisticated. But, if I just substitute my Fishers with a pair of my Athleta Chaturanga yoga leggings, I'm suddenly a lousy dresser??? What if I pair my Fishers with my Sorel Cate the Great Boots??? (which would be totally fashionable and appropriate for today's weather)

Off to work...

We all have to fit our personal styles first. I'm not going to wear something that isn't me. Eileen Fisher is most definitely not my style. I love dresses and color, all with a girly twist. I try to be socially appropriate for the occasion and I don't like looking sloppy. However, if I stop at the store on the way home from the gym, I do it in my workout clothes with my bright red post run face.

I think there's a grey area where we can all respect others' personal styles while also being honest. I think it's possible to give an honest opinion to a friend or loved one without being mean about it.

Life and fashion are not a matter of black and white. We have to recognize that we all come from different places and backgrounds.

Yeah, I'll say that people shouldn't dress to minimize flaws -- well, not unless THEY think they are flaws, and not unless THEY want to, but whether or not they agree with your definition of "flaws" and whether or not they want to will be variable. If you want to dress in a way that minimizes what you think are flaws and maximizes what you think are positives, then more power to you. For you.

I'll also say that you shouldn't expect people to dress in a way that you would like to see (or to minimize the things you don't want to see). What you or I want to see is and should be immaterial to the way a person should dress, or the way a person wants to dress.

And, no, it's not easy to find clothes that are both comfortable and flattering for every body. I've been looking for 30 years, and finally managed to find a good tailor instead. Even finding a talented and willing tailor was a challenge. And I don't think the clothes on the Eileen Fisher website are flattering to those models ;)

Edited by calliopecruiser
grammar......grrrr

My point is that people should wear clothing that they look their best in, clothing that hides flaws and accents positives. Clothing that looks like they actually took a few moments to think about what they are wearing instead of pulling on whatever was first.

I never said it needed to be uncomfortable or a burqa. It's too bad that some have managed to twist my words, interjecting comments being credited to me that I never made, and generally getting their panties in a twist because I think that people should always try to put their best foot forward, which also means taking a critical look in the mirror before they leave the house.

Oh my Gosh.....after all these years......you would think I would get

used to the snide, mean, sarcastic postings:eek: but I just can't:(.......

Why can't people post in a kinder way? I guess it is just the internet:confused:

Actually, I'm completely serious. I pity people who spend their time concerning themselves with things that really are none of their business. And it has nothing to do with the internet. If I met someone like that in person, I'd feel the same way.

Edited by heyitsmejudy

Face it, ducklite.....you're just one of those people with the selfish attitude of believing other people owe it to you to do what you want them to (like dressing in a way you think looks appropriate and would make you happier).

Why do you believe others should dress in a way that you think is more attractive?

Another that just isn't getting it.

Actually, I'm completely serious. I pity people who spend their time concerning themselves with things that really are none of their business. And it has nothing to do with the internet. If I met someone like that in person, I'd feel the same way.

So it's OK to respond when people ask for opinions inly when you have smiles and butterflies to hand them? If people don't want opinions, they shouldn't ask.

So it's OK to respond when people ask for opinions inly when you have smiles and butterflies to hand them? If people don't want opinions, they shouldn't ask.

Giving an opinion on a bathing suit bottom is one thing. Making a blanket statement that anyone with cellulite shouldn't dare step in public in a bathing suit is entirely different. I didn't say everyone had to fart rainbows anytime someone posted something they've worn. I see things like that, I generally follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule. If someone asks an opinion I'll give it, honestly but with tact. An opinion when asked for is one thing. Making general, all encompassing statements about who should wear this and that when and who shouldn't, is entirely different. It's really not a hard concept to grasp. Worry about whether you look good, let someone know if they don't, should they inquire, and don't worry yourself with someone who doesn't care what you think because more than likely, what they're wearing isn't much of your concern.

I had to vote that I care for myself and my partner...because there are times that I do. And cruising would be one of those times...

Regarding my daily life. I don't care at all. Every day, I drive DS to school wearing my pajamas. I call it my layered look. Pajama bottoms. Tank top with a pajama dress. Sweatshirt on top. Fuzzy socks and my think boot-like slippers. EVERYDAY. I come home and generally wear that until I have an errand to run or have to pick DS up from school...when I have to get out of my car. Then I put on yoga pants, tank top, and hoodie. I will be quite honest...I wear the same stupid clothes day after day after day.

That's 80% of my life.

The other 20% is what I talk about on these boards.

And I answered the poll based on that 20% because that is how I relate to people on these boards.

I have no idea how some of you wound up enjoying a vacation type that finds you on a ship, in the middle of the ocean, with complete strangers who didn't clear their wardrobe choices with you prior to packing. Why, the psychiatry bill alone for enduring the horror of seeing a cellulite dimple or two while a mom goes snorkeling with her three year old must damn well do you in. I'm so glad I was taught not to be judgmental and, instead to let people be who they want to be. Constantly judging people, some who you don't even know, on whether or not they meet your standard of beauty, the right size, acceptable wardrobe choice et al must be freaking exhausting.:eek:

Damn, we REALLY need a "Like" button! Well said!

I think this thread has run its course..

as an aside.. I recently returned from a cruise on the Allure... and I noticed at the pool nearly every woman had on a bikini... all shapes and sizes , cellulite, no cellulite and everyone was having a great time.. comfortable in their own skin..

in fact I felt out of place in a tankini... lol