when did cruising become so sloppy

toxicfairy

As I like to tell others. You must have a cruising mentality in order to enjoy it.

For those people who think they can cheat the system may one day find out they can no longer cruise because they were not following the Cruise Conduct Codes. You may think they can but in reality there are people who look out for these people.

If you do not want to dress up then you should head on over to the Windjammer or other venue where dressing up is not a requirement. I'm sorry but for those people who have taken the time to bring the proper attire for formal night and actually dress up according to the code it would not be fair for those who decide to dress down to be allowed to eat in the dining room.

As for entitlement well then I don't really think your an educated person. You can name drop all you want but do you think I believe every word that comes out of your mouth? As the saying goes"I'll believe it when I see it".

There is this term on FlyerTalK "Do you know who I am". I don't give a rats patoot who you are whether you live in a trailer park or some luxury condo in South Beach Florida. What I care about is how you comport yourself with fellow cruisers.

Which leads me to talking about politics. I have been at a dining room table in the Main Dining room for lunch and a few people start up this heated conversation about politics. I don't care if you voted for Obama or Romney. I don't want to hear your views. I have come here to enjoy lunch and talk about subjects such as the ports you visited, stories about your past cruising experiences. I don't need this I'm a Diamond Plus or Pinnacle Member so get out of your seat and find somewhere else to sit mentality.

I did not come on a cruise for self entitlement or whining about the service. Your steak was undercooked don't make a scene but rather in a polite manner tell your server and they will gladly replace it for you. If you don't speak up and then wait until the end of the service or leave a smaller tip at the end of the cruise then be prepared for something you would have never expected to happen had you decided to bring it up right away.

I was on the Navigator last year from New Orleans-Rome and was at the 70s party. This elderly man told me if I knock him again he will break my arm. I did not even touch him. There was this large crowd in the Promenade all dancing. So he told me he is going to break my arm. So of course I reported this to Security. Its people like this that really ruin the experience. Come on people don't you know your drinking limit?

Heck this man was older than I am and acted like a 3 year old. I barely even touched him. I was there before him and he was looking for trouble. Do you know who would be on the Royal Caribbean No Cruise List? A 75 year old man not me who is 29 and more mature than you are.

Its funny that older people can be ruder than a younger person half my size. If someone bumped into me I would say excuse me or just smile and say "Oh its crowded no worries". I would not threaten to push them to the ground.

This is my 2 cents. I love cruising and I love meeting new people but please lets just be cordial towards one another thats all I ask for.

This is exactly why I love the Oasis class. My wife and I are able to enjoy a nice quiet dinner every night in a different specialty restaurant. I realize that this is not for everyone, but it works for us.

As for entitlement well then I don't really think your an educated person. You can name drop all you want but do you think I believe every word that comes out of your mouth? As the saying goes"I'll believe it when I see it".

If you are going to pronounce someone uneducated you should probably use the correct word....it's YOU'RE not Your.

I usually just break out the popcorn and sit back on these types of treads. But, today was a snow day in the DC area and I had too much time on my hands.

I've rarely paid any attention to what anyone wears on a RCI cruise, other than noticing the occasionally fashionably dressed person in the too tight or too short outfit, or the one who couldn't walk in the heels they decided they "had" to take on a cruise, but that's no different from an average weekend in Vegas.

For whatever reason, I hit Google today and found a very interesting article on Forbes from a year or so ago that looked at dress codes at Forbes 4-5 star (Michelin 3-4 star) restaurants. These are all places where LUNCH will set you back over $100-150 per person and can easily go much higher with drinks. They polled Le Bernadin (NYC), The French Laundry (Yountville/Napa Valley), Graham Elliott (Chicago), Daniel (NYC), and Menton and No. 9 Park (Boston). Le Bernadin, The French Laundry, and Daniel require jackets (but not necessarily ties) for men; the others have no dress codes. Interestingly, both Le Bernadin and The French Laundry reported it was their younger patrons that tended to dress in suits and ties. Here in the DC area, Central by Michelle Richard makes a point that it's a casual restaurant. Jackets are still the norm in most of the better known restaurants in New Orleans (Commanders, Brennan's, Antoine's, etc.). I've only eaten at a couple of those, and would gladly wear a clown suit if it were suggested, but it's not. (And of course, many of them keep a rack of jackets for the gentleman who "forgot" his.)

