swimwear

built

My wife and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in april, we are early fifty's in age and from the usa, I need a new swim suit, what is proper for a man 55 with a spare tire around the middle, speedo's are comfortable but not accepted much in america but ok everywhere else, I hate long baggie swim shorts, too old for that young style.

post links to photos from web sites if you have good suggestions.

Wow now we are talking about something I am a real expert in men's swimwear . Please for everyone's sake avoid a Speedo(everyone will think you are from Europe or Canada) the pictures above all look good . We go to the beach a lot in the summer and belong to a local swim club so I need a lot of swimwear (also have spare tire) Every year I wait till the end of summer and buy them on sale many for as little as two and three dollars (some for more) . I have found (here comes the expert part ) that there is little difference in the more expensive and the cheaper ones I have had fancy brands that did not hold up and cheap ones that did .Some will get ruined by hot tubs some wont, cost plays no part in this . They do take a beating from salt water ,pool water and hot tubs etc. The secert to keeping them new is do not wash them in machine, soak in clean water very little soap (no dryer). So if you are going to the Caribbean you will need two .I see many men at he beach and pool with suits that look 10 years old faded, worn out backside and way out of style ,so don't be one of them. Have a nice trip B.T.W. I have over 10 bathing suits D.W. makes fun of this all the time.

The shorter swimsuits in the above examples are what is truly in fashion right now...just in case you're interested in that kind of thing...which I am, but then again, I'm a woman and a self-described "fashionista.":D I live in CA and have about 25 swimsuits (mostly upscale brands bought at the end of the season at places like, Marshalls and TJ Maxx, and usually on average I pay no more than $20 for one. I also get my DH's swimsuits there). Some are just for the hot tubs and spas and others are just for the pool. Yet others are just for everything else. I'm 67...the DH is 6 years younger and the shorter version is what I've encouraged him to buy for our next cruise. I think the longer shorts look just a tad silly on older gentlemen...but that is just my personal opinion. For example...whether I had the body or not...I wouldn't be caught dead in a bikini at my age.:eek: Also, even though I have a personal opinion doesn't mean that I judge people. If, for example, I saw someone older wearing the longer swimsuits, it's not like I'd be saying or thinking..."OMG, look at him!" LOL! I just love to see people having a good time so I really don't care what other people wear, just that they're there, like us, having a great time.

Edited by mousey

LL Bean has the suit for you the suggestion of two suits is advised. Please no speedo and don't worry about your shape there are all shapes on the cruise and some of them are pretty large and some are pretty small just be comfortable. Enjoy

This 100 times over.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Why is that advice good only for men? Shouldn't they somehow try to hide their imperfection or flaw in some way in order to look their best like you always tell the ladies?:confused:

Why is that advice good only for men? Shouldn't they somehow try to hide their imperfection or flaw in some way in order to look their best like you always tell the ladies?:confused:

Um yes, by wearing trunks instead of Speedos they are off to a pretty good start...

Um yes, by wearing trunks instead of Speedos they are off to a pretty good start...

I don't think the OP was even considering a speedo.Trunks don't hide a spare tire, it just spills over.:eek:

thanks for the reply's, those are some nice pics too.

that helped me make up my mind.

If you look at Lands End and LLBean, they usually have sale sections where you can pick up some really good buys.

I agree with cb at sea.....no one cares about your spare tire. Very few have perfect bodies and what you lost in body perfection you gained in the wisdom that comes with age. However, another 56 y/o woman's perspective here......no speedos.......no one wants to see your junk, but your spare tire is fine by me :-) Most of all, enjoy that cruise to it's fullest!

My "spare tire" makes me self conscience. That is why I only wear this bathing suit. I can easily hide a men's girdle underneath to make me look slimmer than I actually am. It's a real confidence builder. ;)

PIm_3247.jpg

Edited by boogs

My "spare tire" makes me self conscience. That is why I only wear this bathing suit. I can easily hide a men's girdle underneath to make me look slimmer than I actually am. It's a real confidence builder. ;)

PIm_3247.jpg

Hot.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Wow now we are talking about something I am a real expert in men's swimwear . Please for everyone's sake avoid a Speedo(everyone will think you are from Europe or Canada) the pictures above all look good.

Um, I'm Canadian and we don't wear Speedos here either, unless you're on a swim team training in a pool :)

OP, the swim trunks will be great :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Um' date=' I'm Canadian and we don't wear Speedos here either, unless you're on a swim team training in a pool :)

OP, the swim trunks will be great :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Thank you.... I was about to post the exact same thing!! I don't think I've ever seen a Canadian in a speedo....

If you want to get something a little more "upscale" than LL Bean/Lands' End, look at Tommy Bahama. It caters for a more mature clientele than the Quicksilver/Billabong/Volcom/Oakley crowd. Some nice trunks in a variety of colors and patterns.