The end of the Suite Luncheon ???

GmaPajama

I hadn't realized this until a roll call friend pointed it out. On the Noordam's January 27th 11 day cruise, there was NO Suite Luncheon. We kept ourselves pretty busy, so didn't even think about that Suite Luncheon. But now that I realize there was none, I thought it deserves a thread of it's own here. Could this possibly be another cost cutting measure? Are suite cruisers on other ships getting their luncheons?

Was expecting one, at least on the TA portion of our 23-night March sailing...now we'll have to see and report back.

If this is a place HAL plans to cut back, it might be because manu of the Neptune Suites are going unsold at regular fare and are being filled with upsells/upgrades. Eliminating "suite perks" will backfire on HAL, tho...those, like us, who booked early at higher fare are aware that other lines are ADDING suite privileges. Of course our main reason for booking SA's is the space, but HAL has to continue to offer incentives to justify the fare differential.:rolleyes:

There was certainly a luncheon on our P'dam cruise in May - in fact, there were two as it was a collectors' cruise ;)

The Neptune suites on our Maasdam cruise are currently sold out, so one would certainly hope that the suite luncheon does happen. I will let you know after we sail.

Very strange. An 11 day cruise should have had one I would have thought.

Was expecting one, at least on the TA portion of our 23-night March sailing...now we'll have to see and report back.

If this is a place HAL plans to cut back, it might be because manu of the Neptune Suites are going unsold at regular fare and are being filled with upsells/upgrades. Eliminating "suite perks" will backfire on HAL, tho...those, like us, who booked early at higher fare are aware that other lines are ADDING suite privileges. Of course our main reason for booking SA's is the space, but HAL has to continue to offer incentives to justify the fare differential.:rolleyes:

I agree that those of us who always pay the early, high fare for our Neptune Suites are becoming less satisfied with Suite amenities. We have now heard of cut backs in Neptune Lounge buffet on two ships. If the trend continues, few will continue to pay full fare for those suites. When we pay THAT much more, we expect those amenities to continue. If they have an upside down system of pricing/selling cabins high for early bookers and then giving them away to last minute people, that is what they will have. Lots of empty cabins until they lower the prices and THEN we will book. We 'know the gig' that is going on.

The domestic airlines painted themselves into a corner the same way. They started "giving away" First Class seats to frequent fliers and allowing cheap upgrades from coach. No longer getting the premium fares they had to cut back on services.

The food in domestic (US) First now is basically what used to be served in coach- except now on a plate. Gone are the carts with prime rib and real French Champagne (they don't even have Sparkling Wine anymore). Many times I have been handed a glass of ice, a can of pop, and 2 mini bottles to make my own drink (yes, for many years I was Elite on Delta and got those upgrades).

They now are trying to get people to pay a premium for the seats however all that is left is a little bigger seat with a little more legroom- not worth a 40-60% or more premium.

How can other cruise lines offer Butler Service, Celebrity is looking at including specialty dining in suites, Princess free initial mini bar, Cunard with the Grills, etc... Do these lines not offer cheap upsells?

I sailed on others back in the 80's a bit but in those days could only think about a suite or glance into one walking past.

I've been a HAL fan since the very early 80's and still love the ships and the warmth of the HAL crews. We book well in advance and pay full price for a suite. Sad to keep seeing things taken away that devalue the product.

Yes I know- we could always go to another line but we really don't want to. We want the Holland America we have loved for so many years.

Perhaps some sort of incentive for paying full suite fare -Signature Beverage Card or Thermal Suite access?

Edited by frankc98376

<snip>

Yes I know- we could always go to another line but we really don't want to. We want the Holland America we have loved for so many years.

Perhaps some sort of incentive for paying full suite fare -Signature Beverage Card or Thermal Suite access?

That is what they count on from us, Frank and KK.

They know for years they have done this and we have paid the high, early booking fares but we enjoyed a number of amenities.

Why would we continue to pay those high, high, high rates and get fewer amenities? :confused:

It is true many people new to Neptune Suites have no idea what they are missing. ;) We who know what we always had included in our fares know but as KK says, if newcomers aren't participating in a forum such as CC, they don't have a clue. HAL counts on that and they expect we will continue to pay what they ask as we always have.

It has always been the people of HAL that keeps bringing us back. We love the HAL crews........ period!!! :D

The domestic airlines painted themselves into a corner the same way. They started "giving away" First Class seats to frequent fliers and allowing cheap upgrades from coach. No longer getting the premium fares they had to cut back on services.

The food in domestic (US) First now is basically what used to be served in coach- except now on a plate. Gone are the carts with prime rib and real French Champagne (they don't even have Sparkling Wine anymore). Many times I have been handed a glass of ice, a can of pop, and 2 mini bottles to make my own drink (yes, for many years I was Elite on Delta and got those upgrades).

They now are trying to get people to pay a premium for the seats however all that is left is a little bigger seat with a little more legroom- not worth a 40-60% or more premium.

How can other cruise lines offer Butler Service, Celebrity is looking at including specialty dining in suites, Princess free initial mini bar, Cunard with the Grills, etc... Do these lines not offer cheap upsells?

I sailed on others back in the 80's a bit but in those days could only think about a suite or glance into one walking past.

I've been a HAL fan since the very early 80's and still love the ships and the warmth of the HAL crews. We book well in advance and pay full price for a suite. Sad to keep seeing things taken away that devalue the product.

Oceania www.oceaniacruises.com

Viking Ocean Cruises www.vikingcruises.com/oceans

Edited by GeriatricNurse
Do not wish it to be posted

"but we really don't want to. We want the Holland America we have loved for so many years." We are fully aware of the options and those sadly do not offer the wonderful Holland America people and ships.

Edited by frankc98376

On our 11-day trip in December there was no lunch, I read about it online, but shrugged it off. The ship was around 2/3s full and we didn't have much people in the Neptune Suites.

We did however have 3 parties, but we only attended 2. The last one wasn't on the last full day, but the day before (a lot of Neptune guests where leaving in Harwich), but since it was an overnight stop, we left to London.

We also had no cooking class, which I regretted a lot more. I was looking forward to doing that.

What we want and what we get are two different things. Times change, things change, nothing sadly stays the same. Afraid you have to accept this - put up or move on.

Note. Staff on other lines ARE just as nice or even nicer than the crew on HAL ships.

One needs to be proactive if booking early and paying full price for a cruise, it does not matter if it is an inside cabin or a Neptune Suite. Call HAL or go to their web site every three or four weeks after you book and check for price reductions.

We booked the Eurodam cruise we are presently on in February of 2013, by watching the web site we ended up getting nearly $1000.00 per person off the original cost of the cruise by the time final payment came around.

We are just off the 21 day cruise on the Zaandam to South America and Antarctica. There was a very nice Suite luncheon held in the Pinnacle Grill. We were treated to a French buffet with wonderful food and a nice wines. There have been no cutbacks on the Zaandam in the Neptune Lounge - all the usual food was out and replenished throughout the day. The service in the Neptune Lounge was spectacular as always.

We noticed that the prices of the Neptune Suites on future cruises (late 2014 and into 2015) seem to have risen dramatically vis a vis the pricing that we've seen in the past. While we understand the need for a price differential versus a standard verandah cabin, with the cutbacks in perks and services mentioned here, along with HAL's policy of continuing to allow smoking on verandahs, it's caused us to start looking for our next suite cruise on another cruise line. We've cruised in a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean and found that there are pluses and minuses versus HAL. The biggest plus is that RCL does not allow smoking on the verandahs. The biggest minus is that the Concierge Lounge (Neptune Lounge equivalent) is not nearly as nice. The Concierge Lounge is only staffed at certain hours and the food selection is very mundane. One of the advantages of the RCL Concierge Lounge is that you do get free alcoholic drinks from 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. nightly.

Change has always been difficult for us but after 20+ cruises on HAL, it looks like we are going to have to find a new "favorite" cruise line. With the cutbacks in suite amenities, the significant pricing differential for Neptune Suites, and the HAL smoking policy, it's time to move on.

One needs to be proactive if booking early and paying full price for a cruise, it does not matter if it is an inside cabin or a Neptune Suite. Call HAL or go to their web site every three or four weeks after you book and check for price reductions.

We booked the Eurodam cruise we are presently on in February of 2013, by watching the web site we ended up getting nearly $1000.00 per person off the original cost of the cruise by the time final payment came around.

Most price reductions for Neptune Suites do not drop until after final payment........ and most are for new bookings only. ;)

The way I understand this is that on shorter cruises it can be really difficult to fit in all the "events" with so few sea days. Maybe this lack of Suite Luncheon has to do with the itinerary: how many port days/sea days.

We had the VIP party and the pre-Mariner's Brunch (for medallion awardees and 4 and 5 stars) combined into one party in the CN on the Statendam last year, instead of the latter being held separately in the Explorer's Lounge.

Most price reductions for Neptune Suites do not drop until after final payment........ and most are for new bookings only. ;)

We must live in two different worlds, every Neptune Suite we have booked has had price reductions and many of them months before the sailing date this also applies to the one Signature Suite we have booked. BTW every booking is a new booking when made. We generally book a year in advance.

I wish you better luck in your future bookings, maybe it is a HAL conspiracy that you are not getting any price reductions or possibly you are living in the fourth dimension?

Like you, we never saw a price reduction on the full suites - back when we were booking them outright. It's almost a crime to know how little we paid for a recent upsell. Makes me feel foolish for ever paying full price. Sad, but true.