Summit guest relations and empty cabins

clojacks

We recently returned from our first Celebrity cruise after 10 cruises previously on a variety of other lines. We were really excited to give Celebrity a try as our "perception" was that it was considered by most to be a premium experience compared to the most of the other mass lines and probably the closest we were going to get to sailing on a true luxury ship. We actually booked very late and close to the sailing date as we hadn't planned on sailing this spring, but the Midwestern winter got to us. Consequently, we booked a oceanview cabin (we ALWAYS book balcony's) because it was all that was still available on the Summit, and as we later found out, at a hugely steeper price than those who had prepared and booked their Concierge and Aqua cabins months earlier. That was lesson number one.

The days leading up to our cruise saw the Eastern US get pounded by weather that totally disrupted air travel across much of the country, leading to many travelers not being able to make connections to get to a previously sold out ship as it was sailing out of San Juan. I sympathetically viewed this as an opportunity to possibly see if some of the cabins sailing now vacant would be a balcony, that we originally had hoped to book anyway. To make a long story short, over the first 3 days of the cruise, where it was absolutely noticeable that a significant number of passengers HAD NOT made it to San Juan, I decided to inquire about open cabin or upgrade possibilities. For 3 days I received numerous dissimilar responses, indifferent looks, and general malaise from the guest relations staff. On the 3rd day of a 7 day cruise I was "offered" a concierge class "upgrade" for $250. We were told that there were others who would take this cabin if we didn't want it.

We decided to take it, but at a final total price that we could have booked a suite for on the same cruise the following year. I know it was our decision to make, and we did it for the relaxation we get of having our own balcony to enjoy in the mornings and evenings, but my experience with the staff at the Guest Relations desk will probably taint my Celebrity opinion forever. Upon departure, I wrote 3 pages of my experience on our comment card ( I even had to get a stapler from Guest Relations), WITH my email address and phone number fully realizing I will never hear a word from Celebrity. All in all, my original perception of Celebrity as being a premiere line was debunked, and I can't say that I would categorize them any differently than I would Princess or Royal. Just my 10 cents.

Oh, and lastly, my understanding is there were well over 130 passengers who were not able to make it to San Juan, to what for 2 days, Celebrity was calling a completely full ship....

We recently returned from our first Celebrity cruise after 10 cruises previously on a variety of other lines. We were really excited to give Celebrity a try as our "perception" was that it was considered by most to be a premium experience compared to the most of the other mass lines and probably the closest we were going to get to sailing on a true luxury ship. We actually booked very late and close to the sailing date as we hadn't planned on sailing this spring, but the Midwestern winter got to us. Consequently, we booked a oceanview cabin (we ALWAYS book balcony's) because it was all that was still available on the Summit, and as we later found out, at a hugely steeper price than those who had prepared and booked their Concierge and Aqua cabins months earlier. That was lesson number one.

The days leading up to our cruise saw the Eastern US get pounded by weather that totally disrupted air travel across much of the country, leading to many travelers not being able to make connections to get to a previously sold out ship as it was sailing out of San Juan. I sympathetically viewed this as an opportunity to possibly see if some of the cabins sailing now vacant would be a balcony, that we originally had hoped to book anyway. To make a long story short, over the first 3 days of the cruise, where it was absolutely noticeable that a significant number of passengers HAD NOT made it to San Juan, I decided to inquire about open cabin or upgrade possibilities. For 3 days I received numerous dissimilar responses, indifferent looks, and general malaise from the guest relations staff. On the 3rd day of a 7 day cruise I was "offered" a concierge class "upgrade" for $250. We were told that there were others who would take this cabin if we didn't want it.

We decided to take it, but at a final total price that we could have booked a suite for on the same cruise the following year. I know it was our decision to make, and we did it for the relaxation we get of having our own balcony to enjoy in the mornings and evenings, but my experience with the staff at the Guest Relations desk will probably taint my Celebrity opinion forever. Upon departure, I wrote 3 pages of my experience on our comment card ( I even had to get a stapler from Guest Relations), WITH my email address and phone number fully realizing I will never hear a word from Celebrity. All in all, my original perception of Celebrity as being a premiere line was debunked, and I can't say that I would categorize them any differently than I would Princess or Royal. Just my 10 cents.

Oh, and lastly, my understanding is there were well over 130 passengers who were not able to make it to San Juan, to what for 2 days, Celebrity was calling a completely full ship....

The passengers who missed their ship are free to re-join the ship as soon as they are capable. Which room do you suggest that they put you in? Because I know if I went through being stranded in an airport with a snowstorm and finally made it to my destination only to find you in my bed I would go out of my mind.....

