when did cruising become so sloppy

toxicfairy

Maybe it isn't that society is getting sloppier, but society is becoming less superficial.

With the obvious exceptions of some closed minded and judgmental folks, instead of looking at people only clothing deep, which can give a very false interpretation of the true character of a person, we now let the person show us in his talk and actions his character. I like this.

I am getting old (62) but I am not too old to appreciate the new changes in the world. My parents and the people in their generation were very quick to make judgements based on color, race, religion, and even clothing....I am glad that I have lived long enough to see our society begin moving past that.

If cruising isn't giving you what you need or making you happy, then move on, find something that makes you happy. It's not anyone's job to make you happy.

As for my husband and I, we love cruising the way it is NOW.

Ah, another voice of reason. Thank you for a very well written and well thought out post!

It's a commentary about how we've evolved in this country. People used to dress up to take a flight, we dressed for school, church, etc. I can remember my mom dressing us nicely to go to a family picnic or family reunion. My dh has mentioned that he doesn't like you employees dress in hospitals. The nurses don't wear white anymore, they all wear scrubs and sneakers. When I started nursing I wore white, white hose, white shoes and a nursing cap! Imagine that now! Do I think the evolution to casual is good? Nope.....but it is what it is. Jeans in church, butts hanging out in school.........we're stuck with it.

But all those things aren't what they used to be either.......Taking a flight now involves miles of walking in large airports, hours of waiting and security clearances, and squeezing into small seats - none of which are conducive to being dressed up. The same goes for schools, where locker space is getting smaller and students have to walk outside between "portable" classes. And as for white skirts for nurses? Nurses' duties aren't what they used to be either, and white skirts and caps aren't terribly practical for those new duties.

I agree that it's not about becoming more casual for casual-ness sake, but for practicality and utility - and because we're becoming less enamored with superficial appearances and focus instead on the people themselves.

It's a commentary about how we've evolved in this country. People used to dress up to take a flight, we dressed for school, church, etc. I can remember my mom dressing us nicely to go to a family picnic or family reunion. My dh has mentioned that he doesn't like you employees dress in hospitals. The nurses don't wear white anymore, they all wear scrubs and sneakers. When I started nursing I wore white, white hose, white shoes and a nursing cap! Imagine that now! Do I think the evolution to casual is good? Nope.....but it is what it is. Jeans in church, butts hanging out in school.........we're stuck with it.

things and styles change...like my nurses in scrubs

Edited by alexspepa

nurses haven't worn caps since the late 60's.. hospitals set the dress code for nurses. they issue the scrubs and expect nurses to wear what they are issued. certain colors denote certain departments.

when the wife was in nursing school (catholic) the nuns would have them line up every morning and every hem had to be exactly 18 inches from the floor. while she was head nurse of neurosurgery is when white pants suit uniforms took over. now no nurse is going to climb around all the gear in most rooms wearing a dress/skirt. as folks like to say on CC the good old days are long gone.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Maybe the REAL upperclass, looking down their nose types that insist on wearing their armani suits should just sign up for the captains table dinne so as to avoid the riff-raff?.

again mt 02.

michael

Armani is off the rack.....no self respecting upperclass would be caught dead in a "common" mans' suit......tailor made in Milan or nothing at all......:D

nurses haven't worn caps since the late 60's.. .

..Hmmmm.....I went by the XXX theatre the other day and sure enough the nurse pictured on the poster from the new movie "Sick Day" had a cap on.....not much more but a cap on........;):D:D

Maybe the REAL upperclass, looking down their nose types that insist on wearing their armani suits should just sign up for the captains table dinne so as to avoid the riff-raff?.

again mt 02.

michael

I wore my favorite Harley/Hawaiian shirt to dinner with the captain . Turn's out the captain love's to ride his motorcycle too. It gave us two a lot to talk about .:) ;)

again mt 02.

michael

My guess is that those who spend the coin on Armani are sailing the luxury ships with an enforced dress code, not the typical mass market mega loader.

nurses haven't worn caps since the late 60's.. hospitals set the dress code for nurses. they issue the scrubs and expect nurses to wear what they are issued. certain colors denote certain departments.

when the wife was in nursing school (catholic) the nuns would have them line up every morning and every hem had to be exactly 18 inches from the floor. while she was head nurse of neurosurgery is when white pants suit uniforms took over. now no nurse is going to climb around all the gear in most rooms wearing a dress/skirt. as folks like to say on CC the good old days are long gone.