I've gone from suit and tie to sport coat and tie over my RCI cruises, although I may drag out my Mess Dress this summer just because I'll be retiring from the Army in about a year, and will probably never wear it again. The funny thing is that with the tendency for the top line restaurants to go more casual, I find myself going more formal for events with generally crappy banquet food, and casual when my wife and I splurge on a truly nice night out. Kind of like the notion that a few of the truly high end and most expensive cruise lines are totally casual...

I'm far more bothered by the properly dressed drunken bore onboard than the usually polite but not quite dressed up couple. I've probably noticed a very small number over multiple cruises that were under dressed and obnoxious, and probably noticed the latter first. I just don't find it worth worrying about.

If you do not want to dress up then you should head on over to the Windjammer or other venue where dressing up is not a requirement.

Not a requirement.

I'm sorry but for those people who have taken the time to bring the proper attire for formal night and actually dress up according to the code it would not be fair for those who decide to dress down to be allowed to eat in the dining room.

Sure it would be fair. They all paid for dinner in the dining room. There is still no dress code requirement. Please tell me how it would be fair if someone was denied food and service they paid for when there is no dress code?

What I care about is how you comport yourself with fellow cruisers.

I love cruising and I love meeting new people but please lets just be cordial towards one another thats all I ask for.

I find these statements rather duplicitous and I don't accept them in good faith. Please don't substitute your opinion for facts. You're allowed to have your opinion and feel however you want, but it is clear you want people to believe there is a dress code and that you want to make them feel ashamed if they don't do what you do. You say you only care how someone acts and carrys themselves, yet you yourself wish to treat anyone not behaving just like you think they should like a second class citizen. Sorry, the world doesn't revolve around your misunderstanding of guidelines.

I'm waiting for someone to come back and explain to me how any of these people are inappropriately attired to eat in the main dining room each and every night of a cruise, regardless of theme. These are all cruise pics taken from Google Image search, I don't know these people or what ship or when, but they all look nicely dressed to me. I wouldn't describe any of them as slobs or anything like that. If these sort of outfits offend you and ruin your dinner...guess what, the problem is YOURS, not theirs. You ought to be ashamed of yourself telling people to go away so you can dress like a butler for fun.

DSC_0480_thumb.jpg

PakhomovRestaurant_LRG_tcm43-17807.jpg

1150080157-lunch-cruises.jpg

gc11Red.jpg

Nile%20Goddess%20VIEW%20FROM%20SUN%20DECK.jpg

Cruise2010060.jpg

Since I can still see your original comment in my inbox . . . the link you posted to "educate" me is exactly what I said. No apologies necessary. ;)

Yes, definately my mistake. I read the second sentence of your quote and not the first.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I guess i will throw in my 02 as i am one of those hayseeds.

When we went on my first cruise november of 2012, we had been dieting all year in our quest to get in better health. I lost over 80lbs and wife lost about 50ish. The cruise was our reward. We both "dressed up" for the dinner, her in a very nice dress and myself in a nice longsleeve shirt, tie and nice slacks. That is MAJOR for me. and to be honest i do not even own a suit or jacket that would come close to fitting me anyway.

i am all for people that go all out in their tux etc but it's no bother to me either way. I think that if someone showed up in their bathing suit then i would draw the line but that's about it.

as usual my 02.

Michael

When you have cabins priced at under $100pp per nite, you attract all kinds of people. We have had table mates that lived in a trailer park, so cruising is no longer an elegant experience. If that is what you want, go on a luxury line, don't complain that some passengers on a mass market cruise line don't act and dress like royalty. Have you ever seen the dress styles at Disney, and that is more upscale than cruising.

All I can do is shake my head......WOW......Unbelievable!

I'm waiting for someone to come back and explain to me how any of these people are inappropriately attired to eat in the main dining room each and every night of a cruise, regardless of theme. These are all cruise pics taken from Google Image search, I don't know these people or what ship or when, but they all look nicely dressed to me. I wouldn't describe any of them as slobs or anything like that. If these sort of outfits offend you and ruin your dinner...guess what, the problem is YOURS, not theirs. You ought to be ashamed of yourself telling people to go away so you can dress like a butler for fun.