None of the other cruise lines would have offered up a paying passenger's room either........And Since Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are held by the same parent company I am guessing you wouldn't like their policy either.......

Have fun on Princess.....

Edited by cherylroslyn

There were a substantial number who had indicated on the Summit's roll call, that they had already contacted Celebrity in the day or 2 previous to the sailing that they were going to be unable to make it to ANY port to catch up. I believe my main dissatisfaction was that the guest relations did not have one standard response or protocol...not even a "wait list" was offered as a way to avoid having to return the desk if still interested.

I won't begin to try to address your perception, but I will offer insight into the behavior. They CANNOT give you someone's cabin if there's a chance they'll show up at a subsequent port. Sure, they didn't make departure at the home port, but that doesn't mean they won't show up at a subsequent port.

If I missed my departure because of weather, then when I caught up with the ship, found that ship staff had let someone grab my cabin I had picked months in advance because they were angling for a freebie upgrade, I would be *livid*. Celebrity is obligated to hold onto those cabins because the passenger may make it to a subsequent port, and they have to provide a cabin to them.

Regarding pricing, that's a common complaint anywhere you have perishable inventory (be it a hotel room, a cruise cabin, or an airline seat). The goal of yield management is to extract as much money as possible for the commodity. Bargain hunters fall into one of two categories: Either you book when it opens and then keep an eye on price drops, or you gamble and book last minute.

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed, but two things to consider:

-- Although it is more upscale than RC or Carnival, X really is a mass-market cruiseline (part of the RCCL family).

-- Whether they ever showed up or not, those passengers paid in full for those cabins; it's not like a hotel, where they give your reserved room away if you don't show up by a certain time.

If you are so inclined to give X another try, you might want to research cabins and itineraries -- maybe consult with a trusted travel agent, and book far enough in advance to get what you really want. Good luck! :cool:

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed, but two things to consider:

-- Although it is more upscale than RC or Carnival, X really is a mass-market cruiseline (part of the RCCL family).

-- Whether they ever showed up or not, those passengers paid in full for those cabins; it's not like a hotel, where they give your reserved room away if you don't show up by a certain time.

If you are so inclined to give X another try, you might want to research cabins and itineraries -- maybe consult with a trusted travel agent, and book far enough in advance to get what you really want. Good luck! :cool:

As I mentioned previously, I know from following the Roll Call, that a number of passengers stated in there that they HAD contacted Celebrity to inform them they would not make it to ANY port. However, in defense of Celebrity, I don't know factually when they actually contacted Celebrity, but if I had a cruise I paid for that I knew I wasn't going to get to, I would start the wheels turning as soon as possible in case I was eligible for any rebooking or insurance refund.

The appearance of the lack of any standard protocol in dealing with similar issues, which with the weather patterns becoming as wild as they are, are not unusual, made the guest relations seem very second rate and unconcerned. I find it hard to believe that corporate headquarters can't contact the ship at sailaway and confirm that "X" number of passengers contacted them to say they would not be making it. I can't believe that every guest relations desk doesn't have a waiting list for any passenger hoping to upgrade, free or paid, when they board if possible.

I've heard complaints like these in the past and can understand your frustration. We love Celebrity but they lack in 2 areas from what I can see. Customer Service pre-cruise and Guest Relations. Once in a while you'll find a good one, but the the consensus seems to be these areas need some work.

I'm not saying they should have given you a new cabin, but they could have handled it better. This is a nice way to say no or at least we don't know yet.

I still think overall Celebrity is the best of the mass market lines, at least for us. I've always had great service regardless of the lines I've been on, decent food, OK shows, but to me Celebrity puts it all together for a decent price.

Celebrity is nice. It claims it is modern luxury. Not sure what that means. On my last cruise ( Eclipse 14 nights) I asked several people what "modern luxury" is. Nobody could answer. For the price, Celebrity does a nice cruise. Is it luxury? That depends upon your definition.

Modern Luxury is just an advertising slogan. Like Fly the Friendly Skies. Are the skies of United any friendlier than anyone else's skies? Probably not. Or The Real Thing. Or We Try Harder. Just something an advertising office wrote, without ever having been on a ship, most likely. It's bandied about on board, but nobody ever really knows what it means, or what it's supposed to mean.

It beats their previous slogans, Starring You, and "X the Rules".

Watch this space, there will be a new slogan in a few years.

A cruise ship is not a hotel. Most people don't show up hoping for an upgrade whether it's paid or not. People book and pay for specific cabins. You should have booked a cabin category you were comfortable with or not booked at all.