My mom is a nurse and was still wearing a cap in the mid-to-late 70's. It wasn't until the later 90's that she switched from whites to scrubs, and even that came about slowly, as they were still in white pants with a scrub top for several years.

Armani is off the rack.....no self respecting upperclass would be caught dead in a "common" mans' suit......tailor made in Milan or nothing at all......:D

exactly Armani is for pimps and wannabee..

if you can afford to go to Savile Row, the "Golden mile of tailoring and have a bespoke suit made you would not be cruising with great unwashed unless you had invited them onto your yacht.

Bespoke clothing is traditionally cut from a pattern drafted from scratch for the customer, and so differs from ready-to-wear, which is factory made in finished condition and standardised sizes, and from made to measure, produced to order from an adjusted block pattern

Tailor made is for the wannabes. Bespoke is the way to go. Yes, Virginia, there is a difference ;)

You actually CAN get a bespoke Armani, if you really, really want to...

But all those things aren't what they used to be either.......Taking a flight now involves miles of walking in large airports, hours of waiting and security clearances, and squeezing into small seats - none of which are conducive to being dressed up. The same goes for schools, where locker space is getting smaller and students have to walk outside between "portable" classes. And as for white skirts for nurses? Nurses' duties aren't what they used to be either, and white skirts and caps aren't terribly practical for those new duties.

I agree that it's not about becoming more casual for casual-ness sake, but for practicality and utility - and because we're becoming less enamored with superficial appearances and focus instead on the people themselves.

This is a really solid comment.

I had a similiar conversation with someone about books. He said that "REAL readers only read real, physical, hardback books" and was as serious as they come in that opinion. He believes that paperbacks, digital audio books and e-readers are basically the scum of the universe to readers.

I have and regularly use all of the above and consider myself a pretty avid reader. I read (in some form) pretty close to every single day. I happen to agree that nothing beats the feel of an amazing leather-bound hardcover book on the couch on a rainy day. That said, I own several hundred books and only have about a dozen of those. They are expensive and impractical in my life. I have almost zero free time to lounge on a couch for hours reading a book that I'm too afraid to take with me.

My comments to him included references to no longer using handwritten manuscripts from monks in scriptoriums, scrolls, and traveling to the town storyteller for personalized oral traditions because mass-printed hardcover books were so much easier and portable.

Times change. I can make the choice in my life to keep "reading" via listening to audiobooks in the car on my 35-minute each way commute, enjoying the INSANELY AWESOME convenience of my Kindle weighing about 10oz but holding hundreds of books (and the awesome tool of saving my place, so I can finish reading on my phone, home computer, or even my Android tablet) or even stuffing an inexpensive paperback in a backpack to read when I'm out and about. OR OR OR OR OR I can completely stop reading until one of those random days happen where I have time to curl up on the couch. I choose the former over the later.

Times have changed with dress and cruising habits in a very similiar manner.

You certainly have the option to sail a line that demands you dress to the nines and hold your pinky extended in the air at all times. OR you can pick a cruise line that has evolved to the point where they have rock walls, ice skating rinks, less formal dining, night clubs. A line that is more convenient for the modern person.

Much like the modern reading choices, you have to weigh which of the options is more important to your vacation. Cruising in 2014 dollars is way cheaper relatively to years past. Cruising is open to millions of people that it wasn't open to in years past. Cruising is fun for the whole family and not just grandma & grandpa now. There are trade offs, but most of them are good.

Relax and have a good time.

This is a really solid comment.

You certainly have the option to sail a line that demands you dress to the nines and hold your pinky extended in the air at all times. OR you can pick a cruise line that has evolved to the point where they have rock walls, ice skating rinks, less formal dining, night clubs. A line that is more convenient for the modern person.

Much like the modern reading choices, you have to weigh which of the options is more important to your vacation. Cruising in 2014 dollars is way cheaper relatively to years past. Cruising is open to millions of people that it wasn't open to in years past. Cruising is fun for the whole family and not just grandma & grandpa now. There are trade offs, but most of them are good.

Relax and have a good time.

Or you can choose a line that offers various activities and a country club casual enviroment every night--that is actually enforced. This is where many if not most of the luxury and luxury light lines have gone. No formal nights, but no shorts, t-shirts, or baseball caps, etiher.

