Back from 11 nights on CENTURY

Lois R

Any questions I will try and answer.......

I went on a short 3 nighter followed by an 8 nighter....large roll calls

for both cruises. Lots of long time ccrs on both with some still on the

ship now.....it was nice meeting new folks and seeing old friends.

Century was my first ship, 11 years ago and I still love her. The WOOD

and BRASS are lovely and classic. Yes, she is old but so am I:rolleyes:.....

I know many folks prefer newer, larger, more venues, etc....but

for me? I love Century:)

I had an inside cabin on the short cruise and a balcony for the longer

one.

It was a wonderful cruise, and yes there were some glitches, so no,

it was not perfect....but.... it was so good to sail her again that

I booked an August cruise to Alaska..one final voyage for me before

she leaves the fleet.

Ask Away......

Edited by Lois R

Hi Lois,

I have never sailed on the Century. I am wondering, are there any balconies that are larger than others? Anything similar to M class where the aft balconies are extended or like some of the larger balconies on the hump on S class?

Any particular class of balcony cabins that you prefer?

Where were Elite breakfasts held?

How were the mattresses?

Thanks!:)

Edited by takemewithyou

I had a regular balcony...CC class but the balcony is not large.

Remember, this ship is much older than any of the others.

Actually, maybe someone who I sailed with can give you a better

idea of the larger balconies.....a couple of my roll call mates had

different locations.....

I had a mid ship cabin on deck 9 for both cruises...inside was the usual

175 sq feet and my balcony was about 6 cabins away....the cabin is

a little larger, has the balcony and the shower is nicer.

But I enjoyed both:)...and my mattresses were just fine:)

Elite breakfast and cocktails were held in The Crystal Room.

I had a regular balcony...CC class but the balcony is not large.

Remember, this ship is much older than any of the others.

Actually, maybe someone who I sailed with can give you a better

idea of the larger balconies.....a couple of my roll call mates had

different locations.....

I had a mid ship cabin on deck 9 for both cruises...inside was the usual

175 sq feet and my balcony was about 6 cabins away....the cabin is

a little larger, has the balcony and the shower is nicer.

But I enjoyed both:)...and my mattresses were just fine:)

Elite breakfast and cocktails were held in The Crystal Room.

Thanks, Lois.

Right now I have an OV cabin, but I am watching the prices on the balconies and hoping they drop some! I am on the Alaska cruise right after yours.

I have never sailed on the Century. I am wondering, are there any balconies that are larger than others? Anything similar to M class where the aft balconies are extended or like some of the larger balconies on the hump on S class?

Any particular class of balcony cabins that you prefer?

Where were Elite breakfasts held?

How were the mattresses?

Thanks!:)

I was also on this cruise. For the first three days I had an aft family veranda cabin on deck 9 (9245). It is a larger cabin and had a large veranda. However, I did not like the cabin. There was a lot of noise (door slamming, etc) and the thrusters threw me out of bed each morning as we docked. The mattress was dreadful, and due to the positioning of the bed there is no bedside table. I had this type cabin because I booked so late that it was the only veranda available.

I was lucky enough to move to a Sky Suite on deck 10 for the 8 day cruise. Definitely larger balcony and much better mattress. Elite breakfasts were in the Crystal Room.

It was a great cruise, but I would have been unhappy if I had to spend 11 days in the aft family veranda cabin.

Carolyn

I was also on this cruise. For the first three days I had an aft family veranda cabin on deck 9 (9245). It is a larger cabin and had a large veranda. However, I did not like the cabin. There was a lot of noise (door slamming, etc) and the thrusters threw me out of bed each morning as we docked. The mattress was dreadful, and due to the positioning of the bed there is no bedside table. I had this type cabin because I booked so late that it was the only veranda available.

I was lucky enough to move to a Sky Suite on deck 10 for the 8 day cruise. Definitely larger balcony and much better mattress. Elite breakfasts were in the Crystal Room.

It was a great cruise, but I would have been unhappy if I had to spend 11 days in the aft family veranda cabin.

Carolyn

Thanks for you reply.:)

I know the sky suites are quite large on Century.....if only, (sigh), prices need to really drop in order for me to have one....LOL!

Thanks for you reply.:)

I know the sky suites are quite large on Century.....if only, (sigh), prices need to really drop in order for me to have one....LOL!

Our first cruise was February 1999, in a Sky Suite on the Century; and, we were very pleased.

Any not to miss menu items in MDR and was there a big brunch?

Yes, there was brunch on the last sea day.

As for not to miss items? Remember, this is just my opinion.....the

food was some of the best I can remember, except for the ribeye:eek:

Don't order it. The great items? Lamb chops and Veal chop were both

absolutely delicious:D.....