I understand Celebrity knew there were passengers in advance who were not sailing. Again, this isn't a hotel. If the cruise was sold out for those categories, then there were none available. They were all assigned. No show or not.

That's why I book a year or so out. I am cabin picky, and I'll only be happy in a certain cabin type and location. On the M Class ships, I will only book a C1 aft on deck 8 or 7. If its not available on the sailing I want, I don't book.

I think it's pointless to judge any cruise line because they weren't occomodating when you weren't happy with the cabin you chose. It's a live and learn experience.

I have found that if you want a response you must write to the cruise line in a letter, and we also sent a copy to the travel agent we used that time. That is how to get a response. Be factual and stick to the subject.

We still put some comments on the surveys, but it is handled in a bulk way where maybe if the same thing comes up enough they might look into it. They will not reply to surveys as far as I understand. They add up all the scores and compare the running totals. They are not nearly as interested in your comments as you might hope. That is why they give you a tiny area to make comments.

Sometimes the way you approach things with the service desk can make a difference. If you try and call them out on saying the cabins are full and that they are not being straight with you, they may have gotten their back up. Not sure if that might have been part of the problem. We have had some good and some bad service desk staff, but as a person that deals with customers daily I can tell you someone that approaches me with the wrong tone at the wrong time may not get what they want. Or sometimes it is out of my control to do what they want and them getting angry is not going to change that.

As far as the price goes, I have seen people come on these boards with their proposed prices, and they get so much help in regards to whether that is a good deal or not. If you have been on 10 cruises you must have had a feeling it was quite a bit dearer than your expectation and even checking future similar cruises may have helped with regular prices for what you were booking. Or the people you talked to on board were having a bit of fun with you.

Anyhow, I hope you had a good time overall, but if you always go in a balcony, as we have done, then if you book a cabin without balcony, you may find that is what you end up with. It is often said here that you book what you will be happy to accept, and if you get an upgrade then that is a bonus.

Edited by goodycruising

Did you ever think of talking to the hotel manager?

If you wanted an exception to the cruise lines norms due to known cancellations surely a discussion of the exception should have been with someone who had the authority to handle it. The desk staff are not booking agents and should not be expected to have the experience of booking agents nor the authority of the hotel manager.

You were requiring responses from staff that were not trained for the situation you were putting them in, hence the inconsistancy.

Upgrades are discretionary with any cruise line, and that is when they have cabins empty that have not been paid for. The people who cancelled/ missed the cruise probably still had the rights of their cabin as they were paid in full and past the cancellation date. It would be the insurance that covered their loss not Celebrity.

Has the approach you took worked with the other cruise lines you have sailed with?

Cheers, h.

Regarding the price you paid, I've seen it to both ways. In winter of 2012, the prices dropped like a rock after final payment, and people on my roll call were upgrading to CC or AQ for what an interior had previously gone for. Interiors went below $500 for a 7 night on Eclipse. Last year, prices held firm. This year, people who booked later paid double what I did. My summer med cruise is now going for nearly three times what I paid. It is all a matter of supply and demand.

As for the empty cabins, there is no way to know what the people on your roll call actually did with regards to canceling or not. My insurance requires that I try to catch the ship to make a claim. Many of those who didn't make it might have told Celebrity they would try to catch up.

They have no obligation to offer you a new room, even when there are empty rooms, if the room you booked is in working order.

If I missed my ship, I would expect to show up late and find my (booked early and paid for) cabin waiting for me.

I don't really 'get' the OP's complaint except that he didn't get what he wanted.

Did you ever think of talking to the hotel manager?

If you wanted an exception to the cruise lines norms due to known cancellations surely a discussion of the exception should have been with someone who had the authority to handle it. The desk staff are not booking agents and should not be expected to have the experience of booking agents nor the authority of the hotel manager.

You were requiring responses from staff that were not trained for the situation you were putting them in, hence the inconsistancy.

Upgrades are discretionary with any cruise line, and that is when they have cabins empty that have not been paid for. The people who cancelled/ missed the cruise probably still had the rights of their cabin as they were paid in full and past the cancellation date. It would be the insurance that covered their loss not Celebrity.

Has the approach you took worked with the other cruise lines you have sailed with?

Cheers, h.

The OP readily and freely acknowledges that booking earlier while balcony cabins were available WOULD have been the ideal situation. Unfortunately, the OP didn't also have the benefit of a meteorological degree to help him forecast that in Minnesota this winter we were going to experience 25 straight days with below 0 temperatures and 65 days total of sub zero temperatures that contributed to the OP and his DW deciding later than we normally do, AS I MENTIONED EARLIER. Therefore, it appears we violated all rules that some of you seem to suggest we are obligated to follow, and booked a cabin that we thought we would be comfortable in. WE WERE NOT, WE EXPLORED OUR OPTIONS!