Well, this thread sure went South. I have learned a few things from this one....

(1) Unless you're wealthy/rich, don't bother thinking about a cruise because you aren't "classy" enough to cruise...

(2) Don't cruise if you're overweight because we aren't appropriate "eye candy" while a meal is to be enjoyed

(3) People who work hard don't deserve to "relax" on a cruise and take a break from wearing uniforms and suits all day

(4) "Trailer" people aren't welcome.....

SO, this is what I'm going to do

(1) Not cruise (I was very much interested in it until I started reading these boards)

(2) Take the $5k - $6k spent on yearly vacations and go to my tried and true vacation spots (Orlando, one of THOSE Caribbean Islands and Anaheim)

(3) Remember next time that there is a natural disaster that "trailer" people's things wouldn't be good enough for the general population (we filled a tractor trailer load for both Katrina and Sandy full of clothing, food, cleaning supplies, appliances, etc from here and paid to ship it south)

(4) This forum is not for me...

I realize that not everyone holds these views, but I have read enough that "people like me" and most of my acquaintances, etc are not/would not be appreciated aboard. I'm jumping ship now. (to those who did answer questions to my other posts, thanks so much - I did truly appreciate the help/advice)

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which cruise lines would be good if someone was looking for an "elegant" experience where people were likely to wear more upscale clothing? For instance, slacks and polo shirts (perhaps with a jacket) during the day, and jacket and tie, suit, or formal wear, in the evening?

Looking at the website for Silversea I see that the videos (which are promoting the "ideal" of their experience show people casually, but elegantly, dressed. They do mention having formal nights. Overall, that would seem like a very elegant experience, but can anyone who has been on one of the high end lines tell me if that is actually what happens?

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which cruise lines would be good if someone was looking for an "elegant" experience where people were likely to wear more upscale clothing? For instance, slacks and polo shirts (perhaps with a jacket) during the day, and jacket and tie, suit, or formal wear, in the evening?

Looking at the website for Silversea I see that the videos (which are promoting the "ideal" of their experience show people casually, but elegantly, dressed. They do mention having formal nights. Overall, that would seem like a very elegant experience, but can anyone who has been on one of the high end lines tell me if that is actually what happens?

My recommendation would be to look on line for vacation photos from travelers on photo sharing sites.....bypass the promotional photos and look for pics from real travelers. Also see if the ship has a webcam - for instance, before my last Crystal cruise, I looked at the webcam in their computer room to see what passengers were wearing during the day (when they were using the computers). I think you'll find shorts, t-shirts, and sandals are ubiquitous warm weather vacation wear, during the days at least.

My recommendation would be to look on line for vacation photos from travelers on photo sharing sites.....bypass the promotional photos and look for pics from real travelers. Also see if the ship has a webcam - for instance, before my last Crystal cruise, I looked at the webcam in their computer room to see what passengers were wearing during the day (when they were using the computers). I think you'll find shorts, t-shirts, and sandals are ubiquitous warm weather vacation wear, during the days at least.

Thanks... checking the cruise line's web cam, and also travelers' own photos is a great idea.

In response to JustCruiseMe's question "Why do you care?" The answer is that, to me, what everyone is wearing can change the ambiance of the experience.

I do agree (to a certain extent) with the OP. I dress up on formal nights and enjoy seeing others do the same. I follow the rules and have never thought of a cruise vacation as a way to go wild, indulge in offensive behavior or "get over" on the cruise line or my fellow passengers. That said...

I've learned over the years that I can only be responsible for myself. I'm relaxing on a beautiful cruise ship eating food I don't have to cook, sleeping in a bed I don't have to make, in a room I don't have to clean. It's all good. The way others choose to enjoy their cruise usually doesn't impact me.

Life is short.

I do agree (to a certain extent) with the OP. I dress up on formal nights and enjoy seeing others do the same. I follow the rules and have never thought of a cruise vacation as a way to go wild, indulge in offensive behavior or "get over" on the cruise line or my fellow passengers. That said...

I've learned over the years that I can only be responsible for myself. I'm relaxing on a beautiful cruise ship eating food I don't have to cook, sleeping in a bed I don't have to make, in a room I don't have to clean. It's all good. The way others choose to enjoy their cruise usually doesn't impact me.

Life is short.

Spot on. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app