when did cruising become so sloppy

toxicfairy

Again...these threads crop up every once in awhile. It really doesn't matter. No matter how you want to see others dress, no matter what you think of their parenting skills, no matter what you believe their lifestyle is, people are going to do what they want to do on vacation.

That's why RCCL calls their dress codes "suggestions". If you want a hard requirement on how to dress, spend your vacation frequenting "black tie required" or "jacket required" restaurants or entertainment venues.

RCCL cruises aren't that. Matter of fact, they're moving to the opposite end of that spectrum, quickly. You can talk about it here, you can even joing the shrinking contingency that constantly bemoans this movement. You will not change it. The future dictates it.

Society moves on. Every generation looks back, wishing for the "good old days". Know what? If they were so good, how come the vast majority doesn't practice the same customs?

Move on. Enjoy the ride!

Edited by graphicguy

I worked in the Home Health care industry here in Florida. We have Millionaire seniors who live in Manufactured homes.

And in Malibu, California (You never know who you are really sitting next to if they tell you they live in a trailor park): :cool:

Trailer Park for the Rich and Famous: Malibu Mobile Home Hits Auction Block Starting at $2.2 Million

Dr. James Rota's mobile home is up for sale. But this is not a run-of-the-mill mobile home. What makes it unique is where it's located, who lives in the neighborhood and the improvements that have been made – that make it a most un-trailer-like trailer. The mobile home is up for bid on Ebay, starting at $2.2 million.

Sloppy dress, sloppy manners. It is a sign of the times. Go to the mall and look at the way people dress. PJ's under a house coat worn in public. Hair untouched by a comb or brush. It is like nobody cares about their appearance anymore. No respect for others or anything else for that matter. I miss the old days when no one would be caught dead dressed in such a manner. But I digress.

It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

While I could careless what anyone wears in the dining room unless it spoils my appetite, that wasn't the only complaint the OP had. Overall, she's pretty much spot on when it comes to some cruisers and these issues. We've all seen these comments here on CC and witnessed it on-board at one time or another.

It really boils down to marketing to the masses and society's changes as well. For example, used to be that if a person attended a church service, they dressed up as a sign of respect. Now I see people at mass in everthing from suits to sloganed sweatshirts. It's just a change in the times and the wider spectrum of folks you make this affordable to, the more varied attitudes you will get across the board. I predict that in the next 10-15 years, there will only be specialty resturants for the affulant and those wishing to maintain a certian decorum and buffets for the masses. No more MDR trying to serve both sectors. The airlines do this already. :cool:

This is an unfair statement and very untrue!!! I love RCI but am Platinum on Carnival and saw the exact same type of dress on both lines! With some people dressing up and others choosing to do the business casual.

Heck.....on our last Disney cruise I saw more men wearing shorts in the Dining Room than I have ever seen on any other cruise I have ever been on. And trust me......taking both my granddaughters on that cruise cost me $$$$$$$, so it's not always how much you have paid for a cruise!!!!.......;)

I have seen far worse on CCL than on RCI. JMO. We were platinum on Carnival before we were Diamond on RCL. Carnival is a great value, and much more affordable than RCI, but the crowds out of Galveston and New Orleans can get pretty rough on the CCL rust bucket 4 and 5 day cruises. I am sure that my comments will flame some CCL lovers, but just trying to keep it real dawg, lol.

Not loyal to any one cruise line or company. But, I keep leaning more and more towards NCL's Freestyle because of the lack of histrionics over dress. It's just simpler....easier to pack for.....and actually, I find their food better than RCCL, too.

Sorry...drifting off topic. Carry on!

I have seen far worse on CCL than on RCI. JMO. We were platinum on Carnival before we were Diamond on RCL. Carnival is a great value, and much more affordable than RCI, but the crowds out of Galveston and New Orleans can get pretty rough on the CCL rust bucket 4 and 5 day cruises. I am sure that my comments will flame some CCL lovers, but just trying to keep it real dawg, lol.

I do agree with you regarding the crowds on the smaller older ships as they do tend to be a "different crowd" and I agree this is probably more so on Carnival due to their extreme low prices on the short cruises.

But in my personal experience.....on the the "7 day" cruises, I found the same type of dress on both Carnival and RCI. Some who dressed up and some who did not. I have not witnessed very many blantant dress violations on either cruiseline.

