you have to pay extra for that also?

Ilovepj

HI,

First I saw that charge for a coffee card, or drink horrible coffee.

Now I see you have to pay extra to sit in the sanctuary on the ship?

This is my first time on princess, and I am beginning to think boy what a mistake.

I have sailed Some of RC's nicest ship and carnival and also had great free coffee, and the adult area was free to sit in.

Is this all true?

You don't need a coffee card. Try the freely available coffee first. If you like it, all set. A lot of people say bad things about the coffee, but in my case, I don't mind it. Now, if you want coffee drinks, go for it.

The Sanctuary is a small adults only area that you do pay for. The difference is that you get your own lounger. You aren't paying for admission. Once the loungers are sold, that's it. So its different than an adults only area.

There is also an adults only area that is free.

The coffee is subjective. I was so prepared for this awful Princess Coffee on my first cruise I took my own coffee maker...The coffee was just fine and I packed it away. Love having coffee and juice brought to my stateroom every morning at no charge...(except a tip).

The coffee card is for specialty coffees or "fresh brewed or drip coffee.

As for the sanctuary...again subjective. I have never found that many kids on board to make a big difference in the pools. We usually sit one deck up from the pool and watch the oceon instead.

Well glad to hear I might like the free coffee, I don't buy any special kinds of coffee, so 33 dollars would be a waste for me to spend.

And I will sit in other places other then paying to sit some place.

OK live and learn, Might be my first and last princess cruise, ha.

HI,

This is my first time on princess, and I am beginning to think boy what a mistake.

I have sailed Some of RC's nicest ship and carnival and also had great free coffee, and the adult area was free to sit in.

Is this all true?

Sanctuary is pay only but, just outside is the adult "retreat" pool area that is open to all.

I don't drink coffee, but my wife never complained about the coffee in the buffet. The coffee card gets you specialty lattes and cappuccinos. I thought the coffee card was a good deal for what you get.

Every line has things that they do differently or better. I love "Serenity" deck on Carnival. The International Cafe on Princess is a gem.

I'm just off Royal Princess and never felt barraged by "up-selling" by crew members.

Ruby is a very highly rated ship. I think you'll enjoy your cruise.

You can carry the coffee card over to additional cruises if you dont use all the "speciality" coffee drinks upon this cruise (we had half a card left over from last years) you just cant carry over drip coffee...as for the sanctuary you can use the pool and seats around the pool for free...aft deck pool is usually for adults as well...we never found a reason to need the sanctuary ....thats us however...Enjoy

I'm another who never saw the need to pay for the Sanctuary. Our favorite place on the Grand-class ships is the spa pool and hot tubs. It's one deck below the Sanctuary and is free and adults only. There's also the pool at the back of the ship that's for adults only.

I hope you start the cruise with a more positive attitude - otherwise this might become a self fulfilling prophecy.

We're just off a Ruby (first time on that ship) B2B. My husband had an old coffee card with punches but only bought specialty coffee twice and saw no need to pay for brewed coffee. We used the Sanctuary for the first time ever and really enjoyed it (the thickly padded chaise lounges are heavenly!) especially since there were a number of sea days and when in port we still used it before/after excursions. The important thing is that these are available but no one is 'forcing' you to buy them. You see the coffee card displays on the first day of the cruise and the Sanctuary details just appear daily in the "Locations, Hours & More" section of the Patter (daily newsletter).

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

As others have said, coffee is free in all restaurants and buffet. Some like it, some don't. If you drink specialty coffees such as mocha, cappuccino etc, the coffee card is the way to go. The fact that you get free brewed coffee along with the coffee card is a nice bonus. Everyone decides what they want to spend their money on and everyone also decides whether the free coffee is to their taste or not. So, to answer your question, yes, you have to pay for fancy coffee drinks!

Might be my first and last princess cruise, ha.

If I felt that way, I would cancel. Otherwise, I'm sure

everything on the ship would be living down to my

expectations.

As to the coffee -- cruise critic is a huge magnet for complainers.

