Our heavenly week became the cruise from hell

kjbacon

We hit a storm on Royal many years ago. When it started we were at dinner and all the glasses slid off of our table.The medical staff was even sick...

I was not.

Ended up helping the non- ill purser,s staff hand out Bonnie and barf bags., and comfort sick families

It lasted about 12 hours...there were people laying on the stairs vomiting....something to behold!, dry toast, ginger candy and ginger ale were highly sought after.

It was all over the next day, and became a big joke amongst the passengers .

And our cabin was sent daily champagne from RCL.

Storms happen- and cruising out of the north in winter is not for the weak of stomach.....

Hope the op has a safe trip home and that the captain makes his flight ....I think he was pulling their legs......

And I wish that I were on Gem this weekend instead of plowing thru 18 new inches of snow!!!

I think the captain was kidding when he said he had an 8AM flight. I don't think any captain would insinuate that he would be plowing through terrible weather just so he could make his flight. geez…..

My first roller coaster ride was 40 ft waves and gale force 10 winds, probably 10 years ago on the Dawn. Hurricane Ivan made landfall so the coast was clear but Ivan surprised everyone and made a turn or loop back to sea, that was in September. January 2012 on the Jewel was another doozie of a storm, waves 30 to 35 feet and also gale force winds, what a mess onboard between, dishes breaking in the dining room to everything falling off the shelf in the shops. Both times, I never had any fear at all, the ships can handle this and viewed it as an experience. Still cruising and still cruising the North Atlantic in the winter, sometimes Cape Hatteras can be a bit choppy but most of the time the seas are fine.

I understand being nervous. I am a chicken and get scared in really rough water also. We went on the Epic and that was a rocky couple hours. Just give it time.

I don't think it was the Captain's fault. Blame it on mother nature and just give

her a piece of your mind before your next cruise. LOL

Our very first cruise on Carnival we experienced what was a sub tropical system in the Altlantic. Getting out of Jacksonville was horrible because the tides were too high for the ship to get under the bridge. That left us missing our first port which was Freeport. We finally left at 8:30 at night instead of 4:30. We had a day at sea which was beautiful. The next day we went to Nassau & you could see the storm heading our way. Waves were high! We left Nassau while other ships stayed back. Our captain wanted to get us to Freeport. It was so rough for the 2 days that we missed our port at Freeport. My friends had a balcony and the waves were so high they were coming over the balcony. Everyone was sick (you know where barf bags were taped in the hallways and near the elevators. No communication what so ever from the captain or the cruise director. Shows were cancelled, pools closed, etc. The only place to go was in midship where it was still rough. There were times the glasses on the bar would fall off because we were side ways. Once we finally got back into Jacksonville & finally got of the ship people were kissing the ground. We had decided then that we would never cruise again. We even called the Carnival to try to get some of our money back & they said no way! I think the communication or lack of it was what was disturbing. 2 years later we decided to try it again & love it.

There is no control over the weather. This system wasn't even forecasted. You just have to make the best of what happens out in the ocean. Luckily for us we were with about 7 other families and we still had fun.

We have had the most wonderful time on The Gem (February 8-February 17) and my review was going to gush over the near perfect vacation. But yesterday, we were in such rough conditions, I do not think that I will ever take another cruise. We have just become platinum level, too. I do not know yet what the specifics were last night but suffice it to say how relieved I am this morning and the conditions are listed as 26.2 ft waves and 41 knots wind speed. It's still difficult to stand or walk but it is not harrowing like it was from approx 8 pm till 3am. I cannot understand how we did not hang back near Florida for several extra hours yesterday instead of sailing right into this thing. Earlier this week, the captain made reference to his 8:00 flight home on Monday and we are now wondering if that is an am flight or pm flight. I am sad to think that we forged ahead to ensure an early arrival for his convenience.

Now, tell us about the 6 perfect days.

Sorry to hear that the rough weather put you off cruising. I used to get sea sick really bad and was so scared to cruise but got convinced that big ships can take it and take it well. Guess what? They do.

What a shame you thought this was all the Captain's doing. He never thought about the ship he was in command of and the pax and crew. He was only thinking about himself and not the 2000+ with travel arrangements to get home or the 2000+ on their way to get on the next sailing. Imagine all of the complaints they all would have made. Sad when we can only think of ourselves isn't it.

We had a similar transatlantic cruise on the Gem. The weather started immediately upon leaving the Straits of Gilbraltar. Ocean spray was hitting our 11th deck balcony at times. After nearly getting thrown out of bed the first night, I turned on the navigation channel to check on the wind/waves. It had been disabled (or maybe was simply out of service). So I padded up to the bridge observation room. We had a sustained 80 knot crosswind with gusts up to 120 knots! It was slightly better the next morning, but the weather didn't really settle down until the last couple of days of the crossing.

I discovered that I don't get seasick, and in fact, found it "fun" in an 11-year old kinda way. That feeling was not shared based upon my read of the reviews after reaching home.

We cruised into a Nor Easter (also on the Gem) with 50 ft. waves, so 26 sounds kinda tame! And it wasn't just overnight, it went on for days!

Sorry about the rough weather but it happens - it happened to us on our second cruise (DS's first) and it did not deter us from having a wonderful time or cruising again (we are also Platinum). How have you gotten to Platinum status without experiencing bad weather? You have been very fortunate. I am sure once you are on solid land and think back on your total cruise you will put a little bad weather at the end into perspective. We just sat out an ice storm - I would love to have had a little rough weather at the end of a wonderful cruise. Wish we could have traded:)

Sorry about the rough weather but it happens - it happened to us on our second cruise (DS's first) and it did not deter us from having a wonderful time or cruising again (we are also Platinum). How have you gotten to Platinum status without experiencing bad weather? You have been very fortunate. I am sure once you are on solid land and think back on your total cruise you will put a little bad weather at the end into perspective. We just sat out an ice storm - I would love to have had a little rough weather at the end of a wonderful cruise. Wish we could have traded:)

I've been cruising since I was a kid, and I have had only one bad-weather cruise!

Our January 11 cruise on the Gem we left out of NY and our first 30 hours was like the ride from hell. It did not ruin our cruise. And to boot we were in the DOS on Deck 15 a lot of broken glass in our room! It is a choice we make knowing we might hit really rough seas in the winter. The Captain told us there was no way to avoid it and considering his wife and children were on board I am sure he did the best he could. We had the same scenario this past November only that was the ride back to NY. It seems like the Florida to Cape Hatteras area is pretty rough sometimes.

Edited by mommyto2girls

Gosh, who knew one person could tick so many people off so quick! It was a horrible night and its doesn't make me a treacherous person to wonder when the captain has an 8am flight and one often hears of a reroute to avoid bad weather. Our cabin steward said it was the worst night that he has ever experienced and that his roommate was reduced to tears. Our concierge slept in Cagney's to get out of her room but it is what it is. After 5 cruises out of NYC, I will repeat that but maybe look to heading out of Florida from now on. Once the seas calmed to 26 feet, a nap and a shower did me and many other passengers a world of good. I will prob do a trip review in a few days when I calm down some more and get some rest.