Transportation from Seattle and Vancouver

THE G TEAM

We are cruising Alaska, back to back, out of Vancouver on June 23rd. It is much less expensive to fly from Detroit to Seattle than Detroit to Vancouver. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting from Seattle to Vancouver? Any info would be appreciated.

We took the Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle last year. It was a very nice ride. We were late getting into Seattle, not sure if this is a usual occurrence or not. I would plan to arrive in Vancouver at least the day before the cruise and then not fly out of Seattle until the day after the cruise. I know part of our delay last year was that a train had derailed and they had to reroute the Cascades onto some freight tracks and they had to pick up an engineer that was familiar with the tracks to drive the train through. Beautiful scenery though.

I have taken the Quick Shuttle Bus out of SeaTac to downtown Vancouver hotels. It was a very clean comfortable ride with a restroom and good vieiws. Well worth the money in my view. Have a great cruise.

Edited by dustyroad

some of your options are:

-cruiseline transfer

-amtrak cascades train or bus

- quick coach

- bolt bus

- alaska/horizon airlines

- rental car

With the buses, be mindful of where they pick up and drop off, espeically if you have a flight to catch. ie the train stations are not at seatac airport OR the vancouver pier so you will need additional transportation at either end.

We plan to use Quickshuttle in May. It doesn't drop off at the Vancouver Pier until after May 11, presumably because there is no demand prior to that. The schedule is posted on their web-site, http://www.quickshuttle.com and there are five different pickup locations in the Seattle area, as opposed to just one (or two?) for the train. It is much cheaper than Amtrak. If the main reason for flying into Seattle is to save money, then taking the shuttle does that : )

Edited by tennisbets

The Amtrak train operates twice a day in either direction and is a very relaxed way to make the commute. The Bolt bus operates 4 time a day in either direction but only leaves and arrives from one station. Quick Shuttle is a little more flexible and when you look at their site and scroll down the page you should see their summer sked. They do offer some express trips to and from Canada Place and do offer a few more stops. Obviously the most flexible way is to rent a car and drive but you need to allow a full five hours in either direction with border lines and you may run into some prohibitive drop charges.

It is much cheaper than Amtrak. If the main reason for flying into Seattle is to save money, then taking the shuttle does that : )

I'm confused on what you are comparing when you say the shuttle is cheaper.

When I checked the fares on the Quick Shuttle website, it shows that a summer one-way adult fare from Seatac to Vancouver is $58.50.

I just purchased a one-way fare on the Amtrak Cascades for $29.00. That is half the price of the shuttle.

I do admit that by the time we pay transportation costs to the train station downtown...and take a taxi from the Vancouver train station to our hotel that costs will be close...but I think the train will still be a tiny bit less.

We are cruising Alaska, back to back, out of Vancouver on June 23rd. It is much less expensive to fly from Detroit to Seattle than Detroit to Vancouver. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting from Seattle to Vancouver? Any info would be appreciated.

I'm not sure I follow your premise. I did a quick search on Kayak and it was virtual identical to fly DTW-SEA, DTW-YVR or YXU-YVR. Personally I'd probally take the YXU-YVR (via YYC) on Westjet because you get a free piece of luggage too.

By the time you factor in a half day to get from Vancouver to Seattle plus a $50 transfer, I can't see how it's worthwhile.

I have taken the Quick Shuttle Bus out of SeaTac to downtown Vancouver hotels. It was a very clean comfortable ride with a restroom and good vieiws. Well worth the money in my view. Have a great cruise.
If looking for convenience, that is really about the easiest way to do it as the Quick Shuttle picks you up right there at Seatac airport, the prices are reasonable, and you do not have to start schlepping your luggage around to the train station, or anywhere else.

It is a nice choice if you are jetlagged and don't feel like driving.

Otherwise, you can get a one-way rental car right there at the airport.

Just walk down the line of rental car vendors and compare prices, unless you already have a car reserved in advance.

The train requires more effort on both ends, but is more scenic than the bus or car ride, and you can get up and walk around on a train.

There are also flights from SEA to YVR, usually the most expensive way to go, but very convenient and with great coastal scenery if you sit on the left side of the plane.

It is like getting an additional flightseeing tour.

We did that one time when we arrived at Seatac planning to ride Quick Shuttle to Vancouver.

We noticed that a plane was leaving for Vancouver before the next bus was scheduled to arrive. So we asked, and it turned out that they had very reasonable last minute closeout prices available for the flight that day.

As long as you are right there at the airport anyway, look up at the monitors.

If you see that a flight is leaving for Vancouver soon, it can't hurt to ask.

You still have the other options available if the flight is too expensive or sold out.

Edited by fleckle

I'm confused on what you are comparing when you say the shuttle is cheaper.

When I checked the fares on the Quick Shuttle website, it shows that a summer one-way adult fare from Seatac to Vancouver is $58.50.

I just purchased a one-way fare on the Amtrak Cascades for $29.00. That is half the price of the shuttle.

I do admit that by the time we pay transportation costs to the train station downtown...and take a taxi from the Vancouver train station to our hotel that costs will be close...but I think the train will still be a tiny bit less.

Amtrak sells its seats on an yield management basis so your fare really depends upon when you purchase your fare and how full the train is. If you are able to book early as it appears you can....then Amtrak is a slam dunk from a price perspective, just as long as their sked works for you.

Thank you all for the much needed info. I guess we're going to have to decide how much the convenience of the Quick Shuttle is worth compared to the less expensive, but more physically demanding, train/bus transfer.

Thank you all for the much needed info. I guess we're going to have to decide how much the convenience of the Quick Shuttle is worth compared to the less expensive, but more physically demanding, train/bus transfer.

