Verizon Cell Phones on the ship

mompells

What is the best thing to do with cell phones on the ship and in port? We want to be able to use our iphones to take pictures. We want to be able to text each other. NOt sure about any of this......I'll take any advice that anyone is willing to offer!

We use a "real pocket sized" Sony Cyber-shot camera for pics.

We leave our phones turned off in the safe otherwise.

BUT ... if you're going to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, your Verizon phone will work just like it does in the continental US as they are both US Territories. It's possible to call home or call each other for no more than it would cost at home in the US.:)

What is the best thing to do with cell phones on the ship and in port? We want to be able to use our iphones to take pictures. We want to be able to text each other. NOt sure about any of this......I'll take any advice that anyone is willing to offer!

Be sure to turn off data so you won't get any unexpected charges. You pay per text sent/received as mentioned above. Note also that if you answer any incoming calls, you would pay $2.49 per minute.

Yes, make sure the phone is on airplane mode! Even if you're not making calls or texting, the phone continues to transmit data and you may come home to a hefty international roaming charge. There are a couple of horror stories from people who forgot to do so, some hit with bills in the thousands! :eek:

Personally, we turn our cellphones off completely and put them in the safe until we return. We use our real camera to take pictures. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, make sure the phone is on airplane mode! Even if you're not making calls or texting, the phone continues to transmit data and you may come home to a hefty international roaming charge. There are a couple of horror stories from people who forgot to do so, some hit with bills in the thousands! :eek:

Personally, we turn our cellphones off completely and put them in the safe until we return. We use our real camera to take pictures. :)

The OP wants to text, which would not be possible in airplane mode.

The OP wants to text, which would not be possible in airplane mode.

I should've worded my reply a bit differently. :o. While plain texts may go through on smartphones that allow data to be turned off separate from a cellular signal, MMS texts will require data to be turned on in order to go through. These type of texts will be charged at a higher amount because of the data usage. Since the OP mentioned their desire to use the phone to take pics and to text, that means that they will need data turned on if they want to send an MMS text. That's why I recommended not using the phone to text at all and keeping it in airplane mode. Unless the OP is actively turning the smartphone's data on and off between this type of texts, they will continue transmitting (and being charged for data) even when the phone is just in their pocket, unused.

Alternatively, if the OP has an iPhone, they can send an receive iMessages free of charge if they can find a place with a free wifi connection on land. This is how I normally text and FaceTime with my family when I'm traveling internationally for work.

We use a "real pocket sized" Sony Cyber-shot camera for pics.

We leave our phones turned off in the safe otherwise.

BUT ... if you're going to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, your Verizon phone will work just like it does in the continental US as they are both US Territories. It's possible to call home or call each other for no more than it would cost at home in the US.:)

I know AT&T Plan has service in the US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico but I don't think Verizon does. I could be wrong but I was told that at a Verizon Store. It also does not show on The Verizon Coverage map. Like I said I could be wrong but that is what I was told.

I know AT&T Plan has service in the US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico but I don't think Verizon does. I could be wrong but I was told that at a Verizon Store. It also does not show on The Verizon Coverage map. Like I said I could be wrong but that is what I was told.

We were able to use our Verizon cell phones in San Juan recently to call home without any roaming or additional charges. Our Verizon phone display read "Extended Network" while in Puerto Rico.

We were able to use our Verizon cell phones in San Juan recently to call home without any roaming or additional charges. Our Verizon phone display read "Extended Network" while in Puerto Rico.

Like I said I could be wrong. We were looking to possibly change our service and the rep told us that we would be roaming there.

When I travel with my Verizon phone I usual enable international data. This works on the ship and in most ports. Verizon is one of the few providers that offer a very reasonable rate for data. on the ship and in most ports its 25$ per 100MB if you turn the plan on . This would allow you to Imessage others as it uses data. you can get all the info here.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

I personally have not used more than 100MB on a trip as I just hop online to get an email or 2 and chat with the people back on land for a bit each day .

The Verizon signal in Puerto Rico is provided by local company Claro. In fact, Verizon used to have offices in Puerto Rico before they reached an agreement with Claro and they took over former Verizon customers in Puerto Rico. Claro uses the same network formerly used by Verizon so service is very good throughout the entire island.

As mentioned above, your phone will read Extended Network, but your phone will work just like on the regular Verizon network in the US mainland without any roaming charges.

Question - even with Verizon international plan .. if you make a call from the ship it goes thru the ship's network and you are charged the $2.49/min .. correct?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

RCI's Cellular at Sea provides the connection, but you are not charged by Royal to use your cell. Your carrier is the only entity to charge you for using your cell on the ship, and that can vary depending on what carrier plan you sign up for.

WIFI use is charged for by Royal.

Question - even with Verizon international plan .. if you make a call from the ship it goes thru the ship's network and you are charged the $2.49/min .. correct?

I've looked at the Verizon web site, and it seems that you are correct, the voice charge from the ship is $2.49 per minute, even with a plan.

I've looked at the Verizon web site, and it seems that you are correct, the voice charge from the ship is $2.49 per minute, even with a plan.

Thanks .. that is what I thought .. so would still only call from land. Thank goodness my work iPhone is AT&T international :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It worked for me in November when we were in San Juan:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I travel with my Verizon phone I usual enable international data. This works on the ship and in most ports. Verizon is one of the few providers that offer a very reasonable rate for data. on the ship and in most ports its 25$ per 100MB if you turn the plan on . This would allow you to Imessage others as it uses data. you can get all the info here.

Code:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.htmlI personally have not used more than 100MB on a trip as I just hop online to get an email or 2 and chat with the people back on land for a bit each day .

If I do this International Data enabling, do I, or can I leave my phone on "normally"? Or do I need to have it on airpane mode or off? Does doing this International enabling allow me to keep the phone on to use my Iphone to take pictures?

Edited by mompells

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

I personally have not used more than 100MB on a trip as I just hop online to get an email or 2 and chat with the people back on land for a bit each day .

This.

We have Verizon and I always enable the international data feature when going on cruises. Like mentioned above, you get a 100MB allowance which should be more than enough for email. You can also send and receive text messages via email. You just have to know the email address. For Verizon it is <phone#>@vtext.com

Just be sure to turn off all automatic sync options (weather, facebook, etc...) in settings so that your phone does not use data automatically.

I, too, recently used my Verizon phone in San Juan with no charge.

I went to my verizon store and asked them about using my phone in St. Thomas. They told me I could text all I wanted but not picture text. Also I can us my data plan. However, it would cost extra to make a phone call. So I downloaded the viber app. It makes calls using your data plan.