Check your credit card statements

wwcruisers

I never had this happen on a cruise, but had it happen several times in hotels. Ok it is usually a small amount, however pretty annoying when you stand at the reception and have to justify yourself that it was not you that took that drink.

BTW it is always just the one drink. I feel it is probably miscounted on the guest who had the room before me or it is the cleaners that take it.

I wonder how many times it happens to people who's credit card is not in $US? With exchange rates by either the cruise line or your credit card company, plus the extra fun fees we get from the credit card company for using an OS company, there is no way we could tell if there was an extra small charge before the conversion.

Last cruise we paid out the bill last day in cash, so that would make it more obvious. I don't think I would sit on the phone for the kind of hold times that seem to be happening lately for a small charge, but the annoyance of it happening I totally understand. Wrong is wrong.

I haven't even cruised with X yet, but have had an unexpected & unexplained $4.83 added as amount owing AFTER I had made final payment 3 weeks before the due date. I had received an email stating Balance Owing 0, completed online check-in and printed our XPress Pass, then just happened to check back and saw this extra almost $5 added as Balance Owing. I quickly paid it, plus all the added currency conversion/cross-border/international fees for using a credit card, as I did not want a hassle before boarding in Sydney in April. It's only equivalent to the price of a cup of coffee, but very puzzling to be added 12 months after I booked in January 2013. We never use the mini-bar drinks or snacks, but will expect a further discrepancy there. Bemused Susan.

I have had it happen on RCI with bottled water, and it's irritating. We had purchased one of their water packages, and the bottles are identical to the liter bottles that are part of the mini-bar. Even though we showed the "mini-bar checker" where our water was and where their water was, we kept getting charged. I thought all was finally resolved, but then lo and behold we woke up on the last morning with a water charge added to our final bill. It's not the $ amount, it's the aggravation and the annoyance.

You really get this worked up over $5.18? Wow.

I think it's more about the fact that it seems to happen repeatedly with X and RCI. If you think about the number of people it might happen to who never even notice, the amount could be pretty staggering in RCCL's favor.

Suzanne

It's always a good idea check your credit card billing. I always check ours, both before and after a cruise, with the online option to do so. ;)

For our next cruise, on Serenade of the Seas, RCCL Choice Air billed our VISA $5 more than the invoice amount for our return flight from Barcelona. This was done as a separate booking and we had a separate invoice for the air portion so there wasn't any other charges showing on that invoice to confuse matters as we had booked the cruise onboard the recent Century cruise we did with you. Some may say it's only a small amount and a quick email to Choice Air got us a refund to our VISA but they never did send a reply to our email to indicate that this was an error on their part and that a refund would be issued. IMO, this really shouldn't have happen but my take on this is someone keyed in the wrong amount for billing but, like your billing error, it was still a hassle for us, the cruisers to correct.:(

I agree with your sentiment re the stocked mini-bars on RCCL ships. Princess cruises doesn't do this and it was great on the Ruby Princess cruise we did right prior to our Century one to have an empty mini-frig in our cabin and not having the hassle of getting this emptied like we had to do on Century.

Edited by robtulipe

Well, when the charges for any missing items get charged to credit card of the room's last passenger -- by default -- the flaws in the system do inure to the cruiseline's benefit. Just an observation ...

Right, Celebrity is going to make millions 5.18 at a time. Why is it that even legitimate errors turn into conspiracies? I would think if this could ever be properly analyzed Celebrity probably comes out on the short end of the stick. For every minibar charge added my guess is there are many legitimate charges that are overlooked.

I guess it is sort of a glass half empty/ glass half full situation. You apparenantly feel that Celebrity is out to get you and I think they are a business using normal business practices to collect for a service rendered.

BTW I imagine many people enjoy the immediacy of the mini bar or Celebrity wouldn't bother with them. So your suggestion that the mini bar be removed entirely would possibly upset other cruisers. Again be careful what you wish for.

I never had this happen on a cruise, but had it happen several times in hotels. Ok it is usually a small amount, however pretty annoying when you stand at the reception and have to justify yourself that it was not you that took that drink.

BTW it is always just the one drink. I feel it is probably miscounted on the guest who had the room before me or it is the cleaners that take it.

To me a simpler solution is to just dispute the charge with my CC company. They have this service automated and it literally takes seconds to do. The charge is reversed and investigated. While it is investigated the credit remains on your account.

I have only had to do this a few times but in each case when the amount was small, like $5.18, the biller never even responded and the case was closed with the credit remaining. Very simple solution, if your card issuer doesn't offer this service my be time to rethink your card.

One more point to all you conspiracy theorists. You don't have to use a CC simply make it a cash account and pay as you go. I have done this many times and works very well. No CC then there can never be any after the cruise charges.:):) Gee I wonder how many cash account payers walk off with one last mini bottle?

