M_Class after Solstice changes pros and cons

TomTN

What do you like and not like after the changes to the M Class ships to make them more similar to S Class ships.

Are there more cabins? Are venues more crowded?

We have done 7 cruises on X and 6 on M class ships, but both were already solsticized.

We had no problem with the layout of the ships. However, we have heard two complaints from others that have cruised prior to solsticization.

First, that more cabins were added, which adds more people and more crowding on the ship. We have not noticed a crowding problem per se.

Second, that the Deck 11 bar at the bow of the ship was reduced to add the Fun Factory for kids. Some don't like reducing that bar. We have no problem with the size of the bar.

We've cruised both before and after Solstization on Connie and think they've done a great job updating the ships. We loved the addition of Blu for AQ, the new staterooms on Deck 11 are wonderful! The addition of Bistro on 5 and, in the case of Connie, Tuscan Grill- which is our favorite Spec Rest. was great too. I know they added QSine to the other "M" class, which is ok but we prefer Tuscan to the gimmicky, Qsine. The Martini bar is great....

We did not find the ship overcrowded at all, and we enjoyed her so much that we've booked the same room on Infinity for later this year!!!:)

I have also sailed them before and after......you are asking for opinions,

right? Well, I love the M class ships but I have to admit I still like the

old Martini Bar set up better than the new one. Of course, that doesn't

prevent me from drinking in there now;) but I liked the old one better.

I have also sailed them before and after......you are asking for opinions,

right? Well, I love the M class ships but I have to admit I still like the

old Martini Bar set up better than the new one. Of course, that doesn't

prevent me from drinking in there now;) but I liked the old one better.

I actually like the Martini bar on Century the best. Kind of retro. At least it was the last time we sailed on Century. 2009.

I thought the Martini bar on M Class was just a plaque on the wall. It was actually a part of a larger bar???? Ha, maybe we just sat at the same seats every night under the "Martini Bar" plaque on the wall.:o

Don't like the loss of the rear part of the outside promenade for more cabins, nor the loss of the cinema for same reason. Rest of the "upgrade" makes little difference to us.

OH NO, that is significant. We like to watch a movie on Sea days, and not on a small screen in our cabin.

I actually like the Martini bar on Century the best. Kind of retro. At least it was the last time we sailed on Century. 2009.

I thought the Martini bar on M Class was just a plaque on the wall. It was actually a part of a larger bar???? Ha, maybe we just sat at the same seats every night under the "Martini Bar" plaque on the wall.:o

Hi, The Martini Bar on CENTURY is totally different from any of the other

ships.......I love it too.....:)I will be in that bar on Wednesday:D

When was the last time you sailed CENTURY? It is located next to

Michael's Club.

The Martini Bar on the M class? They moved it when each ship was

Solsticitzied.....they are sort of MID SHIP now.....starboard side,

deck 5.

I notice the difference by the pool. There were about 90 cabins added. 20 of those are triple and quads. When the ship is full- it's very noticeable by the pool. Other than that- I like the modifications. They took a rarely used sports bar and made it into Qsine. They moved the youth program to the front of the ship and partitioned off part of the lounge for the Fun Factory. This created space at the rear of the ship for the Aquaspa cabins. They turned the unused garden shop into the Teen Center. On Deck 3- they added cabins 3112-3144 even numbers. These cabins are new and have nicer fixtures and huge porthole windows. A good choice if you want an outside cabin but avoid connecting cabins because you can hear between the rooms.

They eliminated one of the bar lounges on deck 5 and made that into Bistro on Five. The area called Cellar Masters was scarcely if ever used on the last two voyages I did on Infinity and Summit and I suspect they'll rework this area on the next refurb.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Hi, The Martini Bar on CENTURY is totally different from any of the other

ships.......I love it too.....:)I will be in that bar on Wednesday:D

When was the last time you sailed CENTURY? It is located next to

Michael's Club.

The Martini Bar on the M class? They moved it when each ship was

Solsticitzied.....they are sort of MID SHIP now.....starboard side,

deck 5.

