when did cruising become so sloppy

toxicfairy

Go, enjoy yourself. Just know that you have NOT truly gone on a cruise unless you participated in all that is the cruising tradition. And that includes a tux or suit for formal night. Flip flops, Dockers sans jacket. NOT my idea of a cruise.

Thank you. I will enjoy myself. :)

Your idea of what a cruise should be, is not mine. No tux/suit, ball gowns. :(

I want to relax. We're not slobs, ... our opinion. You would probably think otherwise. I don't really care.

Good that there are cruise lines for both of us huh?

Enjoy your future cruises. ;)

Wow, I don't even know why some of you guys even go on cruises anymore. Granted I've only been on 4 cruises but I've never seen anything so off putting that it would ruin my trip. Were there a few obnoxious kids towards the end of my last spring break cruise? Yes, they bothered me for about 30 seconds one day in an elevator. Were there a few chair hogs? yes. Were there heavier people in bikinis? I guess. That is not my business. My business is to keep myself and my family in the best health as possible.

Honestly your post just now was truly disgusting. What I would truly like to know in this entire discussion that I have unfortunately let myself get sucked into is this. Are the people who agreed with the OP truly disgusted in those who don't dress in 100% formal attire or are you just referring to things like guys wearing muscle shirts and an obvious disregard for dress code rules? Now that we have started referring to trailer parks and 300 lb women bikinis as a reference to how disgusting society is today, which is it? Are you pissed because I'm not wearing technical formal attire into your geriatric prom (as it was so eloquently put before)? Or is it the people who don't dress up at all?

I love cruising. My kids, my husband, and my parents are now all hooked. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and their interpretation of the suggestions (again, not rules). However, I think it is just incredibly ridiculous when I see tuxes and women wearing floor length formal gowns into the MDR even on formal nights. Most of them look like they are just wearing an old bridesmaid dress anyway. All this to sit down with the same people you have sat down with night after night and eat some frozen lobster? Give me a break.

Debbie

I am pressing the LIKE button! OVer and over and over!:D

Um, read it the first time. Why the repeats?

Again - Can we assume you don't cruise anymore? It being ruined and all.

My question too!

What an egotistic person that poster is! Hope they go to the SPECIAL events and leave cruising for the dumpy, down people!:rolleyes:

There is no point in complaining about the way people dress on ships which effectively have no dress code. The lines themselves decided that they wanted to compete for maximum passenger loads, and that means not doing anything to turn away anybody. I believe that it is unfortunate that a lot of traditions have gone by the boards: formal atmosphere tends to encourage more formal behavior - that is why schools which believe that discipline facilitates the learning process have rules and dress codes. That is why private associations which want to emphasize the specialness of an occasion (the Oscars, for example) will " encourage" compliance with a dress code.

The problem is, such efforts require enforcement - turning people away from the MDR who do not comply, and the lines do not want either the hassle or the risk of alienating possible repeat customers.

Our society has been continually evolving towards less formality because a critical mass of our population has come to feel that self expression is better than self control - particularly when that self control involves complying with rules.

Simply put, people are becoming more self absorbed and are increasingly inclined to do just what they want - not just on cruise ships, but across the board. It's not all bad by any means - but it does lead to the disappearance of formality and (sadly) courtesy generally: the more people focus on doing what they want, the less attention they will pay to the interests of others.

I MAY still cruise but it sure won't be on a mass market cruise line where no one gives a S***. Why would I want to slum it with people in their shorts and flip flops or even Dockers and a collared shirt??? NOT my idea of a cruise.

Never been to the Caribbean, never WILL GO to the Caribbean for a cruise. Lived on one island (Hawaii) and been to enough other islands (Fiji, Bora Bora, Aruba on a fluke with a South American cruise) that ANY Caribbean island I have NO interest in.

Go, enjoy yourself. Just know that you have NOT truly gone on a cruise unless you participated in all that is the cruising tradition. And that includes a tux or suit for formal night. Flip flops, Dockers sans jacket. NOT my idea of a cruise.

If you are so pompous and conceited what are you doing on a common cruise forum with common people talking about common cruise lines? Go post in "luxury vacations/cruises" forums, or did they throw you out too after you made your dirty comments there? Shooooo! Shooo!

