Worst thing that ever happened to you on a cruise?

The worst thing to happen for me is when they tell me I have to leave the ship :(.

For my son it was on our last cruise. We were in Dominica and we stopped by to visit Mr. Nice and his fruit stand. My son had some coconut in his mouth and then Mr. Nice said something that made my son laugh. When he laughed a piece of the cocnut broke free and shot up into his sinus cavity. Once we were back on board we could see the pain in his eyes. His poor face was swollen for at least two days and he was in so much pain. That darn piece of coconut was lodged in there for almost 2 weeks before his sinus cavity became clear. :eek:

We now laugh about it and always give him crap anytime he eats anything with coconut in it :D.

The worst thing to happen for me is when they tell me I have to leave the ship :(.

For my son it was on our last cruise. We were in Dominica and we stopped by to visit Mr. Nice and his fruit stand. My son had some coconut in his mouth and then Mr. Nice said something that made my son laugh. When he laughed a piece of the cocnut broke free and shot up into his sinus cavity. Once we were back on board we could see the pain in his eyes. His poor face was swollen for at least two days and he was in so much pain. That darn piece of coconut was lodged in there for almost 2 weeks before his sinus cavity became clear. :eek:

We now laugh about it and always give him crap anytime he eats anything with coconut in it :D.

Gosh! Did they really make you leave the ship??

