Keurig Desktop

Rockymountainsparky

AMEN! Rules are good for all and should be observed!:D

Exactly. Why break the rules. They are not hard to follow. I have seen many rule breakers. Bottom line is we have dishonest people everywhere and some day those rule breakers may not be smiling anymore thinking they are getting away with stuff. Just have a great cruise and enjoy yourself, but be honest at the same time.

Maybe I am just paranoid but hope that I am not on a cruise where someone "gets by with bringing household appliances" that are restricted. They are restricted for a reason. This is why I asked earlier if Princess allowed household appliances.

It is like the person saying they always bring an iron and never get caught...does that mean it is okay? A fire on a cruise ship is serious business.

An example what a just a cigarette on a balcony can do:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=star+princess+fire&qpvt=star+princess+fire&FORM=IGRE

We nearly always bring our Keurig along on land trips but for cruising that is just way too much baggage to deal with. DH just runs down to the IC first thing for a couple of great cups of coffee. Oh, and by the way, I know many models are different but the heating element in our Keurig is always on.

I just reviewed the passenger contract and FAQ pages and can't find anywhere where a coffee pot is prohibited. I did not "sneak" mine on; it was in my carry on and it was placed on the desk and used daily. No one said a word. 700 watts is nothing and the small one cup Keurig pot does not stay on and hot and ready to use. You add water one cup at a time, turn on and it brews and shuts off as does my little portable pot. You have more of a chance of fire from hairdryers and curling irons than that. Just my humble opinion. My pot will be with me every cruise unless they tell me no in which case I will leave it home.

OP - maybe you could ask Princess directly on their Facebook page? I'm putting this idea out there even though I don't do Facebook :D but I've read of them responding to other questions.

Great idea. Don't want to go anything prohibited but they need to tell us if it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Other lines do have kettles/pots but are they not tested to safety standards? Someone bringing on an appliance with a heating element and not necessarily conforming to the safety standards required by ships, I would say was deemed as potentially hazardous. It doesn't say that irons are acceptable but they do not allow them. With virtually every poster on here calling for the OP to get a coffee card and to forget the pot, the OP is still insisting on bringing it until they are told otherwise - by then it could be too late !!

The Captain's announcement at muster drill on Sapphire Thursday stated that kettles, coffeemakers and other heating appliances that are not thermostatically controlled (I'm thinking a heating pad?) are prohibited. That tells me that a coffeemaker with an automatic shutoff feature is allowed. My Bodrum hot water kettle is less of a hazard than my flatiron (for hair, not clothing), since all of the electrical elements are enclosed and can't touch anything. But the language could be clearer.

Royal Caribbean places hot water kettles in all cabins on ships sailing from the UK (and perhaps Australia) but only has them in Junior suites and above on other sailings. I see no logic to this approach - just because one pays more for a cabin doesn't make one more safety-conscious. And the devices, although they do have an auto-shutoff feature, are often pretty old, and I would bet are no safer than any UL-stamped appliance. I believe the NCL provides them in their higher end suites as well.

I believe that thermostatically controlled means that when the thermostat hits a particular temperature the device turns off. Like the plug in water kettles that heat up and when the water is hot enough it shuts off. If the little Kuerig does that it would probably be Ok. I would still unplug it when not in use.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have read posts and threads where people advocate the use of extension cords, holiday lights to decorate the cabin, power strips to plug in a dozen electronic devices, white noise machines, DVD players, and fans. Not once was there a concern of a fire being started. Now to me if you are plugging in all of these devices into one outlet via a power strip there would be a greater chance of overloading the circuit than just one coffee maker being use properly. Nobody drinks more coffee than me and obviously I don't sail Princess for the amazing coffee in Horizon court but I would do without coffee for a week or two before I schlepped a Keurig and all of the coffee pods with me on a cruise. However, I returned my Keurig after 2 days of use because I couldn't get a large enough cup of coffee that didn't taste like dishwater. The coffee in HC was actually better.

Someone bringing on an appliance with a heating element and not necessarily conforming to the safety standards required by ships

Where are these required safety standards defined by Princess, please?

If the passage contract says not to bring a coffee maker, I won't.

If the captain asks folks not to use a coffee maker, I won't.

If 20 posters on cruise critic tell me I can't, I will treat those

comments with the same respect I give to the dress code threads:

lots of opinion proffered as fact.

Edited by pablo222

well I did post the question on the facebook Princess page and the answer was "no" but we all know how many different responses we get from Princess reps. I wouldn't drag a Keurig with me, but my little 4 lb thermos cup brewer fits nicely and I will bring it next time. I will ask my cabin steward if it's OK prior to using it though. I wouldn't risk anyone's safety. I still maintain that any auto turn off pot is safer than a hair dryer.

