Cruise Guilt

StaceySteveDMB

Both the DW and I have worked hard and saved a lot of money over a lot of years to be able to afford the number and quality of the vacations we now take. The next trip will be about 30k and the one after that closer to 50k. Some good investments along the way have certainly helped as well. When we go our children will inherit a lot but they ain't getting it all! As a wise man once said "Fly first class or your children will" We took that statement to heart.

Both the DW and I have worked hard and saved a lot of money over a lot of years to be able to afford the number and quality of the vacations we now take. The next trip will be about 30k and the one after that closer to 50k. Some good investments along the way have certainly helped as well. When we go our children will inherit a lot but they ain't getting it all! As a wise man once said "Fly first class or your children will" We took that statement to heart.

Ive always been a saver, for what's around the corner, whats down the road, what if something bad happens. etc. My guy has helped me to see you can still plan for the what-ifs in life, but enjoy yourself along the way.

So I say, you've earned your happiness, don't feel badly at all.

Does anyone that cruises multiple times a year ever feel guilty .........

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes I do feel a little guilty because I do have friends that would love to cruise but just can't afford it. But I just try and let them know that their turn will come one day.

I never feel quilty. We have worked hard for our money. We have paid our bills, educated our kids and saved for retirement. Now it's our time to enjoy ourselves. When people say "again!", I always answer "somebody has to keep the economy going".

I don't feel guilty, I worked hard at jobs I didn't always like and always lived below my income, so now in retirement I can travel. I'm very frugal and now that I am retired I can spend the time finding great deals and being able to take advantage of deals.

I've learned to just not go into a lot of detail as to my trips, except for the folks I know from cruising, because I have to bite my tongue when the "agains" are snarky. So when the person who stands in front of me drinking a $5 Starbucks, carrying a $300 purse, wearing $500 jewelry, and driving a $50K SUV, wants to say "oh are you taking another trip" , I just smile and say yes I am. They made their choices, I made mine.

I've also had to accept that not everyone wants to travel, some would rather stay at home within their comfort zone, and I have to keep from judging them.

Sure - I would feel guilty if I were spending stolen money to pay for our cruises; or if we only cruised so we could steal from fellow passengers. Since neither is the case: no, I do not feel guilty. We are able to cruise because we lived reasonably modestly during our working lives - while paying for our children's educations - so, unless it is determined that we need to also pay for our grand children's educations, we are not even depriving our children.

In fact, they tell us we should do more for ourselves.

If I couldn't make my rent or mortgage payments I might feel guilty. If I couldn't pay all my bills each month or buy groceries I might feel guilty. If I was frittering away my children's college fund I might feel guilty. But I'm not so I don't feel guilty in the least.

Our friends and family know that we take multiple vacations each year, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when we go on the next one. Perhaps we are fortunate that no one has ever given us the Again response. If they did, I would probably think that it was their problem, not mine.

I do have a bit of cruise guilt. We cruised in January, now have decided to do a TA in September. Maybe we should be saving more to retire. We're both still working at 67 and 62, spent many years raising 5 children and not doing much of anything. Better do it before we can't. We love cruising and seeing new places.

We don't feel guilty because the DH and I have worked hard for everything we have and have never taken anything from anyone financially. Our family and friends know this so we don't get flack from any of them and they are happy for us because they know how much we love to travel. We do take time on all our cruises to stop and say to each other how lucky we are to be able to travel together and always give thanks for the privilege. We never take for granted how blessed/lucky we are.:)

Does anyone that cruises multiple times a year ever feel guilty about it? My wife and I have been on seven cruises since August 2011 and have three more booked before the end of this year. My wife no longer wants to tell anyone about our cruises because people get do jealous and judge us. Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the same problem

I don't feel guilty, I worked hard at jobs I didn't always like and always lived below my income, so now in retirement I can travel. I'm very frugal and now that I am retired I can spend the time finding great deals and being able to take advantage of deals.

I've learned to just not go into a lot of detail as to my trips, except for the folks I know from cruising, because I have to bite my tongue when the "agains" are snarky. So when the person who stands in front of me drinking a $5 Starbucks, carrying a $300 purse, wearing $500 jewelry, and driving a $50K SUV, wants to say "oh are you taking another trip" , I just smile and say yes I am. They made their choices, I made mine.

I've also had to accept that not everyone wants to travel, some would rather stay at home within their comfort zone, and I have to keep from judging them.

