Celebrity Captain's Club changes

secretbeach

Has anyone else noticed that it now takes way more cruises to move up a level in Celebrity since they introduced new regulations last Fall? We were on our way to moving up a level in 3 cruises. We had booked 4 new cruises to enjoy being elite on the 4th. Then we were hit with the new Captain's Club regulations. We estimate it will take another 8 - 10 cruises to move up instead of 3. We couldn't cancel our April & May cruises this year but we will cancel our two 2015 cruises and won't sail Celebrity again. We feel they really have treated their existing members badly. They should have instigated changed regulations for new members and left the old levels in place for their existing members. They are not the only cruiseline in the water and we will choose Princess from now on.

Has anyone else noticed that it now takes way more cruises to move up a level in Celebrity since they introduced new regulations last Fall? We were on our way to moving up a level in 3 cruises. We had booked 4 new cruises to enjoy being elite on the 4th. Then we were hit with the new Captain's Club regulations. We estimate it will take another 8 - 10 cruises to move up instead of 3. We couldn't cancel our April & May cruises this year but we will cancel our two 2015 cruises and won't sail Celebrity again. We feel they really have treated their existing members badly. They should have instigated changed regulations for new members and left the old levels in place for their existing members. They are not the only cruiseline in the water and we will choose Princess from now on.
Thanks for letting us know your feelings. Enjoy your future cruises.

I'm surprised you would cancel cruises and not cruise again with a line just because they change the policy for the FREE perks they offer :rolleyes:

It's your loss, enjoy Princess. ;)

Hi Secretbeach,

First off - welcome to Cruise Critic !

There are numerous threads on this forum, from folks who are unhappy with the formula Celebrity used when converting to the points system. While I feel that Celebrity did a fine job with the new perks - especially for Zenith members, which is the new Gold standard in cruise line benefits !, there are many others who (like yourself) are quite unhappy about how Celebrity calculated the points.

I can tell you that in our case, we feel that we definitely got the short end of the stick on the conversion, and it seems that those who sailed a large quantity of short sailings benefitted over those who opted for longer sailings, as we did. If I only knew then, what we knew now, We'd be Zenith for sure ! :) Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Although there was a fair amount of initial disappointment, I'm pretty much over it, and will make the best of it. We'll probably get to Zenith at some point. If I had ONE wish ? It would be that Celebrity revisits how they calculated the conversion, and perhaps issue "Bonus" Points to those who frequently sailed longer cruises. However, I think the odds of that happening, is about the same as my chances of my beloved Mets winning the world series this year - which means - about slim to none :)

I know my insights wont make you feel any better, but I sure wouldnt switch to another cruise line, simply due to your situation. I'm in the same boat, but I'd never consider abandoning Celebrity. What I seek the most, is a great cruise experience, and Celebrity offers this.... so you are only penalizing yourself if you sail elsewhere. For that reason, I hope you reconsider. All the best to you !

Edited by Host Andy

They certainly did make it harder to reach the next level. This was something that many Elite's thought should be done and were vocal on this site as well as with Celebrity. They complained that it was too easy to become Elite and that the Elite functions were too crowded.

Sorry you won't sail Celebrity, but we all have our priorities as to why we do things. Enjoy all your future cruises no matter which cruise line or ship you choose.

BTW, I'm one of the ones who was not Elite and didn't really benefit from the changes. I'm Select with one cruise away and with the change, I'm still Select with one cruise away (after changing an existing booking and paying much more), but am very happy with the changes, as are many, many of Celebrity's customers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Celebrity had by far the easiest system to get to the top tier of any other cruise line. Period.

We were Select in no time and Elite with just a handful of cruises. Extra points for Concierge class or higher, 2 week cruises, etc). Then all of a sudden, everyone was ELITE and I heard that some transatlantic cruises had several hundred people for the free cocktail hour. Michaels Club has a capacity of maybe 50, and a comfortable capacity well below that. There was no more "elite" if everyone was elite.

Celebrity had to do something, as it was untenable.

I was very happy with all of the benefits we got from their program, and I think as long time cruisers, we got several additional perks over the years including several invites to the Captains table, bridge tours, etc.