One more point to all you conspiracy theorists. You don't have to use a CC simply make it a cash account and pay as you go. I have done this many times and works very well. No CC then there can never be any after the cruise charges.:):) Gee I wonder how many cash account payers walk off with one last mini bottle?

I don't think there are any as the fridge is usually locked the night before. That is when the attendant takes inventory. During disembarkation process when you hear someone's name over the PA it is usually because they have a unpaid charge on their cash folio. This has to be settled before they are allowed to leave the ship.

🍻🍸

I would think the phone call charges for sorting this out would be more than the overcharge! Annoying I agree but taking your time and the telephone charges into consideration are you sure it's worth it!

We do this because for this reason and also we are Cdn and have had our credit card billing converted to $CAD by X and RCI contrary to our indication on the setsail pass when checking in.

I don't think there are any as the fridge is usually locked the night before. That is when the attendant takes inventory. During disembarkation process when you hear someone's name over the PA it is usually because they have a unpaid charge on their cash folio. This has to be settled before they are allowed to leave the ship.

RCCL ships don't always page or notify you if you have a cash account with a outstanding balance account they simply stop you from disembarking. I've had this happen to me on a RCI for a very late billing of a couple of dollars that didn't show on our final invoice that was delivered to our cabin and showed we had a zero balance. Not only did that happen when I initially tried to get off the ship, after DW had gone through the final check out so she and friends with whom we were travelling home with were already off. I went back to GS and they cleared the billing error, but when I again tried to disembark I still wasn't cleared to do so. Back again to GS and they assured me it was OK to disembark. Guess what, security again stop me from getting off in spite of my protest and that they should call GS even going as far as saying they would have US border protection arrest me if I got off without their permission. :eek:

It finally took me demanding that I be able to speak to their supervisor before that supervisor allowed me off the ship even though their crappy system still was showing I was still not allow to disembark. This took almost an hour all for a few $ charge. I wrote to RCI about this and guess what they never replied to my complaint.:(

After this incident I avoided RCI cruises for three years and only took an RCI cruise a year ago when it was the only cruise itinerary that met our needs for the Australia/NZ cruise we did last year. After our recent very unsatisfactory Century cruise we now have booked our second RCI in four years but in the future Princess will be our cruise line of first choice.

Edited by robtulipe

Hi Rob! On our next cruise, we have the bev. package, and we're planning to switch our dining to Select. Since our onboard account tab shouldn't be much, with drinks/grats prepaid -- we were thinking about going with a cash account. Thanks for the warning. We don't mind standing in line at GR, on the last evening to close out our account. But, the sort of delay you describe could result in missing our flights -- so, maybe not such a good idea. :eek:

PS -- It was nice to meet you, on our Century cruise! :)

We do this because for this reason and also we are Cdn and have had our credit card billing converted to $CAD by X and RCI contrary to our indication on the setsail pass when checking in.

Although we travel with a US$ credit card -- and indicate clearly that we do not want the balance to be converted -- I always try to close out my on board account with US cash just in case.

Some folks may not realize that in the case of a credit card refund, if the amount has been converted from US$ to CDN$, the card holder does not necessarily recover the full amount (because the buy/sell rates are different for currency conversion).

I would love to know how many people really buy items from the minibar. I don't think we have ever consumed minibar items in our 20 years of traveling. Why don't they just have forms you can fill out and be charged for items to be delivered to the room either ahead of time or during the cruise? Seems like that would save a lot of manpower constantly stocking and rechecking each and every minibar. While we have not had erroneous minibar charges that I can remember, on our recent Summit B2B we had several mysterious internet charges for several dollars. We had to call and get them removed but didn't bother with the last erroneous charge posted of around 50 cents.

I would love to know how many people really buy items from the minibar. I don't think we have ever consumed minibar items in our 20 years of traveling. Why don't they just have forms you can fill out and be charged for items to be delivered to the room either ahead of time or during the cruise? Seems like that would save a lot of manpower constantly stocking and rechecking each and every minibar. While we have not had erroneous minibar charges that I can remember, on our recent Summit B2B we had several mysterious internet charges for several dollars. We had to call and get them removed but didn't bother with the last erroneous charge posted of around 50 cents.

I buy sodas from the minibar, I think they are the same price as walking to a bar.

I buy sodas from the minibar, I think they are the same price as walking to a bar.

Hi Oville,

How are you ? Hope all is well. You are correct, it's the same price.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree, and I do not see the OP as "worked up". They are sharing their experiences, and that's always welcome. IMO, It's not about $5.18. It's about being rightfully charged for services / items you've actually purchased.

With that said, I'm confident it's a simple error, and should be easily resolved with a phone call to Celebrity. It's happened to us on a couple of occasions, and each time, it was immediately and courteously resolved.