Slumming it with Dockers and a collared shirt :eek: Oh, the horror. I'm glad I haven't met you but even if I had, I would not turn my nose up at you with your Levi's and tshirts on a workday at your business while I was dressed nicer than you. I didn't realize princesses had to work. ;)

Now I have another question. What do you all you guys and ladies who like to wear prom dresses and tuxes to the MDR on formal night do all day? Do you do anything active, out in the sun? Anything that would exhaust you to the point that you do not want to put on the floor length formal or do you sit in your suites all day waiting to get ready for dinner?

Debbie

I don't wear prom dresses, but I do wear beautiful long gowns for formal nights. Since formal nights are typically sea days, all we do is lie around on our balcony during the day watching the wake and recovering from the previous night's partying and diving during the day.

Edited by Laurie S.

Wow... Even though I don't agree with a lot of the comments I understand what I believe to be the general sentiment from the OP and several others in that some enjoy the atmosphere that is created when people dress formally. What I don't understand is the complete and unnecessary bashing of those who don't agree. I know it is human nature to be judgmental but some of these comments are completely out of line. IMHO, if your feelings regarding how your fellow human beings dress has any bearing on your enjoyment of anything, you should really take a moment to reflect and prioritize what is truly important. My recommendation is to volunteer in a soup kitchen or visit the children's ward in a hospital. I know this is a shock but there are far worse things than jeans in the MDR or rubenesqe ladies in bikinis.

political correctness will not allow you to disrespect another persons choices no matter how silly or vulgar.

you are not being very politically correct by implying fat people are sloppy.

I wasn't trying to be politically correct; rather, I am calling it as I see it.

I didn't say all fat people are sloppy, but I do notice that I see lots of people who've sort of "given up", and one big part of that seems to be, "Well, I'm this size, and I'm not going to look good anyway, so I'll just cover up in a big tent".

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating my OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Is anyone else tired of hearing about how people want to not do what is "suggested" by the cruise lines??

That is one of the reasons why we have really cut back on ocean cruising and now travel in small land groups as well as river cruising. In an effort to fill cabins cruise lines now prostitutes themselves to meet the bottom line....the sloppy starts in the airport today....;):D

Edited by grand isle joe
add

I don't wear prom dresses, but I do wear beautiful long gowns for formal nights. Since formal nights are typically sea days, all we do is lie around on our balcony during the day watching the wake and recovering from the previous night's partying and diving during the day.

Thank you

SO MUCH is missed by all the new cruisers who think a rock wall, wave surfing or other such things are part of a cruise.

I only go for relaxation, to get REALLY dressed up or to see someplace I may not fly to.

If I REALLY wanted to go rock wall climbing, REAL surfing or miniature golf, there are FAR superior places to do it rather than on a ship.And generally at a d*** sight cheaper than a cruise price.

The rest of the stuff is the dumbing down of AMERICA!!! So be it-hope I don't have to live much longer to see the "decline and fall of the Roman Empire" We are on the SAME path.

Edited by greatam

Thank you

SO MUCH is missed by all the new cruisers who think a rock wall, wave surfing or other such things are part of a cruise.

I only go for relaxation, to get REALLY dressed up or to see someplace I may not fly to.

If I REALLY wanted to go rock wall climbing, REAL surfing or miniature golf, there are FAR superior places to do it rather than on a ship.And generally at a d*** sight cheaper than a cruise price.

The rest of the stuff is the dumbing down of AMERICA!!! So be it-hope I don't have to live much longer to see the "decline and fall of the Roman Empire" We are on the SAME path.

I cruised before rock walls, surfing and miniature golf. The first 3 cruises I went on had none of these. This is what is so amazing to me. Those of you who see it only see it one way. It is sad, really. You go for relaxation and to get really dressed up. Good for you. Cruising isn't even my favorite way to travel.

You know why I do it? Oh yeah... that is right nobody has asked. You are too busy thinking about why you do it and turning up your nose at all us newcomers. You see your old way of doing things and you can't see past that. I don't see any threads with casual dressers griping about how people overdress and how it ruins their meals or experience. Always the other way around. You make assumptions based on the fact that we don't want to wear formal dresses to eat frozen lobster. Everything from trailer parks to fat people have been discussed yet you have absolutely no idea who you are talking to or making judgements about on the other line. You know nothing about me, my education, my family background or my financial standing. All the sudden cruise lines are just prostituting themselves out to me. WOW.

I do it because my kids love it. Their first cruise didn't have any of the above things you mentioned either. I guess the cruise lines have now just prostituted themselves out for all of us low life losers who take our kids where they want to go. Shame on us for even stepping foot on your cruise line. How dare we. Oh wait? We probably saved the cruise industry.... That is how.