DSC_0480_thumb.jpg

PakhomovRestaurant_LRG_tcm43-17807.jpg

1150080157-lunch-cruises.jpg

gc11Red.jpg

Nile%20Goddess%20VIEW%20FROM%20SUN%20DECK.jpg

Cruise2010060.jpg

I think all these people look great . The men are wearing exactly what I wear in the MDR. Everyone looks clean, neat, comfortable. The ladies all look lovely and the gentleman look very nice. How can any of these outfits cause such gastric distress to some people *LOL*

WIthout bothering to go back through the whole thread, inresponse to OP's title question as to when -- it's been a while.

Styles/fashion have changed in a wide variety of places. How many men wear ties to church [if they go at all]? Don't confuse casual or less formal with sloppy.

If you do not want to dress up then you should head on over to the Windjammer or other venue where dressing up is not a requirement.

If you want to dress up and be around no one else but those who do, then head on over to a luxury cruise line that FORCES you to. Kinda works both ways doesnt it? :confused: Formal wear is NOT a requirement in RCI's Main Dining Room on ANY night.

If you think RCI is going to change things as far as what people wear to dinner, you are sadly mistaken. In fact, the waiters in the MDR already mention no need to "dress up" when they tell you that tomorrow night is formal night.

Face facts please. The Jack and Rose days of cruising are well over with. At least on mass market cruise lines. In fact, Im willing to bet if RCI didnt make such a huge amount of $$$ on formal photos, there probably wouldnt even be a formal night anymore. If that bothers you, I would most certainly try to find elsewhere to spend my hard earned money.

Edited by ryano

As I like to tell others. You must have a cruising mentality in order to enjoy it.

For those people who think they can cheat the system may one day find out they can no longer cruise because they were not following the Cruise Conduct Codes. You may think they can but in reality there are people who look out for these people.

If you do not want to dress up then you should head on over to the Windjammer or other venue where dressing up is not a requirement. I'm sorry but for those people who have taken the time to bring the proper attire for formal night and actually dress up according to the code it would not be fair for those who decide to dress down to be allowed to eat in the dining room.

There is this term on FlyerTalK "Do you know who I am". I don't give a rats patoot who you are whether you live in a trailer park or some luxury condo in South Beach Florida. What I care about is how you comport yourself with fellow cruisers.

Which leads me to talking about politics. I have been at a dining room table in the Main Dining room for lunch and a few people start up this heated conversation about politics. I don't care if you voted for Obama or Romney. I don't want to hear your views. I have come here to enjoy lunch and talk about subjects such as the ports you visited, stories about your past cruising experiences. I don't need this I'm a Diamond Plus or Pinnacle Member so get out of your seat and find somewhere else to sit mentality.

I did not come on a cruise for self entitlement or whining about the service. Your steak was undercooked don't make a scene but rather in a polite manner tell your server and they will gladly replace it for you. If you don't speak up and then wait until the end of the service or leave a smaller tip at the end of the cruise then be prepared for something you would have never expected to happen had you decided to bring it up right away.

I was on the Navigator last year from New Orleans-Rome and was at the 70s party. This elderly man told me if I knock him again he will break my arm. I did not even touch him. There was this large crowd in the Promenade all dancing. So he told me he is going to break my arm. So of course I reported this to Security. Its people like this that really ruin the experience. Come on people don't you know your drinking limit?

Heck this man was older than I am and acted like a 3 year old. I barely even touched him. I was there before him and he was looking for trouble. Do you know who would be on the Royal Caribbean No Cruise List? A 75 year old man not me who is 29 and more mature than you are.

Its amazing that older people can be ruder than a younger person in my age group(29). If someone bumped into me I would say excuse me or just smile and say "Oh its crowded no worries". I would not threaten to push them to the ground.

This is my 2 cents. I love cruising and I love meeting new people but please lets just be cordial towards one another thats all I ask for.

You make some wonderful points....cruising is about fun....not being judgemental. As a 62 year old (who neither looks it or acts it), I have been 'close to attacked' at the 70's party by a 'cane wielding cruiser' -- a simple 'please be careful' by me to him, only angered him. For me, I simply moved away. As you say, show your own maturity. As you yourself know, seniors are not all the same -- thank heavens!