There are some here who think 'critic' has some special meaning

like reviewer -- but 99 44/100 of the posters thing critic means

criticize.

Name any topic, and there are people here who complain about it.

Coffee -- lots of complaints. But, lots of people are fine drinking

the free coffee as well. Just as lots of people drink coffee they make at

home, without ever having to go to Starbucks.

Edited by pablo222

HI,

Is this all true?

You did not mention what ship. On the Grand class ships the free coffee is prepared from a liquid coffee concentrate and is similar to that found in Burger King and many restaurants. I like it fine. On the Royal there is free coffee made from ground coffee.

The sanctuary is more of a spa like area where you can reserve your own very comfortable lounger by the 1/2 day or for the entire cruise. They also offer massages and special light eats there. On Grand class ships it is just above an adults only pool which is open to all. On the Island and Coral the sanctuary has it's own pool. I have not heard of any ships that do not charge for spa areas.

On grand class ships there are two free adult pools, one forward by the sanctuary and the other aft.

The Royal also has a free adult pool one deck above the main pool.

If you don't like Princess it will not be because of the pools, or the coffee, there will be other reasons. Go with an open mind. Princess is different than RC and Carnival so expect that. They have lots of evening activities and live music and lots of dining choices with no extra charges.

If by adult areas you mean topless, there are no such areas on Princess.

HI,

Is this all true?

You are not required to pay for anything extra (though auto-tips are highly recommended). What you choose to pay for is up to you.

If you have a positive attitude, you'll find you have a much better time.

"OK live and learn, Might be my first and last princess cruise, ha."

If you head on board with that mindset it could very well be your last Princess cruise, which would be a shame. Instead, since you are celebrating your 25th anniversary on board, hopefully you will be able to relax and enjoy your time together.

Coffee preferences are so subjective. DH and I use the coffee card because we only drink espresso-based beverages at home. DH is the best barista ever, so we make due with the product of other barista's while on board. At home, we use Starbuck's bean for our espresso, but we hate their brewed coffees. See, things are really subjective where coffee is concerned. But early in the morning, if we want a wake -up room service delivery, DH will drink the regular Princess coffee and enjoys it just fine. I prefer tea first thing in the morning.

The Lotus Spa pool, forward on Deck 16, is an adults only area. It is free. The Sanctuary is more of a spa experience, and depending upon our mood and the itinerary we may or may not book it for the entire cruise. This last cruise we did just fine with the Lotus Spa pool, and our balcony.

I can offer you a suggestion - read the brochure on the Princess website, read the FAQ's, read all about your ship, and then come back here with what questions you might have.

You might notice that we only sail on Princess. We are very pleased with the product and were delighted to be able to start cruising again this year, after my health improved enough in the last few months to make cruising realistic for us again.

If you go with an open mind, I think you will have a wonderful time. Happy Anniversary!

Well glad to hear I might like the free coffee, I don't buy any special kinds of coffee, so 33 dollars would be a waste for me to spend.

And I will sit in other places other then paying to sit some place.

With such negative expectations, Princess can only impress you beyond your expectations .

A little research about the cruise before you book, would have limited you anxiety.

The Sanctuary is a special area with extra large and comfortable loungers. It's adults-only but also a quiet place to relax. Attendants are there to bring you iced towels if it's hot, blankets if it's chilly. They bring you beverages and you can order food delivered for a $3 fee. It's not your ordinary adults-only area but is far more luxurious.

First let me say, I am not going with a bad mindset, I was just asking questions based on what I see on the boards. I never paid for a coffee card, and I have been on lots of cruises, I never listed all my cruise on here.

I enjoy being on a ship, so nothing would ever get me down. But saying that, I don't buy anything I think is something I don't need.

So that's why I was asking about all these extra charges I saw or read about.

My son has sailed princess and loves it, that is why I am doing a short one to try it out. We are sailing on the Ruby, since someone asked me that question.

If the sanctuary is for the spa, then that's fine, I don't do massages anyway.