But then again I really could care less what other people wear.......

Heck.....on our last Disney cruise I saw more men wearing shorts in the Dining Room than I have ever seen on any other cruise I have ever been on. And trust me......taking both my granddaughters on that cruise cost me $$$$$$$, so it's not always how much you have paid for a cruise!!!!.......;)

Disney's new dress code policy allows shorts in the MDR. I was excited when they announced that. I don't personally own anything but jeans and button up shirts. All the slacks/ties/jackets I own are because I cruise and the first cruise I went on nice attire was required in Disney's adult restaurant. I just don't want to spend on clothes I will not use more than once a year.

Here is Disney's dress code:

On 3-night cruises:

One cruise casual night—No swimwear or tank tops

One pirate or tropical night (deck party)

One "optional dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:

First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

One pirate or tropical night (deck party)

One optional dress-up night—jacket for men, and dress or pantsuit for women

Final night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

One themed night (pirate, tropical or other themed deck party)

3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops

One formal and one semi-formal night—two great opportunities to dress-up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend: Dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women

Dress code at Palo:

Men: Dress pants and dress shirt (a jacket is optional)

Women: Dress or pantsuit

No jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

Dress code at Remy:

Men: Dress pants with jacket (sports or suit jacket) is required—ties are optional.

Women: A dress, cocktail dress, pantsuit or skirt/blouse is required

No jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

I read this thread because I was curious on what the dress code for RCCL is. My wife are going to take a cruise without kids for our 15th anniversary and are exploring other cruise lines instead of Disney. I found it amusing that the same threads exist for Disney and other cruise lines about people who "dress down" on formal nights. We personally thought about skipping on Formal nights on our last cruise but our great servers talked us into coming in our smart casual outfits. We still had a great meal. Plus I would say on our cruise it was probably 50% of the people on formal night had ties/dresses and above. The rest were adequately dressed but not formal by any means.

While I could careless what anyone wears in the dining room unless it spoils my appetite, that wasn't the only complaint the OP had. Overall, she's pretty much spot on when it comes to some cruisers and these issues. We've all seen these comments here on CC and witnessed it on-board at one time or another.

I was just going to post the same comment. While I am new to cruising, I plan on paying for a drink package as opposed to sneaking alcohol on board in my luggage. I also plan on dressing up for formal nights because I love dressing up. I really don't care if others dress up because it won't affect my good time. I do find it obnoxious when others think rules don't apply to them. Just my opinion.

I was just going to post the same comment. While I am new to cruising, I plan on paying for a drink package as opposed to sneaking alcohol on board in my luggage. I also plan on dressing up for formal nights because I love dressing up. I really don't care if others dress up because it won't affect my good time. I do find it obnoxious when others think rules don't apply to them. Just my opinion.

Big, big difference. Alcohol smuggling is prohibited by a rule that is clearly established in writing. The dress code is described as "uggested guidelines." While I enjoy dressing for dinner and try to conform to the guidelines, I am not going to lump those who choose not to in with the alcohol smugglers.

Edited by mjldvlks

Entitlement issues. And unfortunately it doesn't end when the cruise is over.

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating my OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Is anyone else tired of hearing about how people want to not do what is "suggested" by the cruise lines??

Big, big difference. Alcohol smuggling is prohibited by a rule that is clearly established in writing. The dress code is described as "uggested guidelines." While I enjoy dressing for dinner and try to conform to the guidelines, I am not going to lump those who choose not to in with the alcohol smugglers.

don't forget to lump in those nasty smokers..

RCI don't care.. if you care move up the cruise line chain.

they don't enforce dress

they don't enforce rum runners unless you are flaunting them.

they continue to allow smoking everywhere they did except balconies. they won't enforce that unless someone goes crying to security.

You're right but while the OP put more emphasis on the dining attire, that wasn't her only complaint.

Sent from my Bat Phone

Ok folks I stand corrected. Thanks for your comments. What I guess I meant to say is that I don't like seeing people dressed like a slob with torn clothes or a tee shirt at dinner. All I was getting at is to look presentable and of course dress as you please.

Please forgive me if I did not fully understand. I really love cruising and as the saying goes"each to his/her own".

Again I apologize if I have offended anybody with my post.