It was 2009 when we were last on Century. The elite cocktail hour(or whatever it is called) was in Michael's, and the Martini Bar was right outside. I remember because there were evenings that we skipped the cocktail hour in Michael's to go to the Martini Bar. The Martini Bar on Century might not be as "hip" as it is on the S Class ships, but it is neat, cool, groovy, etc.:)

It was 2009 when we were last on Century. The elite cocktail hour(or whatever it is called) was in Michael's, and the Martini Bar was right outside. I remember because there were evenings that we skipped the cocktail hour in Michael's to go to the Martini Bar. The Martini Bar on Century might not be as "hip" as it is on the S Class ships, but it is neat, cool, groovy, etc.:)

Oh, it is cool enough for me too:D:);)

On the Connie, I thought that The Tuscan Grill went where the old floral shop was. :confused:

I am not happy that a bar was taken away to add another pay-for eatery. Not a fan of Bistro on 5.

It's also sad that part of Reflections is taken up with the Fun Factory, and part of the upper dining room is blocked by Blu. However, we are reaping the benefits in May when we sail in one of the new AQ's and dine in Blu. ;)

OH NO, that is significant. We like to watch a movie on Sea days, and not on a small screen in our cabin.

You'll just have to book the Penthouse Suite to get a larger screen. :D

I am looking forward to two upcoming cruises on the Constellation. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

Was on the Summit after it was Soltilized and then the Constellation about a month before it was and then the Summit again.

After being on the Constellation I think that they ruined a nice class of ships by trying to make them into something that they were never meant to be. A nice refurb is all that was needed and not adding all the extras that mostly benefit the few that sail in AQ. We sailed in AQ both times on the Summit and that is my opinion so it is not as I am prejudice.

🚢🌅🍸🍻

On the Connie, I thought that The Tuscan Grill went where the old floral shop was. :confused:

I am not happy that a bar was taken away to add another pay-for eatery. Not a fan of Bistro on 5.

It's also sad that part of Reflections is taken up with the Fun Factory, and part of the upper dining room is blocked by Blu. However, we are reaping the benefits in May when we sail in one of the new AQ's and dine in Blu. ;)

You'll just have to book the Penthouse Suite to get a larger screen. :D

I am looking forward to two upcoming cruises on the Constellation. :)

On the Connie, Tuscan IS where the old floral shop used to be. On Millie that same area used to be a sports bar.

We were in 1116 on Connie, great stateroom and Blu was wonderful, as always...enjoy!!:)

Is there somewhere to dance on the M class ships?

Yes, the Rende-Voux Lounge is located outside of the dining room,

deck 4. There is a dance floor and usually a quartet plays music.

(or maybe a trio)..... there is a band that plays in the evenings.

We sailed Constellation before it's first phase of upgrades and loved the ship. Sailing on Constellation in May of 2012, we liked the Tuscan Grill where the flower shop used to be. Also loved the food/dining experience.

Have not sailed Constellation since the full upgrade, but can for sure know that shrinking the jogging deck to put in more cabins is a bummer for me. When you also add more cabins where the theater was, you can only hope there will not be a sense of crowding. I cannot say there is, so I only comment on 2 things:

Tuscan Grill was a plus. Cutting out about 1/2 of the jogging deck is a negative.

As I type this, I would think the AQ balconies that overlook the bar and buffet area at back of ship would to me seem not to be very private. They do face aft and get the wake and they get the passengers sitting out just below them too, but that is speculation as they may be high enough up to still have privacy except when they lean on the balcony rail.

I have sailed on Inifinity both before and after her Solsticization, and while I do like most of the changes, the one mistake I think they made was making the Reflections Lounge smaller to make room for the Fun Factory. Many evenings it was very difficult to find seating in Reflections, post-renovation, when there was a major event going on. Happy sailing!

Dean

On the Connie, Tuscan IS where the old floral shop used to be. On Millie that same area used to be a sports bar.

We were in 1116 on Connie, great stateroom and Blu was wonderful, as always...enjoy!!:)

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused on what you said in Post #10. ;)

We sailed Constellation before it's first phase of upgrades and loved the ship. Sailing on Constellation in May of 2012, we liked the Tuscan Grill where the flower shop used to be. Also loved the food/dining experience.

Have not sailed Constellation since the full upgrade, but can for sure know that shrinking the jogging deck to put in more cabins is a bummer for me. When you also add more cabins where the theater was, you can only hope there will not be a sense of crowding. I cannot say there is, so I only comment on 2 things:

Tuscan Grill was a plus. Cutting out about 1/2 of the jogging deck is a negative.

As I type this, I would think the AQ balconies that overlook the bar and buffet area at back of ship would to me seem not to be very private. They do face aft and get the wake and they get the passengers sitting out just below them too, but that is speculation as they may be high enough up to still have privacy except when they lean on the balcony rail.

Every review that I have read, passengers are loving those aft AQ's. ;)