Baltic/Ukraine

rosadilla

Say, if the Ukraine situation does not get better and travel to St. Petersburg is affected so that Celebrity has to substitute other ports, who would we contact at Celebrity to vote to go to Olso instead?

I don't think the situation will get close to St Petersburg. The Ukraine is quite a bit south of the area you'll be cruising. But, I know from experience that when a port is cancelled, passengers have no input whatsoever.

I don't think the situation will get close to St Petersburg. The Ukraine is quite a bit south of the area you'll be cruising. But, I know from experience that when a port is cancelled, passengers have no input whatsoever.

Sorry to hear that, I really wanted to put Oslo in the running. And I know Ukraine is very far from St. Petersburg -- I wasn't worried about violence, I was thinking that if the US and/or EU impose sanctions, Russia might deny visas, so the port would have to be cancelled. Too soon, I know, for the cruise lines to make any decisions, but you can bet they are monitoring the situation closely, because to change ports/tours they will need lead time to make arrangements.

There are a number of posts on this topic. Too early to tell but there definitely is a chance that Celebrity might have to drop St. Petersburg from it's Baltic cruise itinerary.

Should that happen (who knows what the odds are) the passengers would most likely not get a vote on what replaces it.

My guess would be that an overnight in either Stockholm or Copenhagen along with a stop in either Poland or Belgium would be the most likely replacements. Oslo would also be a possibility.

The main thing at this point is to send your thoughts and prayers to the people of the Ukraine and to keep an eye on these boards in case Celebrity or other lines decide to make changes. Still too early at this point to know.

There are a number of posts on this topic. Too early to tell but there definitely is a chance that Celebrity might have to drop St. Petersburg from it's Baltic cruise itinerary.

Should that happen (who knows what the odds are) the passengers would most likely not get a vote on what replaces it.

My guess would be that an overnight in either Stockholm or Copenhagen along with a stop in either Poland or Belgium would be the most likely replacements. Oslo would also be a possibility.

The main thing at this point is to send your thoughts and prayers to the people of the Ukraine and to keep an eye on these boards in case Celebrity or other lines decide to make changes. Still too early at this point to know.

You are absolutely correct about sending thoughts and prayers to the people of Ukraine, and I do. What has happened there is outrageous!

Sorry to hear that, I really wanted to put Oslo in the running. And I know Ukraine is very far from St. Petersburg -- I wasn't worried about violence, I was thinking that if the US and/or EU impose sanctions, Russia might deny visas, so the port would have to be cancelled. Too soon, I know, for the cruise lines to make any decisions, but you can bet they are monitoring the situation closely, because to change ports/tours they will need lead time to make arrangements.

Well put. Our final payment is due in 2 weeks and I'm watching the situation. St P was the main reason for booking this cruise.

As for Russia denying visas- Visas/tourism are a significant part of the economy in such cities as StP.Moscow, Black Sea ports. So perhaps they will not deny but EU/USA might issue warnings,boycotts and the like.

Port change- if ST P is deemed a no go. cruise lines may just add a seaday which works out cheaper for them- no port charges, dockage, dock crew fees & taxes. Pax may be highly angry at this but our contract read" can make changes at lines discretion". I agree with you- I'd enjoy Oslo.

Carole

Unfortunately things in Ukraine seem to be heating up rather than cooling down. I fear that Crimea is a "fait accompli", and the US/EU are just paper tigers at this point. I'm hoping Putin does not further invade into Eastern Ukraine, but he doesn't have much in the way of stopping him.

The "paper tigers" may still impose sanctions that affect all of us.

I feel for the people of Ukraine. They stand alone, and we should be ashamed.

I feel for the people of Ukraine. They stand alone, and we should be ashamed.

Ashamed? You have to be kidding. We have about as much control over events there as Russia would have if we invaded Quebec. Suggest you look at a map.

However, feeling for the people of Ukraine - I could not agree more.