The Teryaki Salmon served at the brunch was excellent too:)

Oh, I will say the Officers on the ship were very visible and lots

of interaction with them:) Capt George....definitely Eye Candy;)

And the staff in Cova gets a big thumbs up. I filled out a couple of

"Attention to Detail Cards" and they got a lot of compliments from me.

And Jordan Peterson was the Piano player. I had met him on Summit

last August and he is fantastic!:D

Welcome back Lois. And I also an a fan of the Century.

What was the condition of the chairs in the Crystal Lounge? Do they appear to have been replaced? When we were on the Century last fall it seemed to me that the chairs in the Crystal Lounge were in much worse shape than when we were on the Century in October, 2012. Since the evening Captain's Club gathering was held in that room on both cruises we had also spent time in that room the year before and just don't remember the chairs as been so "ratty."

What was the condition of the chairs in the Crystal Lounge? Do they appear to have been replaced? When we were on the Century last fall it seemed to me that the chairs in the Crystal Lounge were in much worse shape than when we were on the Century in October, 2012. Since the evening Captain's Club gathering was held in that room on both cruises we had also spent time in that room the year before and just don't remember the chairs as been so "ratty."

Hi,:) I didn't notice anything being "ratty" really. The chairs seemed

fine to me:)

Hi,:) I didn't notice anything being "ratty" really. The chairs seemed

fine to me:)

Lois: Believe me -- you would have noticed as the chairs seemed to be coming apart. Wobbly, with many chairs having torn upholstery in very visible locations (ie the arms). The upholstery fabric seemed to wearing out on a number of them, which gave them a very antique look. Hopefully they have been replaced.

A couple of questions. One of the above posters noted how bad the mattress was on the 3 day cruise. Is this common on Century since we have never sailed on Century before? Definately don't want to have a bed that is uncomfortable, too old for that. Plan to eat some dinners in the buffet and wondering how the food quality and choice is there. Thanks.

What was the condition of the chairs in the Crystal Lounge? Do they appear to have been replaced?

Many chairs should have been retired long ago. However the chairs are being replaced continuously. I'll try and take a before and after picture.

A couple of questions. One of the above posters noted how bad the mattress was on the 3 day cruise. Is this common on Century since we have never sailed on Century before? Definately don't want to have a bed that is uncomfortable, too old for that. Plan to eat some dinners in the buffet and wondering how the food quality and choice is there. Thanks.

Hi, sorry whoever said they had a bad mattress. I had 2 different

cabins and both mattresses were fine for me. I don't know if a 3 day

cruise had anything to do with it though. I have sailed Century 7 times

and normally my mattress is fine. If you need an egg crate? Ask

your cabin attendant for one.

Hi Northern Aurora,

I asked about this while onboard. It seems to be a work in progress. Some chairs have been reupholstered, while others have not. I was told they are doing them over the coming weeks, so it should improve.

Why this was not done - along with many other items... such as the MDR chairs (which were awful) during the Drydock, makes little sense to me. Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

Lois, thanks for starting this thread.

Like you, we enjoyed our 11 days on the Century and it was a pleasure to finally meet you. The public spaces and cabins were in much better condition than our last cruises on her 3 years ago. Our stateroom was not tired, dirty or outdated and our room attendants, Xavier and Rommel were fabulous.

The food in the MDR was good to very good each evening, entertainment was enjoyable, especially in the Cova Cafe, and the Elite get togethers were most enjoyable.

To those looking forward to sailing on this ship, I hope you all have a great time, we surely did.

Edited by Oville

Hi folks:)

Andy, good to see you again:) as well and Katie, it was nice to meet you

too:)

Andy, I guess we have different opinions about the dining room chairs

as I did not think they were awful. I don't recall anything wrong with

them actually:eek:

I have been on for 17 days now.

The public room furniture is pretty bad. As an example the new Michaels Club VIP lounge has a chair where the trim is disconnected from the chair and is just hanging off it.

Our cabin has the carpet with the alternating 6 inch stripes of orange and tan. It is so worn that it looks like it is as old as the ship (1995).

I am happy with the food and the service. The service in the VIP lounge is over the top!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Staff on board actually try to encourage people to dress appropriately such as removing hats and caps in the dining room and not wearing shorts at the elite event. One of the assistant maitre d's attempted to get a guy with hairy armpits flowing from his undershirt to change for lunch but the guy refused to leave.

It amazes me how certain passengers rant and rave when asked to follow the rules and threatening staff with poor ratings and negative reports on the attention to detail cards. We witnessed a couple dressing down the hostess when they ignored the sign asking elites not to remove drinks from the lounge.

The staff and crew make Century seem the happiest fleet in the ship.

Some recent hires make service seem a bit inconsistent at times but the overall experience has been wonderful.

Some of the chairs in the Crystal Lounge were very ratty and dirty.