What the OP did not expect out of this forum, was the inability of other responders to understand that the OP was suggesting that Guest Services would benefit on their own behalf by having a standardized protocol for dealing with a situation that I am going to assume was not that extraordinary this winter. But the OP greatly underestimated the allegiance of the vast army of true Celebrity supporters who see it as their duty to come to the defense of the mother line at any mention of dissatisfaction with service delivery.

The OP does regret not talking to the Hotel Manager. I think both the OP and he (the HM) would have had a better understanding of the situation if that had happened, and I would have had an opportunity to discuss his Guest Relations person who took it upon herself to argue with my wife over our inquiries and tell her to take it or leave it for someone else.

The OP DID NOT feel that the cruise line "owed" him an upgrade because of our disappointment in our booked cabin, but the OP did expect that the cruise line would have a protocol for handling requests that they most certainly must get on every single cruise.

Thank you for your responses. I don't see the need for me as the OP to visit this particular thread any further as it appears we aren't discussing the same issue.

Edited by clojacks

Since the OP has informed us that they won't be back (while referring to themselves in the 3rd person) I feel free to respond regarding how amusing their posts are.

They wanted a balcony upgrade while on board for nothing (or next to nothing) taking advantage of others misfortune.

It seems clear this was all about being ""offered" a concierge class "upgrade" for $250", instead of just being handed it.

I'd give OP my condolences but they promise not to return.:rolleyes:

Edited by richstowe

Since the OP has informed us that they won't be back (while referring to themselves in the 3rd person) I feel free to respond regarding how amusing their posts are.

They wanted a balcony upgrade while on board for nothing (or next to nothing) taking advantage of others misfortune.

It seems clear this was all about being ""offered" a concierge class "upgrade" for $250", instead of just being handed it.

I'd give OP my condolences but they promise not to return.:rolleyes:

Also, with all of the greedy complaining cruisers out there....who wants to be the person who decided who gets the free upgrades????

So 60 balconies are available and there are 300 ocean view cabins....don't you think all of the people in ocean view cabins want a balcony? Five suites are available and there are 500 balcony residents who want them.

Now imagine the mass chaos and outrage and the rumors spread through the ship of "some people" getting upgrades but not others. Then imagine the line of people at guest relations asking for OBC because their relatives got upgrades and they didn't.

Now imagine all the discussion of who paid what for their oceanview, and the person who paid the highest price for an oceanview was not even given an upgrade....and now they want the difference refunded to them in OBC and specialty dinners.

Now imagine all of the everyday tasks that these people are assigned to make the ship run well, with barely a moment to themselves. Who is doing that work while they are sorting out this mess? Who is supposed to sift through all of the oceanview cabins and decide who is deserving....now you start moving people and you find out...they don't want to be moved...or you call them and offer them the move and they decline the move, but now they want OBC, because their friends took the move but they paid the same price as their friends and now the friends are in a more valuable cabin.

Now you move people to balcony rooms and all of the sudden they don't like the balcony because it is obstructed, or right under the buffet, or right under the pool deck, or too far up front.....now the line at guest relations is thirty people long and the regular business that these hard working people are charged with is not getting done, and no one is happy and everyone is complaining and tempers are flying......

If I am in control of that guest services desk I keep the same sign up that you see on every sailing the first day...."This sailing is full and no upgrades are available". That is never true, there are always a couple rooms reserved for emergencies......but rather than deal with all of the bull stuff associated with trying to please everyone and getting more people pissed, they take the path of least resistance......

Has anyone ever bothered to listen to some of your fellow cruisers down at guest relations........

I wouldn't open that can of worms for all of the money in the world.......

@cherylroslyn Well put! Also everyone needs to keep in mind that we each make our reservation and ate in contol of selecting the cabin that we want or that is within our budget. If you want a particular room pay for it! Let the crew on board do their job. Stop harassing them to give you something for nothing. Keep an eye on price drops and availability before you sail. Once you get on board grab a drink, sit pool side and enjoy the vacation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

@cherylroslyn Well put! Also everyone needs to keep in mind that we each make our reservation and ate in contol of selecting the cabin that we want or that is within our budget. If you want a particular room pay for it! Let the crew on board do their job. Stop harassing them to give you something for nothing. Keep an eye on price drops and availability before you sail. Once you get on board grab a drink, sit pool side and enjoy the vacation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Thanks.... Well put as well:)