Ashamed? You have to be kidding. We have about as much control over events there as Russia would have if we invaded Quebec. Suggest you look at a map.

However, feeling for the people of Ukraine - I could not agree more.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a political discussion, I veered off from my original reason for this thread which was to see if there is some way to get Celebrity to go to Oslo if StP has to be cancelled because of the situation with Russia.

I don't think Oslo is in the mix. I don't expect the Russians to impose sanctions on cruise ships as it provides important revenues. And Western Europe really does not want to be involved as they get 70% of their energy from Russia. Now come the politics and economics.

The highlight of these cruises is the stop in St. Petersburg.

I actually took the plunge and emailed Celebrity suggesting that if things deteriorate and StP has to be scrapped, they substitute Oslo. I'm sure it will get scanned by someone sitting at a desk, immediately deleted, and never be remembered again ...:rolleyes:

I actually took the plunge and emailed Celebrity suggesting that if things deteriorate and StP has to be scrapped, they substitute Oslo. I'm sure it will get scanned by someone sitting at a desk, immediately deleted, and never be remembered again ...:rolleyes:

I fear you are correct. However, Oslo is no replacement for St P.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have always wanted to go to there but cancelled after finally booking for this summer. No way is that ass Putin getting my money.

Good for you. He is invading Ukraine and the Paralympics are still on. Shame on the rest of the world.

Good for you. He is invading Ukraine and the Paralympics are still on. Shame on the rest of the world.

Oil makes the world go 'round. Why do you think Europe is silent?

If it comes to StP being cancelled, which I don't think it will, after all, the Russians want the tourist $$, but if it does, anyone who thinks Oslo might be a good substitute could email Celebrity like I did. It might help.

I didn't complain in my email, after all, whatever happens in StP is beyond their control; I just suggested Oslo as a substitute port.

I really don't think it would happen, but should St P be cancelled then in my opinion Warnemunde would be the better choice. You can get to Berlin if you want to, there are many alternative places to visit too. The town of Warnemunde is lovely and you can also easily get the train from the dock to Rostock. The other great advantage is they take Euros. That would be one less currency to get.

Is it? from where I am it isn't

We only get 1% of our gas from Russia and very little oil. Germany gets 30% gas, Italy 25%. That's why Europe is silent. The UK is silent for another reason - Russian money in London.

St P won't be an issue unless it all kicks off 1939 style, in which case I wouldn't want to be on a cruise anywhere. But I've stopped looking at prices for a Black Sea cruise in September.

As for swapping ports, here's one to give you a smile. We did a 14 Norway cruise, the final stop of which was at Bergen. The day before, the captain announced that because of a pilot boat strike we couldn't go there, so instead were going to make a stop at Zeebrugge. Whoopy doo. :mad: Lots of folks changed their remaining NK to Euros at pretty poor rates on land. Private tours hurriedly cancelled, etc. Then, once underway we got told the strike was cancelled so Bergen was back on the menu for the next day. :(

We are booked on the May Baltic and would prefer Talin before Oslo sorry!!!!

However the main reason of booking is to visit StP so I will keep an eye on the so called sanctions that are due to be imposed and worry about it if it effects the travel trade and advice against travel.

If it comes to StP being cancelled, which I don't think it will, after all, the Russians want the tourist $$, but if it does, anyone who thinks Oslo might be a good substitute could email Celebrity like I did. It might help.

I didn't complain in my email, after all, whatever happens in StP is beyond their control; I just suggested Oslo as a substitute port.

It would be nice if X at least issued a statement/acknowledged our concerns but in the real world this doesn't happen. I would enjoy Oslo or extra time in either STK or CPH but this will not happen as dock space is reserved well in advance. On a slightly more positive note as of this am the US State Dept has only issues travel warnings for the Ukraine. The rest of Russia & former Russian lands has not been cited.

Let's hope that our cruise goes as planned & hope that the situation in Crimea & Ukraine calms down for the sake of their peoples.

Carole