I have no complaints whatsoever. Celebrity is now coping with trying to redefine that system, which in my estimation, was a bit too good to be true.

Anyone here agree? :confused:

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with how it all worked out for you. We have also sailed Princess in the past, and enjoyed it, but not as much as Celebrity. And I can tell you that even with several Princess cruises under our belts, including longer cruises and one in the largest suite on board, we are still not even at the equivalent of what is the Select level on Celebrity. Unless you already have significant status with Princess you may want to research how many cruises on their line it would take to attain the status you seek.

I'm surprised you would cancel cruises and not cruise again with a line just because they change the policy for the FREE perks they offer :rolleyes:

It's your loss, enjoy Princess. ;)

It's the "cutting your nose off to spite your face" mentality. Too bad for Princess. They will find something there to complain about soon enough.

Edited by boogs

We are happy with Celebrity because they have an excellent product, without any perks and it pleases us every time we sail. We will never reach Zenith but we are not worried. I am sorry the OP is so turned off that they will never sail with Celebrity again.

Hi Secretbeach,

First off - welcome to Cruise Critic !

There are numerous threads on this forum, from folks who are unhappy with the formula Celebrity used when converting to the points system. While I feel that Celebrity did a fine job with the new perks - especially for Zenith members, which is the new Gold standard in cruise line benefits !, there are many others who (like yourself) are quite unhappy about how Celebrity calculated the points.

I can tell you that in our case, we feel that we definitely got the short end of the stick on the conversion, and it seems that those who sailed a large quantity of short sailings benefitted over those who opted for longer sailings, as we did. If I only knew then, what we knew now, We'd be Zenith for sure ! :) Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Although there was a fair amount of initial disappointment, I'm pretty much over it, and will make the best of it. We'll probably get to Zenith at some point. If I had ONE wish ? It would be that Celebrity revisits how they calculated the conversion, and perhaps issue "Bonus" Points to those who frequently sailed longer cruises. However, I think the odds of that happening, is about the same as my chances of my beloved Mets winning the world series this year - which means - about slim to none :)

I know my insights wont make you feel any better, but I sure wouldnt switch to another cruise line, simply due to your situation. I'm in the same boat, but I'd never consider abandoning Celebrity. What I seek the most, is a great cruise experience, and Celebrity offers this.... so you are only penalizing yourself if you sail elsewhere. For that reason, I hope you reconsider. All the best to you !

Host Andy, thanks for injecting some welcomed sanity in yet another points complaint thread. My wife and I have only taken 12 night or longer cruises and with four cruises behind us, we still aren't at Elite. We had only accumulated 8 points (1 short of Elite), which were converted to 265 credits with the generous bonus points Celebrity gave those of us who were so very close. If we had taken only short cruises instead we could have gotten to Elite in only 27 days of cruising, instead of still being "stuck" in Select with over 48 days (almost twice the number of nights). How was that fair? It wasn't. The new system is much better for those of us who like those longer cruises, without penalizing those who prefer the shorter cruises. It's about as fair as it gets. Life is good.

Edited by boogs

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with how it all worked out for you. We have also sailed Princess in the past' date=' and enjoyed it, but not as much as Celebrity. And I can tell you that even with several Princess cruises under our belts, including longer cruises and one in the largest suite on board, we are still not even at the equivalent of what is the Select level on Celebrity. Unless you already have significant status with Princess you may want to research how many cruises on their line it would take to attain the status you seek.[/quote']

We are elite with Princess. It has always been our #1 choice of cruiseline. Celebrity was a back up for convenience. Glad you enjoy Celebrity but Princess will remain our first choice. Celebrity will no longer make it into our top 10 after their Captain's Club debacle.

We are elite with Princess. It has always been our #1 choice of cruiseline. Celebrity was a back up for convenience. Glad you enjoy Celebrity but Princess will remain our first choice. Celebrity will no longer make it into our top 10 after their Captain's Club debacle.

So you were not loyal to Celebrity since they were clearly #2 on your list but you expected them to be loyal to you! LOL.... It's a two way street.:rolleyes:

If I had known the conversion would really be here and what it would be, would I have scheduled shorter cruises or b2bs? Yes I would have because I can be a little unreasonable that way. Lol

Princess for awhile also had many higher status customers who got there on one or two day cruises. I also found it annoying and never developed loyalty there.

