Where to go when you first get on the ship?

Hey CC members,

Going on the Liberty of the seas later this year, and will be spending the night before at a hotel then arriving on the boat probably about 10:30-11 hopefully. In my past cruises ( 2 carnival and one NCL) they always sort of directed you to the main buffet areas and they are super crowded, or people was all over the main lobby area. Does anybody know if any of the other places to eat at are open when they start letting passengers on board? I am talking about the free to eat places.

I like to go visit my room as soon as they let me in but sometimes of course it is not open to me yet. Then when I can get in my room I usually like to hang out in my rooms balcony while we are taking off and before we have to do the safety drills, but I guess i am looking for is another place to maybe eat a bite and not feel overran at the main buffet. Basically anybody have any suggestions of places to hang out at when they first get on board? My boat is the liberty of the seas if that matters.

Edited by rageagainstjg

Instead of heading to the Windjammer buffet with everyone else, you can head to Sorrento's on the Royal Promenade and get some pizza, a panini, pasta salad, or anitpasta items.

You can also get some pre-made deli sandwiches along with cookies and cakes at the Cafe Promenade

Edited by UCF_Knight

Hey CC members,

Going on the Liberty of the seas later this year, and will be spending the night before at a hotel then arriving on the boat probably about 10:30-11 hopefully. In my past cruises ( 2 carnival and one NCL) they always sort of directed you to the main buffet areas and they are super crowded, or people was all over the main lobby area. Does anybody know if any of the other places to eat at are open when they start letting passengers on board? I am talking about the free to eat places.

I like to go visit my room as soon as they let me in but sometimes of course it is not open to me yet. Then when I can get in my room I usually like to hang out in my rooms balcony while we are taking off and before we have to do the safety drills, but I guess i am looking for is another place to maybe eat a bite and not feel overran at the main buffet. Basically anybody have any suggestions of places to hang out at when they first get on board? My boat is the liberty of the seas if that matters.

Been on the Liberty twice...as others have said, go to the Cafe Promenade on deck 5..after that, you can hang out on the royal promenade itself..try the British Pub- you can sit outside and people watch...cabins should be ready at 1- 1:30..also the Champagne Bar ( also on Royal P..)..Pharaoh's Palace on deck 5, Schooner Bar on deck 4 or the Viking Crown Lounge on deck 14..to go outside, try the Sky Bar on deck 12- great views and if it's a nice day, great place to be...you will be seeing these places on your cruise, so it's a good idea to go see where they are anyway...don't miss:

Ice- skating show

Saturday Night Fever

In The Air show

70's retro disco party in the Royal Promenade

Sitting in the canti-levered hot tubs in Adult Solarium ( sea days are best-amazing views!)

Drink in the Viking Crown Lounge at night ( great ambiance)

British Pub 60's/70's/ 80's singer - lots of fun

Have a great cruise- I'm jealous!!

I wouldn't be at all hesitant to go to the Windjammer.

We just sailed the Liberty in January, and there was not that much of a crowd at all. We didn't get on board until about 12:15, and even stopped in the MDR to see our table assignment before going to the Windjammer. We were able to find a table immediately, and there was virtually no lines for the food.

We ate at the Park Café twice during the cruise, and weren't impressed either time. The sandwiches were just OK, and the cookies were like rocks.

Sorrento's, on the other hand, was very good.

If you really don't want to go to the Windjammer for lunch, I would recommend Sorrento's over the Park.

Cabins weren't scheduled to be ready until 1:30, and there was no opening the doors early.

If we get on before we are allowed to enter our room, what can we do with carry-on luggage. Could be a little heavy and don't want to lug it around for an hour or 2.

What are you carrying on that is so heavy? Check everything when you get to the terminal and it is delivered to your room. Just carry things like electronics and medications with you, maybe a change of clothes if you want to swim. There is no place to leave it when you board, it goes everywhere you do. Many people carry a backpack, I carry a beach bag. It is hard to explore a ship when you are trying to maneuver luggage and thousands of boarding guests at the same time.

Edited by dacsmom

On Freedom Class, including Liberty, grab a table at the Promenade Cafe and grab a cup of coffee or tea, a little sandwich or dessert. If there are two of you, one of you can head down to Sorrentos and grab pizza and bring it back. You're close to where everyone comes onboard, so it's just fun to watch the masses!

Or, if you're so inclined, head for the Pub and your first round. Sorrentos will be directly across.

I wear my swimsuit under my clothes, and I head to the pool! I don't know why everyone's first activity is eating....oh, well!

Because they are hungry? I typically don't eat breakfast, and am hungry around early lunch time, which is when we usually get to the pier.

To DACSMOM, we will be bringing a couple bottles of Champagne, a six pack of diet coke and maybe our dumbbutt cat to throw overboard once we get to sea. If rooms aren't ready till 1:30, may delay getting to pier so early. ;)

Tie the six pack of coke to the cat and let him earn his keep and you will have no problem carrying everything. Just kidding, I love cats and have several myself. Have a great cruise :).

We arrive at port around 10:30, board as early as possible. Lunch in the WJ, then we stop by the MDR to see where out table is. Walk around a little more and usually end up sitting around the pool with our friends enjoying a few cocktails in the sun.

We've never sailed on Allure before though, and with so many different dining options, who knows.

Here's a question...on Allure or Oasis, other than the obvious places (WJ and Promenade Cafe') where can you grab a bite to eat after boarding the ship?

To DACSMOM, we will be bringing a couple bottles of Champagne, a six pack of diet coke and maybe our dumbbutt cat to throw overboard once we get to sea. If rooms aren't ready till 1:30, may delay getting to pier so early. ;)

I thought you weren't allowed to bring alcohol on board??. I read somewhere they will confiscate it when you try to board. Reason being they want you to spend money on their drinks.

I thought you weren't allowed to bring alcohol on board??. I read somewhere they will confiscate it when you try to board. Reason being they want you to spend money on their drinks.

You are now allowed to bring two 750ml bottles of wine or champaign on board with you. Beer and booze are still prohibited. This is a newer policy implemented within the last 6 months or so. If you take the bottle to a dining venue you may be subject to a corkage fee.

You are now allowed to bring two 750ml bottles of wine or champaign on board with you. Beer and booze are still prohibited. This is a newer policy implemented within the last 6 months or so. If you take the bottle to a dining venue you may be subject to a corkage fee.

Awesome...that makes me a happy girl :)