MDR Comparable?

cw2go

Looking for your opinions:

Which cruise lines MDR dining is the most comparable to Holland, in regards to flavor and presentation? Celebrity or Carnival or RCCL?

Thanks in advance, :p

Patty

Looking for your opinions:

Which cruise lines MDR dining is the most comparable to Holland, in regards to flavor and presentation? Celebrity or Carnival or RCCL?

Thanks in advance, :p

Patty

Personally for us it was Celebrity, it was as good if not better. Now things may have changed and I can't say that's true today but then again I don't think HAL's food is as good as it once was. We still have good dinners but for us it has become a matter of consistency and unfortunately it seems there are more just acceptable to marginally bad meals than there used to be.

Definitely not RCCL, have never sailed Carnival but have sailed Celebrity and think it is comparable to HAL. Also, we just got off a 10 night on Zuiderdam and thought the food was consistently really done well in the MDR.

We just did a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on Celebrity - think it was very close to HAL in variety, taste, & presentation. My husband had steak a couple of times, & didn't think they cooked them to his preference. No problem getting something else. I used that as an opportunity to get him to try a variety of main dishes (lamb, veal, etc.)

This was our first Celebrity cruise, would go with them again.

Celebrity, easily. RCCL's food IMO is by far the worst ... granted it has been three years since we sailed and won't again,but it was bad on all four of our RCCL cruises.

Carnival used to be quite good, I hear lately it's lost a lot of quality.

IMHO, Celebrity exceeded HAL in choice and quality but didn't meet the service level of HAL. Carnival was hit and miss in relation to HAL, HAL being more consistent in quality and service. Haven''t been on RCCL yet, so can't give a personal comparision.

We cruise Princess (22) - Celebrity (11) - HAL (5) - Cunard (2) recently. Have not cruised RCCL in 20 years.

We often special order "off menu". So for us Princess and HAL and Cunard are more similar in quality and service in the MDR. Celebrity does not do off menu orders very well.

We cruise Princess, Celebrity and HAL -- alternating between the lines.

When we cruise Celebrity we generally ship the MDR entirely, we find the Lido is better for us.

Tough question because we have found HAL (and we are 4 Star Mariners) to be very inconsistent from ship to ship (and other say from cruise to cruise). When HAL is on their game their MDR food is among the best of the mass market lines. But when they are not on their game their MDR food is sometimes so bad we have to send things back until we find something decent (the waiters can be quite helpful with recommendations). And when it comes to alternative restaurants, Celebrity is light years ahead of HAL in quality and variety.

As to Celebrity (we are Elite Plus with them) we find their MDRs have become quite consistent in recent years. But like HAL, X has cut-back on some of the more expensive items in the MDR...and this is unfortunate.

Hank

We've never sailed Celebrity or Carnival, but the RCCL food doesn't even come close to HAL IMO.

Boy, some are blindly loyal to their cruise line of choice. We find all the mass market cruise lines to have similar food quality, even Carnival.

Difficult question because it can vary so much by ship and by ones tastes and preferences.

Our opinion is that Celebrity is more comparable to HAL.

However, we prefer the food and the service on Celebrity. Over and above the MDR, we very much prefer the multiple dining venues on Celebrity-especially on the Solstice class ships.

Food on our last Carnival cruise (year ago) was not a good as our Carnival cruise three years prior. Nor did we find it as good as HAL or Celebrity. Have not been on RCCL for some time so cannot comment.

Edited by iancal

We find all the mass market cruise lines to have similar food quality, even Carnival.
Then I suspect you don't see much distinction between different levels of land restaurants either. Are you now or were you ever a smoker? Edited by jtl513

I quite enjoy food and have even had the pleasure of eating at 3 Star Michelin restaurants. However , food is not that foxus of my cruising experience ( the ports are).

That being said :

I quite liked the food on HAL . The servcie in the MDR was inconsistent. The speciality restaurants ( especially the Tamarind) were excellent. The food on the lido : varied and delicious.

Celebrity: good service , nice presentation , but the food in the MDR was rather bland in my opinion. The speciality restaurants are stellar ( our meal on the Summit was one of our most memorable ever).

RCI ....very forgettable. Not bad , but not great

Carnival : while the decor on Carnival is a disaster , I must say I quite enjoyed my meals. They were perhaps less sophisticated , but the food was tasty , served at the right temps and the desserts were the best of any ship.

I've found HAL, Celebrity, and Princess to have about the same level of quality and variety on their main dining room menus. It's been six years since our last Celebrity cruise. The food and service then were not as good as our previous two cruises. Our most recent HAL cruise was last May. Everything was fine on it. We sailed on two Princess cruises after that and also had fine food and service on them.

Boy, some are blindly loyal to their cruise line of choice. We find all the mass market cruise lines to have similar food quality, even Carnival.

In most places the 'O' in IMO is opinion. Do you find it to have a different meaning?

Or am I that far behind the slang/abbreviations?