But telling me, that if I don't want to dress in formal attire on the nights it is suggested for the MDR, is being unfair to me. I paid for my cruising vacation as well as those who want to dress more formal than I do in the MDR. Remember it is MY vacation. I shouldn't be expected to go to a different dinner venue, because of the dress of others.

As a cruiser who loves to sit with other people at dinner (since DH and I generally travel without a group), yes conversations like politics or religion, often come up. To avoid any discomfort around the table, I usually "remind everyone that we all have our opinions and lets not make the discussion 'personal'" and viola -- it either ends the discussion (rarely) or we have a wonderful exchange of concepts, with no one expecting to change anyones' personal opinions. On one cruise where there was a pastor at our table, and we are very knowledgeable Judaically -- we all learned quite a bit from each other....the conversations were terrific.

Edited by Paulette3028

How do you know that people who live in a "trailer park" have made your cruise less elegant. (Actually, they are marketed at "Manufactured Home Communities.) I resent the implication. DH and I chose to buy a "manufactured home" after our children grew up and left home. We are not slobs, and we are not low income. We do know how to dress on formal night, we do not grab food from the buffet with our hands. We do know how to behave in an elegant manner. When we originally booked our upcoming B2B cruise on the Allure, it was priced at about $250 per night (not your suggested $100.00. My DH is a former Captain in the Army, and an executive at a local hospital. So much for your stereotyping.
I worked in the Home Health care industry here in Florida. We have Millionaire seniors who live in Manufactured homes.

WIthout bothering to go back through the whole thread, inresponse to OP's title question as to when -- it's been a while.

Styles/fashion have changed in a wide variety of places. How many men wear ties to church [if they go at all]? Don't confuse casual or less formal with sloppy.

*LIKE*

Some people here immediately think that someone is going to show up in overalls or a bathing suit and a wife beater , because they say they want to dress casually.

Sadly for a small few that is the case, but I am sure most people mean dressing exactly like these folks that are photographed here.

. . .But telling me, that if I don't want to dress in formal attire on the nights it is suggested for the MDR, is being unfair to me. I paid for my cruising vacation as well as those who want to dress more formal than I do in the MDR. Remember it is MY vacation. I shouldn't be expected to go to a different dinner venue, because of the dress of others. . . .

"uggested" being the operative word here. If it were truly a requirement/prohibition -- like bringing items on the prohibited items list, it would be completely different.

Personally, I like to dress for dinner [if you call wearing a tux "dressing" I heard Julian Fellowes tell a story recently about a Duke who admitted wearing black tie to dinner occasionaly -- when he was dining alone with the Duchess]. But, I have to recognize that it is not required and if others don't share my taste, it is not for me to judge. The cruise line sets these policies as well as all others. If I am not happy with "suggested, then I should submit all the comment cards I can and let it go.

I think they do..........on Carnival. :D

This is an unfair statement and very untrue!!! I love RCI but am Platinum on Carnival and saw the exact same type of dress on both lines! With some people dressing up and others choosing to do the business casual.

Heck.....on our last Disney cruise I saw more men wearing shorts in the Dining Room than I have ever seen on any other cruise I have ever been on. And trust me......taking both my granddaughters on that cruise cost me $$$$$$$, so it's not always how much you have paid for a cruise!!!!.......;)

Let's also consider this - as cruise fares have gotten lower and lower, the money spent per guest on food has also decreased. The food quality levels and service levels have decreased to a noticeable amount over the last few decades.

When was the last time you had sides served by the waiter off a tray with white glove service? When was the last time there was between course sorbet to clear your taste? Flaming desserts prepared table side? Cruises were expensive, the atmosphere and detailing definitely upscale, and at least to be formally dressed you were provided stellar services. Many of us are NOT accustomed to service like that....some never in their life experience it. So to dress up for that was a big, grand fun time.

Perhaps if cruise fares went up just a tiny amount and food quality went up a notch, presentations went up a notch, and they added staff to bring service levels up formal nights would feel more special and more people may be inclined to participate. I sometimes wonder when I see people dressed to the 9's if they feel themselves that it's a bit much for what the actual experience entails? If you cruised 20 years ago you'd know what it means, but if you started 5 years ago, maybe you just simply don't know.