How to bring water

I'm going on the explorer Saturday and I've never brought water with us before but my gf got a 12 pack for us to take to the beaches, I have an extra suit case that will go empty to put dirty clothes in and my suit, should I put the water in the bag or put a luggage tag on it like some people say?

We just did this on our oasis sailing March 15. We used a carry on suitcase and put just the water in it. We left the water in all of its packaging and did not check the carry on. When we checked in they sent us over to baggage inspection where the person took the water out and shook it to make sure it wasn't alcohol. She then put it back in the carry on and sent us on our way. We brought 4 six packs of water. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We typically keep our water in the shrink wrap it is sealed in, so they understand no hanky panky went on and we didn't replace with vodka. We've always gotten our water that we just put in a soft sided cooler with the luggage tag on.

However, you are sailing during spring break. The tend to enforce the rules no matter what during spring break. So don't get too upset if they keep the water. Just know technically you may not bring your own water/soda on board.

Have never had any problem bringing a case of water on board.

Most all of us that have tried have never had a problem. :)

That said, its Spring Break and there is already a thread going on right now about soda getting confiscated and there being big stacks of water by the metal detectors at certain embarking ports that were also confiscated.

To the OP, it doesnt hurt to try but be prepared to lose it :)

We pack three to four bottles in our carry on, and then just refill them at the sink

tap in our cabin. The water on the ship is very good quality and is put through a

better filter and treatment system than some commercially bottled water companies.

No to mention your carbon foot print is much smaller and lighter that way. ;)

We pack three to four bottles in our carry on, and then just refill them at the sink

tap in our cabin. The water on the ship is very good quality and is put through a

better filter and treatment system than some commercially bottled water companies.

I had a very bad experience with the tap water in my sink. There was no cold water. It turned out to be a blockage in the faucet and after they cleared it the water came out dark brown for a few minutes, even though the water was clear when it was only coming out hot. After I saw that I will never drink out of bathroom sink again. The process of filtering the water may be the best, but I worry about the plumbing it has to go through.

I never had a problem with bringing water on board. I put it in a soft side cooler with nothing else, and put a luggage tag on it.

I had a very bad experience with the tap water in my sink. There was no cold water. It turned out to be a blockage in the faucet and after they cleared it the water came out dark brown for a few minutes, even though the water was clear when it was only coming out hot. After I saw that I will never drink out of bathroom sink again. The process of filtering the water may be the best, but I worry about the plumbing it has to go through.

I never had a problem with bringing water on board. I put it in a soft side cooler with nothing else, and put a luggage tag on it.

Yuck! :eek:

But that can happen...even in your own home. The trouble is if you want to avoid the water on board, you will have to have drinks with no ice, drink no coffee, drink no juice (all concentrate with water) no ice tea, lemonade...etc. ;)

Yuck! :eek:

But that can happen...even in your own home. The trouble is if you want to avoid the water on board, you will have to have drinks with no ice, drink no coffee, drink no juice (all concentrate with water) no ice tea, lemonade...etc. ;)

I would hope that they are a lot more careful with the plumbing at the bars and restaurants. I would assume that they are checking the water there for contamination. The problem with my bathroom sink was the aeroator. So if you find your water not coming out either cold or hot, or not good pressure, I wouldn't drink it.

I do have to admit, I have a problem drinking water from any bathroom sink, even my own, even though I know it's the same water in the rest of the house.:o

For water I usually bring my own reusable water bottles from home and fill them at the water station in the Wind Jammer. I have them empty for embarkation to avoid any issues. That being said, when traveling with other friends, we were able to bring a case of water on board with us. We put it in a bag of its own and put a luggage tag on it.

I'm going on the explorer Saturday and I've never brought water with us before but my gf got a 12 pack for us to take to the beaches, I have an extra suit case that will go empty to put dirty clothes in and my suit, should I put the water in the bag or put a luggage tag on it like some people say?

Can you let us know what you wind up doing and how you make out when you get back? I am going on the Explorer in May and would like to do the same.

I hadn't thought of bringing my own water. I drink a lot of water, does anyone know how much a bottle of water cost on the ship? Also, has anyone checked water for an international flight? We leave out of Barcelona.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was friends with a crew member once and he told me that the crew does NOT want to drink the ship's water. He said that in port, he had seen the water tank being cleaned out and there was debris to include a dead bird. That image has always stayed with me.

We bought a case of water right before we went to the port. Had the porter literally tape a luggage tag on to our case of water and off it went. Showed up outside our room, albeit it appeared that one passerby in the hallway decided to help him/herself to a bottle. But hey, it beats having to lug it around in my carry on before the cabins open. And certainly cheaper than the ridiculously expensive water package that they sell you onboard.

I was friends with a crew member once and he told me that the crew does NOT want to drink the ship's water. He said that in port, he had seen the water tank being cleaned out and there was debris to include a dead bird. That image has always stayed with me.

Do you really think a ship would pass CDC inspection with that kind of thing going on? I'm sure he was pulling your leg.

I know from my research that the use on cruise ships of more energy efficient Reverse Osmosis to supplement Waste Engine Heat Distillation to provide the ship's water from sea water can result in that water having a high sodium content so I tend to drink low sodium bottle water while onboard as I have hypertension. RO is more likely to be used on itineraries with close together port stops like the Eastern Caribbean where there isn't a lot of sail time and distance between the ports and less likely to be used on a TA cruise where there is lots of waste heat available from the engines to operate the water distillation units with the long distances the ship is covering.

I posted this on the Brilliance soda confiscated thread that was closed but is still available to read. I was told to just bring a small Brita filter to remove the excess sodium. I couldn't respond to that post because of that thread's closure but can respond here.

Brita filters do not remove sodium ions from water. They basically remove suspended matter with filtration and have activated carbon to remove some of the organic matter that provide for bad taste and color but aren't really that effective in doing this with the very short contact time the water has with the activated carbon which doesn't allow sufficient time for the absorption of the organic matter. What these are very effective at is in the removal of the small amount of chlorine disinfective added to the water as carbon acts as a catalyst that causes the chlorine to gas off immediately. Activated carbon with its very high surface area to weight ratio is very effective for removal of chlorine which many associate with bad tasting water. If you have a very sensitive nose you may get a slight chlorine odor from the water running out of the tap but it will taste better without that chlorine in it.:)

Edited by robtulipe

Don't believe everything you hear. Surely this cannot be true.

Yes, I think a ship could pass a CDC inspection with a dead bird in the water. With a large amount of water, a dead bird isn't going to be able to add enough bacteria to cause a failing water test and I doubt the CDC is peering into the reservoir. It's the idea that is appalling.

Also, it is not as if the CDC spends an appreciable amount of time aboard each ship.

I am an RN in infection control and prevention at a medical center. In the real world, things aren't anywhere near as pristine as you might hope them to be.

Bottled water frankly is often just tap water. It rarely comes from a pure bubbling spring.

However, I think fresh water is hard to come by on a cruise ship. If some poor crew member finds a dead bird in the precious fresh water tank, I think it is unlikely that the decision is going to be made quickly to drain out all that precious water. I think someone is going to pull the bird out and be quiet about it.

I am another nurse weighing in on this, sounds like urban legend.

That said I am leaving on 20th on Navigator and was told you can bring a sealed 14 pack of water onboard and they will put luggage tag on it at port.

If this is not so, someone chime in.

That said I am leaving on 20th on Navigator and was told you can bring a sealed 14 pack of water onboard and they will put luggage tag on it at port.

If this is not so, someone chime in.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details/print.do?faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqType=faq