Big News about All You Can Drink Package

Frugalist

I don't know about that...

Someone back from a recent cruise in their review described a passenger heading to the bar and getting drinks on the all inclusive package and going back to their table and handing out the drinks to everyone present 8 people in total.

No time limit involved.

It's early days for Princess, they'll figure it out and get their system in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought there's gotta be a better way than to punish everyone for the acts of a few. Not everyone in each sailing adult party is an alcoholic that would be required to purchase these plans. It's really up to the llines to better detect any fraud that may be going on.

Kudos to Princess. I hope some sister lines follow.

AGREED! So many negative nancys and doomsayers!!

I'm happy about the drink package. I will probably just about break even, but I like the idea knowing EXACTLY what I will be spending, and not having to check my account as often.

Or maybe the servers will be told to look the other way and just serve whoever has the card. Perhaps princesses mark up on liquor is so high that they won't care. Obviously I have no idea just guessing like the rest of you.

Of course there's a huge markup. For example, they get $6 for a beer that I buy at home RETAIL for about $1 (which means about $0.50 wholesale). I'm not complaining, that's normal on land, too.

AGREED! So many negative nancys and doomsayers!!

I'm happy about the drink package. I will probably just about break even, but I like the idea knowing EXACTLY what I will be spending, and not having to check my account as often.

THAT is the advantage. The fixed price. I would venture very few people will actually save money (we certainly wouldn't).

Since it's now confirmed that both adults don't need to buy it, can someone please confirm whether or not the KIDS in the same cabin have to buy a drink package?

I just aske: two bartenders and a Jr. Ass't Food and Beverage Manager about this yesterday. On the Emerald Princess, all adults must purchase the Alcohol package, and under 21s must purchase the UKP, even kids in another cabin linked to parents' booking.

Of course, this may change, but they had no received word that it was about to.

Thanks for reinforcing what I have posted for days and been told I was wrong. :)

Yes, there will be abuse, just as people abuse the unlimited brewed coffee on the coffee card, the soda card, etc. Some people feel entitled that as long as they're not "caught," it's OK.

Pam, Will you be on this cruise?, If you are I would enjoy meeting you.

You guys are really something else. I'm sorry I wasted my vacation time posting. Now to get back to my cruise.

I'm sorry you got such a negative response from everyone. I don't think they can help themselves! Enjoy your cruise and thanks for the information!

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who can see the potential problems. You know the bartenders are not going to police the cards for fear of reprisals. There is already rumbling in this thread about sharing...followed by "we will be honest." In the past, people reported trying to peel off the soda stickers to use again. People reported about using a coffee card for years etc. Unless they start serving really watered down drinks, this is not a money maker.

On our Celebrity cruise last year almost everyone had the drink package due to their 1-2-3 promotion. I saw no issues whatsoever; service was quick - not having to sign for your drinks canceled out the fact more people were ordering drinks. I asked several bartenders and they all liked the promotion and the drink packages. I also do not recall seeing any one over-indulging (besides me of course).

One time my wife had forgot her room key - i had just ordered a drink and tried to order her one (not cheating btw we both had the premium package) and the waiter would not let me.

As one poster noted - it was great to order just about anything you wanted and not worry about the cost.

for all the anti-smugglers - this will definitely cut into rum-runners business numbers; surprised you aren't all on board with this one.

My DW informed me about this last evening. I for one am all for the package, even though on the last two cruises we purchased packages, I found that I never hit the price paid.

That said, I like having the bar bill paid for upfront, makes the get off the ship tab a lot less.

Only time I ever had a problem was on a Celebrity, my DW was participating in "the Amazing Race" aboard ship. She wanted a bottle of water, I went to the bar and got her a bottle, guess I ordered a beer prior to a 20 minute hidden rule and they actually charged me for the beer.

I called down to guest services and they made it right. I should mention that my DW had the non-alcohol package, so I wasn't cheating.

People will be people no matter where you are or what you do. The same folks that will abuse the package are the same ones that have to be first in the buffets, save sits for shows, and have to be off the ship before anyone else. After all it is "their" cruise!!!!

Happy Princess made this decision.

That said, I like having the bar bill paid for upfront, makes the get off the ship tab a lot less.

I was under the impression that the charge for the package would be on our folios at the end of the cruise. Is this incorrect? Will my credit card be charged at the beginning of the cruise? for the drink package I really don't care one way or the other but am curious which procedure is followed.

Interesting to see the number of really positives about Drinks Package. Believe me I do like a drink but even on sea days I would find it hard to break even and port days would just slew it into negative category.

Having said that we don't use coffee card nor the soda card, so drink package would only be for alcohol maybe that makes a big difference.

So, 3 beers during the day $18 , cocktail before dinner $8, 2 wines at dinner $15, Cocktail during the show $8 is $49 ....... wait a minute :-)

Seriously though DW is two glasses of wine a day and port days would delete the beers. So not a good deal for us but can see how it could be interesting for some.

Edited by Tedferg

I had the alcohol package on the Royal last week and my son had the unlimited card for soda's and mocktails as he was in my cabin. The alcohol package was $394 all in for the 7 day cruise.

I tried real hard (gave it my best try), but I am not sure if I drank that much value including specialty coffees.

If my wife and I were in the same cabin, we would not have paid the almost $800 for two people for the cruise as there would be no way we both would drink that much.

So for me it would be a benefit to myself and Princess if both adults in the cabin did not have to buy the package. If both my wife and I don't have to buy the package then I will buy it for myself so Princess gets my $400. If both of us would have to buy the package, then I would not buy it and probably not spend $400 on drinks.

For me it is good news and I hope it is true.

We're on the Royal now. Heard from a bartender last night and just confirmed with Passenger Services:

Starting with this cruise, if you want to buy the $49/day unlimited drink package, it is NO LONGER REQUIRED that all of the adults in your stateroom buy the package! I know this will make a lot of you very happy!

On Celebrity they don't make both people purchase a package either , and there isn't any abuse of the system being reported . They have their system down on Celebrity and RCCL

I don't know about that...

Someone back from a recent cruise in their review described a passenger heading to the bar and getting drinks on the all inclusive package and going back to their table and handing out the drinks to everyone present 8 people in total.

No time limit involved.

Probably because nearly everyone on the ship had the drink package. It is a huge promo that Celebrity's had for over a year now, with no end in sight :D

I was under the impression that the charge for the package would be on our folios at the end of the cruise. Is this incorrect? Will my credit card be charged at the beginning of the cruise? for the drink package I really don't care one way or the other but am curious which procedure is followed.

The charge for the package will likely be put on your folio the evening of the day you purchase it.

Your credit card will not be charged until the end of the cruise. (As with any other onboard purchase, a "hold" may be placed on your credit card. This is not a charge, but a reserving of that amount of credit to be actually charged later.)

Edited by caribill