I am sure that your coffee maker with automatic shut off is perfectly safe and it sounds as though you will be a responsible user. And God knows, anyone who has raised ten children definitely deserves to sit in her robe and enjoy a good cup of coffee. Enjoy your next cruise.;)

I don't think there is an issue with Keurig coffee makers per se that have the automatic shutoff (the biggest concern is if the shutoff malfunctions).

The difference between a hair dryer and a coffee maker is not only the power it draws, but its easy to tell if a hair dryer is running in most cases (there is an active on off switch and generally a loud noise).

The risk (minimal but there) with coffee makers is that if the auto-shutoff is not working, there is no visible or audible evidence to indicate a problem until, well, poof. The same issue exists with hair straighteners, curling irons, etc. In addition, since they are often packed in luggage, they can take a lot of impacts, increasing the risk for failure.

The lines that provide kettles make sure they use ones with a good auto-shutoff, but even then try to limit the number on board as they can.

Right now, Princess seems to be tolerant, but if they ever do have an issue, the ban hammer will be swift and sure.

As noted, there is nothing currently in the passage contract or cruise answer book that prohibits one, so go ahead and bring one that's in good condition. If you notice when you get on board that it appears to have not done so well in luggage, don't use it...

My curling iron is much more of a fire hazard than an automatic coffee maker and I always bring it. No one cares. I also sleep with my personal fan and the day they ban that a lot of people will have to stop cruising. My friend also brings her fan and they actually fixed it for her on the ship once when the motor stopped working.

When I cruise with my elderly mother, I usually always bring an automatic one cup coffee maker and it's never been confiscated. She wakes up much earlier than I. A year or so ago, the cabin supervisor did come and check it out and said it was fine because it shut off automatically.

The worse part about cruising with a coffee maker is if you have to fly with it. Lugging around extra stuff is not fun.

Some questions you learn never to ask here. Like can I wear jeans in the dining room? :D

As noted, there is nothing currently in the passage contract or cruise answer book that prohibits one, so go ahead and bring one that's in good condition. If you notice when you get on board that it appears to have not done so well in luggage, don't use it...

I do remember the ban of coffee makers mentioned during the Muster Drill talk when I cruised last on Princess (2 years ago).

well I did post the question on the facebook Princess page and the answer was "no" but we all know how many different responses we get from Princess reps. I wouldn't drag a Keurig with me, but my little 4 lb thermos cup brewer fits nicely and I will bring it next time. I will ask my cabin steward if it's OK prior to using it though. I wouldn't risk anyone's safety. I still maintain that any auto turn off pot is safer than a hair dryer.

So you ask your question on the Princess FB page, they tell you 'NO' you cannot bring your Keurig. So now you state Princess reps don't know what they are talking about.

I would hope someone monitoring and responding on the FB page would have more knowledge than a customer service rep.

It's scary what has become of society. No one seems to think the rules apply to them. Rules are for everyone else. Hell, it's my vacation that I paid good money for. I can do and dress however I want and nobody is going to tell me differently. It's a sad state of affairs. :(

Stay-cations are starting to sound better. :rolleyes:

My curling iron is much more of a fire hazard than an automatic coffee maker and I always bring it. No one cares. I also sleep with my personal fan and the day they ban that a lot of people will have to stop cruising. My friend also brings her fan and they actually fixed it for her on the ship once when the motor stopped working.

When I cruise with my elderly mother, I usually always bring an automatic one cup coffee maker and it's never been confiscated. She wakes up much earlier than I. A year or so ago, the cabin supervisor did come and check it out and said it was fine because it shut off automatically.

The worse part about cruising with a coffee maker is if you have to fly with it. Lugging around extra stuff is not fun.

Some questions you learn never to ask here. Like can I wear jeans in the dining room? :D

Now I'm getting nervous :eek:

So you ask your question on the Princess FB page, they tell you 'NO' you cannot bring your Keurig. So now you state Princess reps don't know what they are talking about.

I would hope someone monitoring and responding on the FB page would have more knowledge than a customer service rep.

It's scary what has become of society. No one seems to think the rules apply to them. Rules are for everyone else. Hell, it's my vacation that I paid good money for. I can do and dress however I want and nobody is going to tell me differently. It's a sad state of affairs. :(

Stay-cations are starting to sound better. :rolleyes:

Princess didn't actually respond to her, just a couple of posters on Facebook.

Princess didn't actually respond to her, just a couple of posters on Facebook.

Thanks. I double checked and indeed Princess did not respond. Same difference of opinions there (facebook) as on here.

Don't know why anyone bothers to respond to anything with all the nasty, rude people who can't keep their negativity to themselves. This is to share opinions and knowledge and experiences. Everyone's are different. Respect others' posts without the rudeness and everyone would be happier.

I can only say that I did bring a Black and Decker single cup brewer with automatic shut off and no hot plate (brews into a thermal mug) on my last 2 cruises (CB), left it in plain view on the desk and no one said I could not use it. Had no problems with electricity and kept it unplugged except when using it in the morning.