Need advice ASAP (please)

Hi,

I posted yesterday about trying to decide on a last minute spring break cruise. We chose RCI over CCL and NCL because I am sailing with our 2 eldest sons alone and my husband wants us to be safe but I need your experience and advice.

Our choices are:

1. Independence of the Seas 4/12 (8 night sailing eastern itinerary)

2. Oasis of the Seas 4/12 sailing (7 night western itinerary)

3. FOS 4/13 sailing (7 night western itinerary)

We are experienced cruisers and have we have sailed on the FOS and done this exact itinerary. But the boys were younger and are now almost 16 and 12.

But I will be honest and say the western itinerary isn't my favorite (for example Jamaica) but we approached this as choosing a safe cruise line, a ship with lots to do for a 12 and 16 year old boys and lastly the ports.

I think most of us that have sailed a lot know these ports so I know the boys like Labadee and Cozumel.

They like St. Martin and walking the old fort in Puerto Rico. They have never been to St. Kitts though I have (on a land vacation) and think it is lovely but need to check out excursions.

The FOS sails out of Port Canaveral so that is a shorter drive from eastern NC. We can drive to FLL though it will be a longer drive if the airfares don't come down some.

I realize the FOS and Indie are pretty much the same. And the Oasis is a sister ship to the Allure.

So lay it on me and if you have experience sailing with a teen and tween on these ships let me know. Also any deck or balcony cabin suggestions at this late date we won't have much choice.

I am looking forward to alone time with my two oldest sons though we will miss our 3 year little man so much ( he was a wonderful late in life surprise)! But also some alone time reading too. This trip is to celebrate my eldest son turning 16 and also a early birthday gift for our 12 year olds birthday in May.

Thank you in advance for your patience with this confusing post and your advice.

TA

For my boys, it's about the ship, and then it's Oasis/Allure or bust!

I personally really like Independence of the Seas' 8-night itinerary and, in fact, will be sailing on her in three weeks, but with boys in tow, I'd be more likely to want to choose Oasis of the Seas because there's so much more to do onboard.

All three of your proposed cruises include Labadee, which is a great beach day, so no difference there.

Do St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, and St. Kitts have enough of a draw to consider the 8-night cruise? Not for my boys. They don't care so much about what ports they go to. Like I said, it's about the ship for them.

We chose RCI over CCL and NCL because I am sailing with our 2 eldest sons alone and my husband wants us to be safe

Curious what you mean by this, you mentioned "safety" twice. Has there been a wave of onboard violence on Carnival and NCL of late??

Based on what you've said: Since you're not excited about Western, and ports for Allure/Oasis aren't great for the most part, I'd choose the 8 night eastern on Independence. Of course we're port people. If the ship is the focus, Oasis is the obvious choice.

Edited by bouhunter

Hi,

I posted yesterday about trying to decide on a last minute spring break cruise. We chose RCI over CCL and NCL because I am sailing with our 2 eldest sons alone and my husband wants us to be safe but I need your experience and advice.

Huh?

First off I didn't mean to offend anyone and in retro spect I shouldn't have shared that comment about safety.

We have sailed on Carnival a lot and our last 2 cruises have been on Carnival. We just sailed on the new CCL Breeze in October. We choose the cruise for the ports (Antigua, Tortola BVI, St. Thomas etc.). And in fact had done the same exact itinerary on the CCL Valor the year prior.

There are NO safety concerns and I am NOT trying to start rumors or one cruise line against another. We have sailed on CCL, Disney, Princess and RCI. I honestly don't favor one over the other.

I believe what my husband was referring to was the ships environment and activities. And choosing a cruise that will keep the boys occupied and give me the rare moment to read or have my own thought (lol). I also think my husband made that comment to justify the expense (lol) which is very sweet but he can't cruise with us but wants us to go and have a good time.

I can remove that sentence if you all wish because as I said it did not come out as I intended and I am making a muddle of explaining it.

But for those of you who will forgive my faux pas I appreciate it.

Back to your comments. The ironic thing is I would like to choose the Oasis. The itinerary though western seems much more laid back to me. And we haven't had the chance to sail on this class of ship.

It is the boys who ranked their first choice as Independence of the Seas. When I questioned them my 12 year likes the ports and my 15 year says he likes a YouTube video he saw : - () and they both like having the extra night at sea.

