How do I get Curacao home if flying?

Djford75

We are cruising to Curacao in May and would like to bring some home with us and I do not want to pack it in a suitcase.

How can I get it home? Not sure about costs of shipping it that far.

Where is home?

From which port are u sailing?

Prolly makes a difference.

We are cruising to Curacao in May and would like to bring some home with us and I do not want to pack it in a suitcase.

How can I get it home? Not sure about costs of shipping it that far.

I think you will find it is safer in your luggage than it would be if shipped by courier. A lot cheaper too, even if you pay for an extra bag......shipping could be $75+ between Curacao and New York.

ok, I read this 5 times and still dont get it.

you want to bring some Curacao home with you? I dont think the island will fit in your luggage...

maybe I am reading it wrong. :confused:

There is a liquer made in Curacao. I think the OP wants to bring that liquer home but doesn't want to put it in luggage.

To OP: We've brought home a bottle of that liquer and we wrapped it securely in our dirty clothes and included it in our checked bag on the flight home. No problem. Next time I'd take some bubble wrap with me.

If you are bringing just one bottle, wrap it well and pack it in your checked baggage. For several bottles, have it put in a box with a lot of padding, then after disembarking have your taxi stop at a UPS store on way to the airport and drop it off to be shipped to your home address - you will find their charges less than the airline's. You will need to do some homework so you can give the taxi the address of the UPS store.

Best solution: buy it at your local liquor store after you get home.

You could take some bubble wrap. They make padded wine holders which a bottle might fit into which could be packed in your suitcase.

Some of the store will offer package deals & send it to you. We were in Italy & got 6 bottles of Limoncello which they packed & shipped to us. And yes to everyone I could buy some here in the States, but it doesn't have the same taste.

Come to think of it my dh got 6 bottles of wine in CA which they packed in a styrofoam 6 pack & he just had that as his checked luggage. They might make singles which would fit inside a suitcase.

As far as shipping, much depends on what state you live in. Some states are 100% no-ship states NH is one, there are others), some require shipping to a licensed establishment (PA comes to mind) while others require shipping to a business address. TX is one that absolutely will seize and destroy alcohol shipments. Best bet is to bring it back yourself in a styropack shipping box as checked luggage. Declare it, pay the duty if required, and be done with it.

Honest question..........doesn't all Curacao liquor come from Curacao?

It may or may not, the Genuine Curaçao brand is made there. But I'm not sure if the liqueur just needs to be made with the special oranges to be called Curaçao or actually made there.

For Example a sparkling wine made in France with certain grapes is the only thing which can officially be called "champagne" anything made elsewhere can only be labeled "sparkling wine"

Part of the reason we bring back different alcohols is because you can't get them in the states. Yes they might sell curaçao here, but I might find a different or unique flavor which I can't find here. Another thing is just because I can get it here it may taste different. This happens a lot, formulas are slightly changed. I know this will happen with whiskys, they might be blended when I buy them here, but wouldn't be if I buy it in Scotland.

Lastly I like to buy bottles from local merchants since they are actually getting all the $ as opposed to having an importer take out part of their profits.

Hopefully I didn't get too alcohol snob, I just find the process fascinating so I've taken classes on different types of alcohols (wine, beer, whisky (yes without an 'e') etc)

Edited by hansolosmom

We flew home with two bottles (not Curacao, but bottles purchased onboard) last October and Carnival boxes them nicely. Then DH used twelve rolls of duct tape and all of our dirty clothes to create a cushion for the box deep in our checked luggage. The Dick's rum from Grand Cayman we've flown with too, again packed deep within our checked luggage. See if you can find it boxed, or if you can find or buy a Carnival box - it does seem to add some extra padding and stability.

DH probably only used a few swipes of the small amount of shipping tape we always pack but it felt like it was twelve rolls! It was a very sturdy bundle! :D

Curacao liqueurs are not very special and not very expensive - except if you buy them on the island of Curacao, where they are more expensive.

In many places in America you can buy the very same Curacao Liqueurs for less money. When you get them home, they will taste exactly the same as the over-priced bottles you can buy in Curacao. And you will not have any hassles with packing them in a suitcase or paying import duty for bringing them into your country.

I think it depends on the size of the bottles. When I was on my last cruise, I purchased 3 small bottles of Curacao as a gift for my parents. They were under the TSA limits so, I simply put them in a zip lock bag and brought them with me on the plane in my carry-on bag. No problems at all.

We assume you are aware that Curacao Liquor is widely available throughout the US. But if you still want to buy a bottle in the islands you must pack it in your checked luggage before going through airport security. It is that simple. If you do not want to pack it then you must ship it via (UPS or FedEx) since there are restrictions on shipping booze through the US Mail. And by the way, the cost of the bottle plus shipping in the US will most likely cost you a lot more then just going to your local booze store and buying a bottle.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There are equally as many restrictions in shipping alcohol FedEx or UPS. Neither will accept the shipment unless the shipper is licensed to ship alcohol. That goes by any location and to any state. If I want to send alcohol to a friend or home to myself, I have to either use a FedEx or UPS location with the proper permit (few have them outside the major wine regions in CA) or take it to a local wine shop and ask them to do me a favor and process the shipment for me.

Edited by ducklite

It may or may not, the Genuine Curaçao brand is made there. But I'm not sure if the liqueur just needs to be made with the special oranges to be called Curaçao or actually made there.

For Example a sparkling wine made in France with certain grapes is the only thing which can officially be called "champagne" anything made elsewhere can only be labeled "sparkling wine"

Part of the reason we bring back different alcohols is because you can't get them in the states. Yes they might sell curaçao here, but I might find a different or unique flavor which I can't find here. Another thing is just because I can get it here it may taste different. This happens a lot, formulas are slightly changed. I know this will happen with whiskys, they might be blended when I buy them here, but wouldn't be if I buy it in Scotland.

Lastly I like to buy bottles from local merchants since they are actually getting all the $ as opposed to having an importer take out part of their profits.

Hopefully I didn't get too alcohol snob, I just find the process fascinating so I've taken classes on different types of alcohols (wine, beer, whisky (yes without an 'e') etc)

Thank you for the lesson! I learn something new every day. LOL :)