Two thoughts on this subject:

Sloppiness -- not just on cruises -- became acceptable (in the name of convenience and comfort) around the same time that society decided that all choices are equal, and about the time having an opinion on someone else's choices became "judgmental".

Sloppiness also became acceptable about the time the average American waistline expanded to the point that many of those classy clothes don't look so classy anymore.

Yes I understand the difference between rules and guidelines, but there are dozens of threads on here written by people who don't think rules apply to them in regard to the alcohol policy. As I stated, I don't care who dresses up on formal night, to each his own.

I am happy to dress up on the formal night and let others do as they like. However, reading these boards you would think that most people do not dress up on the formal night. I have found that most people do dress up on that night. Not everyone, of course, but they are in the minority instead of the majority as the posters would have you think. I don't mean most people are formally dressed, although some are, but most are dressed up and not casual.

There are a lot of people on this board, but they are a drop in the bucket when compared to the number of people who cruise. This applies to me, too.

Two thoughts on this subject:

Sloppiness -- not just on cruises -- became acceptable (in the name of convenience and comfort) around the same time that society decided that all choices are equal, and about the time having an opinion on someone else's choices became "judgmental".

Sloppiness also became acceptable about the time the average American waistline expanded to the point that many of those classy clothes don't look so classy anymore.

political correctness will not allow you to disrespect another persons choices no matter how silly or vulgar.

you are not being very politically correct by implying fat people are sloppy.

Edited by Sherlock43031

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating my OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Is anyone else tired of hearing about how people want to not do what is "suggested" by the cruise lines??

Considering that everyone on the cruise paid to go on a cruise VACATION I think that they are entitled to dress however they wish. My wife and I usually follow the suggested attire but I don't mind if people do not follow it.

Is it really any of MY business how they spend THEIR vacation? No.

It sounds like you are suggesting that the cruise line FORCE passengers to dress a certain way. I'll take a pass on that cruise line if that is the case.

I agree and disagree with you. Some things that you mentioned do bother me. Although I have kids do I want a vacation with kids running wild around me because their parents don't want to supervise? Absolutely not. We should always be courteous of others and how they want to vacation. Even when we sit on the deck to get some sun my family tries to talk quietly due to not wanting to disturb people around us. I also believe if an area says adult only like a Solarium it should be honored. That is not a suggestion, but a rule. It just really isn't that much to ask with all the other spaces your kids can be.

That said, I do disagree about your comments on formal night. I feel like some people on these boards assume because people don't want to dress up that we are somehow of a lower class. Not always the case. Maybe we have to dress up so much in our everyday life we see vacation as a place where we don't want to have to stand in heels that hurt our feet, etc. Maybe the guy who has to dress up for work all the time or sits in meetings with ties on just does not want to wear one on his vacation. They can call it formal night all they want but as I recall isn't it even listed as a suggested attire? It isn't exactly breaking a rule or snubbing others if you don't follow the suggestion and it isn't always lazy either. It is a personal choice. We usually dress up in cocktail attire the first night but honestly by the 2nd formal night we have either skipped or we go in a little less formal but still dress as to not completely stand out and remain respectful to the suggestion. I also agree with the above poster. On the NOS last spring break we had to really look around to see people that were really bucking the suggestion on the dress code in the dining room.

I feel on a cruise it is my job not to be rude to others and not let my kids be rude to others. We respect others space and follow the rules. We don't let our kids run wild and we use the dining room to teach our girls manners. However, I do not feel it is my job to dress in my best formal wear so that you enjoy your cruise more.

Debbie

Debbie, I agree with you totally. On the independence 2 weeks ago, my husband suggested that we not dress up for formal night the second night. I couldn't think of a reason why should ask him to do so unwillingly. He still put on suit but I don't think dress code for cruise lines such as RCI/Princess/Ncl are what it used to be. I don't see many tuxes and evening gowns anymore and that's OK. What bothers me parents not supervising kids, people always trying to smuggle alcohol, people saving seats and a general sense of entitlement.

Edited by nednrom

This is why we get a table for two. How other people dress is their business. It certainly won't ruin my cruise. We will no longer be dressing up.

I recently went to a Broadway matinee in the summer. I got all dressed up. Once we got to the theatre I realized I was overdressed; and sweltering. Lesson learned

Times change-luxury cruising is no longer the norm. Get over yourself!

Edited by janice2348