I have a friend who doesn't want to travel. Even when I offered to treat him to a weekend in Philly (We live in NY) he was like "no I don't want to go I'll be bored especially if the wifi is crap in the hotel" I really cannot comprehend his unwillingness to travel. He is perfectly content playing computer games alone in his apartment :O

I travel a lot, I started work young and I earn 4 weeks of vacation a year and I can only carry 4 weeks at a time or I loose time. So I use my time, every single second lol, and I'm proud of myself for being able to do so. I usually go with family, my grandparents took their kids on lot of family vacations so my parents and aunts and uncles kept the tradition going, and me and my cousins are in turn keeping it going :)

I read this thread. I was feeling so guilty I called Carnival and booked another cruise this year. Heck if I'm gonna feel guilty i might as well jump in with both feet.

I like the way you think! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is great you all can go more often and I look forward to that time too.

Someone once told me...imagine life is a cafeteria...there is lasagna, pudding pie, steak, soft rolls, there is also dry cold toast and dirty gravey and just junk...should you feel guilty because you put good things on your plate? It is a free choice cafeteria..or in our case..free choice lido.

I believe a little jealousy says,,"I can have that too" amongst our peers.

I just think that proper portions of time, money and encouragement should be given to those with less as equals on the path..just that we have had more fortune.

My grandpa was very poor and made good in a small town/state way. He gave much to his community, church and put a lot of kids through school/college... His dad let too many people keep tabs at the country store...They both gave a lot..they both ended up in heaven and they both had balance learning with money issues..but they both shared alot. So just share some..in some way you feel moves people forward...and then relax and enjoy your good fortune, not rubbing it in peoples noses but sharing "you can too"...My humble opinion...Sarah

PS..My grandpa was not a traveler..he did for business and one month a year in California for my grandma..we are all different.

Edited by sjn911

I think it is great you all can go more often and I look forward to that time too.

Someone once told me...imagine life is a cafeteria...there is lasagna, pudding pie, steak, soft rolls, there is also dry cold toast and dirty gravey and just junk...should you feel guilty because you put good things on your plate? It is a free choice cafeteria..or in our case..free choice lido.

I believe a little jealousy says,,"I can have that too" amongst our peers.

I just think that proper portions of time, money and encouragement should be given to those with less as equals on the path..just that we have had more fortune.

My grandpa was very poor and made good in a small town/state way. He gave much to his community, church and put a lot of kids through school/college... His dad let too many people keep tabs at the country store...They both gave a lot..they both ended up in heaven and they both had balance learning with money issues..but they both shared alot. So just share some..in some way you feel moves people forward...and then relax and enjoy your good fortune, not rubbing it in peoples noses but sharing "you can too"...My humble opinion...Sarah

PS..My grandpa was not a traveler..he did for business and one month a year in California for my grandma..we are all different.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful memories! Your family sounds like very loving and caring people.

Happy Sailing wherever you go!

I don't feel guilty at all. My adult children are constantly telling me that I'm "wasting my money" on cruises every year (we have been cruising twice a year) and my reply is "I'm making memories and living life because tomorrow is never certain." (Two years ago I talked my oldest daughter into cruising with us and she now cruises once a year with us. In May, my youngest adult son will be cruising with us...he's usually the one saying I shouldn't be cruising as much and wasting my money...HA! :D I'll have them all hooked. I'm still trying to talk my oldest son into going with us.) Of course my 5 year old has been hooked since she was 3 and constantly talks about when's our next cruise. I don't see it as money down the drain at all.

Of course I have the co-workers that are constantly giving me the "Again?" lecture and think that's all I do.

It's your life. Do what makes you happy. :)

I'm jealous! :)

I think there's 2 kinds of jealousy. There's the kind like I have where it's lighthearted, wish I could do that too! in which case, there's really no negative emotion involved towards you or for myself and no reason for you to be bothered by it.

Then there's another kind where the person resents that you get to do it and they can't That kind of jealousy is their problem and you shouldn't worry about it.

Edited by NoobCruise

Were pretty young and new to cruising and take one long (2 weeks or so) cruise a year.

In the UK even less people know about cruising and go something along the lines of 'ooo how elegant...must cost a bit' and some of these are people are doing 2 week holidays to Mexico etc.

If we lived stateside and the flights did not cost a bomb it would be certain we would be cruising every school break...lol.

I'm jealous! :)

I think there's 2 kinds of jealousy.

Then there's another kind where the person resents that you get to do it and they can't That kind of jealousy is their problem and you shouldn't worry about it.

My belief is that folks can do anything they choose to do. I spend my money on cruises, but they spend theirs on other things. They may think they can't afford to go, but they can. If they set their mind and finances towards a cruise as their goal, they can meet me on lido! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk