Platinum Studio Royal Princess Beware

NeurosurgeryNP

So, we were "encouraged" to have a no obligation sitting with the "photo artist" in the New Platinum studio on the Royal. The pics were to be in Black and white. Session was fun and the photographer was awesome. We made an appointment the next night for a "viewing" and fell absolutely in love with the casual B+W portraits. Then came the price list - the cheapest a la carte photo of an 8X 10 was $175!!!!!!! :eek: The cost to purchase the CD (so we could print them) of the about 10 photos he took was $500!!!!!! :eek: :eek: While we fell in love with these photos, we definitely didn't have this money to throw away. My heart was broken that we couldn't get them but reason came in of course. The photographer stated it was due to the cost of the actual prints on special paper/thick mount that would last forever. This didn't include any framing. Just want to warn you all when approached for this "special sitting."

Someone posted the prices about a month ago. I've wanted to get them done too, but was wary about the cost. After seeing the prices, there's no way I'll be doing that anytime soon. :eek: I just can't justify spending that kind of money on pictures of ourselves and I can't blame you for watching your pennies. If you bought the CD and just a couple 8x10"s, it could equal a whole other cruise! ;)

Just wanted to add that I guess it's not uncommon to spend thousands of dollars a year on professional pictures. My nieces do it and think nothing of it. Of course, they don't vacation like we do either. Everyone has their priorities...

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

While it is a lot of money, it is not out of line with the costs you might see with a premium land based photographer. On land you can easily see digital files going for thousands. If you're used to shopping mall type photography prices, you will be in for one heck of a sticker shock.

Someone just did a review on this experience within the last week I think.

They paid $1800 for their photos and were very happy.

I found it....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1978144&highlight=platinum+review

THANKS for the link. It appears the OP of that review was on Sapphire Princess, so it appears that it's not just on Royal Princess but most likely at all Platinum Studios fleet wide?

:confused:

Did you view them on a computer or were they the actual prints? I can imagine all the prints thrown away after each cruise. Wow is right..That's a whole cruise right there. There are always people more than happy to snap your pic all over the ship.

Did you view them on a computer or were they the actual prints? I can imagine all the prints thrown away after each cruise. Wow is right..That's a whole cruise right there. There are always people more than happy to snap your pic all over the ship.

Read the review in Post #7 from Sapphire Princess. It's done the same way in the Platinum Studio on Royal Princess. There's a big difference between that of the ships photographers shooting pictures of you in front a backdrop of the Titanic staircase or a moonset with a cold drink in your hand, and that of what the Platinum Studios produce. And some people see the value in the art that they create. Just like some who can see the value in booking the biggest suite versus and those that would rather book an inside cabin.

Note in the final paragraph of that linked review the OP says "Overall, we are very satisfied with the Platinum Studio products and experience."

;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

So, we were "encouraged" to have a no obligation sitting with the "photo artist" in the New Platinum studio on the Royal. The pics were to be in Black and white. Session was fun and the photographer was awesome. We made an appointment the next night for a "viewing" and fell absolutely in love with the casual B+W portraits. Then came the price list - the cheapest a la carte photo of an 8X 10 was $175!!!!!!! :eek: The cost to purchase the CD (so we could print them) of the about 10 photos he took was $500!!!!!! :eek: :eek: While we fell in love with these photos, we definitely didn't have this money to throw away. My heart was broken that we couldn't get them but reason came in of course. The photographer stated it was due to the cost of the actual prints on special paper/thick mount that would last forever. This didn't include any framing. Just want to warn you all when approached for this "special sitting."

Find a local photographer and get some pictures done. Or even score a deal on Groupon. The photos will not be any less special because they were not taken on a cruise ship on printed on paper with specs of gold :rolleyes:

As noted, this is not out of line with a high quality land photographer. Back in the 90s, my old boss used to charge a sitting fee of $200 alone, but the prints were cheaper. Here, they are factoring the fee into the cost. As long as the photog can do the right level of work, its reasonable price.

I could see it more for special occasion cruises like weddings, etc, as opposed to more casual/frequent cruisers who will probably be happy with the standard stuff.

We just had these done on the Sapphire with Rachel. I knew up front what the $$$ would be.

Since we were celebrating our 40th anniversary and did the vow renewal...we splurged. DH was very reluctant but he was also glad we decided to do it.

They turned out great:)

As some others have stated I don't think the pricing is unreasonable for a professional sitting. Sounds like they do a great job. If you can't afford it then there are other photo venues.

I'm not a business person, but wouldn't it increase sales to lower the prices? Is it better to sell one at $185 or five at $100?

That makes sense however....

Maybe they don't need to lower the prices, maybe they are selling well.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'm not a business person, but wouldn't it increase sales to lower the prices? Is it better to sell one at $185 or five at $100?

Volume...yes, you make perfect sense. But, maybe in their situation it works better this way.

Either way, it's all about PRIORITIES. If you consider this a priority, then the price is reasonable. If you consider a suite a priority, then that price is reasonable too. Everyone has their own idea of what "reasonable" means in relation to what they want. ;)

I'm sure they are using a photographer who knows their stuff, how to make the subjects feel at ease and to capture that 'look!' It isn't like the shots they take as you board, step off at a port, or sit at a meal.

My daughter will be graduating this spring with a degree in commercial photography and these prices are not out of line for the work that is done.

Maybe Princess needs to place the price out there up front. They could put a comparison of what this would cost on land at a reputable studio too. Then maybe people would understand the cost.

Then on the other hand, if people know what the cost is, they wouldn't get as many to have a sitting and see what magic can be done with a camera, a good eye and great photographer.

Since we have a daughter who will do this for us, we wouldn't thing of taking money we could give her and give it to an outsider. . .

If we didn't have her, we would maybe do this for a special anniversary or occasion.