LuLu

~~~~

We were on a Panama Canal cruise and made a stop in Cartegena, Colombia. We went on an island tour and enjoyed it very much. Toward the end of the tour, we were walking through a courtyard, covered in cobblestones. DH tripped and landed on his elbow. You guessed it, he had a cracked elbow. The doctor and nurse in the ships infirmary we were wonderful and took good care of him. He missed dinner that night, the meds they gave him knocked him out.

On a 4 night cruise taking my daughter and my granddaughter with us. My granddaughter ended up getting sick for the 4 days and my daughter was sick for 2 of them.

On our first cruise I ended up with a migraine while on an excursion. I ended up passing out on the gangway. I did get better for the cruise and then the day we were leaving I ended up with another one. That was a horrible long flight home.

tigercat

We were on RCCL Mariner of the Seas and my husband came down with the norovirus. He was so sick and they quarantined us both till he was without symptoms for 24 hours. Thank God we had a balcony, I would have eaten the paint off the walls. He was wiped out for the whole trip ,poor guy.

Last night of our cruise we received a notice that as "aliens" arriving in a US port (Tampa) we were required by US Customs to report to the Schooner Bar at 7 a.m. No other explanation. As you can imagine, this changed all our early morning plans.

At 7 a.m. the two of us, and about a hundred of our fellow "alien" friends, had to stand in line to wait for interviewing by 3 US Customs officials who had set up desks in the Schooner. They asked questions like "What was the purpose of your visit?" and "When are leaving the United States?" The whole process took about one and a half hours. We got no breakfast or even a coffee, and had to haul our hand luggage along through the line-up.

This was our first cruise, and it's never happened in six others since. However, I won't forget it might happen....

I always get a kick out of the "what was the purpose of your visit" question. Let's see - I was on a cruise - what's your best guess?

Of course, my knee-jerk reaction is thinking "why do you need to know?", even though what they're probably really asking is whether it's business or pleasure.

It was our first cruise. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary by going on a Western Mediterranean cruise. In the port of Liverno, we were going to Florence, but I somehow managed to get us onto the wrong train. We were heading in the wrong direction. We did not get to Florence, a must see for DW who is an art teacher.

Ten years later for our 35th wedding anniversary, we took our 8th cruise, and once again cruised the Western Mediterranean. This time we took no chances. We spent the money for the cruise line's Florence on your own, plus DW prepurchased online timed tickets for the two major museums in Florence. Better late than never!

We almost overslept for an excursion. Somehow, we forgot to put a time on the room service order the night before and put Pm instead of am on the wake up call. We woke up because Mom heard drums on the pier through our balcony. All three of us grown women somehow woke up, got clothes out, got bags ready and got ready in 10 minutes before rushing off the ship. We've now learned to doublecheck times and not set them after a late deck party. It ended up being fine after the first stop on our tour was for coffee and stale candy bars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got norovirus and began getting sick on both ends every 20 minutes on our 12 hour car ride home! Went through every article of clothing, and my poor kids kept saying "it stinks in here."

Another fun story..... Bought a ring in Cozumel for 350.00 and found out when I had it appraised it was barely worth 20 bucks! Even stamped 14K! Expensive life lesson for me..... :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First cruise for our 25th anniversary we get on the ship in Alaska and loving every minute of it for 24 hours. Wake up first full day(Sept 11 2001) turn on T.V. and this nightmare is going on.We did not know what to do (could do nothing) went up to breakfast and we could tell that no one else knew , it was very strange . As we were leaving a lady who did know (I could tell by her face ) says to me ''none of these people know do they ''(I guess she could tell by my face) I just shook my head no and kept walking . I have tried a few times to write about it on this site but it seems trite compared to what others went through.

It is still good that you did write. We all know exactly what we were doing at those moments in time. The memory will never leave us.

It was the morning of our last full day heading back from Bermuda on the Celebrity Zenith...yes, long ago. I just happened to be in the cabin when our house sitter called to say she had to take our dog Molly, who was 7, to the vet as she was not acting right and the vet was keeping her, running tests.

I called the vet and he told me how ill Molly was, an autoimmune disease we never saw coming. That last day and night was so bad, we could not do anything but wish to be home. She waited for us and sadly passed on the day after we returned.

First cruise for our 25th anniversary we get on the ship in Alaska and loving every minute of it for 24 hours. Wake up first full day(Sept 11 2001) turn on T.V. and this nightmare is going on.We did not know what to do (could do nothing) went up to breakfast and we could tell that no one else knew , it was very strange . As we were leaving a lady who did know (I could tell by her face ) says to me ''none of these people know do they ''(I guess she could tell by my face) I just shook my head no and kept walking . I have tried a few times to write about it on this site but it seems trite compared to what others went through.

I understand your sentiment, I remember that morning very clearly. I was upset because our car had been broken into sometime during the night before so my husband and I were both late getting to work. It was so stupid, they didn't even take anything - they broke the window and wrecked the radio trying to get it out and then gave up. Then the news broke and put everything into prospective.

As far as the worst thing happening on a cruise goes, we've been relatively lucky. Our first cruise, DH took a scuba excursion which was delayed coming back and I had a panic attack thinking he'd miss the boat, especially when the idiot at the excursion desk wouldn't tell me if they would wait for his excursion or not. We filed a complaint and they sent us a nice bottle of wine and an apology (he did make it back to ship just before it was scheduled to go). Our latest cruise, DH was sick one day, we think from a scallop ceviche in the dining room the night before, but we didn't complain - we didn't want them to think he had noro and quarantine him as a precaution.

In Feb 2013 we were on the Norwegian Dawn out of Tampa. Ship was delayed due to fog. We spent the entire day in the hotel lobby waiting for word on when we could come to the port. Very long day. Once we finally got to our cabin, at about 8:30 PM my husband realized he had left his wallet in the "doggy" dish while going through. He went right back down but was told it wasn't there. So we started our cruise with half our cash, lost credit cards, lost license. Lucky for us he had cargo shorts on and his passport was in one of those pockets. Of all places to lose a wallet---in port security

The worst was my first cruise 7 day Bahamas cruise ncl jewel from my during spring break(march24-31,2013) and unfortunately for us our spring break was not the usual college spring break date but when all the lil ones were on spring break. But anyways we got to Florida which was our first stop and rented mopeds well I was speeding and didn't see a stop sign so I freaked and hit the brake but also the accelerator so pretty much I ate gravel and started bleeding from pretty much everywhere as I was wearing shorts, and tee shirt but after I cleaned myself up a bit got back on the moped and kept riding lol I know I'm crazy lol on top of that I had to pay for damage to the bike 120 dollars . And I couldn't enjoy the vacation being cut and injured(my arm hurt after falling) and still hurts to this day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The worst thing happened on the second to last night of our cruise we just finished. We had had an awesome night and were heading back to our room from the piano bar. My fiancé hit a wet spot where somebody must have spilled a drink and he went down hard on his bad knee. Fortunately, he didn't break anything, but we needed the help of a staff member to get him up and back to our room. And, no, we didn't go down and demand reparations. Poop happens.

