Baltic Cruise recommendation

jiminyC_fan

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong location to post this.

I am just starting to look at booking a Baltic cruise. I don't know what cruiselines do it. I heard that maybe Princess and Royal Caribbean? I have cruised in Alaska and I know it makes a difference which line you choose for the better itineraries like for instance Glacier Bay. Not all lines go there.

I was really interested in the Viking ship but it is booked until 2016.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong location to post this.

I am just starting to look at booking a Baltic cruise. I don't know what cruiselines do it. I heard that maybe Princess and Royal Caribbean? I have cruised in Alaska and I know it makes a difference which line you choose for the better itineraries like for instance Glacier Bay. Not all lines go there.

I was really interested in the Viking ship but it is booked until 2016.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Hi neighbor! I see that you live close to me.

You have lots of choices. :) I have cruised the Baltics on both the Celebrity Constellation (last year) and Norwegian Cruise Lines (2011). Of both cruise lines, I preferred Celebrity.

The following ships cruise the Baltics:

Celebrity Constellation

Celebrity Eclipse

Royal Caribbean - Legend of the Seas

Royal Caribbean - Brilliance of the Seas

Royal Caribbean - Adventure of the Seas

Holland America - Ryndam

Holland America - Prisendam

Holland America - Eurodam

Holland America - Rotterdam VI

Norwegian - Star

Princess - Royal Princess

Princess - Ocean Princess

Oceania - Marina

Oceania - Nautica

There are many smaller cruise ships that port in St. Petersburg as well as the ones listed above.

I would recommend that your cruise has a minimum of 2 days in St. Petersburg (3 is even better). :D

If I can answer any questions about NCL or Celebrity, you can email me (email address in included in my signature at the bottom of this post).

Edited by dogs4fun

We did a Baltic cruise on Celebrity about 5/6 years back which we loved, looking to go again with the extended family June 2015. RCL has a 11 night itinerary out of Copenhagen on the Serenade with 3 days in St. Petersburg, am really tempted by it. Celebrity has a new 11 night sailing out of Stockholm on the Silhouette which also looks good.

There are many smaller cruise ships that port in St. Petersburg as well as the ones listed above. I would recommend that your cruise has a minimum of 2 days in St. Petersburg (3 is even better).

Excellent above points by dogs4fun. Lots of cruise options in the wonderful Baltics. There are several key questions to consider, including whether to pick a cruise with two or three days in St. Petersburg. In late July 2008, we did three days in St. Petersburg, which allow more flexibility, including doing a day-trip trip to Moscow, plus having an excellent private tour/guide for the four of us in doing St. Petersburg in the remaining two days there. Many of the ships that do three days there, however, might cost more for your budget.

The other big "variable" is where your Baltics cruise starts and finishes. Ours started in Dover, England and finished in Stockholm. That allowed pre- and post-cruise time in these two great, different areas. If you sail from and return to Amsterdam, that takes extra time to get from that Dutch area to the Baltics and back. We also super loved Copenhagen as a starting and return port. Super, wonderful town with such character and charm.

The Baltics are not cheap for many different reasons, including its short sailing season and the costs in many of the key ports. BUT, the prize is well worth it, especially with superstar St. Petersburg.

Below are a few of my "eye candy" visuals to help build the excitement for this "adventure" and highlight a few of the must-sees in these great areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 37,576 views for this fun posting.

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key highlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. And it’s free! No charge or tickets required.:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.: : [/b]

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Wow, thanks everyone. Ports are definitely important. I really would like one out of England because we have a friend there that I want to visit. We've been to Amsterdam (loved it) on a 15 day Viking River Cruise so we really don't need to do that. On that cruise we saw many glorious churches and palaces. My husband doesn't want that to be a priority. I'm thinking maybe more fjords and scenery intense. I'm 50% Norwegian and 50% Swedish so I am really interested in those two countries for sure.

JiminyC

Have a look at Fred Olsen. They are a Norwegian company, but cater mainly for the British market. We did a fantastic Baltic cruise with them last September, but they offer a few different itineraries. We departed from Southampton.

Their ships tend to be smallish, which we prefer and are often in port when the big cruise ships are not, which makes sightseeing easier.

JiminyC

Have a look at Fred Olsen. They are a Norwegian company, but cater mainly for the British market. We did a fantastic Baltic cruise with them last September, but they offer a few different itineraries. We departed from Southampton.

Their ships tend to be smallish, which we prefer and are often in port when the big cruise ships are not, which makes sightseeing easier.

Thank you very much. I will definitely check it out. We fell in love with the smaller ships when we were on the Viking Longships. They hold a little over 150.

Yes buggins 0402, the 2015 sailings are listed in a sticky on the Celebrity board, though they still don't show up on Celebrity's website, haven't been able to get any prices either. Next year Silhouette is doing the Baltic route out of Amsterdam instead of the Connie, with the May 28 sailing out of Stockholm which I'm looking at. Guess we'll need to wait till Match 10 for pricing...:)

Yes buggins 0402, the 2015 sailings are listed in a sticky on the Celebrity board, though they still don't show up on Celebrity's website, haven't been able to get any prices either. Next year Silhouette is doing the Baltic route out of Amsterdam instead of the Connie, with the May 28 sailing out of Stockholm which I'm looking at. Guess we'll need to wait till Match 10 for pricing...:)

After you mentioned this I hunted around and found Andy's sticky. Silhouette is a "big girl". Wonder which port she'd use for Stockholm?

