little things you really miss

chelseauk

On our first cruise on the brand spanking new Infinity in May of 2001, the formal night was truly a formal night. The vast majority of men wore tuxedos and the women were dressed to the nines. The table was dressed with about 500 pieces of silver wear, fancy plates and impeccably timed service with everyone served as if they were at a 5 star restaurant. It was amazing. :)

Oh, and I also miss free CAVIAR!!! :eek:

I was wondering what little things do you really miss when on board ?

The things that aren't expensive that we would really like to see celebrity to do for us.

What about you?

On our last cruise on the Silhouette in Aqua class we missed having the standard amenities being automatically provided. We had to ask for ice, ask about the tea, and were provided with forms to request canapés. The canapé forms really irked us because we're very much against wasting paper unnecessarily. In this case we informed our stateroom attendant that even though we would not be filling out the form daily we definitely wanted canapés daily.

We're easy-going and easily pleased but are uncomfortable having to seek out and request items that by definition should be freely provided in our cabin. We were traveling with first-time Celebrity cruisers and we had led them to believe that these comforts were standard with Aqua Class and Celebrity let us down and left us somewhat embarrassed.

I miss my innocence about cruising. There are benefits to knowing the ins and outs but there are also benefits to not knowing anything. When we booked a 7 night in CC on the Summit in 2008 the only thing we knew was we could order as much as we wanted to eat. I guess if you only know 1 thing that is the thing to know. We booked based on advertising. We wanted to be pampered and we were.

Everything was new. I loved my balcony but would not be as happy now as it was only a "regular" balcony. Didn't get OBC but did get a Celebrity robe and was happy as a clam. We loved the food but didn't know it was worse than the years before. No idea if we got a good deal and didn't know how to even tell.

Otherwise, I guess I don't miss much. We used to dress up, tux and all but have since tired of it. Don't really care too much anymore. Food is pretty good and we are happy with Blu or the MDR. Maybe not a s good as before but then I can never trust my memory as things always seen better than they were :)

I do enjoy the larger ships and am so happy Celebrity came out with the S class. Didn't have than wen we started cruising.

enjoy

. . . good quality Cheddar cheese (I'm English so American cheddar when sailing from the UK doesn't impress - sorry but it is nasty)
. . . Canadian cheddar cheese . . .
I'm from Wisconsin, which combined with up-state NY, Vermont and parts of Oregon seem to be the only place where one can get decent cheeses in the US.

I've been to spots in the UK and Canada where there is a wonderful selection of cheese and others where it is pretty dicey.

Reading your posts forced me to the fridge for a nice "slice" of 8YO cheddar (as well as a lovely Italian style hard goat cheese, a wonderful smoked aged provolone, and a small ball of fresh mozz. I'll spoil my dinner! :D)

I'm from Wisconsin, which combined with up-state NY, Vermont and parts of Oregon seem to be the only place where one can get decent cheeses in the US.

I've been to spots in the UK and Canada where there is a wonderful selection of cheese and others where it is pretty dicey.

Reading your posts forced me to the fridge for a nice "slice" of 8YO cheddar (as well as a lovely Italian style hard goat cheese, a wonderful smoked aged provolone, and a small ball of fresh mozz. I'll spoil my dinner! :D)

I know it may be hard for you to believe, but many consider the cheddar from Milton Farms to be the best US cheddar....and it's from Iowa

I miss my innocence about cruising. There are benefits to knowing the ins and outs but there are also benefits to not knowing anything. When we booked a 7 night in CC on the Summit in 2008 the only thing we knew was we could order as much as we wanted to eat. I guess if you only know 1 thing that is the thing to know. We booked based on advertising. We wanted to be pampered and we were.

Everything was new. I loved my balcony but would not be as happy now as it was only a "regular" balcony. Didn't get OBC but did get a Celebrity robe and was happy as a clam. We loved the food but didn't know it was worse than the years before. No idea if we got a good deal and didn't know how to even tell.

Otherwise, I guess I don't miss much. We used to dress up, tux and all but have since tired of it. Don't really care too much anymore. Food is pretty good and we are happy with Blu or the MDR. Maybe not a s good as before but then I can never trust my memory as things always seen better than they were :)

I do enjoy the larger ships and am so happy Celebrity came out with the S class. Didn't have than wen we started cruising.

enjoy

Beat me to it. :p

I miss not knowing anything. :)

I missed my own pillow on our first cruise, now it goes with me wherever I go , sad I know but I just don't sleep properly without it

I missed having a kettle in the room on Equinox last year, this year we are sailing from Southampton so not a problem

And this is the saddest of all, I missed having a laundry room, that lasted all of. 2 mins lol one of the reasons I love celebrity , I don't have to iron hubby's creased shirts

Sorry, but it's the other way for me. I miss Celebrity when I'm at home. Having my bed made, roomed tidied, a chocolate on the pillow with turn down, a cheerful greeting in the hall, good food that I don't have to cook, somebody else cleaning, etc. Why would I miss anything?

Agree with it all plus morning coffee delivered by room service to drink on the balcony:):):)

And this is the saddest of all, I missed having a laundry room, that lasted all of. 2 mins lol one of the reasons I love celebrity , I don't have to iron hubby's creased shirts

I hated having the self-service laundry on Azamara. You feel guilty if you do not use it but it caused very many problems. It amazes me how many people complain that Celebrity does not have then.

[quote name='chelseauk']
For me its crisps, sandwiches, good quality Cheddar cheese (I'm English so American cheddar [B]when sailing from the UK[/B] doesn't impress - sorry but it is nasty) [/quote]

I would think that if the ship is sailing from the UK, most provisions would be supplied by a UK company, i.e. you ARE getting English cheddar, not American, so maybe the problem is simply that the Celebrity doesn't contract for high quality cheese in general. ;)

[quote name='waterbug123']I would think that if the ship is sailing from the UK, most provisions would be supplied by a UK company, i.e. you ARE getting English cheddar, not American, so maybe the problem is simply that the Celebrity doesn't contract for high quality cheese in general. ;)[/quote]

I have not yet sailed from the UK but, except for in the specialty restaurants, the cheese on Celebrity is usually described as "domestic" meaning from the USA. I questioned the description "domestic" mid-Atlantic one year as we had not seen a cow for days.

US-made Cheddar is so disgusting that it's taken 16 of the top 21 places at the currently running World Championships. Strangely, of the remaining 5 spots, none were from the UK.

You'll find there's a deep divide between "Nasty" and "I don't care for it the way some people do". Expert judges, for instance. ;)

Please consider this good-natured ribbing. I've been diagnosed as having cheese-related oppositional defiance disorder. :D Edited by rbsmithpaige

[quote name='Jayneykul']When we were on Century we did a galley tour. We were told to our amazement that the ship was fully loaded with all foodstuffs in Miami for the whole season and that goes for all of the fleet?![/QUOTE]

Obviously incorrect information based on watching what's being loaded at each port. Some food may be shipped by Miami to ports of course, but no they don't carry all meats, vegetables, fruit in Miami.

Thanks for posting that GHStudio. Someone on the tour asked the question do you give local retailers your business in providing foodstuffs (this was in Alaska) the answer was no everything is loaded on in Miami. Im glad to hear that isnt correct. I will have a look what I can see being loaded on in Bermuda on summit in May