Boarding / Embarkation Lunch / Cabin Availability

Tarpeian Rock

Hey TRock, in general it depends on your cabin. When we boarded at 2pm they told us our cabin would not be ready until 3pm. Then even when it opened it was quite late before we got our luggage. 5:30 for three of our suitcases and 6pm for the last one. So yes, we went to the Terrace and enjoyed lunch, such a hardship...(smile). Our cabin is the infamous number 7108 with the extra large open balcony. I adore it! Would not switch even if offered upgrade. PH and higher get on earlier ...as do concierge I think.

Terry

Ps, sorry - we did not do cave tubing....haven't run into anyone who has yet to get you an update. But today I learned to Segway in Cozumel...so fun!

In general, are cabins available at boarding, or is the embarkation lunch the place to go before cabins become available?

These days, the turnaround schedule is an open book.

If the passengers from the previous voyage were disembarking on the same morning as you are arriving at the ship, then chances are that the cabins will not be ready immediately.

When you arrive at the Terminal, the staff at the check in counters will be issuing Stateroom key-cards, but when you get onto the ship the doors from the Elevator lobbies into the cabin hallways will be closed and locked until the all Staterooms in a given category are ready.

The Cruise Director makes an announcement as each category of accommodation becomes available.

It may depend on your cabin Cat & when you arrive at the port

Our recent cruise we arrived just after NOON was on the ship by 12:30 but Concierge cabins were not ready until about 1:30pm

Suites & PH cabins were available earlier

You can go to the Terrace Cafe/Waves/Barristas & take a self guided tour of the public areas until the cabin availability is announced

Enjoy

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Our recent cruise we arrived just after NOON was on the ship by 12:30 but Concierge cabins were not ready until about 1:30pm

You can go to the Terrace Cafe/Waves/Barristas & take a self guided tour of the public areas until the cabin availability is announced

Enjoy

Lyn

Which is basically what I just said :o

Enjoy

Lyn

And what time did your luggage arrive?

The latest we have ever gotten our luggage was at 5. We have also had it in the suite when we arrived as soon as the suites were called and ready.

We have gotten it as late as 7 pm. On the other hand, our luggage was at the cabin prior to the "stated" boarding time on one cruise, exactly on time on another and delivered to another cabin on one cruise. For the most part, your luggage will be there by the time stated on your paperwork and higher level cabins do get priority and are delivered first.

Edited by TERRIER1

My personal experience that it has ore to do with when you have boarded than it does of cabin level.

When we board around 11am-12pm luggage comes pretty quickly after we have access to our cabin. When we boarded in Civitavecchia around 4pm two years ago, we received our luggage VERY late ... even though we were in a Vista.

So I say without reservation "it depends".

When we boarded in Barcelona last November we got to the ship around noon and our cabin was already available to us. That had never happened before.

Mura

On are last cruise we boarded at 11:30AM, as we got on the ship they looked at our key (owners suite) and told us the cabin was ready. We when to the cabin and 30mins later the luggage arrived. Then we unpacked and off to lunch.

Hope that happens again when we board in May in New York, however we're in the Oceania Suite this time around.

Rick

In general, yes.

That's my experience, anyway.

Not last time because our cabin was ready when we boarded, so we dropped our carry-on off before going to lunch. But normally we take the carry-on with is.

Which is an argument for not too much carry-on ...

You could also consider delivering some of your carry-on to the guys who bring on your real luggage. It no doubt depends on how much you have with you. Normally our carry-on is not that extensive -- my computer bag and a purse, DH has a small tote bag. That's feasible in the restaurant.

Mura

we were in an Oceania suite last January. We boarded at 11am, precisely. Took about 5 minutes to go through getting the photos etc. We were given our keycard and told our suite was ready. We walked to the suite, dropped the carry ons and then went to have a drink and a light lunch at Waves. when we got back to the suite at about 1215 the suitcases were on the bed.

We were very impressed. We are previous Regent travellers and even though we usually have a suite - last Regent cruise we had the Seven Seas Aft suite - Regent lets everyone into their rooms at the same time. No distinction made for type of cabin either in boarding or on the ship. I don't like this and think the Oceania way is better.

BTW while we were having lunch the CD was announcing that various cabins were ready... I suppose they start with the PH category and move on down.

we were in an Oceania suite last January. We boarded at 11am, precisely. Took about 5 minutes to go through getting the photos etc. We were given our keycard and told our suite was ready. We walked to the suite, dropped the carry ons and then went to have a drink and a light lunch at Waves. when we got back to the suite at about 1215 the suitcases were on the bed.

We were very impressed. We are previous Regent travellers and even though we usually have a suite - last Regent cruise we had the Seven Seas Aft suite - Regent lets everyone into their rooms at the same time. No distinction made for type of cabin either in boarding or on the ship. I don't like this and think the Oceania way is better.

BTW while we were having lunch the CD was announcing that various cabins were ready... I suppose they start with the PH category and move on down.