On 2 recent cruises, the credit card bill was not the same as my statement. Each time it was less than $10. I almost did not catch it. I now keep all travel statements until my credit card statement arrives. Each time there was a problem, I called Celebrity, sat on hold a very long time, and did get the charges reversed. Each time, the agent said that it was for items taken from the minibar. I never open it. The agent said that it happens all the time. Either the cabin stewards are dishonest or Celebrity cannot keep their accounts straight. During cruises I have often caught mistakes. Annoying. I would hate to think that Celebrity accounts is adding charges. Something is wrong. Celebrity needs a better accounting system. I would like it if the minibars were locked unless you request it to be opened. That way, if I did not authorize it to be open, I am not responsible for the contents.

On 2 recent cruises, the credit card bill was not the same as my statement. Each time it was less than $10. I almost did not catch it. I now keep all travel statements until my credit card statement arrives. Each time there was a problem, I called Celebrity, sat on hold a very long time, and did get the charges reversed. Each time, the agent said that it was for items taken from the minibar. I never open it. The agent said that it happens all the time. Either the cabin stewards are dishonest or Celebrity cannot keep their accounts straight. During cruises I have often caught mistakes. Annoying. I would hate to think that Celebrity accounts is adding charges. Something is wrong. Celebrity needs a better accounting system. I would like it if the minibars were locked unless you request it to be opened. That way, if I did not authorize it to be open, I am not responsible for the contents.

Personally, I'd rather they go in the opposite direction, and leave them open and empty. You could then ask for the fridge to be filled with your desired items, upon request. This would dramatically reduce the possibity of accounting errors from the Mini-Bar, which seem to be one of the more frequent causes of the errors.

Personally, I'd rather they go in the opposite direction, and leave them open and empty. You could then ask for the fridge to be filled with your desired items, upon request. This would dramatically reduce the possibity of accounting errors from the Mini-Bar, which seem to be one of the more frequent causes of the errors.

Years ago on Carnival the room steward was responsible for restocking the mini bar. He/she would fill out a form and leave it in the stateroom for the guest to sign anytime they restocked the bar which was daily. That cuts down on issues like this. Not sure if they still do it this way as it's been a long time since I cruised Carnival.

I called yesterday because the amount charged on my card was not what the final statement was for a cruise that ended on Saturday.

Rep said (after waiting on hold for 20 - 25 minutes) ,final accounting wasn't in and I would have to wait a few more days for an explanation.

I've said it before, I'm glad the on-board Celebrity experience is better then the off-board one. :rolleyes:

Think of how much money they must make this way.......

For every 100 cruisers probably only 2 or 3 will notice and/or call.......

I've had it happen to me too.......and I have never drank an item out of a mini-bar in my life......

I would call you paranoid but the 3 times the amount has been wrong on our cruises , it has always been wrong in their favour. :mad:

I was on the constellation a week ago and because I had the drink package, the only charge I expected was gratuities and a bottle we bought on board. I checked my CC statement today to make sure the charges were correct and to see if I got a deposit back for another cruise I cancelled and noticed that the charge for the last cruise was $9.08 higher. I called and was on hold for about 13 minutes. Yep, it was a charge that posted on disembarkation day and guess what! It was a mini-bar charge! Even the guy said it was probably a mistake since he could see we had the drink package in our statement. I should receive a refund within 3-5 business days.

Hi Oville,

How are you ? Hope all is well. You are correct, it's the same price.

Hi Andy, I'm great. Headed off tomorrow to FLL, sailing Sat. on the Reflection followed by the Connie.

Hope all is well w/ your family.

I was pretty sure sodas and beers were the same price, thanks.

Katie

Edited by Oville

What is proper protocol on asking the steward to empty the fridge? Can I ask this when I first meet him/her? Or is it more polite to wait until the chaos of boarding has died down?

I regret we didn't do this last cruise. This way I can have my diet soda caffeine fix first thing!

We just returned from the Reflection and while on board had two errors on our account.

The first was a $143 spa charge which was not ours. A trip to the desk and the charge was removed within two hours.

The second was very silly. It was a $2.00 charge in Cellar Masters. On my first trip back to the desk, the agent said it was obviously an error because nothing sells for $2 in Cellar Masters. I thought it would be handled in a similar manner to the first but after it wasn't removed in half a day, I went back. I was told that they had sent an email to Cellar Masters to investigate and remove but nothing happened.

A day later, I made my third trip to guest relations over the $2 charge and asked to speak to someone who was empowered to issue a credit. It was issued immediately and walked back to accounting. I wonder why that couldn't happen on the first visit?

Mike in Ohio

What is proper protocol on asking the steward to empty the fridge? Can I ask this when I first meet him/her? Or is it more polite to wait until the chaos of boarding has died down?

I regret we didn't do this last cruise. This way I can have my diet soda caffeine fix first thing!

Hi Shoelover,

You can certainly ask on Day 1, but I'd wait until the next morning to make the request. Day 1 is a massive challenge for them. Hope this helps !