Going to rain on my cruise!! :(

urbanfresh

Hello all,

I've been stalking the threads for a while, and now I'm so devastated I need your wisdom and support.

I just checked the weather forecast for my 4-Day Catalina/Ensenada cruise and it's going to be raining the last two days, and and cloudy the day before that. I'm so sad!! I was really hoping for good weather to put on a swimsuit and have that beach-y cruise feel, and now this!!

I'm wondering if we should reschedule for later in the year, but I don't want to waste my week vacation. Do you all think I should stick with this booking or what? I promise I'm not this whiny, but I've been wanting to cruise for years, and now on my very first it decides to rain.

February is the beginning of the SoCal rainy season.

We are in desperate need of any rain we can get. I'm surprised we haven't started mandatory water rationing yet.

Just off the Inspiration 15 hours ago. We had a wonderful time. The new MDR menu was very good. Good service, funny comedians.

We've cruised in the rain and there will be tons of stuff to do. At worst you will not be able to tender in Catalina, the channel is rough enough on calm days. On the brighter side La Bufadora (blowhole) in Ensenada will be spectacular.

You are within the penalty period. You will lose a good percentage (if not all) of your cruise fare if you cancel now.

Edited by SadieN

Hello all,

I've been stalking the threads for a while, and now I'm so devastated I need your wisdom and support.

I just checked the weather forecast for my 4-Day Catalina/Ensenada cruise and it's going to be raining the last two days, and and cloudy the day before that. I'm so sad!! I was really hoping for good weather to put on a swimsuit and have that beach-y cruise feel, and now this!!

I'm wondering if we should reschedule for later in the year, but I don't want to waste my week vacation. Do you all think I should stick with this booking or what? I promise I'm not this whiny, but I've been wanting to cruise for years, and now on my very first it decides to rain.

It won't rain 24/7, go have a good time. Many ships also have covers over one of the pools so you can still enjoy that part of the cruise.

I took a 10 day caribbean cruise and I kid you not, it rained 7 out of 10 days! My attitude became "I'm having a great time because I'm not at work". Was it my best vacation, of course not, but it was still a good vacation.

Do you all think I should stick with this booking or what? I promise I'm not this whiny, but I've been wanting to cruise for years, and now on my very first it decides to rain.

Do the cruise. Ten years from now you can tell others, "On my very first cruise it rained two days....but we had a blast."

OR

"On my very first cruise it was supposed to rain but we went anyway. It didn't rain a drop. We had a blast!!"

My husband and I cruised to Canada from NY a few years back. It was in July and we were in fog the whole way there and back. It was beautiful the day we spent in St Johns so that was nice. However on the bright side, it was the most relaxing vacation we have had. We have 3 boys(one with special needs) and this was our first real trip with out them. We took naps, played cards, read and just did absolutely nothing. Even though the weather was bad we enjoyed the trip.

Hello all,

anyone who lets a little weather ruin their vacation will never have a good vacation.

We take what we get with weather.

Start thinking forward to a "Plan B".

Think positively and maybe you'll find the weather far better than you anticipated.

Life is full of disappointments. I hope this is the worst you suffer if, indeed, the weather is less than ideal. ;)

Try to have fun.

Hello all,

Two days before we left to meet the ship for our cruise out of San Juan I looked at the forecast for the ports of call and all but one show showers for the day we would be there. It did not rain a drop on us the entire vacation. Sometime we forget that forecasting weather is really nothing more than a SWAG.

I'd go too, as others have said.

But I think you've gotten yourself focused on something that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Did you check out the weather in So Cal and Norther Baja in February before you booked? Even when it's sunny it's not always beach weather in February, and February normally is the rainy season.

So IF you can change without a big cost, maybe you should plan this once in a lifetime trip for some time when you have a chance of getting the experience you expected.

However, I will still go back to what others have said - there are things you are not expecting which you might like even more if you can let go of that one expectation, if you can.

Two days before we left to meet the ship for our cruise out of San Juan I looked at the forecast for the ports of call and all but one show showers for the day we would be there. It did not rain a drop on us the entire vacation. Sometime we forget that forecasting weather is really nothing more than a SWAG.

:confused:

What does "SWAG" mean?

Thank you all for the replies!!!

I've decided that I'm still going to go on my cruise adventure! Besides, it's the first out of many to come!! I can be a little OCD about things at times, ( I just honestly want the people who are with me to have a great time) but usually I end up enjoying myself and whatever it was that we had planned. I.e in December I took my Sister and Nephew to Disneyland for their first time, and 3 days before the trip rain was forecasted. I was sick! I thought about canceling the trip and all types of other things. But I stuck with it, and it ended up being one of my favorite Disneyland trips of all time! Now I hope for rain whenever I'm planning a trip to my second home!!!

I can't continue to let external forces completely out of my control, dictate my desires and experiences.

Once again thank you all. I'm going to be on that ship next week with my swimsuit and my Disneyland rain poncho on top if it comes to that! Looking forward to updating you all on the trip, and I will definitely be posting a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello all,

Your first three days will be in the mid 70's, you might have rain sailing back from Ensenada, save all your onboard activities for Thursday.. happy cruising

February is the beginning of the SoCal rainy season.

We are in desperate need of any rain we can get. I'm surprised we haven't started mandatory water rationing yet.

Just off the Inspiration 15 hours ago. We had a wonderful time. The new MDR menu was very good. Good service, funny comedians.

We've cruised in the rain and there will be tons of stuff to do. At worst you will not be able to tender in Catalina, the channel is rough enough on calm days. On the brighter side La Bufadora (blowhole) in Ensenada will be spectacular.

You are within the penalty period. You will lose a good percentage (if not all) of your cruise fare if you cancel now.

From what I've heard, the water rationing from a few years ago never was officially rescinded. It was just not being enforced around here. But we really do need the rain. The mountain I live right beside is so brown when it should be green right now (with maybe some white from rare snow).

Glad you are going to go ahead and take your cruise!

Seldom do any rain showers you may/may not have last very long this time of year.

Expect to have a wonderful cruise! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Actually here in Southern California, when it's rainy, it's usually for all day for several days straight at times. A couple of cruises ago, it had rained here for seven days straight by the time we were driving to the port. Rained some more that day, the next day and on our way back. We were experiencing our first MUTS with a lot of wind blowing about (our teen along with her new friends didn't let rain keep them from the pool and from watching the movies).

People get amazed that it's not always sunny here, especially if they're here during May Gray and June Gloom. Beach weather doesn't start til late June, but we'll get three digit temps through even October.

We seriously do need rain, and would gladly accept some of the precipitation from the mid-West and east coast.

I spend a full day walking Tallinn Estonia in the rain. I had to dress well under the rain coat, but it never stopped me from taking photos or shopping. I walked the walls and a few towers. I wanted sun but it was far better than a day at home at work. It could have rained MORE and it would still be better. Hot shower when back on ship.

Go. Experience. All.

M

• 1 month later...