And I will drink the free coffee, etc.

I don't drink, hubby might have a few beers, but he does not drink much either. I already pre paid for our tips, since some one brought that up, I would Never not tip the crew, they work so hard for so little. And we have always given extra the last night of the cruise.

But thanks all for your answers.

My first Princess cruise will be on the Ruby in 6 weeks. At first I was distressed about the coffee (thinking it was the ONLY way you could get coffee), but then I realized that it's actually a good deal compared to Starbucks and the free brewed coffee is a great bonus!

Now with regard to the Lotus Spa - what is included? Some of you mentioned the pool and hot tub - how about the gym, sauna, steam room, fitness classes? And that whole area is adults only?

So there are 2 main pools for everyone, the Sanctuary and Lotus Spa for adults only and is there another adults only area? I'm unclear if people are referring to the Lotus Spa or third area.

Thanks!

HI,

Is this all true?

Can't say much about the specialty coffee as I've never bought a card, but the free coffee at morning room service etc was fine for me.

As far as The Sanctuary, it is not a place you pay to just go sit, you pay for the experience.... The quiet, away form crowds, being served water, coffee, and afternoon tea time with tea, coffee, mini sandwiches, desserts. On the Royal Princess it was $40/pp/day. Not for everyone for sure and can get pricy for the week but we did enjoy it a couple of days. There are plenty of FREE places to sit and relax elsewhere.

Don't fret...it wasn't a mistake & you'll have a good time.:o

You can carry the coffee card over to additional cruises if you dont use all the "speciality" coffee drinks upon this cruise (we had half a card left over from last years) you just cant carry over drip coffee...as for the sanctuary you can use the pool and seats around the pool for free...aft deck pool is usually for adults as well...we never found a reason to need the sanctuary ....thats us however...Enjoy

Alas, this is no longer true. Today's coffee cards are cruise specific and therefore not as much of a bargain as they used to be!:(

The Ruby short cruises are a great way to get a taste of Princess at a bargain rate. You will have 4 pool areas to enjoy with plenty of loungers around the decks. Two of them are adults only areas. No charge.

Coffee served in restaurants and the buffet is fine by me. I get the coffee card for the specialty coffee drinks. It carries over from one cruise to another as long as I haven't used up the punches.

Your negative remark "Might be my first and last princess cruise, ha." sounds like you are not prepared to enjoy yourself before you've even boarded the Ruby. :confused:

I wouldn't waste my money no matter how reasonable the fare, if I wasn't prepared to enjoy myself. :)

Alas, this is no longer true. Today's coffee cards are cruise specific and therefore not as much of a bargain as they used to be!:(

They are cruise specific for brewed coffee, but they carry over for specialty coffee drinks provided there are punches left on them.

Where did you read this? I just got off the Crown and used my old coffee card. Worked just fine.

I still have even more punches on it as I found the 'syrup' coffee better tasting than my mochas at IC this trip. Don't know if it was because I was in warmer climates or just not feeling the mocha thing. I plan on using it for my next trip as well.

The Ruby short cruises are a great way to get a taste of Princess at a bargain rate. You will have 4 pool areas to enjoy with plenty of loungers around the decks. Two of them are adults only areas. No charge.

Coffee served in restaurants and the buffet is fine by me. I get the coffee card for the specialty coffee drinks. It carries over from one cruise to another as long as I haven't used up the punches.

Your negative remark "Might be my first and last princess cruise, ha." sounds like you are not prepared to enjoy yourself before you've even boarded the Ruby. :confused:

I wouldn't waste my money no matter how reasonable the fare, if I wasn't prepared to enjoy myself. :)

If you would have read my last post, you would have seen I am not going on the cruise with a bad mind set, cant anyone ever ask questions without people thinking how my mind is working.

I am just not use to spending extra money for regular coffee (which was what I was asking) and pay extra to sit some where on a ship. But trust me, I always enjoy going on cruises. Amen.

The unused punches are carried over from cruise to cruise. Only the "fresh brewed" coffee is cruise specific.