Acceptable ID for teens under 18?

kimkencruzers

Question about ID for getting into some venues free/discounted for 18 and under for Vatican, Colosseum, Accademia, Sagrada Familia and Pompeii . I have a 16 year old with a driving permit and a 14 year old with just her student ID. I will of course have their passports but I plan to leave them in the safe. I will have passport copies.

My question is, what ID is acceptable for them? They are both taller than me and look older than they are. I don't want to carry their actual passports, but I will if it saves a significant amount of money.

Thanks for your experience,

A few ports require passengers to carry an ID when off the ship. This can be a passport or a government issued photo ID. A school ID would not qualify. In South Carolina and many other states, the Department of Motor Vehicles will issue a photo ID to anyone not having a drivers license. There may be a fee.

Question about ID for getting into some venues free/discounted for 18 and under for Vatican, Colosseum, Accademia, Sagrada Familia and Pompeii . I have a 16 year old with a driving permit and a 14 year old with just her student ID. I will of course have their passports but I plan to leave them in the safe. I will have passport copies.

My question is, what ID is acceptable for them? They are both taller than me and look older than they are. I don't want to carry their actual passports, but I will if it saves a significant amount of money.

Each venue probably has its own requirements but I would suspect any ID that shows their date of birth would be accepted. You would have to balance any cost savings against bringing the passport (and I would check to see if each of those places had a website where the information was available).

If going to Europe carry both there passports and school Id's. Passports are still the most excepted for of information.

On our cruises, either hubby or me will have our girl's passport. I prefer this to a birth certificate because it does have her photo which would be a few years old or more recent. She's even gotten a kick when we've presented her passport along with our IDs to security at the terminals. She's 16, but keeps saying she doesn't want to get her license right now, so if she doesn't change her mind by her 17th birthday, I'll take her to get a state ID. There are some places that will accept a school ID, but it isn't considered a good ID if one needs to prove their age. In fact, when I went through training to serve liquor at the Rose Bowl game, we were told not to accept a student ID for proof of age. So taking the SAT, school ID is fine. To buy a drink, it's not.

Purchase your Coliseum and Vatican tickets online. RomeInLimo offers great tours, and has a link to the purchase sites.

It will save you HOURS in port, you go straight to the entrance. That said, just take their high school or college student IDs. I recall that the tickets say 'student', not 'Under 18'. Nobody will be checking birth dates, just that the names match (if that).

My understanding is they changed the policy. Any person under 18 (not just EU, there has been several threads on this) is free for pompeii and academia. They are discounted at sagrada and vatican. Their websites may not have been updated to reflect this. I think i will bring copies of the passports and if they don't accept that i guess i will pay full price. I don't want to take them out from the ship safe. Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

In Europe I believe the most accepted form of student ID is the International Student Identity Card, ISIC. It costs $23 and I think there is still an ISIC office in south Florida (Doral?, Miami?) where you can get them issued on the spot. US school ID cards may or may not recognized in Europe. They do make a distinction between 'student' tickets/prices and 'youth' tickets/prices. For one you must have an accepted student ID, for the other just proof of age.

Eta-ID cards that have a photo, include an expiration date, and contain the same information as the ISIC are probably more likely to be accepted.

Edited by cherylandtk

• 3 weeks later...

Use the link on the RomeInLimo website to pre-purchase tickets for the Vatican, Colliseum and other venues. Saves HOURS.

The 'student' tickets cover primary and university students, so your kids should easily be classified as eligible. Copy of the passport and/or student ID is plenty. Not even need a birthdate, just some affiliation to a school with their name and photo.

Nobody is checking birthdates; we zoomed through the checkin with seniors, adults and teenagers, barely even slowed down. They were more interested in beeping the barcode on the tickets than anything else.

Under 16 requires NO photo ID...BC is fine.

Do you even read the thread before you offer advice that doesn't apply and only serves to increase your post count?

The OP is not asking what is needed to board the ship, but rather what ID is needed to get student or youth discounts on admission at tourist attractions in Europe.

Edited by DonnaK

Note the above post. We've encountered that with "senior discounts"...they only apply to citizens of that country (or EU in Europe)

YMMV. It pays to ask for the discount . . . Red Star Line Museum in Antwerp and Stadt Museums in Trier gave Senior discount without even asking for proof. It helps to look your age and ask in a language, other than English, spoken in the EU ;).