So I can relate a little bit.

I predict free internet will be easier and easier to get. That was always our highest cost due to work demands.

I think unless you are Zenith level most of us are going to feel we may have been shaved points a bit. Prior to 2004 I took many cruises with X and booked suites for my mother who was ill and sometimes needed assistance. Whether it be the extra room to fit a wheelchair if she needed it or the butler to get her something if I was elsewhere on the ship the suites made life easier. I did not get extra credit for those suites in the prior years so they may as well been inside cabins. I did not book the rooms for "points or perks". I booked them to have the most amazing vacation and time with my mom. Celebrity never disappointed either one of us and I wouldn't change a thing. The way I look at it now (took me awhile to understand the conversion) is instead of being at the top level Elite every time any of us cruise we are getting closer to Zenith.

It's nice to have goals in life!:D

I think unless you are Zenith level most of us are going to feel we may have been shaved points a bit. Prior to 2004 I took many cruises with X and booked suites for my mother who was ill and sometimes needed assistance. Whether it be the extra room to fit a wheelchair if she needed it or the butler to get her something if I was elsewhere on the ship the suites made life easier. I did not get extra credit for those suites in the prior years so they may as well been inside cabins. I did not book the rooms for "points or perks". I booked them to have the most amazing vacation and time with my mom. Celebrity never disappointed either one of us and I wouldn't change a thing. The way I look at it now (took me awhile to understand the conversion) is instead of being at the top level Elite every time any of us cruise we are getting closer to Zenith.

It's nice to have goals in life!:D

What a great attitude! Hopefully, one day I can meet you in person; I love people who put a positive spin on things.

Nancy

Never had a complaint about Princess. They know how to treat their passengers well. Been elite for years. Celebrity could take a page out of Princess' customer service manual for sure. And please don't launch personal attacks when someone is expressing a genuine opinion about a cruiseline. We don't need that sort of petty response on this site. Try to keep your comments constructive. I notice you are missing your own nose - evidently not spite but undoubtably sticking it in where it's not wanted.

You are in luck. Good friends of ours, who have turned us on to cruising and have been rabid Princess fans for many years, have taken three Celebrity cruises with us so far (with another one in a few months) and have now switched sides. They took another cruise this past summer on Princess and won't go back again. According to them, Celebrity has tastier food, nicer cabins, and better ships. I think it's awfully nice of them to move UP to Celebrity so you have more room to move back DOWN to Princess.

By the way - they think the Celebrity perks are much better than Princess, where they were Platinum level before they switched. And these are people who thought they liked Princess until they tried Celebrity.

But, if you would rather go back to a cruise line with a loyalty program that is inferior to Celebrity's to prove your point, knock yourselves out. You'll really teach Celebrity a lesson! You are giving up a better product, with a better loyalty program, just so you can tell Celebrity to "show it". Real smart move. :rolleyes:

Nancy I will be on Equinox in March working on adding some points to my goal. Celebrity has given me so many wonderful memories over the years that unless they tell me the only perk I get is walking the plank or water skiing off the back I will not change my loyalty. For me it is about the fun and laughter, the fabulous people I have met through the roll calls, the places we have been and the fact that we have not even begun to cruise!:D

They certainly did make it harder to reach the next level. This was something that many Elite's thought should be done and were vocal on this site as well as with Celebrity. They complained that it was too easy to become Elite and that the Elite functions were too crowded.

Which is quite amusing.

Those who already have the status, then want to make it harder for others to get that status...

Why would someone spend thousands of dollars on four cruises to get a couple free cocktails ?

Which is quite amusing.

Those who already have the status, then want to make it harder for others to get that status...

Go back and look over some of the threads, many were very vocal about wanting it to be harder for us to become Elite ...they said, there were too many Elites already that it was too crowded at the events and it was too easy for us to make elite (even though many made Elite under the same program and short cruises). They got what they wanted, but Celebrity also made it harder for them to make the next new levels as well. So, it worked out the same for everyone. At least Celebrity put everyone in the same position of having to cruise more to get to the next level.

You must take short cruises.