Debbie

Thank you

For many people, a rock wall, wave surfing or "other such things" are a big part of their cruise.

A lot of people cruise for relaxation, but some cruise to have fun & party.

Cruise ships are big enough for everyone ... and those of you who want to pretend you're on the Titanic, there are smaller (more expensive) ships still around ...

No flames here. I agree. The whole mentality of cruising has turned into "how can we make it cheap and casual?"

It certainly isn't what it used to be. Cruising used to be an upscale vacation. Now it seems like Panama City in the Caribbean, particularly on short cruises.

We still love cruises because we love the ocean and the sun, but cruising isn't the same thing we fell in love with years back.

just curious...do you like the fact that the cruise you bought this year was less expensive than the one you bought 20 years ago? There is a reason for that...

i have not yet had my dinner experience lessened by what somewhat else was or was not wearing.

Edited by alexspepa

Wow... Even though I don't agree with a lot of the comments I understand what I believe to be the general sentiment from the OP and several others in that some enjoy the atmosphere that is created when people dress formally. What I don't understand is the complete and unnecessary bashing of those who don't agree.

I have no problem with people not wanting to dress up on formal nights. I DO have a problem with people who do not want to dress up trying-no insisting that they be admitted to the MDR as if it is a matter of right.

I just irks me that a few people simply insist that the rules don't apply to them. I keep asking why is that so? If the rules exist they should apply to everyone.

If you don't want to dress properly go to the buffet or another dining venue that does not have a dress code. It should eb as simple as that.....:confused:

I cruised before rock walls, surfing and miniature golf. The first 3 cruises I went on had none of these. This is what is so amazing to me. Those of you who see it only see it one way. It is sad, really. You go for relaxation and to get really dressed up. Good for you. Cruising isn't even my favorite way to travel.

You know why I do it? Oh yeah... that is right nobody has asked. You are too busy thinking about why you do it and turning up your nose at all us newcomers. You see your old way of doing things and you can't see past that. I don't see any threads with casual dressers griping about how people overdress and how it ruins their meals or experience. Always the other way around. You make assumptions based on the fact that we don't want to wear formal dresses to eat frozen lobster. Everything from trailer parks to fat people have been discussed yet you have absolutely no idea who you are talking to or making judgements about on the other line. You know nothing about me, my education, my family background or my financial standing. All the sudden cruise lines are just prostituting themselves out to me. WOW.

I do it because my kids love it. Their first cruise didn't have any of the above things you mentioned either. I guess the cruise lines have now just prostituted themselves out for all of us low life losers who take our kids where they want to go. Shame on us for even stepping foot on your cruise line. How dare we. Oh wait? We probably saved the cruise industry.... That is how.

Debbie

Debbie I have been cruising for 30 years, and on this forum as long as it existed, and I truly believe this is the best post ever.

well played lady...well played indeed.

Keith

Edited by alexspepa

There is no point in complaining about the way people dress on ships which effectively have no dress code. The lines themselves decided that they wanted to compete for maximum passenger loads, and that means not doing anything to turn away anybody. I believe that it is unfortunate that a lot of traditions have gone by the boards: formal atmosphere tends to encourage more formal behavior - that is why schools which believe that discipline facilitates the learning process have rules and dress codes. That is why private associations which want to emphasize the specialness of an occasion (the Oscars, for example) will " encourage" compliance with a dress code.

The problem is, such efforts require enforcement - turning people away from the MDR who do not comply, and the lines do not want either the hassle or the risk of alienating possible repeat customers.

Our society has been continually evolving towards less formality because a critical mass of our population has come to feel that self expression is better than self control - particularly when that self control involves complying with rules.

Simply put, people are becoming more self absorbed and are increasingly inclined to do just what they want - not just on cruise ships, but across the board. It's not all bad by any means - but it does lead to the disappearance of formality and (sadly) courtesy generally: the more people focus on doing what they want, the less attention they will pay to the interests of others.

Amen to that!

IMO, the more relaxed style of dress on cruises is simply a reflection of society in general.

Some cruise lines have adopted "smart casual" or "country club casual" dress codes for all evenings, and will designate evenings where you can dress more formally if desired (but not a requirement). I think this is a reasonable approach, since it gives folks who want to dress formally an option to do so, while allowing others to dress in a smart casual dress.