So, obviously I am paying so I get to pick. But if you would keep the comments coming. I just sent them back to look up the Oasis again. As I said we haven't sailed on this class have seen the Allure in port and it was a sight to behold.

I am leaning toward the Oasis now based on your comments. Plus we arrive back on a Saturday which gives us the day to drive home (830 miles) if I can't find decent air fare. And we would be home for Easter. I would hate to miss our 3 years Easter and church.

Ahhhhh.........so confused.

Edited by gamecockinnc

I'm also confused about the safety thing. Are you asking if one ship would be more safe than the others? Or maybe one itinerary would be more safe? Not sure why RCCL would be different in safety than CCL or NCL.

I would just do the itinerary you like. While there may be more to do on board Oasis, there is still plenty for teens on Freedom. I assume Independence would be similar. We sailed last year on Freedom with kids who were 15 and 12 and are going back again this year. Both were quite happy with the ship.

You don't mention money so does that mean the pricing is so close that it doesn't matter? We have not considered Oasis/Allure just because of the cost.

I'm also trying to decide between Oasis and Indy...and been on FOS. One thing to point out that you haven't...and may not make any difference to you. Indy will be cheaper AND one extra day at sea. Always nice to go to a new port as well.

I have been on 51 cruises so far (I am 50) and itinerary is not an issue when I choose a ship but what is most important is the cruise line and the ship. My main cruise each year I like it to be a very good ship mainly a RC cruise. Last year we went back to NCL Breakaway a brand new ship it had the most "negatives" out of any ship I ever been on, we don't want to go back to NCL. You made the right decision not going NCL...Carnival we use as a getaway trip its generally not our main cruise each year but we do cruise Carnival for a quick getaway as the Fascination is just half hour away from where we live and its a 5 night cruise which is great for an additional cruise each year for us. I would only recommend the Breeze or the Dream if it will be your only cruise that you go on within a years time.

RC we love and is our favorite cruise line. If your looking for very good shows, entertainment, lots of things for the kids to do then choose RC which you are. I would not make the ports a priority since your only there for a few hours, its the ship that is most important. I guess you would need to consider the cost/distance/travel issue and then there is the price. Any of the RC ships you won't go wrong. The Allure offers so much more but if your the type to keep a close watch on your youngest, maybe the Indy be best?

its the ship that is most important.

That's your opinion. The OP clearly indicated that ports are part of the decision, as do many people. Not everyone cruises just for the ship. When we cruise in a few weeks we'll be in port all day 5 out of 6 days, that's more than just a "few hours".....

Edited by bouhunter

The price is pretty much the same with ship board credits factored in. Though the FOS is about $325 than the other two. Though it sails out of Port Canaveral and is 169 miles closer than Port Everglades.

The boys like the IOS. I asked family members who have been on both and they like FOS or IOS.

So I think it will come down to the location of a balcony cabin. And if they want the IOS then that is their choice and I will respect it. I guess I was just surprised for 3 years they have expressed a desire to go on the Allure/Oasis.

Though I am still collecting advice!!! And a big huge thank you for all of your advice and input.

Ps: to the one poster than asked about my "safety comment". If you check I explained or tried to explain that comment and wish I had never said it. It is not how I feel.

First off thank you for everyone who took the time to comment. I did book the Independence of the Seas. I can admit to you all that I think I wanted to check out the Oasis Class but the boys were consistent in ranking the Independence as their first choice. And since we have sailed on the FOS and the Independence is a sister ship and they really liked the eastern itinerary we are booked on the Independence.

I did spend a tiny bit more to get on deck 9 as deck 6 was open and only a handful of cabins on deck 7 that were connecting cabins or outside of the elevators.

Thank you again for your input.

TA

While it seems counter-intuitive, my son (20 now, but a teen on previous cruises) prefers SMALLER ships. He also prefers a more port-intensive itinerary. He doesn't really care that much about the "WOW" features on board. He's more interested in the "WOW" features in port.

I'm only saying that assuming teens would prefer the bigger ship isn't necessarily accurate.

#2 or 3.

If never been on Oasis, you have to try it once. Plus lots to do, plenty of space at pool (Not true with the other two on sea days). Ship never felt really crowded except for delays in early debarking at port or on promanade during a large event/street party.