One of my ears plugged up, after snorkeling. Thankfully, after about a week, it did unblock, so I was able to fly home, without any ear issues. Conversation was difficult during meals....I smiled and nodded a lot of the time!

On our second cruise, it rained EVERY day. I don't mean for a little while... enough to keep us from hanging out by the pool!

The worst thing that ever happened to me on a cruise was the time my traveling companion and I were on a tender heading back to the ship when it crashed into some rocks because the tender driver was driving recklessly. We got back to the ship hours after it was supposed to have left. We had no appetite and went to see a show. We got our appetite back after 11:00 PM and went to get pizza, because the daily bulletin said that pizza would be available until 1:00 AM. We got there to find the pizza place shut up tight. At least there was other food available.

The next morning we went to a meeting with the captain, who apologized to us. However, absolutely no compensation was offered to us. I was annoyed, and became really annoyed when another woman at the meeting said, "Well, they did give us free Danish." I said that I could go to the buffet and get all the Danish I wanted. She admitted that that was true.

Several announcements about this were made on the ship, so everyone knew about it. When people asked me what the cruiseline offered as compensation, I said not one penny.

A few days after we got home, the cruiseline called us and gave us enough cruise credit to take a cruise to Bermuda, including port charges and gratuities. It was very nice of them, but I wish they could have said on the cruise that they were going to offer compensation, or else I wouldn't have told everyone that they hadn't offered us even one penny.

The second worst thing was the time my traveling companion went on a shore excursion offered by the cruiseline, and the tour leader deliberately had the bus driver drive us around and around in circles, which meant that we didn't get back to the ship until several hours after the ship was supposed to leave. He kept telling us that the ship would have to wait for us. Yes, the ship waited for us, and I told the officers who were outside, waiting for us and very worried, that the tour leader deliberately made us late. I asked at that time if it ever happened again, was there a phone number so that I could contact the ship. They said no. (I eventually found out here that I could have called the port agent. I'll know next time.) We had barely enough time to eat something at the buffet before seeing the second showing of that night's show. Going to the dining room would have been out of the question.

Where to begin......

A broken big toe

A sprained wrist....not on the same cruise as the toe

Being robbed

Floating in the middle of the ocean because the ship lost it's controls

Missing an excursion because dh read the time wrong

Dh getting sick with chills/fever.

Mom in excruciating pain because of shingles.

Almost throwing up on the captain on the bridge because I got seasick

Almost missing the cruise because the (new) plane lost it's control panel

Dh getting a concussion from hitting his head while diving

Bus breaking down going back to the ship from an excursion and almost missing the ship.

Forgetting my camcorder battery in the hotel...and we weren't making a stop at St.Thomas so I could get another.Had to make due with what I had.

And that's just off the top of my head....

Where to begin......

A broken big toe

A sprained wrist....not on the same cruise as the toe

Being robbed

Floating in the middle of the ocean because the ship lost it's controls

Missing an excursion because dh read the time wrong

Dh getting sick with chills/fever.

Mom in excruciating pain because of shingles.

Almost throwing up on the captain on the bridge because I got seasick

Almost missing the cruise because the (new) plane lost it's control panel

Dh getting a concussion from hitting his head while diving

Bus breaking down going back to the ship from an excursion and almost missing the ship.

Forgetting my camcorder battery in the hotel...and we weren't making a stop at St.Thomas so I could get another.Had to make due with what I had.

And that's just off the top of my head....

OMG! How many cruises have you been on?!?!?!?

I'm curious too know funny or bad things that happened to you on a cruise. For example, missing the ship, norovirus etc.

Cruise #1 on the Disney Wonder. DD who was 4 at the time had her big toe run over by the ramp to the Glass Bottom Boat in Nassau. She cried the whole excursion and ended up losing her big toe nail over it. Later that same night as we were sitting in the theater waiting for Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer the waiter walking in the row behind us tripped and dumped a whole tray of Bahama Mama's on me splattering DD. She was hysterical that her new dress was ruined. I was in a cold shock:eek:. We look back and laugh at that...or I should say my family looks back and laughs at that one :rolleyes:.

Cruise #2 flying down to sail on the Disney Magic. We had a direct flight from Michigan to Orlando. Ended up having to make an emergency landing in Tennessee due to a problem causing a quick drop in latitude. My eyes hurt so bad from the pressure that I had tear just rolling down my face. We were in Tennessee for over 4 hours while they fixed our plane. Luckily we were flying in the day before our cruise.

Cruise #3 drove to Florida with extended family (DM, DSF, 2 DBs) to visit DGM in Palmetto and sail on the Carnival Inspiration. On the way down a fuse blew in DM's car causing their trunk with their luggage and DSF wheel chair not to open. We had to find a dealership in Atlanta to help us out. About 3 hours out of our drive spent waiting to get it fixed. Got to DGM's and one of the DB's and DSF got into a massive argument. Then on the way to the port a cooler flew out of the back of a truck in front of us, went over our minivan and struck DM's car on the drivers side of the front windshield smashing it. Luckily we were close enough to the port so DH took over driving her car slowly to get us there. The parking lot attendants were able to help us get it fixed while we were on our cruise. While on the cruise DSF complained about every single thing. This was our last cruise with extended family. When we got home we found out that DGM ended up in the hospital while we were on the cruise and DF, who was already in the hospital when we left but recovering, ended up getting a staff infection while we were traveling home and was on life support. He ended up passing away 3 days after our return. That was the last time we sailed without travel insurance.

Planned cruise #7 on the Carnival Glory. Drove to NY the day before to find out DGM, who had moved back to Michigan a few years before, passed away while we were driving to NY. Ended up cancelling our cruise, turning around and driving back home. Luckily we had insurance.

Cruise #10 DD who was 16 at the time, had a cold before we left for our 2nd Carnival Freedom Cruise. Even though she took cold medicine before our flight, she had severe ear pain for most of the flight. She ended up feeling miserable for most of cruise and giving the cold to DH and myself. I can't tell you what most of my food tasted like :(.

It's a wonder we love to cruise...but there is nothing is more relaxing to me than the motion and sound of the ocean. 3 weeks and we will be enjoying it again...praying nothing goes wrong like most of our cruises.