Hi Gerry..... you just described a major reason why we prefer Regent. Everyone is treated the same -- no preferential treatment for different cabin categories. There are benefits that are offered to different categories but they are done discretely. You know that we disagree on this issue but we did try Oceania and like it very much (specifically, we like the ship -- Riviera -- the food in the specialty restaurants and the upper suites). We do book upper cabins (will try a Vista Suite next) and are trying to learn to sail in the very unusual environment that Oceania offers.

Hi Gerry..... you just described a major reason why we prefer Regent. Everyone is treated the same -- no preferential treatment for different cabin categories. There are benefits that are offered to different categories but they are done discretely. You know that we disagree on this issue but we did try Oceania and like it very much (specifically, we like the ship -- Riviera -- the food in the specialty restaurants and the upper suites). We do book upper cabins (will try a Vista Suite next) and are trying to learn to sail in the very unusual environment that Oceania offers.

Same song different verse!

Pay more get more and everyone can do it. It's not preferential treatment just getting what you pay for.

We do book upper cabins (will try a Vista Suite next) and are trying to learn to sail in the very unusual environment that Oceania offers.

OH MY

Perhaps Oceania is not for you :eek:

You have 1 cruise on Oceania & complained about the class system already so why go back

Just saying :rolleyes:

OH MY

Perhaps Oceania is not for you :eek:

You have 1 cruise on Oceania & complained about the class system already so why go back

Just saying :rolleyes:

Sorry but I do not refer to this as a "class system". I did not "complain" about benefits afforded to some passengers while on the cruise or in the review. Actually, I didn't complain about anything. I've repeatedly stated what I love about Oceania -- perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to read my posts so I'm repeating it here. There are certain aspects of being on a luxury lite or premium plus cruise line that we do not find as appealing as on a luxury line but, again, nothing that I would complain about. Some things do take some getting used to. However, if it was not worth it to us, we would not have booked another cruise (at the same cost as booking a Regent cruise).

Really wish I knew why you do "rolleyes" at me so often. Have I done something to offend you? I am merely a Regent loyalist who appreciates many aspects of Oceania and, above all, want to be supportive of Regent's sister cruise line.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hey TRock, in general it depends on your cabin. When we boarded at 2pm they told us our cabin would not be ready until 3pm. Then even when it opened it was quite late before we got our luggage. 5:30 for three of our suitcases and 6pm for the last one. So yes, we went to the Terrace and enjoyed lunch, such a hardship...(smile). Our cabin is the infamous number 7108 with the extra large open balcony. I adore it! Would not switch even if offered upgrade. PH and higher get on earlier ...as do concierge I think.

Terry

QUOTE]

Terry et al

Good to hear we have 7008 the forward monster un fettered. Got it for 33 loving days from Tahiti to NY. I have been anticipating it for some time... so you would take it over a penthouse....That's good to know as I am debating the potential of an up-sell.

Maybe because I take longer cruises I do not sweat get the luggage as we pack in our carryon's enough stuff for the first day. We don't put away stuff till the next day as we have plenty of time with no need to rush.

Another interesting point too, is people wanting to get to the chow line as soon as they board. My view point is that over the coming weeks I will have more than ample meals; probably skipping several of the course of the cruise. I vastly prefer the first evening dinner over the all-aboard lunch. In addition is seems to be a frenzy of activity that I would rather avoid and have a quiet cocktail somewhere else and settle in slowly.

As to class systems that's seems to be an old school thing that is dying out . For example in the airlines are down-playing the first class aspect title . United for example this past year calls it "boarding group 1" down playing the elite sounding first class so as to not throw it in the face of the economy passengers.

I thus too like Regents all treated the same policy. If you pay more, the better cabin should be your reward plain and simple in my eyes.

Once on deck or boarding everyone has or should have equal status on the rest of the ship as we ALL paid for that. Revel in the privacy of what ever cabin you decided on. On lesser lines they are actively promoting serious class distinctions with aloof sounding names of both status and cabin class with special places for the special people.

Isnt just being on Oceania special enough? It is for me.

Does this mean that you have to keep all your carry on bags with you until your cabin is called as ready?

In general, yes.

That's my experience, anyway.

Not last time because our cabin was ready when we boarded, so we dropped our carry-on off before going to lunch. But normally we take the carry-on with is.

Which is an argument for not too much carry-on ...

You could also consider delivering some of your carry-on to the guys who bring on your real luggage. It no doubt depends on how much you have with you. Normally our carry-on is not that extensive -- my computer bag and a purse, DH has a small tote bag. That's feasible in the restaurant.

Mura

Mura is correct -- as long as your bags have the proper tages, you can leave anything, even a tote, with the porters.

However, we travel with "full carry-ons" -- 22" bags, matching totes, purse and sometimes the Oceania tote -- whatever we can get away with -- because we don't generally bring any other luggage. We don't bother with the porters. We just wheel our rolling luggage, with attached totes, to the Terrace and park it in an unobtrusive corner. Then, it seems like we always manage to meet interesting folks and carry on a conversation over lunch and drinks until announcements that rooms are ready -- even if that's several hours! When we get to our cabin, our luggage always seems to magically arrive at the same time ;):cool::D!