Is this B2B itinerary legal?

Beachin2

Nope, not legal, since technically the ship is transporting you from Seattle to LA...however, if you changed cruise lines, you would be OK.

I know several are going to post that aren't familiar with the PVSA, that say it's ok, because it's 2 different cruises, but it's not under PVSA rules.

Debbie

The PSVA can be such a pain!

Looking to maybe book the new Jewel September 2015 itinerary B2B:

#1 Seattle to Vancouver (7 nt. Alaska)

#2 Vancouver to LA (8 nt. Relo)

Is this itinerary B2B fair or foul?

Not legal. You need to visit a distant foreign port because you are being transported between two different US ports.

Isn't Vancouver in Canada? If so, that would make it legal I would think. I could be wrong though. Just wondering.

Nope the government in it's infinite wisdom does not see Vancouver as a far foreign port. Same issue comes up when people try to combine the last of season Alaska cruise with the transit to Hawaii

Nope the government in it's infinite wisdom does not see Vancouver as a far foreign port. Same issue comes up when people try to combine the last of season Alaska cruise with the transit to Hawaii

Thank you for the insight... you learn something every day :)

I would love to see someone book it as two separate unlinked reservations. Then disembark, luggage and all in Vancouver, then come back in the afternoon and check in again as if it is a new cruise altogether. I can't imagine that anyone would say anything since luggage has been removed and the passenger has gone through immigration as always. I think the problem always comes up because passengers want to book the same room for both legs or just move their stuff from one room to the other.

Someone should try it and report back to us what happens. :D

Gina

I would love to see someone book it as two separate unlinked reservations. Then disembark, luggage and all in Vancouver, then come back in the afternoon and check in again as if it is a new cruise altogether. I can't imagine that anyone would say anything since luggage has been removed and the passenger has gone through immigration as always. I think the problem always comes up because passengers want to book the same room for both legs or just move their stuff from one room to the other.

Gina

There have been lots of threads on various cruise lines over the years on this subject. Usually, they can't even be booked. Most cruise agents, in fact, refer to it as the Jones act, which is cargo, not people.

I had friends a few years ago, that were allowed to book a B2B, only to be told a couple of months before, that a leg would need to be canceled. They had already booked hotel and flights.

This is governed by the CBP, and not the cruise lines. Cruise lines can receive severe penalties, if they knowingly allow this.

There have been lots of threads on various cruise lines over the years on this subject. Usually, they can't even be booked. Most cruise agents, in fact, refer to it as the Jones act, which is cargo, not people.

I had friends a few years ago, that were allowed to book a B2B, only to be told a couple of months before, that a leg would need to be canceled. They had already booked hotel and flights.

This is governed by the CBP, and not the cruise lines. Cruise lines can receive severe penalties, if they knowingly allow this.

Definitely a law that is past it's prime and needs retiring.

Gina

Yea - and good luck taking up a collection if they didn't let me back on! ;)

I'm a bit confused here. Can somebody explain why this would be illegal? I've never done a B2B and wasn't aware this could be an issue.

One of the restrictions in the PVSA has to do with transporting people between US ports.

If a non-US flagged carrier takes a person from a US port to the same US port, then they have to visit any foreign port.

If a non-US flagged carrier takes a person from a US port to a different US port, then they have to visit a a distant foreign port. In the Caribbean, some distant foreign ports would be cities in South America, Aruba, and Curacao. In the Pacific, the distant foreign ports would be farther from the west coast than Hawaii.

What does PVSA stand for?

Passenger Vessel Services Act.

As I recall, the act dates back 100 years or so and was designed to protect US flagged vessels from unfair foreign competition. Since there is now only 1 (as far as I know) US flagged passenger vessel, it seems like it's time to rescind the act.

Buggy whip ordinances needed to be changed too.

Good campaign for CC to take on?

As I recall, the act dates back 100 years or so and was designed to protect US flagged vessels from unfair foreign competition. Since there is now only 1 (as far as I know) US flagged passenger vessel, it seems like it's time to rescind the act.

Buggy whip ordinances needed to be changed too.

Good campaign for CC to take on?

Is there another cruise line around the same dates, that embarks in Vancouver, and then you could board the Pacific coastal? Maybe stay in Vancouver a couple of days, if needed?

This law has been fought before with some pretty high ranking politicians...it didn't get anywhere.

I don't think this is correct or they couldn't have cruises to nowhere

You may not think its correct, but it is. Cruises to nowhere aren't visiting any other ports. Just like you will never see a cruise just visit a U.S. port ie; Miami-Key West-Miami. They will always visit a foreign port.

Sorry, you would be incorrect sir :D

Edited by whitshel

The PSVA can be such a pain!

Looking to maybe book the new Jewel September 2015 itinerary B2B:

#1 Seattle to Vancouver (7 nt. Alaska)

#2 Vancouver to LA (8 nt. Relo)

Is this itinerary B2B fair or foul?

Im sure you are talking about the Jewel, I was thinking about doing this but in the reverse, San Diego to Vancouver, Vancouver to Seattle. But after I started thinking about it, I knew it wouldn't be allowed.:(