I have no problem with people not wanting to dress up on formal nights. I DO have a problem with people who do not want to dress up trying-no insisting that they be admitted to the MDR as if it is a matter of right.

I just irks me that a few people simply insist that the rules don't apply to them. I keep asking why is that so? If the rules exist they should apply to everyone.

If you don't want to dress properly go to the buffet or another dining venue that does not have a dress code. It should eb as simple as that.....:confused:

I completely respect your opinion. There do seem to be a larger number of people these days who don't think the rules apply to them and/or they possess a sense of entitlement which is frustrating. Based on my very limited cruising experience and my constant presence on Cruise Critic, I don't believe that is the main issue, though. I perceive the bigger issue with people not dressing formally on formal night seems to have more to do with the wording on RCCL's site regarding dress. When I was doing my research for my first RCCL cruise, I would have thought that formal dress was optional based on the "suggested dress". Now if they had written "mandatory dress" or even "recommended dress" then it would seem less optional (or not optional). To add to that, from what I read, the Maître Ds rarely turn anyone away. Then you have this highly addictive forum where some write that it is fine, be comfortable, wear what you want while the other half say it is mandatory, if you don't want to dress up eat elsewhere. My perception is that there are a large contingent who would dress formally if they thought it was a rule.

Anyway, those are my thoughts based on very little experience. :)

Wow... Even though I don't agree with a lot of the comments I understand what I believe to be the general sentiment from the OP and several others in that some enjoy the atmosphere that is created when people dress formally. What I don't understand is the complete and unnecessary bashing of those who don't agree. I know it is human nature to be judgmental but some of these comments are completely out of line. IMHO, if your feelings regarding how your fellow human beings dress has any bearing on your enjoyment of anything, you should really take a moment to reflect and prioritize what is truly important. My recommendation is to volunteer in a soup kitchen or visit the children's ward in a hospital. I know this is a shock but there are far worse things than jeans in the MDR or rubenesqe ladies in bikinis.

Well said:)

If I may ask, how many? And what exactly were they wearing (men and women)?

I've been on 78 cruises and I've seen it all. Last year on HAL's Eurodam, there was a group of 30 something's, about 12 or so, where the women dressed like they charged by the hour with hot pants so short, their butt cheeks were exposed. The men, believe it or not, wore t-shirts with some questionable sayings and one wore a t-shirt that looked like fishnet. They were not turned away and dressed similarly every night. On RCI, there was a group of 10 women who seemed to want to outdo each other in hooker dress. See through tops, skirts so short that they flashed anyone brave enough to look. Not refused service. I've also seen dirty cargo shorts, ripped jeans that left little to the imagination and one woman wearing a chain mail dress. There are so many more examples I could give,but so little time.

This so-called sloppiness has become the norm in our society. Just look around at airports. So many looking like they just fell out of bed and walked on the plane. On my last flight I was stuck next to a man wearing a wife beater shirt, dirty shorts and flip flops---and he smelled like he hadn't showered in two weeks. On that same flight was a man in pajama bottoms, another in shorts that looked like they could walk on their own and a teenage girl in a full PJ outfit. Even at sit down restaurants you see so many who look like they need a flea dip. I guess it's laziness or not having pride in one's appearance.

Edited by kitty9

I wasn't trying to be politically correct; rather, I am calling it as I see it.

I didn't say all fat people are sloppy, but I do notice that I see lots of people who've sort of "given up", and one big part of that seems to be, "Well, I'm this size, and I'm not going to look good anyway, so I'll just cover up in a big tent".

Come on my cruise. My sister and I dress up every single night, and we're both plus size. And no, we don't wear tents, but high end clothes from Saks and Nordstrom. No complaining about luggage and how dressy clothes are heavy or uncomfortable. Add to the fact that I'm confined to a scooter due to post polio, and not even that stops me from dressing up. But in all honesty, on my cruise last month, the plus size people were dressed better than many of the skinny Minnie's.

I would not call cruising 'Sloppy', BUT, it is not the same as it once was. I have not read many of these posts, but I have to say that my wife and I have had few complaints.

Why? I believe two reasons, we travel when schools are 'in', and, almost all the cruisers that we have met on HAL, and Princess, have been very well mannered, and friendly.

While I am not insinuating that these are the better lines, but the fact remains that most of the cruisers seem to be a little older, [mature], and very very friendly.

There are not the same frills as there once were, but overall cruising is still pretty good.:)

john

Thank you for being a voice of reason.