You might want to do train/bus one way and then the other option for the return. I usually want to get the more complicated/physically demanding option over with on the front side of the trip because when it's time to go home, I'm usually pretty tired.

For what it is worth, here is a completely different point of view, born of real agonizing experiences.

We would take the cruise line transfer.

The reason for this is that the cruise line transfer is a bus load of "boring" people most likely to be carrying proper and valid identification to cross the border. If, for example, the Quick Shuttle stops southbound at the Campbell Valley Store and picks up one person you are then rolling the dice with how fast you will cross the border.

I think you'd be better off driving to London ON and flying from there. It's marginally more expensive but you end up on Vancouver, not Seattle, save yourself half a day in travelling, and the $60 cost of the transfer

You could also fly into Bellingham USA and get on the quick shuttle for $28 pp one way or $49 roundtrip. Remember that Amtrak is in USD and Quickshuttle is in CDN.

For what it is worth, here is a completely different point of view, born of real agonizing experiences.

We would take the cruise line transfer.

The reason for this is that the cruise line transfer is a bus load of "boring" people most likely to be carrying proper and valid identification to cross the border. If, for example, the Quick Shuttle stops southbound at the Campbell Valley Store and picks up one person you are then rolling the dice with how fast you will cross the border.

This was a major concern of mine, so I contacted them and (for what its worth) was told that they now check passengers to be sure they have the proper documents before allowing them to board a bus that crosses an international border, much the way that airlines do for international flights.

I asked what happens if the documents satisfy the Quick Shuttle people who allow them to board the bus, but not the agents at the border, as I was concerned that the entire busload of passengers might be detained.

The woman from Quick Shuttle assured me that they will offload the passenger/s in question at the border and the bus will continue on without them.

Then, after further investigation, depending on the outcome the suspected passengers would either be put on the next bus heading to their destination, or the next bus back to where they originated.

If looking for convenience, that is really about the easiest way to do it as the Quick Shuttle picks you up right there at Seatac airport, the prices are reasonable, and you do not have to start schlepping your luggage around to the train station, or anywhere else.It is a nice choice if you are jetlagged and don't feel like driving.

Otherwise, you can get a one-way rental car right there at the airport.

Just walk down the line of rental car vendors and compare prices, unless you already have a car reserved in advance.

The train requires more effort on both ends, but is more scenic than the bus or car ride, and you can get up and walk around on a train.

There are also flights from SEA to YVR, usually the most expensive way to go, but very convenient and with great coastal scenery if you sit on the left side of the plane.

It is like getting an additional flightseeing tour.

We did that one time when we arrived at Seatac planning to ride Quick Shuttle to Vancouver.

We noticed that a plane was leaving for Vancouver before the next bus was scheduled to arrive. So we asked, and it turned out that they had very reasonable last minute closeout prices available for the flight that day.

As long as you are right there at the airport anyway, look up at the monitors.

If you see that a flight is leaving for Vancouver soon, it can't hurt to ask.

You still have the other options available if the flight is too expensive or sold out.

that is why it was so good for me. I got my bag and walked out the last door on the right in the baggage area. the bus is there to pick you up. at the time I used them they would not let you on unless you had a copy of your confirmation with you, so make sure it is with all passengers in your group. I love having others do the driving.

We did the Quick Shuttle last September as it was a last minute trip and could not get the flights to work out into Vancouver. If we ever do it again, it would be my last option.

We boarded the bus at the airport, just after 6:00am. The driver would not let anyone off the bus for any reason as he had a schedule to keep, although at several stops, he took time to use a real restroom & get coffee and food for himself. Tip #1, bring snacks/drinks (no fresh fruit unless you eat it before the border) with you as can be a long trip, depending on the number of stops & border crossing. The bathroom on board had a toilet, but the sink did not work and only had a bottle of hand sanitizer up behind the driver.

Also, realize that the bus may be making several stops to drop people off or pick up more along the way. Their map shows I believe 12 possible places along the route. All of this adds more time sitting there. When we got to the border, one guy on the bus was not going to the cruise, but was looking for a job. The bus waited on this guy for 20 minutes and he did get back on. They said at the start of the trip if someone could not enter the country, they would leave them at the border to catch the next bus back, although we were not expecting them to wait so long.

We finally go there at 1:30, so almost 8 hours sitting in the same place and was only allowed off to go through Canada immigration.

The ride back was a little better as only two stops at the airports in Washington and that trip only took 6 hours. That driver did let everyone get off the bus at the first airport and told us in advance, there was restrooms right inside the door & a place to grab something to eat.

It was about the cheapest option at the time, however we both agreed we would not take it again.

Just our opinion & experience.

We usually rent a car. We have done a one-way rental in both directions. Rental car companies are always shuttling cars back and forth between the 2 cities. The rates are around $100+ per day but no drop fees.

For anyone who has done Amtrak, Vancouver to Seattle, which of the two stations is better/easier more pleasant? Will likely leave Vancouver after our Panama Canal disembarkation and head directly to Seattle, overnight and then fly home to Houston from SeaTac the next day.

TIA

For anyone who has done Amtrak, Vancouver to Seattle, which of the two stations is better/easier more pleasant? Will likely leave Vancouver after our Panama Canal disembarkation and head directly to Seattle, overnight and then fly home to Houston from SeaTac the next day.

TIA

In my opinion, the Pacific Central Station in Vancouver is not bad, but is a little Grayhound-ish. The King St Station in Seattle is really beautiful since they recently restored the station back into its original 1900's glory. Here is an article showing pics of the restored station.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/blogs/daily/2014/03/king-street-station-seattle-renovation-zgf-architects

Edited by pizzalady1

Its about a 3 and 1/2 hour to 4 hour trip (average)

I love to take the train up from seattle.

try amtrak.com

alternatively, there is quickshuttle, and or renting a car.

have a great time on your cruise.