Do you have more luggage than you need?

browneyedwoman

I got a new piece of luggage for Christmas this year. This brings our total count to seven pieces of wheeled luggage, three carry ons, three tote bags and one for hang up clothes. This is only for two people. The good part of it is that when my parents travel with us, they use some of our luggage. Is there anyone else out there who has way too much luggage?

I have a whole closet full of suitcases....from carry-on size to the HUGE bags (that you can't use on a plane anymore, what with weight limits and alll) that you could fit a person my size, if you folded me up! Don't know why...I should get rid of some!!

Nope. I have a 20" roll aboard which is what I use 99% of the time, and a 26" pullman which I use rarely. DH has the same. We also have a garment bag that has seen very little use and an 18" roll aboard which has seen even less use that was a freebie from some contest or raffle we won years ago.

When it's time to 'clean house', donate the extras to Goodwill or Salvation Army. You get an income tax deduction, they get money from the sale in their thrift shops, and someone gets a low cost suitcase they might use. Everybody wins!

We have tons of luggage from duffle bags to 30" behemoths. We usually use our 24-26" bags for most cruises (we usually cruise 10 days or longer), and one 20' size. I know we need to purge, especially the big ones we will never use again, but so far I'm just using them for storage.

Our current luggage is on it's last legs, so it may be time to start luggage shopping again!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

We have tons of luggage from duffle bags to 30" behemoths. We usually use our 24-26" bags for most cruises (we usually cruise 10 days or longer), and one 20' size. I know we need to purge, especially the big ones we will never use again, but so far I'm just using them for storage.

Our current luggage is on it's last legs, so it may be time to start luggage shopping again!

If you are able to drive to a port, you can use the large 30-31 inch bags!

We had too much luggage but most of it was in very usable condition.

I remembered a neighbor volunteers at a homeless shelter and she once mentioned they try to get luggage for some of their clients. They love to be able to get rid of the plastic bags some carry and have a suitcase. I donated a number of pieces and she said the shelter was appreciative to receive them.

If you are able to drive to a port, you can use the large 30-31 inch bags!

They are permitted to be checked and brought aboard but they are so heavy to handle when they are fully packed. I got rid of really large bags.... no need to strain ourselves.

I have a 28" hybrid, 20" hard sided carryon, 20" soft sided carryon (from my previous set where the big suitcase finally died), garment bag, smaller rolling bag and zippered "tote" bag. When I fly, I check the 28" and pack the tote inside my 20" carryon. That way I have extra space for souvenirs. I'd love to bring the garment bag though.

Each piece has a purpose. I use the smaller rolling bag for toiletries on short driving trips. My brother has used the garment bag before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too much. I've had a part time second job in a luggage store for 6 years now. Prior to getting the job I already had plenty of luggage and now have at least 8 more pieces.

Not to mention packing cubes, folders, totes,compression bags, passport covers, refillable bottles and everything else you can imagine for travel. No, I don't take it all with me, I prefer to travel fairly light. But I sure have plenty of options to choose from :)

I have wayyyy too much. My 3 big, old 28-30" rollers have been relegated to seasonal clothes storage (winter fleece & ski wear). Still in play is:

Osprey Porter 46 and Porter 65 non-rollers (convertible w/ backpack straps)

Osprey Sojourn 25"(65Litre) roller

Eagle Creek 22" Tarmac roller

Eagle Creek Weekender non-roller (fits on top of Tarmac)

eBags Mother Load Weekender 22" non-roller

eBags Mother Load Weekender Jr. 18" non-roller

THEN, we have to get in to all the various daypacks I have (at least 6 of them), messenger bags (at least 3 of them)…..

And, we won't get in to the foldable, packable pieces…

What I take is totally dependent on where I'm going, how long I'm going and my modes of transportation.

Do my ski bag, boot bag, and golf travel bag count ;)

I have a few larger heavy pieces that have seen better days but still usable. On my upcoming TA (yeah, first one) I plan on getting a nice 26" spinner for clothes. The only other bag will be a spinner carry-on. all other luggage pieces will be donated to Goodwill. This 50lb. limit is so helpful in that I'm only going to bring what I absolutely need. As I am driving to Ft. Lauderdale to leave, I plan on using all of the 1/2 used bottles of shampoo, mouthwash, sun lotions, face creams, soap etc and leaving it in the hotel the last night of our journey so I don't have to have any additional weight.

Instead of giving the airlines $100 per extra bag, I'd rather have a few more martini's aboard!!!

As a frequent business traveller, I have the following:

1) duffel bag

2) rolling carry on for shorter trips (as long as one week for business)

3) large rolling bag (sometimes my business trips can be 14+ days)

That's it. Never needed more.

I got a new piece of luggage for Christmas this year. This brings our total count to seven pieces of wheeled luggage, three carry ons, three tote bags and one for hang up clothes. This is only for two people. The good part of it is that when my parents travel with us, they use some of our luggage. Is there anyone else out there who has way too much luggage?

of course not. I have different luggage for different types of trips and different lengths. my weekend trips to family are one style, my week long land based trips are another and my cruising luggage is a yet another.

what i will admit to having too much of are tote bags. I must have 3 dozen and I think I use 2 or 3 regularly when on vacation. One larger straw one for beachy ports and a large-ish cloth one for shopping ports. and my smaller one to wander around ship with carrying my kindle and sea pass.

Funny this topic was brought

We each have a roll aboard. My dh's wheel broke on a recent business trip & he needs to leave today on another trip. He won't borrow my purple one, my ds#1 going away on Fri & needs his, luckily ds#2 has one he can use. Moral of the story having an extra isn't too bad.:)

Yeah, I'm a sucker for luggage...always looking for the next great "solution." I believe I have 4 rolling bags, plus at least as many small backpacks or totes to accompany them.

But on the vast majority of trips I've used a standard 21" rolling carry-on plus a collapsible day pack.

Whew! I don't feel so bad now! I thought I had way too many luggage pieces...and now I just might go get another one to catch up. LOL Just kidding, but I do have more than I actually need.

1 27" roller delsey bag, not spinner

2 25" spinner type cases,

1 22" spinner carryon type size.

Many, lost count...tote bags/carry on totes

Too many travel toiletry bags/makeup bags, and travel gadgets.

I always head to the luggage department of stores to look, usually can resist, but love the new patterns and styles.

I can remember the days of no wheels, heavy suitcases and garment bags that hurt your back to carry them. Now I have the lightest possible bags to avoid extra cost.

I think we need a support group :D

We only have a few pieces of check-in luggage, but when it comes to carry-ons, totes, backpacks, etc. I must admit to being a luggage slut, too.

I wasn't doing too bad, relatively speaking, and then I met Lug. :p

Over the last two years, I've picked up 9 different pieces of Lug. The only real saving grace is I've only paid full price for two of them, that and DH has an expensive hobby (salt water aquariums) so I could probably run the table at the Lug website and still not come anywhere near what he's spent over the years.

After our last trip, he saw how useful the Lug pieces can be, especially the travel wallet. He knows I'll reign it in (until the next sale, at least).

Edited by FawnRiver
additional text

I have a guest room that is called the 'luggage room'. I had a bed frame customized so I could fit the larger cases under the bed there are at least eight. I gave away our old Kirkland 25 inchers as they were so heavy. I still get worried when we fly that my luggage won't be under the size and weight limits.

The dresser in that room has misc packing cubes, luggage straps, cosmetic bags, and a lot of totes (purchased and freebies from conferences).

Going on Qantas and I am trying to figure out how to keep the carry on to less than 15 lbs. Even the eBag and Eagle Creeks weight 7 lbs when empty.