Wow, thanks everyone. Ports are definitely important. I really would like one out of England because we have a friend there that I want to visit. We've been to Amsterdam (loved it) on a 15 day Viking River Cruise so we really don't need to do that. On that cruise we saw many glorious churches and palaces. My husband doesn't want that to be a priority. I'm thinking maybe more fjords and scenery intense. I'm 50% Norwegian and 50% Swedish so I am really interested in those two countries for sure.

You definitely want to take a Norway cruise, not one that goes to St. Petersburg Russia then. Because SPB, is 90% looking at churches and palaces for two days!

Lots of good info here.

I am looking at a Baltic and a Fjord cruise. Can anyone address the weather and if tourist sites are open in the early spring? I am currently looking a an RCL B2B 7 NT Norwegian Fjord Cruise and 7 NT Scandinavia & Russia Cruise. I can either sail May 9-23 or August 15 - 22. I have not looked at Celebrity yet. I'd prefer to stick with RCL/Celebrity because we are diamond members.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'm doing Baltic out of CPH in May on Princess. perhaps a travel agent would be the best person to tell you your choices out of England. one thing I wish I had known about was the my boat is too large to dock in Stockholm and docks in Nynasham. that's not the best scenario but it's not a deal killer. I'd also consider the quality of the food when selecting. I was given a choice of the Norwegian Star or Royal Princess and Princess had way better reviews of the food so I picked them even though it was more pricey. you won't make a bad choice no matter what.

Bee

As the old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks". For us, the Baltic cruise was about the ports and the itinerary, and not the food they are going to serve me on the ship. You may never get back to this part of the world and I would be more concerned about not being able to dock in Stockholm and miss several hours of exploring this wonderful city, PLUS missing out on sailing thru the archipelago, rather than whose food is better.

As I said, that is just me. if the other is more important to you, go for it.

Cheers

Len

Len/buggins 0402, do you think the Silhouette won't be able to sail through the archipelago, even if she can't dock right in Stockholm? We were on the Connie in 2007 but can't remember where we docked, though we did the sail through the islands to the port. How about the Serenade? I agree that this would be a one of the deciding factors. What I liked about the Silhouette itinerary is the overnights in Stockholm, St Pete's and Copenhagen. Like goldiemom I'd want to stay with Celebrity/RCL as we are Elite.

Goldiemom, we did Iceland and the fjords mid-July 2012 and there was snow up in the mountains near Geiranger, but maybe it was a one-off.

After you mentioned this I hunted around and found Andy's sticky. Silhouette is a "big girl". Wonder which port she'd use for Stockholm?

Her sister Celebrity Eclipse has the last years docked in the central parts of Stockholm, either at Stadsgården or Frihamnen. So Silhouette will also be able to go through the archipelago to Stockholm.

Edited by Kim Viktor

Yes Kim Viktor, that's what I'd have thought, we were did a Norway cruise on the Eclipse in 2012 and she made it up narrow fjords without any problem!

That would be a nice cruise with a Stockholm embarkation and a overnight in Copenhagen. Glad to see Celebrity finally doing S class Scandinavia embarkations for this area (rather than just Amsterdam or London). Year late for us though - booked an Oceania for this year.

Thanks for all the replies. We, too, aren't "foodies" so food is the bottom of our requirements. Seems like there is a huge market for Baltic Cruises.

You definitely want to take a Norway cruise, not one that goes to St. Petersburg Russia then. Because SPB, is 90% looking at churches and palaces for two days!

THANK YOU!!!

I assume you've read on the DIS that the Disney Magic looks as though it will be doing Baltic and Norway cruises in 2015? However, you know those prices will be high!

I am on an 11-night Legend of the Seas Baltic cruise in June from Copenhagen to Stockholm. It has a great itinerary, and spends 3 days in St. Petersburg. In 2015 that cruise will be on Serenade of the Seas. However, having sailed on Celebrity Silhouette in the Med - that would also be a lovely ship to sail through the Baltic or Fjords.

I assume you've read on the DIS that the Disney Magic looks as though it will be doing Baltic and Norway cruises in 2015? However, you know those prices will be high!

I am on an 11-night Legend of the Seas Baltic cruise in June from Copenhagen to Stockholm. It has a great itinerary, and spends 3 days in St. Petersburg. In 2015 that cruise will be on Serenade of the Seas. However, having sailed on Celebrity Silhouette in the Med - that would also be a lovely ship to sail through the Baltic or Fjords.

I did read that on the DIS, Nancy. Just like in Alaska, I figure it's better to go with a cruise line that continually sails the Baltic area. That's one of the reasons I didn't go the first time DCL cruised there. I'm Platinum wth them but sail wisely, also, LOL. Your 11 night sounds good. I just wonder if we need 3 days in St Petersburg since our Viking River Cruise was church, palace and castle heavy in Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, Slovakia and Hungary. My DH is just done with that. (not me though)

I did read that on the DIS, Nancy. Just like in Alaska, I figure it's better to go with a cruise line that continually sails the Baltic area. That's one of the reasons I didn't go the first time DCL cruised there. I'm Platinum wth them but sail wisely, also, LOL. Your 11 night sounds good. I just wonder if we need 3 days in St Petersburg since our Viking River Cruise was church, palace and castle heavy in Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, Slovakia and Hungary. My DH is just done with that. (not me though)

I was in St. Petersburg for 2 days on a 2005 Baltic cruise, so this time I will go to Moscow on day 2 of our 3 days in St. Petersburg. However, I understand getting tired of churches, castles, and palaces, as I am that way about art museums. Serenade of the Seas also has some nice itineraries in Norway, should you decide to go the more scenic route, as does HAL.