Single Supplements?

POA1

My travel agent a few years ago told me that HAL does offer about 150% pricing on select cabins--usually the inside cabins lower decks. However, the most sought-after cabins are a full 200%. My strategy has been to book the lower priced cabins (if not in a horrible location) and then hope for a paid upgrade chance nearer the sail date.

My other option is to sail on Swan Hellenic which offers me single pricing (as a return customer) of 120-160% depending on cabin location.

In my experience looking at HAL itineraries, it's nearly always the full (200%) supplement if looking at a veranda or higher. It can be less if your friend will consider an inside cabin, and sometimes oceanview cabins will also be less than 200%.

I've seen all the pics of the solo cabins on NCL; they are really tiny and although they are less than a regular cabin, they aren't half as much. I wouldn't book one.

It's all a numbers game anyway. You can sometimes get a good cabin, even at the full supplement, if you catch the timing right -- and it will be less than the "single" cabin... It's best not to get too hung up on the supplement and focus on the bottom line -- what is the actual cost and is it in the budget?

I just returned from a 7-day Caribbean cruise on NCL. The studio cabin cost me $529. I loved it. The cabin isn't nearly as small as I thought it would be, and it is very efficiently designed with a lot of storage. A perk is the studio lounge, exclusive to the studio wing, with refreshments and an espresso machine for free lattes, capuccinos, etc.

I would do it again, but unfortunately it looks like these ships are going only on Caribbean cruises, and I usually go for longer cruises with different itineraries. But when I want to go back to the Caribbean, I will definitely use them again. I'm tired of paying 200% on HAL.

My travel agent a few years ago told me that HAL does offer about 150% pricing on select cabins--usually the inside cabins lower decks.

A few years ago that was correct. The 50% supplement for a single to book an inside was the norm. However, in more recent years that has ended. The norm now is full double for all cabins, with a few rare exceptions.

I've only taken one cruise on Princess, but something they did was give me double credit in their loyalty program for paying a double fare to sail solo. I really appreciated that.

Roz

My travel agent a few years ago told me that HAL does offer about 150% pricing on select cabins--usually the inside cabins lower decks. However, the most sought-after cabins are a full 200%. My strategy has been to book the lower priced cabins (if not in a horrible location) and then hope for a paid upgrade chance nearer the sail date.

My other option is to sail on Swan Hellenic which offers me single pricing (as a return customer) of 120-160% depending on cabin location.

My experiences are similar. On my first HAL cruise I booked an obstructed ocean view at less than the 200% on a less than full sailing and my TA secured an upgrade/upsell to balcony at minimal cost. My upcoming cruise on the Maasdam went from obstructed ocean view to lanai. However, it must be noted that my TA has been in business forever, and she advocates vigorously for her clients.

It has been kind of hit and miss for me. I travel solo and have had some cruises at 200% and some around the 150%. I usually take an inside cabin. My last one with HAL was the 10 day trip to the A,B,C's last November and that was around the 150%, but the ship was not full either, which I think makes a difference. Anything balcony and above always seems to be at the 200% as I do price them out, even if I am doing an inside.

I rarely pay attention to the percentage of solo supplements, though the rare occasion of waiving the solo supplement will certainly grab my attention. I have in mind a "should" cost when I first begin researching an itinerary I want. If pricing doesn't come close to that "should" cost, then I don't go.

A few years ago that was correct. The 50% supplement for a single to book an inside was the norm. However, in more recent years that has ended. The norm now is full double for all cabins, with a few rare exceptions.

I just went to the HAL website and on the first two cruises I randomly checked --a fairly popular Mediterranean route on the Nieuw Amsterdam and a Panama Canal cruise on the Veendam -- the fare for a solo in an inside cabin was 160%.

(I did not log in or identify myself as a Mariner; I have found on HAL this doesn't necessarily work in your favor...)

My favorite online travel agency lists solo cruises. A number of Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises have 0% single supplements. Silversea generally has a 25% single supplement. Princess and Azamara occasionally make the list. The July 9 Volendam cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage is listed as a 15% markup for singles, but with a starting price of $3049 for a nine night cruise it does not strike me as a bargain.

As others suggested, it is the total price with air, hotels and taxes and fees that matters.

Well, it wasn't the "norm" for me on my recent Ryndam cruise, booked in an Interior Stateroom! :) I must have been one of the "few rare exceptions"! ;)

For the last four or five years my wife and I have done TA cruises in either Spring or Fall with HAL. My wife has recently passed away and I still want to continue cruising and would like very much to continue with HAL. I recently booked a TA from Harwich to Ft. Lauderdale this Fall in a balcony as a single on Celebrity. I thought the fare was reasonable. I am looking at a TA for the Spring of 2015 on NCL from Miami to Copenhagen as a single in a balcony with what I think is a reasonable fare. Because I cannot picture myself sharing a cabin with anyone other than my wife, I guess I will have to look at inside cabins on HAL.

I just checked my cruise history for the last two years since my husband died, sailing as a single, and the single supplement on Princess was usually 60%, but only 40% on one December cruise. HAL has been 60% on all cruises, including VOV and upcoming Panama Canal and Alaska cruises. These were all for either oceanview or insides. I check the percentages on all cruises I book and HAL seems to always come in at 59%. The balconies were great when we were a couple, but the 100% supplement isn't worth it to me. I did splurge last year on VOV to an aft-facing Vista Suite, but my upsell add-on was doubled. Still cheaper than an original booking would have been, but more than my first house cost back in 1954!

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

HAL 4* ....................Princess ELITE