Live from Eclipse - some thing spreading

HS2BS

Gosh, we got off the Eclipse on Feb.8th and our sailing was fine - no word on people getting sick with Noro-Virus. There was one thing that was going around though, and that was a cough that never seemed to go away. I developed the cough and when I got home I heard that many people caught this cold with a bad cough. I am still coughing, no fever, no aches, just an annoying cough!!!

Please don't cruise if you are ill! Wash your hands over and over again with soap. Adhere to all the knowledge regarding your health and staying healthy. Respect the others onboard...we don't cruise until June, but hate to hear this from others, because someone always passes this on and on to unsuspecting passengers.:eek:

Gosh, we got off the Eclipse on Feb.8th and our sailing was fine - no word on people getting sick with Noro-Virus. There was one thing that was going around though, and that was a cough that never seemed to go away. I developed the cough and when I got home I heard that many people caught this cold with a bad cough. I am still coughing, no fever, no aches, just an annoying cough!!!

I got the same cough last year on Eclipse. Stayed with me for weeks afterwards. After searching for cruise cough many say its the air con drying out our nasel passages which makes us more likely to catch a bug.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Out of 9 officially reported Norovirus outbreaks (according to the CDC) on ships last year, 4 were Celebrity ships. Thats a little worrying and should be a matter of urgency for X to tackle.

I got the same cough last year on Eclipse. Stayed with me for weeks afterwards. After searching for cruise cough many say its the air con drying out our nasel passages which makes us more likely to catch a bug.

Does anyone wish they could turn the air con off in the rooms, I know the temperature can be adjusted but not sure why it cannot be turned to off. I think this is common on all cruise ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having sailed on Mercury in 2010 when they had that awful noro out of Charleston I can tell you that noro is BROUGHT ON BOARD BY SOMEONE.

Now, if a crew member has it that is another story.

They laser cleaned Mercury for 2 days and we sailed probably on the cleanest ship at sea that time around.

WASH your hands, soap and water. They were funny enough to tell us to sing happy birthday 3 times, then you should be covered for a while.

After a long investigation Celebrity found that a nursing home group came on board from Charleston and wouldn't stay quarantined in their cabins and that helped spread the virus. They all had it and it was traced back to the senior citizen home. I am a senior citizen so don't flame me for saying this please:p

It's not only Celebrity ships. It's every ship that sails the seas, you just hear about the ones that are affecting large groups of folks. This season it seems to be spread around to a few cruise lines.

Noro spreads quickly. Point of fact, the other day my husband and I were in a restaurant and this man sitting across from us sneezed, sneezed and sneezed and it was disgusting since he NEVER covered his mouth or did anything to keep from spewing germs. How sad that we are so thoughtless around others.:mad:

So, sail Eclipse. She is a gorgeous ship. We sail on Equinox on April 4th and can't wait to board. Bring those Lysol wipes. I always wipe everything down as soon as we enter the cabin, including handles, bathrooms and even light switches. Might sound crazy but it makes you fully aware that this could happen. And even though many say the purel doesn't work, it is not really "purel". They have a stronger formula. You can actually smell the difference. Take every precaution they want to provide.

Have a wonderful cruise and stay healthy.:D

Pat

We were on Solstice after a noro outbreak. I am not a germophobic, but I remember on that cruise not touching the stair railings, using my knuckle to hit the elevator button, etc.

Another thing I read recently is that the mucous membranes around the eye are an easy place for germs to get inside your body. The recommendation was to avoid touching your eyes (which I do constantly) if at all possible. That's how the bugs get from your fingers to your entire system. Have to try to do better on that one!

I woke up on the last day of our Century cruise a couple of years ago with a terrible dry cough. By the time we got to the airport I was feverish and achy, but that cough was like nothing I've ever had before (and yes I made sure to cover my mouth.)

My brother is a physician and he said it could be just the flu or some other virus but it also sounded like Legionaires disease.

What ever it was it didn't leave me for weeks and to this day my voice has never been the same and I can no longer hit those high notes when singing in my car. :( (Which my husband is not too upset about):rolleyes:

Out of 9 officially reported Norovirus outbreaks (according to the CDC) on ships last year, 4 were Celebrity ships. Thats a little worrying and should be a matter of urgency for X to tackle.

It's not the ship that is sick...it's the passengers that come aboard ill. Norovirus outbreaks can occur anywhere. Usually where people stay in that environment for sustained periods of time. Nursing homes are an example, and schools.

It's not the ship that is sick...it's the passengers that come aboard ill. Norovirus outbreaks can occur anywhere. Usually where people stay in that environment for sustained periods of time. Nursing homes are an example, and schools.

Celebrity also has the distinction of having had 2 of the 9 worst cases of noro since the CDC has tracked outbreaks on cruise ships. So what is Celebrity not doing that other lines are to prevent it?

I agree however surely every ship has the same chance of sick passengers boarding. Its the sanitary procedures onboard that stop bugs spreading.

Having sailed on Mercury in 2010 when they had that awful noro out of Charleston I can tell you that noro is BROUGHT ON BOARD BY SOMEONE.

Now, if a crew member has it that is another story.

They laser cleaned Mercury for 2 days and we sailed probably on the cleanest ship at sea that time around.

WASH your hands, soap and water. They were funny enough to tell us to sing happy birthday 3 times, then you should be covered for a while.

After a long investigation Celebrity found that a nursing home group came on board from Charleston and wouldn't stay quarantined in their cabins and that helped spread the virus. They all had it and it was traced back to the senior citizen home. I am a senior citizen so don't flame me for saying this please:p

It's not only Celebrity ships. It's every ship that sails the seas, you just hear about the ones that are affecting large groups of folks. This season it seems to be spread around to a few cruise lines.

Noro spreads quickly. Point of fact, the other day my husband and I were in a restaurant and this man sitting across from us sneezed, sneezed and sneezed and it was disgusting since he NEVER covered his mouth or did anything to keep from spewing germs. How sad that we are so thoughtless around others.:mad:

So, sail Eclipse. She is a gorgeous ship. We sail on Equinox on April 4th and can't wait to board. Bring those Lysol wipes. I always wipe everything down as soon as we enter the cabin, including handles, bathrooms and even light switches. Might sound crazy but it makes you fully aware that this could happen. And even though many say the purel doesn't work, it is not really "purel". They have a stronger formula. You can actually smell the difference. Take every precaution they want to provide.

Have a wonderful cruise and stay healthy.:D

Pat

I agree about the precautions you can take. However, if you are fully sanitised and pick up a serving spoon in the buffet ( or a salt pot in the MDR) when the previous handler has exited the restroom and not washed their hands then you are at risk. The only way to protect yourself from this is to never eat anything you bring to your mouth with your hands and not to touch your face with your hands unless they are sanitised first.

Ive followed guys out of a restroom who have exited a stall, not washed their hands and walked into the buffet. Ive also seen a guy on RCI have gel put into his hands only for him to grab a serviette and wipe the gel off. Unless ships enforce hygeine and stop being lily livered to avoid upsetting guests then the issue is unlikely to ever go away.